What was it like back in the day????

Originally Posted by Burns1923

It's astounding that people think 1999-2003 was "back in the day".

If you want to be accurate, "back in the day" is 1985-1993. And it was Nike Air Jordans back then. There was no "Jordan Brand".

And back in 1985-1993, Air Jordan shoes were readily available. Like walk-in-the-store-6-months-after-release-and-buy-my-size available. Like find-a-full-size-run-of-original-Carmine-VI's-at-the-Nike-Outlet-in-1992 available. Like stores-often-got-restocks-of-models-and-colorways available. Like J.C.-Penney-carried-Air-Jordans available.

Back then, Air Jordans were a premier shoe but they were still just a shoe, which meant that people bought them because they were the IT shoe to wear but wore them into the ground until the new Air Jordan model released or moved on to other shoes. Notice I said "wear" and not "own" or "collect".

For those who didn't grow up in that era or were not yet born, I don't hold that missed opportunity against you. But there is an enormous difference between your conception of what Air Jordans are and mean and what Air Jordans were like in the years of Jordan's young prime when they originally released. The presence both MJ and Air Jordans had in culture in 1985-1993 was a truly special thing that will never be replicated. So, whenever one of us "old timers" chimes in with a "This is how it used to be" story, don't be so quick to tune us out. We're the ones who can report the past.
AMEN TO THAT

Back in the day??? Ahhhh, it was good, so so good ! No such thing as quickstrikes and limited releases really with campouts/resellers and crazy market prices! The young dudes were the ones buying the shoes, and wearing them down to the ground, the way they were meant to be worn!

If you dudes were spoiled like me, my mom use to take me to the store once or twice a month and I would get a new pair lol... Walk in, Jordan xi columbias? Oh cool I'll take them at retail no line/wait/hassle!

I remember when I was the first to have the xi concords in 4th grade I believe for me, everyone was scared to buy and wear them, everyone thought they were so ugly! I was a Jordan die hard, so of course I had to get them even though deep down I even thought I would get made fun of because of the patent leather, and yes everyone hated them haha! My boy spilled chocolate milk on them, and yes while I was a little upset, I brushed it off and went out for recess to play ball in them!

Let's not forget how early you were able to get Jordans in the mid/late 90's early 2000's, I use to get mine a month early before everyone!

The soul was ripped out of the game for me, and now it's filled with a more cut throat and pure business one , such is life..

I am just going after childhood favorites that hold some sentimental value to me right now, as I have been out of sneakers for the past 7-8 years or so.

I remember going to the mall with my mom after school in 6th grade walkin' into Hulen Mall in Ft. Worth tryin' on few pairs of the Infra VI's and walkin' out with them just to bounce around and rock 'em in front of my friends who were like "ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Word!"  There was always static in DFW with hot gear and as lil kids we still had kids talkin about jackin' each other for kicks and Starter and Apex jackets (all Cowboys of course), but it usually came to nothing.

When we got the retro series from 1999-2003 I was living in Florida around Tampa and then Gainesville and it was so nice and chill to wait for the store to open up with fellow heads, gettin' nice
smokin.gif
 while we waited...then everybody bein' chill droppin' the kicks right there and rockin'.  Made some good friends at those releases that I still talk to 10 years later.  All this reselling garbage and hype/hate wasn't really around for me, or I just didn't notice it.  I just loved the shoes.  It took me back to bein' a little kid and idolizing Mike when I didn't know any better.

I'd do without a lot while I was in college to make sure I could cop those 2001-2003 retros that dropped.  I guess I wasn't really in the game when the change occurred, or maybe it just seemed so drastic because I was out of touch with everything living in Costa Rica and rural areas of Southern Massachusetts and traveling so much, I just wasn't payin' as much attention to kicks back then.  Once I started to get my money right after getting my first real good paying job out of college and settled down a bit it was obvious that things had changed.  Just seems like so much drama, hating, hyping, profit-seeking, complaining (at times with good reason), etc...nowadays. 

I miss those days, but they are long gone and we will never see them again.  Got me reminiscing now...but, it is what it is....
tired.gif

Originally Posted by BrockBo

I here bits a piece's of storys but i just want to know what it was like back when there lines for jays and every body was getting up early to be first in line at the mall to get retros not this fusion stuff. Im 14 and realy wasnt in to shoe's back when all the retros that where coming out where must have's and kids my age either rock fusions or fakes and they just dont care. But me I know my sneakers and i just want to here from some older guys what it was like to camp out and stuff like that.

Im only about 6 years older than you, but I was just like you... I called all my kicks by their name(Griffeys, retros, etc...) since middle school and funny thing is nobody knew what I was talking about lol... but Ive been collecting for a min now and since ive started Ive notice a big change iin the game... I remember when it was all fun and games everybody from school talking about meeting up at the mall to cop Jays early Sat morning or arguing about what Mj did in which shoe with the bball players... then all of sudden everybody wasnt getting their kicks all the time, there were ppl beating the crowd coppin like 3 or 4 pair and I was like why... (before I knew about the resell game) then i started seein dudes with these fake/bootleg kicks...The game has never been the same since...

Originally Posted by MartyMcFresh

Originally Posted by BrockBo

I here bits a piece's of storys but i just want to know what it was like back when there lines for jays and every body was getting up early to be first in line at the mall to get retros not this fusion stuff. Im 14 and realy wasnt in to shoe's back when all the retros that where coming out where must have's and kids my age either rock fusions or fakes and they just dont care. But me I know my sneakers and i just want to here from some older guys what it was like to camp out and stuff like that.

Im only about 6 years older than you, but I was just like you... I called all my kicks by their name(Griffeys, retros, etc...) since middle school and funny thing is nobody knew what I was talking about lol... but Ive been collecting for a min now and since ive started Ive notice a big change iin the game... I remember when it was all fun and games everybody from school talking about meeting up at the mall to cop Jays early Sat morning or arguing about what Mj did in which shoe with the bball players... then all of sudden everybody wasnt getting their kicks all the time, there were ppl beating the crowd coppin like 3 or 4 pair and I was like why... (before I knew about the resell game) then i started seein dudes with these fake/bootleg kicks...The game has never been the same since...

what game??
tired.gif

i remeber back in theday i used to wake my dad up early as hell to drop me off @ the mall so i get my shoes hewould always tell em "you dont ever wake up on time for school but you'll get up early for some dam shoes" lol but it was m thign soem other kids @ school would be up there and we would all walk to school together no crazy madness didnt have to worry about someone trying to take them from us none of that we wlakedin got them and left and then when i got to high school there was always a group of us that ould skip lunch go get hem and come back it was easy now with the lines and camping out for days and all tht man i cnt do that i got bills andkids and stuff i cnt miss work like that so i gfot a couple of connects ill ask ot hold for me but if they cant then i dnt get them i try to send my girl sometimes but hse dnt like dealing with it either she aint no big sneakerhead btu back in the day was s much easier and cheaper there werent all these massice cw's it was simple 4-5 a yr for the longest then everything changed but i still try to keep up just some stuff i cnt keep up with but oh well.

Back in 2000/2001 - I just remember that Cool Grey XIs sold out within minutes of the release. I wanted to get my hands on a pair, but they were gone quick.

White/Red and White/UNC XI lows sold extremely quickly too. My local Footlocker took pre-orders on these about a week before the release, so I managed to pick up a pair of White/Red XI lows without having to stay in line. But then, Jordan III black/cement and true-blues sat for a few days at least, as well as the Jordan I Black/Royals. I remember showing up at 6am at Champs to pick up a pair of True-blues and I was only like 5th in line. I ordered Black/Royal Is through eastbay and showed up to the mall on Saturday evening, and the shoes were still on the shelves everywhere. They sat for about 2-3 weeks at least, along with Mocha IIIs (Mocha IIIs ultimately went on sale for like.. 79.99 or something like that before they were gone).

Fast forward a couple of years - when Cement IIIs release (white/cement), there were a lot of people in line... in front of Seattle Niketown, Finishline (pacific place), etc. I managed to get my pair (showed up around 5am), but I would say that was a pretty crazy release.

early 2000's. good times. great times.. wasn't too hard to get sneakers except for a select few and this was when i was living in cali. also a lot of gucci/lv/burberry fake #*% going around too. aside from jordans, af1's were at their peak. i remember when it was hard to even find all white low top af1's at one point and they were dropping on ebay for 130+ just for a pair. after a while i guess the appreciation for good quality and solid retro releases started to fade, from nike's standpoint at least. everything became "limited" this and "quickstrike" that, regardless of boo boo colorways and poor quality. really stopped caring for shoes for a while. and here we are now, where it seems shoes are being released week after week, another wack one after another. not to say that good stuff doesn't come along here and there, and i kinda like it that way actually, as long as i get mines haha.

one thing i learned from it all is just go after the ones that mean a lot to you, stop worrying about whats gonna sell out or whats gonna be worth a lot in the long run. as long as you are making a purchase that you won't regret, you are making the right decision.

Originally Posted by iLLGT2

Back in the day??? Ahhhh, it was good, so so good ! No such thing as quickstrikes and limited releases really with campouts/resellers and crazy market prices! The young dudes were the ones buying the shoes, and wearing them down to the ground, the way they were meant to be worn!

If you dudes were spoiled like me, my mom use to take me to the store once or twice a month and I would get a new pair lol... Walk in, Jordan xi columbias? Oh cool I'll take them at retail no line/wait/hassle!

I remember when I was the first to have the xi concords in 4th grade I believe for me, everyone was scared to buy and wear them, everyone thought they were so ugly! I was a Jordan die hard, so of course I had to get them even though deep down I even thought I would get made fun of because of the patent leather, and yes everyone hated them haha! My boy spilled chocolate milk on them, and yes while I was a little upset, I brushed it off and went out for recess to play ball in them!

Let's not forget how early you were able to get Jordans in the mid/late 90's early 2000's, I use to get mine a month early before everyone!

The soul was ripped out of the game for me, and now it's filled with a more cut throat and pure business one , such is life..

I am just going after childhood favorites that hold some sentimental value to me right now, as I have been out of sneakers for the past 7-8 years or so.

this story made me smilethis thread is good

man i remember in 1995 i cut lawns just so i can get the playoff xiis,i was so happy when i put them on my feet,after that my partner got a job there and been hooking me up since no waiting in lines,also i remember i got the cement iv for like 50 bucks with my partners discount they was on sell and sitting on shelves WHOA 

the last time i lined up for j's was for the low blue/blk xiiis.there were lines but it'd be 5-10 people who lined up at 7am for a 10am release. we never had crazy midnight releases or people camping weeks ahead. there was a point in time where i would cut to footlocker at lunch and get my sz with no problems. it was all about having a fresh pair to rock to school the next day , getting them early, and/or flossing them in a middle school away game. it was also a crazy time when dudes got stuck up or shot up because of j's like the xiv's. the bay has always been into kicks and although it's slowed down a bit, it's still nice to see everybody rockin their heat.

p.s. just remembered getting those postcards in the mail for the upcoming heaters(i.e. pennys, uptempos,gloves,zoom95s).....ahhhhh...

Originally Posted by mit9k

Back in the 90's when I was in high school jordans came out during the weekday. I use to miss 1st period on the release date to get my pair. By 2nd periodI was turning heads. I even had a hook up back then. My cousin homeboy use to work @ the local shoe store & he always had my pair waiting . I remember mysenior year he let me get the playoff XI's like two days before they put them on the shelves.

those were the days

i remember people getting the sneakers takin off there feet they would not take ur money but would get u for ur kicks and u could never ride the last subway car

i remember back when you to actually watch MJ play to see what shoes were coming out next, either that or you was lucky enough to know somebody with an Eastbay book. (which was rare in my area back then). there was no internet, thus there was NO HYPE, and you could literally get Jordans months late and STILL break necks in school.

oh the good 'ol days! i was 11 when i first remember trying on my uncles white red IV's (without the face!). quality was superior, MJ was cool back then, not a lot hypebeasts back then because most the age group that could really afford jordan's were either spoiled rich kids or employed individuals. i think the price back then was like $125.00, and to spend that money on a kid back in the 90's wasn't really attainable. back then, i'd never heard of campers, limited, quickstrikes, i mean if i'd travel back time as a 32 year old back in 1989 and would like to buy jordan's, seeing them on sales rack wouldn't even be a hard find at all. and back then jordan was NIKE, i believe since JB decided to detach itself from NIKE the whole quality went downhill, and if JB really wants to retro the shoes....THEY SHOULD LEAVE IT THE WAY IT WAS ORIGINALLY MADE, FORGET THE CRAZY CW'S, FACES, LIMITED, QUICKSTRIKES!

Wow I really do honestly miss the old days.. waking up with my brother and waking my dad up at 5 or 6 am going to the mall waiting for about an hour and copping a pair of retro XI breds, I remember these coming out sometime near christmas because it was a christmas present for me and my brother and there were no "hypebeasts" camping out for days, hours; no line cutting, no fights, no arguments just everyone (10 - 15 people) just waiting around the mall waiting for the doors to open. Admin has a great point, all these lines and camping and no1 really rock their jays as before. Kinda makes me realize Im falling into the whole hype by camping and not slipping my feet into the shoes I actually work and lose sleep over, Unfortunately quality is getting worse and shoes are getting pricier, I think its time to start enjoying the hard work and effort and actually let those shoes see the bright sun other than being stuck inside their boxes! We are all going to die someday or if God forbids something happens and the roof falls on your kicks then youre going to be thinking that you didnt even get to wear and enjoy your shoes and only have pictures of em! Rock em, dont box em!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom