What was life like in the 90s? Vol. Old heads chime in

I vaguely remember something about new laws basically requiring more educational programming for kids. The cartoons I/we grew up on probably didn’t meet the criteria. I remember a good 10 years ago having Saturday off from work, making a bowl of cereal ready for a nostalgia trip and no cartoons were on.
I had to do a paper once on child televesions and influence and all that and I remember readin that around the time the little ratings box started popping up in the corner on cartoons, there was a big shift in legislation and censoring and stuff. Really changed things.

Every region has its own identity in the 90’s. Now, everyone dresses the same…smh
Pre pandemic I thought they were actually. Weren’t there a lot of arcade/bars popping up? I live in LA and remember places like 1UP or Barcade being very popular. They had all the classic arcade games

1659372386443.jpeg

Personally the only thing better today is cell phones and internet. That’s something I can’t live without. But everything else was better back in the day

Sour powers
lemon heads
Nalaters
click clacks
Checkered BMX bikes
Decept Vs B.M.W [Brooklyn]
$2 heroes with a free c&c soda
Baby hats
ski masks
Used
Damage
Kani
Triple fat goose
block parties
Sega genesis [Altered beast, sonic, Mortal Kombat]
Super Nintendo [Mario, Street fighter]

Last edited:
Sour powers
lemon heads
Nalaters
click clacks
Checkered BMX bikes
Decept Vs B.M.W [Brooklyn]
$2 heroes with a free c&c soda
Baby hats
ski masks
Used
Damage
Kani
Triple fat goose
block parties
Sega genesis [Altered beast, sonic, Mortal Kombat]
Super Nintendo [Mario, Street fighter]
click clacks, yes. I swear that no buddy mentions these like I wasn't eem sure what they were called but I remember seeing a lot of them when I went to NYC in 1990

The other day this teenager was asking for choco tacos and I told him I didn’t know any stores in town and I’d just always used to get them off the ice cream truck. His response was ice cream truck?
My niece who lives in a upper class part of town thought ice cream trucks were only in the movies 🤣 she stayed with us a couple days and the ice cream truck came around the neighborhood twice that weekend. I do see less and less of them around. Most of the time you can find them near parks or the beach

For sure. And top of that, anything associated with McDonald’s is cool in my book.

As an adult, I still love eating McDonald’s to this day and I’ve got absolutely no shame in admitting that. *shrugs* lol
Same! Haha. I like eating it too but I’m getting older and need to chill, especially with the French fries :lol: They bring my butt in with those large $1 beverages.

My niece who lives in a upper class part of town thought ice cream trucks were only in the movies 🤣 she stayed with us a couple days and the ice cream truck came around the neighborhood twice that weekend. I do see less and less of them around. Most of the time you can find them near parks or the beach
Funny you mention that. Ice cream trucks stay away from wealthy areas and focus on working class/middle class neighborhoods

Block Parties with the electric slide
Waterballon fights
Playing Skully in the street
Spades On the stoop
Catching bugs putting them in a jar to see which won would win.
6am cartoons before school
(Ronin Warriors, Sailor Moon)
trying to get on Legends of the Hidden Temple and Guts on Nick
Fade with the part
Anti Skip CD players

Summer, ‘96, Brooklyn - don’t wear ur Bred XIs (or any Jordans for that matter) to any block or basement parties …. unless u about ‘that life’ … smh

Wonder if one day somebody will wonder what life was like in the 20s?

Anyways, if I could have one thing back, it'd definitely be the music.

Block Parties with the electric slide
Waterballon fights
Playing Skully in the street
Spades On the stoop
Catching bugs putting them in a jar to see which won would win.
6am cartoons before school
(Ronin Warriors, Sailor Moon)
trying to get on Legends of the Hidden Temple and Guts on Nick
Fade with the part
Anti Skip CD players
Reminded me of the movie crooklyn

Same! Haha. I like eating it too but I’m getting older and need to chill, especially with the French fries :lol: They bring my butt in with those large $1 beverages.
Actually surprised they still have $1 for any size fountain drink. Probably the best deal you can find for a drink beside Costco food court. McDonald’s is considered to have the best tasting Coca-Cola (think they have a unique recipe) and Sprite.

I’ll add some different things.
1. No GPS. Wanna travel? you buying an actual map and using the main roads.
2. The world seemed larger. No internet so you basically knew of major tourist attractions and that is it.
3. Flying was ten times easier. Just get on a plane lol.
4. No vegan foods, no real health choices besides salads.
5. We didn’t have the abundance of food choices. Yeah the mains and some locks restaurants but not 50 different burger spots.
6. Reading the actual newspaper for news. Getting ink on your hands.
7. Having your friends call on 3 way on the phone and someone is secretly listening.
8. Gangster Rap taking over then the revival of NYC music and the arrival of Outkast, 8ball & MJG etc while the south was still on “booty shake” music.
9. FREAKNIK in Atlanta. 🔥🔥🔥🔥
10. There was just less money in the financial system. A billionaire was rare. Now not so much.

Back
Top Bottom