What was the last ICONIC beat in hip-hop? Something that will be bumped 15/20 years from now...

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

A lot of this isn't iconic. They're huge songs that will be around for years, but not at a truly iconic status. Like people will still bump "Still D.R.E." till the end of time, and it'll probably be used in a movie or two within the next ten years. But right now it's not iconic or anything. "Power" is a great sports song, but it has a ways to go before being considered iconic.

Iconic is being used in sports and movie montages, commercials, and/or general theme music fairly regularly; and being instantly recognizable to the general public.

Yep. Most are listing great beats, only cause they're avid hip-hop listeners. The random 55 y.o. has never heard any of this stuff.  Imo it has to used in a movie or TV show to reach that level. Off top the only or most recent beat to get there was Shimmy Shimmy Ya in Knocked Up. And I'm talking about movies that can appeal to everyone. Not some +%%% like a dance movie or 8 Mile. They have specific audiences. here
Wait...yeah...THIS. take back the beats i said...i'm goin w/ Can't Tell Me Nothin. strictly off the strength of The Hangover 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by YngSeanCombs12

Lose Yourself? No.

Iconic BEAT...not song.

Plus, I would put Lose Yourself in the "What you know" category--meaning, it was a popular song that was featured in a movie and a lot of commercials. It was pushed out there.

[h3]What was the last ICONIC beat in hip-hop?[/h3]

I think there are two things that help make a song "iconic" to a certain extent...the beat and hook.  The beat is what draws you in...the hook is what you'll remember.  Look at Jump Around by House of Pain.  You hear the opening 3-5 seconds of the song and YOU KNOW.  Jump Around is 100% iconic. 

In Da Club...yup

Lose Yourself...yup

*And I do agree w. whoever said Grindin is more on the "classic" tip...could be debated on the iconic level. 

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

Only ones i see worth keepin from this thread that fit the criteria...in my mind

Group A:
99 problems 2003
Lose yourself 2002

Group B:
Drop it like its hot 2004
In da club 2003
I agree with this... these four songs were mainstream hits...
Beats like 'Shook Ones' and 'I Really Mean It' don't even register down south
laugh.gif
much less them being iconic

Wow at how poor a lot of these replies are...... most beats mentioned in here do not fit the criteria at all. Some $$#$+ in here mentioned Turn My Swag On.
30t6p3b.gif

Grindin' was my answer to the question in the title and OP's post. Didn't think it be the first reply. But whoever said Lose Yourself is the winner.

Shook Ones Pt. 2

full track or instrumental ........game over
p.s. went back and saw what some of yall said..if power is up there then ill put stronger above that. im sure some will argue that its a daft beat but meh whatever you say - still an iconic beat/song under some of the criteria you guys takin into consideration (i.e. sports, movies, shorts, etc)

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by YngSeanCombs12

Lose Yourself? No.

Iconic BEAT...not song.

Plus, I would put Lose Yourself in the "What you know" category--meaning, it was a popular song that was featured in a movie and a lot of commercials. It was pushed out there.

[h3]What was the last ICONIC beat in hip-hop?[/h3]

I think there are two things that help make a song "iconic" to a certain extent...the beat and hook.  The beat is what draws you in...the hook is what you'll remember.  Look at Jump Around by House of Pain.  You hear the opening 3-5 seconds of the song and YOU KNOW.  Jump Around is 100% iconic. 

In Da Club...yup

Lose Yourself...yup

*And I do agree w. whoever said Grindin is more on the "classic" tip...could be debated on the iconic level. 

Exactly. The last key is UNIVERSAL APPEAL. Michael Jackson's a pop icon because he was a representative of the genre to people of every facet of social life (and more than that of course), Michael Jordan was the same for basketball, etc.

Like I said before -- an ICON is what people see and know regarding a certain medium.

Be real, if you walked up to the average white family in the burbs and played them the INSTRUMENTALS to In Da Club, Grindin', Still DRE, and Lose Yourself... which one would they most likely recognize right away, putting a face or a name to the music they hear?

Lose Yourself.

However, In Da Club and Still DRE are really arguable. I guess I've just heard Lose Yourself get used in other media more frequently and universally than any other hip-hop song recently.

^^^^ I get what you're saying and I'm not trying to play Lose Yourself. But, to me, there's a difference between that was commercially PUSHED into being ICONIC and a song that PUSHED ITSELF...take for example Shimmy Shimmy Ya. That's not a track that's going to get that commercial push. At all. But because of how ICONIC it is (and the WU was) to hip-hop it made its way into mainstream society somehow. Same thing for Still Dre. Jump Around. I'm only speaking for myself, but I don't hear Lose Yourself outside of malls, shops, commercials--mainstream places. Nobody's going around bumping Lose Yourself saying "that was that !**!"...I won't roll down the street and occasionally hear that coming from inside a car. I can't say the same for In Da Club, Still Dre, a lot of ppl HATE the 99 problems beat, I still feel Grindin is more notable among rap/hip hop fans, Power could be one...but we would know years from now, Shook Ones? Only hip/hop heads.....again, that's just how I feel on it.

I think ppl are confused honestly....

Nostalgic vs Iconic?

I think OP was looking for nostalgic beats, maybe? Not Iconic? Outside of the ppl just throwing out their fav beats some of us chose beats to the biggest hiphop records in the pass decade that went beyond the genre...which would make them Iconic.

Beats like hip-hop hooray, 93 til infinity, House of Pain etc are "nostalgic", and maybe at the most "iconic" just in the hip-hop community(w the exception of a few being truly iconic). Which lookin at presently I guess would be the beats like Still DRE and Grindin fallin into that nostalgic category.

Originally Posted by So Slickening

Be real, if you walked up to the average white family in the burbs and played them the INSTRUMENTALS to In Da Club, Grindin', Still DRE, and Lose Yourself... which one would they most likely recognize right away, putting a face or a name to the music they hear?

Lose Yourself.

Wrong. In Da Club would win. I can't even remember Lose Yourself beat off the top of my head. I remember the hook tho

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Maybe there has been some after this, but this might be my favorite beat ever.
My favorite beat of all time hands down
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

In Da Club. Mainly off the strength that it came after Lose Yourself, which would make it the last iconic beat to date.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Lose Yourself.

Wrong. In Da Club would win. I can't even remember Lose Yourself beat off the top of my head. I remember the hook tho
Well, I honestly can't remember the In Da Club beat off the top of my head, but the first chords of Lose Yourself are clear in my memory.

Regardless, I still thnk the Lose Yourself beat is more widely recognized and used today.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Lose Yourself.

Well, I honestly can't remember the In Da Club beat off the top of my head, but the first chords of Lose Yourself are clear in my memory.

Regardless, I still thnk the Lose Yourself beat is more widely recognized and used today.
I think In Da Club and Still DRE are both more widely recognizable than Loose Yourself. Anytime, anywhere, any demographic.  

the last iconic beat... I think ppl already got the good ones.

In Da Club
Still DRE
Grindin
xplosive
A Milli
Crank That (maybe)

why are people mentioning songs from the 90's???

what about this song lol...

Most you guys don't have any idea what your talking about. Iconic means universal appeal? So a song had to be a crossover hit to be iconic? An iconic hip hop beat would represent hip hop. So even if someone who doesn't listen to hip hop doesn't know it, doesn't make it any less iconic. Probably one of the most iconic beats in hip hop is t.r.o.y. and I guarantee you people with no interest in hip hop have no clue who it's by. I also guarantee you it will still give them that feeling that it gives just about everyone else who hears it. That's iconic. Nothing other than grinding came to mind when I saw the title. So ill go with that

Back
Top Bottom