What was the reaction to the Penny IVs when they were originally released?

Now I love the Penny IVs for balling, probably my favorite shoe to hoop in ever. But to be honest I think they look kinda ugly, or compared to the Foams, IIs,and IIIs anyway. After his first 3 shoes and the 1/2 cents are classics, or close to it, what was the original reaction back in the day, were peopledisappointed?

how could you be dissapointed, though they arent sick like foams they are soooooooo comfortable for ballin and they look good unstrapped.
i got the white blue black and black and baby blue
i wish i could use it for my basketball team shoe.

Loved them.. I copped the Phoenix colorway and was super angry I couldn't get the Black/Blue and Black/red

white/black/blue colorway is a classic imo
pimp.gif

I love them. Fall 1998, I passed on the white/blk/red XIV for the white/blue/blue Penny IV. I can recall the Penny IV selling really well in 1998-1999. But theabajillion colorways afterwards kinda tarnished the Penny IV.

I have a question. What stores carried the blk/blue colorway in 1999?

not really a bid deal in my area although me and friend could not get the og black/wht/royal pair for nothing and we were searching everywhere, finally gotthem from a small footaction location in town after weeks of waiting and calling.

My fondest memory of the 4's were, i poped my cousins strap holder. The metal piece that held the strap. Funny thing went to the hardware store andbrought another one.
roll.gif

Damn, I guess I should give mine another shot then.

I didn't think too highly of 'em the day I tried them. Maybe they just needed to be broken in?

I remember everybody liked these, but almost no one i knew actually bought them bc there were so many other things out...i bought the Garnett IIIs instead ofthem, but i really wanted that Red/Black FootAction exclusive so bad...

they sold well back in the back...VERY well matter fact...to this day you don't see to many of OG orlando colors floating around....

i love the penny iv.there good to play ball and you could wear off court.the colorways are crazy imo. im trying to get all the OG colorway of the pennyiv's and is not that easy at all.
eyes.gif

Word. I love the casual aspect of the Penny IV. Very comfy. Females used to go hard with the sweatpants and white/blk IV.

the penny iv's were vicious:

white/black/blue
black/white/orange/purple (phoenix)
black/blue
black/red
white/navy
white/grey

Originally Posted by The R0yal Family

the penny iv's were vicious:

white/black/blue
black/white/orange/purple (phoenix)
black/blue
black/red
white/navy
white/grey
and after that.. I stopped caring.. oh.. well the black/carolina/white footaction exclusive were sick too

footaction was exclusive because it was its own store and wasn't swallowed by footlocker yet....

I thought this Penny was a less is more

The 3s were real busy alot goin on the shiney metal piece,the foam piece was just a busy shoe design wise.

I felt they made the Penny 4 n went simple but class they were the only Nike shoe I remember with a strap like that and it locked down so good only thing isthey hard to get on even unvelcroing the strap where it joins the shoe the sock line was tight but once they was on fit like a glove.

Colour placement was on point and the lil 3d Penny logo on tha centre lace piece was nice,my one complaint with these was the Penny popper they fell off whileballin had to superglue mine on.

06 retros OG colourway n black/white was on point after that it got stupid and the 02 cool grey/white patant leather retros are fire still have mine.

Peace
Scottie

PS I remember first game of the shortened 99 lockout season Orlando played the Knicks at home and pretty much all the Nike guys for Orlando sported the Penny4s was a beautiful thing.

Back
Top Bottom