What was your starting salary after college?

My whole approach to design was my fault. To this day, I sitll don't have a portfolio website for myself. Pretty much can't apply for anything if you don't have proof you can do it. Just sort of gave up on it but don't feel bad at all. Just wished I drew and painted more like I did back in college.

You should definitely work on your portfolio. I have a friend who does freelancing and brings in a nice income. Setting your own prices and all. $500 for a max of 3 hours for a logo design or some ish like that--can't be beat.

Outta high school, I went into management training at pepsico for 55k salary. After certification a year later, I got a 15% raise and became bonus eligible, bumping me into the mid-70's.

I majored in marketing, but most of the marketing offers we're between 30-45k so I took a position in sales management for the cash. And I live in Seattle, so I'm pretty comfortable with what I make/my lifestyle.

how do i do this
id be coooooooool if it was around 35-40k too
srs

18 and dont know what to do in life :frown:

any of ya been on the same boat when you were my age?

Last edited:
graduated in 06 with a comm degree and have been temping since... i found perm jobs but they didnt last long... i finally found a company where im stable and happy... benefits are great but the salary is not all that... i have to work OT just for my salary to be decent...still live at home cus i dont make that much to move on my own... cant complain though im just happy i got a job

I just really needed a job at that point they could have offered me whatever and I would have took it

Just curious- How did you explain to your hiring manager why you were looking for three jobs in 4 months. Also, did you have any employment gaps?
Honestly they did not ask but I think anyone could understand how making 28k with a CIS degree would have someone still looking for a better job

Got a BA in psych and my first job as a counselor I got $9/hr
mean.gif
  After 8 months, I quit, found a job in QA and make 53k/year

Where you at now? I'm in transition at the moment. Los Angeles is bad right now for education...looking to make a jump into a whole different career.

I am at Starr Companies but used to be at AIG. Starr was owned by AIG but broke off 2 years ago. Pretty much everyone at Starr worked at AIG before so it was a simple transition.

You should definitely work on your portfolio. I have a friend who does freelancing and brings in a nice income. Setting your own prices and all. $500 for a max of 3 hours for a logo design or some ish like that--can't be beat.

Well, it has been about 5 years since college and I haven't done any work and most of my portfolio stuff was school work. It would be a nice side job with my job now but I am just way too slow with design and don't have the creativity like I used to. I would literally be working 7 days a week along with my 9 to 5 and I just think I'd commit suicide from the stress. Maybe I'll take like quick logo jobs and have like 1 month deadlines. Haha. That would be the only way it could work.

Got a BA in psych and my first job as a counselor I got $9/hr :smh:   After 8 months, I quit, found a job in QA and make 53k/year

How did you make the switch? Did you have experience in QA? Seems like companies are hesitant to just accept people with degrees like Psych, Criminal Justice, Sociology for unrelated jobs.

My cousin's friend has a psych degree and got a job as HR at Apple and she gets paid about a 100k and gets tons of free Apple stuff. She said it is a lot of work bought fun as well.

My cousin's friend has a psych degree and got a job as HR at Apple and she gets paid about a 100k and gets tons of free Apple stuff. She said it is a lot of work bought fun as well.

I never thought anyone could get paid that much in HR. Where is your cousin's friend located?

Last edited:
I made $17/hr. graduating from college with a degree in Civil Engineering. God, that was rough.

And I had to negotiate like a mug just to get that. They tried to start me at $15 smh.

Damn. I made more than $17 while I was an intern and finishing my last 2 years of school. Where do you live?

Outta high school, I went into management training at pepsico for 55k salary. After certification a year later, I got a 15% raise and became bonus eligible, bumping me into the mid-70's.

I majored in marketing, but most of the marketing offers we're between 30-45k so I took a position in sales management for the cash. And I live in Seattle, so I'm pretty comfortable with what I make/my lifestyle.
Outta high school u had a 55k a year job, then at 18-19 you had 70+k a year job? :stoneface:

How did you make the switch? Did you have experience in QA? Seems like companies are hesitant to just accept people with degrees like Psych, Criminal Justice, Sociology for unrelated jobs.
I had no experience in QA but luckily I knew someone that was able to get me in because they needed people. I don't think you'll have a hard time with start up companies and stay away from gaming companies!

what's your ceiling famb?

Im probably gonna hit close to if not 6 figures this year...i only made 83k because i was working part-time half the year because i was still finishing school...

Plus my type of shift i get paid 1.5x my base salary its alot of overtime

Some of the older guys at work that do what i do get paid 40-50/ hr with minimal OT because they hired me to do the late night dirty work

I was making 14/hr after graduating, working retail. The first "real" job offer I got offered me 33k :x and that was in SF...turned that down

I had no experience in QA but luckily I knew someone that was able to get me in because they needed people. I don't think you'll have a hard time with start up companies and stay away from gaming companies!

Why should you stay away from gaming companies?

Graduated from college in '11 in communications, got a gig at 11 an hour, did one year total in grad school across two different grad programs, got another gig at 12 an hour. I'm 24, intern at a LA based shoe shoe chain unpaid and lost in this world :lol: if ANYONE has a plug or some advice, feel free to message me.

Last edited:
I never thought anyone could get paid that much in HR. Where is your cousin's friend located?

She lives in San Jose. I know she helped hire all the people that made the original iPhone. I guess she should get paid that amount since she screened all the right people.

She lives in San Jose. I know she helped hire all the people that made the original iPhone. I guess she should get paid that amount since she screened all the right people.

HR professionals that are actually competent are highly in demand in times of economic prosperity. My current HR director in my small nonprofit organization makes six figures.

Last edited:
did your school require you to take and pass the praxxis 1 and 2 ??

I am in New York, so we don't take the Praxis, we take our own state certification exams. I wasn't required to pass the tests to graduate, but if I didn't then I wouldn't be certified and the degree would be pointless

Just graduated with an accounting degree. Make about 36k annual with great benefits and a handsome annual bonus. I started in August and my Christmas bonus after working for 3 1/2 months made my jaw drop pretty much

I don't really care what mine is gonna be, just as long as I can have a career for the next 30 years that I actually enjoy going to.

Outta high school u had a 55k a year job, then at 18-19 you had 70+k a year job? :stoneface:

Lol my bad, I meant after college. I actually graduated from the UW a year early, so I was 21 making 55. Then just before my 22nd birthday I got my first raise to around 73k annually.

Back
Top Bottom