What was your starting salary after college?

Some of yall need to look into career ladders :lol:. Go ahead and turn down that #poor $35k/yr a job if you want. But some people understand that that's just the beginning and everyone isn't gonna make $60k out the gate, hell a lot of you won't (talking undergrad degrees only). It's called gradual increases, promotions, bonuses, etc. Some of yall need to get off those imaginary high horses. :smh:

I agree. Also you have to know when a specific job or position is stagnant as well. Not all companies or departments are willing to give you compensations that you think you deserve, especially when you start with a low salary. For example I know someone that has a position in the insurance company that I used to work for that permits her to get large increases. Every year, everyone in her department will get a 3-5k increase where as she gets only a 1k increase because of her title and she gets paid the least in her department as well. In certain and sometimes most cases, people that get paid more also get compensated more. On the flip side of that, when layoffs occurred last year, they got rid of a person with the same position as her because they got paid more. Remember, in order for companies to survive, there has to be those people that work with low salaries. Sometimes you can’t even work up the corporate ladder even if you wanted to. That is where you have to jump ship to another company in hopes there is something you can climb there.

quick question, did all of you guys jump straight into a job after graduating or did you wait a while? i dont walk until end of spring, not to sure if i want to start applying now or enjoy a little time away from school n stuff.

quick question, did all of you guys jump straight into a job after graduating or did you wait a while? i dont walk until end of spring, not to sure if i want to start applying now or enjoy a little time away from school n stuff.

No problem in taking some time off from school. I don't think it hinders from getting a job anyways on a resume. Even if you take the summer off and start looking in the Fall, that is fine too. Jobs do kind of pop up randomly but some of the more corporate jobs would start looking more after the year is up. Corporations go through restructuring a lot after they get their numbers. Plus they have to look at their budget to see if jobs can even be available. What sucks sometimes is companies will even just liquidate postions to save money and just give the current employees more work to do without really paying them more.

I'm co-oping right now, will graduate next year and start off making 45-50k.  Jumping straight into my MBA as well so I'm gonna need that income to pay off my loans haha

No problem in taking some time off from school. I don't think it hinders from getting a job anyways on a resume. Even if you take the summer off and start looking in the Fall, that is fine too.

It's definitely something employers will ask about in an interview. I graduated in May 2008 and didn't find a FT job until July 2009. One of the first things they asked me was "what have you been doing since you graduated?"

The majority of hiring managers are a-holes in my opinion. Only a few I have dealt with have actually been sympathetic as to the state of the economy. Like is it really mind boggling that a college grad in this day and age can't find work immediately? Granted I could have taken better advantage of my college's resources, but that wouldn't have GUARANTEED anything.

It's definitely something employers will ask about in an interview. I graduated in May 2008 and didn't find a FT job until July 2009. One of the first things they asked me was "what have you been doing since you graduated?"

I was more or less saying they wouldn't judge you if you took a couple of months off from school. I would expect them to ask but I don't think it is something that will be the deciding factor. Actually if you took the time off and say traveled around the world, it would be a great conversation piece in your interview. They just don't want you to say "I did anything for two months".

Congrats :smokin

I'm jealous. Have my BS in Criminal Justice and applied last month for a juvenile probation position, and that's with 4 years of experience working with juvenile offenders to boot. If I don't get it I don't know wtf I'm going to do.

What state are you in?

Appreciate it fam.

Georgia. I know a lot of folks I talk to say there's plenty if PO positions available in Atlanta's different counties. (Dekalb, Fulton, Clayton, Cobb, etc). Considering a move?

Appreciate it fam.

Georgia. I know a lot of folks I talk to say there's plenty if PO positions available in Atlanta's different counties. (Dekalb, Fulton, Clayton, Cobb, etc). Considering a move?

If this doesn't pan out, I would definitely consider moving. I'm sick of Boston winters anyways. I've already started searching other states for probation jobs to see what's out there.

Depends on your field and location, but I would recommend applying now. It took me forever to find something and I hope no one has to go through that.

Appreciate it fam.

Definitely a good move considering the wild competition up north for LE and correctional jobs. Just make sure to compare the salaries down south to the cost of living. LEO's anywhere lower than Maryland make significantly less than they do in the northeast. I looked into this and some agencies pay 10-15k LESS than they would up north.

Just got the call that I got hired for a probation officer position. I think it's a good start that'll help me out since I was able to secure a job prior to graduation. Pretty excited. They're supposed to be sending me an official offer letter today. :pimp:

Forgot to mention, I get my BS in political science in May. I plan on staying at this job until December. If I have enough saved up, I'm looking at moving to Chicago to go to John Marshall law. If not, I'll just hold off until next fall and keep saving up for my eventual move.

How's the gig going my dude? Interested to hear how you are liking it. I'm still waiting to hear back. Had a few friends that received rejection letters, but I haven't received one. Taking that as a good sign for now. But man they are slow as hell. If/when I get rejected, I'm getting the FOH and moving south or west. The Northeast job market :x

Bumping this thread because I have no clue what type of job to look for once I graduate next year and there's good info in here. I will be graduating with a degree in Psychology and Criminal Justice (Applied Criminology), long term I want to go back to school for Psych but for now just looking for a job to get experience under my belt. Any advice from any Psych grads?

Graphic Designer
Roughly about $52,000 per year

Getting a job in the arts field is a two part thing.

took me about 6 months after undergrad. The thing with most artistic degrees is that they really don't matter per say. Your portfolio is more important but if you get your undergrad degree than it normally equates to you having a pretty good portfolio, which is the first part.

The second part is that you need to get experience and thats the really tough. Finding that first job that'll give you a shot is pretty tough. At this point you have to be open to taking something you aren't totally into, but know that as long as you stick it out for at least a year you have the experience to get the job with a design firm you want and can make a decent amount of money. You won't be making millions of dollars but chances are you got into the field because you like making creative things instead of anything else.

So the road to being a designer is kind of really tough initially, but once you have that two-step down then you're in there. Also, you're the envy of your non-creative friends. I get to go to work and make cool things. :smokin

Last edited:
Anyone in here with an environmental science degree? If so, what did you end up doing after Grad?

Last edited:
About to graduate college and the franchise company I been with for over 3 yrs wants me to become Manager over one of there prime locations no sure if I should take it.

Offering 30-35k with no benefits. Kind of leaning towards no because of that. But its hard trying to find a job straight out of college with a high salary like 60 -100k now-a-days

:lol: Made scraps during college, made scraps after college.

It wasn't until I turned 21 and getting into the department is when things started turning financially.

Back
Top Bottom