When did Chris Bosh become a superstar?

Chris Bosh Achievements

Really???

Juan Baller wrote:
Kevin Durant made the All-NBA 1st Team and led the Thunder to a 50-win season.

Chris Paul has been selected to the All-NBA 1st Team before. He also has 3 All-Star selections. Deron Williams has only been to 1 All-Star game.

Steve Nash was a superstar in 2004-2007 because he made 3 consecutive All-NBA 1st Teams and won back-to-back MVPs. His decline to former superstar status was cemented when he failed to make the All-Star team in 2009. Nash did have a great offensive season last year, but at 36 years old his defensive limitations are becoming more noticeable.

Don't get me wrong KD is a great player and with improvement he will be a superstar one day, but you can't put him up there yet. Portland also won 50 games this year, and Houston had 42 wins.....put that in perspective
Chris Mullen and Latrell Sprewell have made All-NBA 1st teams...
And as we all know the all-star game is a bit of a popularity contest so that Deron Williams statement is void.

Juan Baller wrote:
Kevin Durant made the All-NBA 1st Team and led the Thunder to a 50-win season.

Chris Paul has been selected to the All-NBA 1st Team before. He also has 3 All-Star selections. Deron Williams has only been to 1 All-Star game.

Steve Nash was a superstar in 2004-2007 because he made 3 consecutive All-NBA 1st Teams and won back-to-back MVPs. His decline to former superstar status was cemented when he failed to make the All-Star team in 2009. Nash did have a great offensive season last year, but at 36 years old his defensive limitations are becoming more noticeable.

Don't get me wrong KD is a great player and with improvement he will be a superstar one day, but you can't put him up there yet. Portland also won 50 games this year, and Houston had 42 wins.....put that in perspective
Chris Mullen and Latrell Sprewell have made All-NBA 1st teams...
And as we all know the all-star game is a bit of a popularity contest so that Deron Williams statement is void.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

what does off the court stuff have to do with you been a NBA SUPERSTAR? i guess because everybody knows yao all around the world he is a superstar and CP3 is not? we are not talking about a pop star or rap star its about a NBA player. if the avg joe doesnt know who you are that doesnt doesnt affect if you are a superstar or not.
The same way all good actors are not considered movie STARS. Amount of popularity makes you a superstar. Not just your skill level.

I actually forgot to add Yao Ming. He is larger than life as well.

Someone can be a GREAT, nba player, but if they don't have a global or even a national following, they can't be labeled a superstar in my book.

Part skill
Part popularity.
Part being able to draw.

SO if the average joe doesn't know you, then you aren't a super star. You are just an elite basketball player.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Acting is an industry where popularity and star power determines talent in a sense to sell movies. Just like how rappers and singers (who are terrible actors/actresses) can land leading roles over people who have dedicated their life to that craft. And on the music side, you have people with minimal talent being able to succeed due to their marketability and such. Its just not the same in the sports world, and a superstar in sports is not and should not be based on popularity.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

what does off the court stuff have to do with you been a NBA SUPERSTAR? i guess because everybody knows yao all around the world he is a superstar and CP3 is not? we are not talking about a pop star or rap star its about a NBA player. if the avg joe doesnt know who you are that doesnt doesnt affect if you are a superstar or not.
The same way all good actors are not considered movie STARS. Amount of popularity makes you a superstar. Not just your skill level.

I actually forgot to add Yao Ming. He is larger than life as well.

Someone can be a GREAT, nba player, but if they don't have a global or even a national following, they can't be labeled a superstar in my book.

Part skill
Part popularity.
Part being able to draw.

SO if the average joe doesn't know you, then you aren't a super star. You are just an elite basketball player.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Acting is an industry where popularity and star power determines talent in a sense to sell movies. Just like how rappers and singers (who are terrible actors/actresses) can land leading roles over people who have dedicated their life to that craft. And on the music side, you have people with minimal talent being able to succeed due to their marketability and such. Its just not the same in the sports world, and a superstar in sports is not and should not be based on popularity.

Originally Posted by MetroKid26

Chris Bosh Achievements

Really???
Toronto has been around for 14 years. He's been there for literally HALF of that.

He's an allstar, but he's not a superstar. Not yet.

Chris Bosh Achievements

Really???
Toronto has been around for 14 years. He's been there for literally HALF of that.

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

bosh doesn't even have that killer instinct superstars have.......if wade or lebron got hurt that team will become average because bosh will not pick up the slack
whats this garbage here...you don't need no "killer instinct" to be superstar...ask vince carter
you need charisma and game...bosh has a little of both but not enough to make him a household name.

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

bosh doesn't even have that killer instinct superstars have.......if wade or lebron got hurt that team will become average because bosh will not pick up the slack
whats this garbage here...you don't need no "killer instinct" to be superstar...ask vince carter
you need charisma and game...bosh has a little of both but not enough to make him a household name.

Originally Posted by gotJz

Understandable if you want to dismiss my comparison but I still believe it is a valid analogy.

But why do we feel the need to call the BEST players in the NBA, SUPERSTARS. Why can't we just call them the best players. ANd why can't we call the players that are the most popular, superstars. The word STAR deals with popularity in any other aspect of entertainment, I don't see why this has to be any different.

Nobody is discrediting the skill level of anyone NOT labeled as a superstar, I think you all might think we are undercover bashing their skill level. We are not. We are just saying they aren't as popular as others.

Nothing further.

Originally Posted by gotJz

Understandable if you want to dismiss my comparison but I still believe it is a valid analogy.

But why do we feel the need to call the BEST players in the NBA, SUPERSTARS. Why can't we just call them the best players. ANd why can't we call the players that are the most popular, superstars. The word STAR deals with popularity in any other aspect of entertainment, I don't see why this has to be any different.

Nobody is discrediting the skill level of anyone NOT labeled as a superstar, I think you all might think we are undercover bashing their skill level. We are not. We are just saying they aren't as popular as others.

Nothing further.

Originally Posted by doyung9

Chris Bosh Achievements

Really???

That was going to be my point. Love the guy, but when you only have to beat out Vince for all those, its not that bad.
Going to miss dude. At the same time, I'm scared hes going to be pushed away in Miami with those other two. Def going to be a third wheel.

Chris Bosh Achievements

Really???

That was going to be my point. Love the guy, but when you only have to beat out Vince for all those, its not that bad.
Going to miss dude. At the same time, I'm scared hes going to be pushed away in Miami with those other two. Def going to be a third wheel.

Merriam Webster's definition for "superstar":
Main Entry: su·per·star

Pronunciation: \ˈsü-pər-ˌstär\

Function: noun

Date: 1924

[font=arial, verdana, sans-serif]1. [/font]a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary
2. one that is very prominent or is a prime attraction <a diplomatic superstar>

By DEFINITION, popularity and mass public appeal is part of what makes a superstar.  Some of you guys said my example a few pages back was stupid, but to me, its even more stupid to think popularity and ability to draw people has nothing to do with being a superstar.  

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if you disagree with the definition of a superstar, you are disagreeing with what a word means!  Cant disagree with a definition.  With that being said, I still think it is absolutely ******ed to think Chris Bosh is a superstar. 

Merriam Webster's definition for "superstar":
Main Entry: su·per·star

Pronunciation: \ˈsü-pər-ˌstär\

Function: noun

Date: 1924

[font=arial, verdana, sans-serif]1. [/font]a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary
2. one that is very prominent or is a prime attraction <a diplomatic superstar>

By DEFINITION, popularity and mass public appeal is part of what makes a superstar.  Some of you guys said my example a few pages back was stupid, but to me, its even more stupid to think popularity and ability to draw people has nothing to do with being a superstar.  

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if you disagree with the definition of a superstar, you are disagreeing with what a word means!  Cant disagree with a definition.  With that being said, I still think it is absolutely ******ed to think Chris Bosh is a superstar. 

Chris Bosh Achievements

Really???

laugh.gif
I almost forgot that. I was about to say damn I should've been watching these Raptor games to see all this greatness. You could fool anybody with these titles worthy of a hall of famer.

Chris Bosh Achievements

Really???

laugh.gif
I almost forgot that. I was about to say damn I should've been watching these Raptor games to see all this greatness. You could fool anybody with these titles worthy of a hall of famer.

Bosh is solid on both ends of defending, and offending. Toronto held him down, he's capable of performing better than what he's surrounded with.

Bosh is solid on both ends of defending, and offending. Toronto held him down, he's capable of performing better than what he's surrounded with.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by finnns2003

It's pretty pathetic that the media has crowned the Heat trio the Big 3. There was the big 3 of the 80's (Larry Legend, Chief, McHale), and the new big 3 (Truth, Shuttles, KG). Bosh does not make up a "big 3", has done nothing in his career to deserve that.

The same could be said about boston BIG 3. Outside of kg, paul nor allen were never really superstars. Great players, potential all-stars year in/out but superstar status not hardly. Its apparent dwade and def bron are superstars global icons. So really its the BIG 2 and a really good all-star caliber player.
Ray and Paul were headed to the HOF, both were top 10 players at one point, and were the best player on any team they were on. That merits a "big 3" label. Bosh is not a top 10 player, sorry.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by finnns2003

It's pretty pathetic that the media has crowned the Heat trio the Big 3. There was the big 3 of the 80's (Larry Legend, Chief, McHale), and the new big 3 (Truth, Shuttles, KG). Bosh does not make up a "big 3", has done nothing in his career to deserve that.

The same could be said about boston BIG 3. Outside of kg, paul nor allen were never really superstars. Great players, potential all-stars year in/out but superstar status not hardly. Its apparent dwade and def bron are superstars global icons. So really its the BIG 2 and a really good all-star caliber player.
Ray and Paul were headed to the HOF, both were top 10 players at one point, and were the best player on any team they were on. That merits a "big 3" label. Bosh is not a top 10 player, sorry.

Originally Posted by Prince Of Shoes HEAD

what about yao ming? no one mention about YAO?

That's a good point. Whenever the Rockets played the Knicks, MSG was packed with Asians. In a way, he might've been the biggest superstar while he was playing.
I really hope he stays healthy this season. I swear people immediately forgot how good he was the second he got hurt in the 09 playoffs. They probably think he died.
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Prince Of Shoes HEAD

what about yao ming? no one mention about YAO?

That's a good point. Whenever the Rockets played the Knicks, MSG was packed with Asians. In a way, he might've been the biggest superstar while he was playing.
I really hope he stays healthy this season. I swear people immediately forgot how good he was the second he got hurt in the 09 playoffs. They probably think he died.
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom