When did collecting J's turn into a hypebeast sport?

Sneaker culture has always had some hype though. It's just that now with all the sneaker blogs/sites/forums, youtube "reviewers", and easy access to info online, pretty much everybody from diehard fans/collectors to 12 year olds who don't know *#%% can go after stuff a lot more easily than before, which makes it tougher to get stuff for everybody. Besides, say what you will about Jordan Brand/Nike, but their marketing is absolutely genius at creating hype and building interest.

Your in the game from the wrong reason. As long as I get the pair I want for a decent price I'm happy. I don't wish that some people miss release dates. That's not what I'm about. You should like the shoe because of what the shoe is/looks, and don't let other people decide how you feel. I don't even read posts from those who hype-beast shoes and our discounts.

Originally Posted by prettymack1989

Man i been a sneaker freak since i was little but never had the bread and i think thats where it comes from because people like me that never could afford to get jordans when they were younger missed out on shoes that they wanted/liked so for me its not a sport at all its just me wanting to get the shoes i have always wanted by any means necessary  
pimp.gif
this right here. i have my list to man got my money right came back grown and scooped everything 2x it just has to be done when list is completed what i need a retro for? i got og everything 
laugh.gif

I find it funny....nothing worse than listening to the beasts babble

@ the latest releases. No one knows anything, but everyone has

an opinion about everything. The fairytales and blatant lies that

are overheard are just overwhelming to say the least. Employees are

the worst cause the beasts take their words for truth.

its technology son, people hear about things in a heart beat. I was waiting on some lebron sprits for my boy and I saw on FB that the Nike Town by me had a restock on them and i hopped on em, 1 min after the post was listed

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Man, honestly if they are "Hypebeast" they shouldn't be enough of 'em to buy all the Jordan's.
IMHO if you're a true Collector, Shoe Head, etc...

You already should have an advantage over those "Fake Jordan Heads".

Release Dates, Retail Price, whether they are a GR, LS, QS, LE, whatever.

Also, if you miss out you know where to find 'em.

IF you miss out on a pair, that's 'cause you were SLACKING!

I buy what I like, and that's final.

Give a %#^@ what anyone else thinks!

So your saying because I live 4 hours from anyplace that gets better than GR stuff im slacking? I disagree. I've been into Jordans since I was a kid, and when I was getting them ya I didn't get every release and there were no hyperstrike/quickstrike limited edition player edition blah blah blah. They released a few colors per year mostly variations of.black/red/white and a carolina colorway. I could go to the mall an hour away and j.c. pennys had Jordans and so did the sporting stores like locker room, foot locker, footaction , etc... and I coull get anything because not everyone was buying 15 pairs of something cause it was limited, heck most people weren't payi.g 100$ and up for shoes and they went on sale even. Now even GRs sell out cause veryones buying anything hoping to make a buck. Im not knocking anyones hustle but I miss out on a lot of stuff cause I work and live too far from anyplace that gets most of the stuff I like. I have been on. Nimetalk since 03 and when I first joined there was a store that was an hour from me and they had the white 5s, white/res some 3s and 4s and they werre just sitting cause Noone around here cared but now that same store doesn't even get most Jordans even the GR stuff cause they take away from smaller markets to give to the big ones which make it harder for real shoeheads lime me to get anything cause not everyone can afford to take time off work just to try to cop at retail and spend a who'd day drivig anyplace that's getting what they're looking for.

Stop taking shoes so seriously.

And as seen with the True Blues, if you get to a spot first day, you pretty much promised a pair.

When people figured out they could get alot of money from re-selling shoes and people who idolize celebrities and they want the same shoes their favorite celebrity is wearing.

Originally Posted by kingk777

Originally Posted by beerdrum108

It's getting to the point where a bunch of snot-nosed fifteen year-olds with Justin Beiber bowl cuts, H&M striped sweatshirts, and skinny jeans patrolling the malls with Mommy's credit cards who "stunt on haters" are "running the game."

Man...the culture sure sucks right now
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
  That about sums it up right there.

I know when I wear anything pre-2006, kids loose their minds, like they want to hump my foot or something.

Between spoiled brats, and camping for a week or more, it will only get worse.

Like I have been saying, JB/Nike are only using these people as entertainment value.

Putting "Limited Release" shoes out...or "PE" shoes...now everything is super exclusive and is harder to get, more expensive to get and more people doing it. I remember the days when get OG Jordans was hyped but man nothing like this. Imagine if he still played and released the shoe he would wear each year. *+@# would be nuts. I gotta say its making me sick of it and ready to just stop buying.

Originally Posted by KRAYZIE47

Word. I've been doing this for about 11-12 years, and the whole culture is NOTHING like it was before.
I used to walk into outlets & see everything. (laney v, olive ix, etc.)
now all the fanboys are trying to be hip & trendy. 
laugh.gif

Hopefully, it ends soon. It has become a joke. 
tired.gif

Agreed, I don't even wear my Jordans anymore. Its just a showcase for me.

Originally Posted by cmoneymontana

Originally Posted by beerdrum108

laugh.gif
  That about sums it up right there.

I know when I wear anything pre-2006, kids loose their minds, like they want to hump my foot or something.

Between spoiled brats, and camping for a week or more, it will only get worse.

Like I have been saying, JB/Nike are only using these people as entertainment value.

This thread is pretty funny.
roll.gif

it is entertainment that one youtube video where they army crawl under the gate and sprint through the mall ANYONE EMBED THAT VIDEO they did the army crawl obsticale corse at the mall for some shoes then they made a line at the door hhaa

All of ya'll are bugging if you don't know exactly when this all started. Hands down when the 2001 Cool Grey XI dropped. If anybody says anything different then either you weren't into Jordans back then or too young to know.

Originally Posted by nystatenisland

All of ya'll are bugging if you don't know exactly when this all started. Hands down when the 2001 Cool Grey XI dropped. If anybody says anything different then either you weren't into Jordans back then or too young to know.
YEA I REMEMBER THOSE BUT BACK THEN IT WAS JUST A TON OF PEOPLE THAT WANTED THE COOL GREY 11'S TO WEAR AND ENJOY. THE ALTITUDE 13'S IS AROUND WHEN JORDAN BRAND STARTED THE LIMITED OR QUICKSTRIKE B.S. THAT BROUGHT IN RESELLERS AND HYPEBEASTS.   

Originally Posted by MrWavez

Man...its some real salty ppl in here...btw the word hypebeast is soooo overused. I'm not even sure what it means anymore....ppl just call you that for anything they don't like nowadays

I personally believe Nike found out how to corral the highly profitable urban youth demographic by using the hip-hop community to promote their products in a way never seen before. By equating the brand to one's urban "status" in a somewhat materialistic culture, it almost turned wearing Jordans into a requirement to be considered an authentic part of the community. Artists get free shoes to market, Kids with money to burn will idolize them and copy their image - 10 years ago it was eminem, nelly...now its kanye, chris brown, big sean etc.

Even when they were on sales racks there was demand for jordan. There were many things that sold out first day, but the tipping point was 05-06. The release of both lazer 4s, original altitude 13s and the DMP really started a madness that has carried on today. Infact those releases led to other hyped up nike releases, Nike SB wouldnt have been so big had jordan kept making everything GR. Once they went limited with special colorways, Sb did the same and Tiffanys blew up in 05 which lead to limited releases on everything basically

Back
Top Bottom