When did collecting J's turn into a hypebeast sport?

anything limited the sheep come out and cop... and can't forget that everyone wants to be a reseller 

^I hate resellers. Why don't you go and look for a REAL job instead of gobbling up the entire supply of sneakers at a location???

because of all the "hypebeasts" these days, if there ever really was a sneaker culture then its dead b lol

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

Originally Posted by nystatenisland

All of ya'll are bugging if you don't know exactly when this all started. Hands down when the 2001 Cool Grey XI dropped. If anybody says anything different then either you weren't into Jordans back then or too young to know.
YEA I REMEMBER THOSE BUT BACK THEN IT WAS JUST A TON OF PEOPLE THAT WANTED THE COOL GREY 11'S TO WEAR AND ENJOY. THE ALTITUDE 13'S IS AROUND WHEN JORDAN BRAND STARTED THE LIMITED OR QUICKSTRIKE B.S. THAT BROUGHT IN RESELLERS AND HYPEBEASTS.   

Altitudes were the first Jordan release I remember people wanting exclusivley because they were limited. This was the first time I experienced a store completley sold out before they opened the gates because employees saw these were much more limited than a regular shipment so they bought all the pairs.

Granted people went crazy for CGs back in 01, but it wasnt because people thought they were limited and could resell.  (Of course there were a few resellers but, most people were in it for the love of the shoe)

People in here talking like every J limited now?
laugh.gif
: U can keep your tokyo t23s and quais.

What I don't get is how nearly everyone in the game these days is so young.

I'm 26 and everyone here on the west coast is damn teenagers. I feel old and creepy waiting in line on sat mornings.

It seems like east coast is older heads, but maybe i'm wrong.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

This was the first time I experienced a store completley sold out before they opened the gates because employees saw these were much more limited than a regular shipment so they bought all the pairs.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Sdot73

Even when they were on sales racks there was demand for jordan. There were many things that sold out first day, but the tipping point was 05-06. The release of both lazer 4s, original altitude 13s and the DMP really started a madness that has carried on today. Infact those releases led to other hyped up nike releases, Nike SB wouldnt have been so big had jordan kept making everything GR. Once they went limited with special colorways, Sb did the same and Tiffanys blew up in 05 which lead to limited releases on everything basically
What you said about SBs was not true at all. Can someone explain the City Series release to me? To my understanding it was a regional release. I would like to know if people were talking about it OR if Jordan's were still not mainstream at this point.

The "demand" (lines and then campouts) on Jordans, IMO, really began around when the XVIs dropped (01), and when the XVIIs came out (02). I remember news reports about people missing school to cop and stuff like that. Sure the City Series was "limited", BUT the amount of people into Jordans at that time was way less than it was in 01. I'm not saying JB doesn't make things limited, but that word is just relative to how many people are interested in a shoe. When Michael came back to play for the Wizards, it reignited an interest in not only the player, but also the shoes. Many kids began wanting the new Jordans at the time, XVIs, XVIIs. 
In 2000, with the XIs, etc kicked off a decade of demand. The people making up this "new" demand weren't necessarily HBs NOR were they necessarily collectors either, instead they were just the kids who bought whatever JB put out, and every year the demand seemed to get bigger and Jordans became more popular (because of these kids, an exploitable market, quality has suffered and JB has grown dependant on retros for success instead of coming out with new cws/ models that sell and are popular as they used to)....... I would say around 05 was when JB tried to make a lot of things limited on purpose, but it certainly wasn't the first time (City Series, certain cws of XVIs and XVII lows which were released at Urban Accounts for example). The amount of people paying attention was just bigger in 05 than 95, 01,02. 

THE HYPE GOT TO A RISING POINT AROUND 05, BUT THE "DEMAND" WAS THERE IN 00.....AND FOR SOME IN 95.
air-jordan-6-vi-retro-olympic-midnight-navy-varsity-red-white-1.jpeg

ja.jpg

air-jordan-xiv-carolina-620x424.jpg

we-go-9.jpg

1140.jpg

748.jpg

976.jpg

we-go-1.jpg

ad175983_img1_large-620x438.jpg

we-go-14.jpg

air-jordan-13-xiii-altitude.jpeg

air-jordan-4-iv-retro-laser-white-varsity-red-black-1.jpeg

PROMO.jpeg

air-jordan-4-iv-retro-ls-lightning-tour-yellow-dark-blue-grey-white-1.jpeg

air-jordan-4-iv-retro-black-tour-yellow-thunder-1.jpeg

664.jpg

437.jpg

382.jpg

351.jpg

124.jpg

Womens-Air-Jordan-1-I-XQ-China-Edition.jpeg

547.jpg

You guys know the rest......there are just more people interested in Jordans now, get over it already, "limited" shoes are nothing new...

Originally Posted by Sdot73

Even when they were on sales racks there was demand for jordan. There were many things that sold out first day, but the tipping point was 05-06. The release of both lazer 4s, original altitude 13s and the DMP really started a madness that has carried on today. Infact those releases led to other hyped up nike releases, Nike SB wouldnt have been so big had jordan kept making everything GR. Once they went limited with special colorways, Sb did the same and Tiffanys blew up in 05 which lead to limited releases on everything basically
True story.

Also, with the exception of a few releases i.e. RA13s and some others... the resell values arent enough for it to be worth it.. Minimum wage would even be better money 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

what he said about SB is not true at all though, there were more limited pairs back in 02 than Diamonds.

And same goes for JB, there were just more limited Jordans 05 and up and as I said two posts ago, more people knowing about Jordans and being interested in Jordans. Seriously, get over it already. Reselling shoes is nothing new and really took off before he came back. 

It's funny to see how people overvalue the price of their Jordans. You can see two threads up selling the same shoes both the same condition. One guy is asking 300, the other 225.What is that?

Originally Posted by DA1 4 Life

It's funny to see how people overvalue the price of their Jordans. You can see two threads up selling the same shoes both the same condition. One guy is asking 300, the other 225.What is that?

All depends on the seller really. Some might need cash so they offer kicks for a low asking price from the jump. Others dont really care if their shoes sell or not, so they will hang on to them unless they receive top dollar.

Also take into consideration some peoples asking price is firm and non-negotiable, while some allow alot of wiggle room. 

Originally Posted by DA1 4 Life

NT is meant to be a site to find kicks you missed out on for NOT rape prices... But thats not the case anymore
mad.gif
Ugly south beachs for 800
laugh.gif
sick.gif

At this point, it's not even a hypebeast sport anymore, it's an epidemic. "Sneakerhead", "Limited releases", "re-selling","DS,VNDS, NDS"......All these terms are killing it.  There's no originality anymore. Some peoples collections are based off of what other people expect them to have.  Case in point how many collection posts have you seen with someone stating "Nice collection, but man you need some...." I can't stand the Jordan 8's.  No matter how popular those aqua 8's are I will never buy em.  My wife and daughter have a pair, but I can't stand em.  On the flipside, I got 2 pairs of XV's. 4, if you count my SE Bragging Rights. General consensus, the XV is one of the more disliked numbered Jordans.  But I wear mine like I've only got one pair of sneakers. But when it's all said and done, it's leather, rubber and cloth.

when a lot of younger people who weren't there for the originals or to see MJ play first hand
decided to hop on board
never quite understood the fascination held by a generation removed

Id say like '01.'02 or so ,it was fun for a minute( Footlocker employees in Northland Mall parking lot @ 8Am yelling out what size? then giving yu a slip before yu make it in the mall) then I just wanted the herd to thin back out.

Back
Top Bottom