When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

If the story was told strictly from the perspective of the natives, I suspect it would leave a bad taste in most of the audience's mouth's. The purpose of having a white lead is to make light of certain injustices without fully alienating the audience.

Agreed. Having a white protagonist that the audience relates with join the Na'vi causes the audience to accept the Na'vi point of view as well. If themovie was just shown from the different perspectives, some idiots would start picking sides, rather than 100% of the audience supporting the Na'vi

Honestly, I didn't read the article, But I did see this....

In the US, to talk about race is to be seen as racist. You become the problem because you bring up the problem. So you find people who are hesitant to talk about it.

And I think that's the honest truth.

Originally Posted by Strawberry Milkshakes

"life imitates art far more than art imitates life"
-Oscar Wilde

Come on, James Cameron isn't a movie maker he's a businessman.
What? You mean he's a movie maker who is also a business man.

Lets take the term racism out of this discussion for a minute...lets talk about originality,creativity and compelling storylines because I think thats really what the article getting at (imo)
Speaking as a white person, I don't need to hear more about my own racial experience. I'd like to watch some movies about people of color (ahem, aliens), from the perspective of that group, without injecting a random white (erm, human) character to explain everything to me. Science fiction is exciting because it promises to show the world and the universe from perspectives radically unlike what we've seen before.

Why make a movie about clashing ethnicities ...if it at its heart its going to be exactly like the other 4 special effects orgies made this year?

If you want to make a shallow SFX movie, go right ahead. That's easy to do and it won't invite this type of criticism if the film is in mindless innature.

But when you blatantly add racial allusions and cultural undertones into the mix, you are pushing your film into another paradigm. There is now an addedthought process and message attached to the viewing of your work.

Terminator, Blade Runner, The Matrix...those films have underlying allusions as well but they are actually thought provoking and refreshing.

Too many of these sci-fi movies with race at the heart have the exact same plot line, to the point where it gets to be exasperating to whites and aggravatingto "non-whites".

All of these movies are allusions to white-wrong doing in the past (displays of white guilt), and they have the white main character turn on his own people,join the other group and become their savior in rebellion. You don't see the trend?

Its not jut about the vacuous and stereotypical display of other cultures but it's also about the redundant and oversimplified tales of the white manspreading malice across the galaxy. You don't get tired of that as a white person?

They make a movie titled " The Last Samurai " and the last samurai is a white man
laugh.gif
. Before he leads his Samurai sidekick into battle against his fellow white menand their respective Japanese stooges, he reminds them of the Battle of Thermopylae..they had to drag Thermopylae into a Samurai movie..seriously?

At the end of the movie's most climactic scene, every single Japanese samurai is brutally slain but the powerful white samurai somehow emerges alive...Howmuch more ridiculous can a movie get? There are literally thousands of stoylines that can be made about the Samurai experience...Go ahead and put a white actoras the lead role, go ahead and have a sappy ending...but have some originality and integrity at the very least.

District 9 was the exact same thing except it was even more demeaning to the African image. There wasn't even one African character of note in that entirefilm. All of them were ignorant, blood thirsty savages and prostitutes. In a film obviously based around the brutal and unjust history of South Africanapartheid, they didn't even have the decency to include 1 redeeming scenes for Black Africans. It doesn't get much more disgusting than that.

Originally Posted by GIveMEshoes

It's entertaining and makes money. What if a black guy made the film?? What if an American Indian did it? Would it change your opinion? This thread sounds more racist to me than the movie.
If a Native American made the film, the film would have been made differently. There would be no white savior because white saviors are afabrication.

Where were these knights in shining honor in Nigeria, India, North America, Japan, etc.?

European Imperialism movies are officially played out.

We get it Hollywood, some members of the white race feel bad for other members of the white race raping countries of their natural resources, destroyingfamilies, lives, etc. I personally thought it was for atonement. The author of the article suggest that white directors have found a way to turn a movie aboutnon-whites into a pro-white movie. I never thought of it that way, but based on the facts at hand, his assertion has some merit.

Bottom line, The whole white savior gimmick has grown stale. Find a new angle. Hollywood won't because white savior movies bring in big bucks. However:

Like the writer of the article suggested, I can't wait to see a movie that is completely told from the natives side.

We live in a white dominated society, from an economical stand-point it wouldn't make sense to tell these stories without a European protagonist.Especially, in these big budget blockbuster type movies...you go with a proven thing revenue wise. The only black actor that can get away with this is WillSmith.

That District 9 thing w/ the Nigerians was soo offensive. It was ridiculous. I thinking like "really?"
tired.gif

But yea, everything HueyP stated is on point.

The same old storylines are constantly being rehashed because producers/studios want to mimic guaranteed success without taking any risks.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

We live in a white dominated society, from an economical stand-point it wouldn't make sense to tell these stories without a European protagonist. Especially, in these big budget blockbuster type movies...you go with a proven thing revenue wise. The only black actor that can get away with this is Will Smith.
that's BS

the "blockbuster" movies are blockbusters off of promotion and marketing alone...

granted, there are a couple of bombs every year, but those aren't bombs because they don't have a white protagonist...

this movie would have sold hundreds of millions it's first weekend whether dude was white, black, asian, purple or didn't even exist.

that "its what sells" excuse is so lame....

whatever they put out is going to sell....

just like rap these days....hot hook, hot beat, marketing, promotion......and you chose to rhyme like a preschooler...

you could literally hum your verses and it's gonna sell...

why are you coming with that wack @***, then?

i have to agree that a movie like Avatar has been a reoccurring theme in hollywood. avatar really felt like Pocahontas honestly...and i can see how its thesame for all those other movies where the protagonist switches sides, and fights his "own kind". To call Avatar racist specifically? Nah. Being black(if it matters) I can safely say I didn't walk out of the film thinking that, just only the reoccurring theme. I agree with your perspective on the matterhowever, and I guess it would be nice to see something from the natives' (or whatever opposing force is portrayed) point of view. Avatar was a great movie,but it has a sort of stale feel to it. But that's about it.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

i have to agree that a movie like Avatar has been a reoccurring theme in hollywood. avatar really felt like Pocahontas honestly...and i can see how its the same for all those other movies where the protagonist switches sides, and fights his "own kind". To call Avatar racist specifically? Nah. Being black (if it matters) I can safely say I didn't walk out of the film thinking that, just only the reoccurring theme. I agree with your perspective on the matter however, and I guess it would be nice to see something from the natives' (or whatever opposing force is portrayed) point of view. Avatar was a great movie, but it has a sort of stale feel to it. But that's about it.

Who called Avatar racist?

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by sreggie101

i have to
agree that a movie like Avatar has been a reoccurring theme in
hollywood. avatar really felt like Pocahontas honestly...and i can see
how its the
same for all those other movies where the protagonist switches sides,
and fights his "own kind". To call Avatar racist specifically? Nah.
Being black
(if it matters) I can safely say I didn't walk out of the film thinking
that, just only the reoccurring theme. I agree with your perspective on
the matter
however, and I guess it would be nice to see something from the
natives' (or whatever opposing force is portrayed) point of view.
but it has a sort of stale feel to it. But that's about it.

Who called Avatar racist?

Nobody said specifically, I was just stating an opposing opinion in case some did see it that way.

Might not be related ... but I thought the same about that movie 'Invictus' ...

Why are they acting like this soccer game was what it was?

Kinda hard for me to explain it through text right now, but, yea.

Back
Top Bottom