When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

For the record imperialism isn't unique to white people. Just thought I'd put that out there.
happy.gif

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

I don't think most of the people that replied so far have even read the article...

me neither lol but I thought the same thing about District 9. These directors arent stupid, they make these movies with a goal to get a message across (gooddirectors anyway). Avatar and D9 sre perfect examples of social commentary in a movie

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

Let me start off by saying rarely do I step foot into serious topics but after seeing some of the replies in this thread I have come to one conclusion =
Nt is full of babies
Whenever race or religion comes up a whole slew of you guys call reach, post a gif to show disapproval, or close yours eyes and ears ask for the topic to be locked hide like little kids. And to the dude that posted the rebuttal article - the woman who wrote the article is simply asking for a change of pace from Hollywood, she never called anything racist
She, like others, simply wants to see the native tell their story without a white savior. The author of the rebuttal article is in serious denial and seems to be trying to deflect the racial aspect/ undertone of the film; but at the very least they took time to write an article and you took the time to post it, unlike the other NTers who panic when they're not in their comfort zone

The whole if it's not Will Smith argument is a cop out; Even the most bankable white names put out flop movies at times, you mean to tell me they can't have a movie straight about natives
If I recall correctly Apocalypto was free of a white protagonist and faired pretty well
The main gripe here is not the fact that their are white protagonists but the reoccurring theme of a white man, often originally an oppressor/ enemy, crossing over and becoming the best and brightest and then eventually a savior of a native ppl

It comes off as demeaning, condescending, clichéd and inauthentic.
So when Paul Mooney jokingly says that Tom Hanks is gonna star in a movie called The Last N_, although funny, it pretty much sums up the message that Hollywood has been putting into films for quite some time

Back to the punk #%@ Nters - Why even come into the thread if your gonna post a gif, and/or do the other aforementioned acts but not contribute something constructive to the thread?

I rarely type this much but u dudes acting like pansies pushed me to it
Some of you guys have obvious biases and agendas and just try to come in and shoot down anything you don't agree with; most of the time without having given the article/point a chance and/or having no knowledge of the topic at hand - Case in point yesterday some dude comes into the D ick Gregory thread and asks why were we paying attention to a man preaching in a basement without knowing who D ick Gregory is; C;mon NT we can do better than that

APPLAUSE to this man. I aint been on this board but for a second but the first thing I noticed was that, in general (not by any means everybody), NTers arekinda immature. I never seen a thread where people complain about a post that includes an article was too long. Hell, I never seen peeps ask for cliff notes onon either. If you dnt feel like readin it its 14315 other threads , why crowd this one w/ meaningless .gifs and pics when the OP is tryin to spark a maturediscussion about society. C'mon yall, better yoselves.

The main gripe here is not the fact that their are white protagonists but the reoccurring theme of a white man, often originally an oppressor/ enemy, crossing over and becoming the best and brightest and then eventually a savior of a native ppl

So when Paul Mooney jokingly says that Tom Hanks is gonna star in a movie called The Last N_, although funny, it pretty much sums up the message that Hollywood has been putting into films for quite some time

QFT

James Cameron is white, the audience is mostly white (U.S.) and hollywood actors are mostly white so these types of movies will keep on coming.

The only problem I have is the simplicity of the story and the corny moments in it.

i didnt read the article. kinda seem's like typical " the white man did this" kinda speech
its a movie. get over it

Alot of yall need to read this

mckee1.jpg

Things that yall keep interpreting as secret messages or subliminals are obvious story arcs that have been retold not only through hollywood but literature aswell for a LONG time.This was meant for the audience to catch, you are not especially enlightened to the point of you and a select few are getting thismessage. That has nothing to do with the racial talk just story elements.

^^^Starting off your sentence by saying "you didn't read the article" pretty much nullifies the rest of your statement.

^Who exactly are you referring to as being sensitive? The only ones who appear to be "sensitive" is the ones who either a) are not reading thearticle all together or b) don't actually have a grasp on the literature...............which one are you?

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

Let me start off by saying rarely do I step foot into serious topics but after seeing some of the replies in this thread I have come to one conclusion =
Nt is full of babies
Whenever race or religion comes up a whole slew of you guys call reach, post a gif to show disapproval, or close yours eyes and ears ask for the topic to be locked hide like little kids. And to the dude that posted the rebuttal article - the woman who wrote the article is simply asking for a change of pace from Hollywood, she never called anything racist
She, like others, simply wants to see the native tell their story without a white savior. The author of the rebuttal article is in serious denial and seems to be trying to deflect the racial aspect/ undertone of the film; but at the very least they took time to write an article and you took the time to post it, unlike the other NTers who panic when they're not in their comfort zone

The whole if it's not Will Smith argument is a cop out; Even the most bankable white names put out flop movies at times, you mean to tell me they can't have a movie straight about natives
If I recall correctly Apocalypto was free of a white protagonist and faired pretty well

Back to the punk #%@ Nters - Why even come into the thread if your gonna post a gif, and/or do the other aforementioned acts but not contribute something constructive to the thread?

I rarely type this much but u dudes acting like pansies pushed me to it
Some of you guys have obvious biases and agendas and just try to come in and shoot down anything you don't agree with; most of the time without having given the article/point a chance and/or having no knowledge of the topic at hand - Case in point yesterday some dude comes into the D ick Gregory thread and asks why were we paying attention to a man preaching in a basement without knowing who D ick Gregory is; C;mon NT we can do better than that
preach.jpg

I agree with everything you said man. Emphasis on the bolded portion, it's obvious a ton of people didn't read the article to know that this is a whiteperson pointing this stuff out. The main point the author is trying to make is that Hollywood needs to switch it up for a change, anyone crying racism orsensitivity really needs to take the blinders off and experience life for a change.

Nktran001 wrote:
Didn't read any of that, but Avatar was the best movie I've seen in my life.
I am truly embarrassed for you.

Great article btw op, thanks for posting. A co-worker of mine was expressing this same sentiment as the author and said that they didn't enjoy the film.

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

Enjoy the movie for what it is "entertainment" and stop over analyzing everything in life.
I am sorry, but that is a real ignorant approach my man. How do you think propaganda is spread to the masses? Your response makes you sound like amindless sheep.

Kn0wledgeable, did you even bother reading the article?

people mad over a story that's been told since before people could even write

hilarious. hollywood is lazy. congrats, amazing article

Interesting article. I agree with some of it..... But, if Will Smith was the lead we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Enjoy the movie for what it is "entertainment" and stop over analyzing everything in life.
I am sorry, but that is a real ignorant approach my man. How do you think propaganda is spread to the masses? Your response makes you sound like a mindless sheep.
How is that ignorant though?
Other than bloggers and people who feel the need to write about everything, nobody else is really making that connection.

I mean, I see what youre saying but the majority of people dont look at this film as a white man who saved a race.
My only gripe with this movie is that the story has been told before. The color or race of the savior and the saved is not something I care to dwell on.

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

I am sorry, but that is a real ignorant approach my man. How do you think propaganda is spread to the masses? Your response makes you sound like a mindless sheep.
How is that ignorant though?
Other than bloggers and people who feel the need to write about everything, nobody else is really making that connection.

I mean, I see what youre saying but the majority of people dont look at this film as a white man who saved a race.
My only gripe with this movie is that the story has been told before. The color or race of the savior and the saved is not something I care to dwell on.
pimp.gif

damn man I see some real foolish statements in here... Read the M$#$%#$%@#in article before you post

nobody callin the movie racist...nobody is crying or pulling "the race card"

Some of u dumb fbucks act like a convo cant be held on the undertones r whatever of the film and have the film still be appreciated as good entertainment

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

damn man I see some real foolish statements in here... Read the M$#$%#$%@#in article before you post

nobody callin the movie racist...nobody is crying or pulling "the race card"

Some of u dumb fbucks act like a convo cant be held on the undertones r whatever of the film and have the film still be appreciated as good entertainment

Lets push aside the matter of what side of the argument youre on, but to say the article is not about race???????????

Originally Posted by Nako XL

This is not a message anybody wants to hear, least of all the white people
In the US, to talk about race is to be seen as racist. You become the problem because you bring up the problem. So you find people who are hesitant to talk about it.

But more than that, whites need to rethink their fantasies about race.

Whites need to stop remaking the white guilt story, which is a sneaky way of turning every story about people of color into a story about being white.

ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom