When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

no one called anyone racist. i never used that word, not even the article i posted used that language.

all i said is the motifs in films like Avatar are hackneyed.

by making a thread titled "When are black people going to stop making ignorant music" he'd imply only Blacks make ignorant music. there aren't that many Black film studios producing films like Avatar though, no?

Maybe when The Last N___ starring Tom Hanks releases...

It doesn't necessarily imply that though. If I ask when are the Pirates going to stop sucking at baseball, it doesn't imply that every other team isgreat in baseball. If I say when will black people stop making ignorant music, it doesn't mean that all other races are making non-ignorant music. Context matters.

Similarly - as I did, you could twist this article to be implying that only white people are racist. Again - you can see whatever you want to see in thisworld.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by Prime Suspects 36

If someone makes a post about "When are black people going to stop making ignorant music" this place would be shut down
grin.gif

I will never in my life watch fake movies like this crap but I have respect for anyone that can make that much money on something so stupid

Well by doing that you'd be implying that ignorant music is unique to Blacks...
Not exactly. Unless you're willing to admit the point of this thread is that only white people are racist.
nerd.gif
no one called anyone racist. i never used that word, not even the article i posted used that language.

I thought we were all reading between the lines.

If someone makes a post about "When are black people going to stop making ignorant music" this place would be shut down
grin.gif

I will never in my life watch fake movies like this crap but I have respect for anyone that can make that much money on something so stupid

I could take you one further - Who controls and markets said music and has it on your air waves?
The music being talked about here is Hip-Hop and within Hip Hop there are tons of artists that don't make 'ignorant music' and how much air time dothey receive?
Outside of rap there are a whole bunch of other genres where black ppl are the dominating racial face of said genre - Baltimore Club, Go-Go, Reggae, Dancehall,Calypso , Soca , etc. - and in those genres there are tons of positive images, and are all possibly bankable but yet they get no exposure

At the end of the day the visibility and mass marketing of the message also has a major role to play
If the movies with the "Savior" clichés were on Community Access, there would be little to no fanfare

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

grin.gif

Not exactly. Unless you're willing to admit the point of this thread is that only white people are racist.
nerd.gif

all i said is the motifs in films like Avatar are hackneyed.

by making a thread titled "When are black people going to stop making ignorant music" he'd imply only Blacks make ignorant music. there aren't that many Black film studios producing films like Avatar though, no?

Maybe when The Last N___ starring Tom Hanks releases...

Originally Posted by Diego

Us minorities have many more problems we need to take care us within our race before we can begin to worry about the white savior in a film.

no offense, but that's a cop out.

laugh.gif

Question: When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

Answer: When black people stop going to see them, falling so madly in love with the film that they have to create a thread about it on NT.

smh.gif
& OP

(Am I being racist? No. Sarcastic? Yes.)

/thread

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

Let me start off by saying rarely do I step foot into serious topics but after seeing some of the replies in this thread I have come to one conclusion =
Nt is full of babies
Whenever race or religion comes up a whole slew of you guys call reach, post a gif to show disapproval, or close yours eyes and ears ask for the topic to be locked hide like little kids. And to the dude that posted the rebuttal article - the woman who wrote the article is simply asking for a change of pace from Hollywood, she never called anything racist
She, like others, simply wants to see the native tell their story without a white savior. The author of the rebuttal article is in serious denial and seems to be trying to deflect the racial aspect/ undertone of the film; but at the very least they took time to write an article and you took the time to post it, unlike the other NTers who panic when they're not in their comfort zone

The whole if it's not Will Smith argument is a cop out; Even the most bankable white names put out flop movies at times, you mean to tell me they can't have a movie straight about natives
If I recall correctly Apocalypto was free of a white protagonist and faired pretty well
The main gripe here is not the fact that their are white protagonists but the reoccurring theme of a white man, often originally an oppressor/ enemy, crossing over and becoming the best and brightest and then eventually a savior of a native ppl

It comes off as demeaning, condescending, clichéd and inauthentic.
So when Paul Mooney jokingly says that Tom Hanks is gonna star in a movie called The Last N_, although funny, it pretty much sums up the message that Hollywood has been putting into films for quite some time

Back to the punk #%@ Nters - Why even come into the thread if your gonna post a gif, and/or do the other aforementioned acts but not contribute something constructive to the thread?

I rarely type this much but u dudes acting like pansies pushed me to it
Some of you guys have obvious biases and agendas and just try to come in and shoot down anything you don't agree with; most of the time without having given the article/point a chance and/or having no knowledge of the topic at hand - Case in point yesterday some dude comes into the D ick Gregory thread and asks why were we paying attention to a man preaching in a basement without knowing who D ick Gregory is; C;mon NT we can do better than that

i read up to page 6...and this is where im stopping & quoting. also, lulz @ "unobtainium" peace.

Originally Posted by Shaze804

i read up to page 6...and this is where im stopping & quoting. also, lulz @ "unobtainium" peace.

Things picked up after page 6.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

When will the politically correct mafia stop coercing others into feeling guilty for nothing other than being White?
That's really what you took away from this topic, really?

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

When will the politically correct mafia stop coercing others into feeling guilty for nothing other than being White?
That's really what you took away from this topic, really?
better? once again, story has been told countless times. In many cultures.

when will they stop? when they stop making money. what else is there to say?

....I'm still laughing at "squint"
roll.gif

You are delusional Craftsy. Near the end is basically the Trail of Tears with ShrimpHorses and Blue Monkeys
indifferent.gif
...The narration even calls it something similar to that....squint??You're insulting our intelligence now
laugh.gif

NT's IQ comes out to play yet again....

Didn't know so many of you people are so upset with the way movies are scripted. Yes I read the article. Something like it has nothing to do with race,it's that we're tired of white people being portrayed as the saviors of an alien or minority group.

99% of a time when I watch a movie I don't care about what "meaning" it's supposed to have. Was Avatar an ok story? Yes, it was. I don'twatch movies to divulge what kind of purpose the movie was supposed to portray. Now James Cameron is an environmentalist, so I do suppose I could understandthat Avatar was supposed to show how capitalist interests destroy environmental means.

Ok this next part may get off topic for a bit, but I think it does have something to do with the topic.

My point is, the era of movies with originality is over. Today's movies try so hard to incorporate shock, action, drama, and money. They want to test howwell their movies sell. Example: Inglourious Basterds. It wasn't a good story, and it was shocking because Jewish people were inhumanely killing Nazis,which was never explored before. If you start to think that movies are supposed to mean something, you only will come up with negatives. They're veryRARELY supposed to mean anything. This is just my own opinion, if you don't agree, that's fine. Look at that upcoming movie, Kick-!%%. They areexploring the new genre of superhero by making them have no superpowers, and giving them generic names, contrary to past superhero/heroine names"Superman" "Green Goblin" "WonderWoman".

Then the rest of the movies that come out just follow the model of rescripting a novel, which is not bad, but as I was saying, is for simple money. Take analready liked plot or story, add some handsome actors/actresses in, and it will sell, that's the formula for making millions. Good plots in Hollywood are adime a dozen, and while some movies are indeed great movies, the success of the movie is based on its income, and not the plot.

Now my point is that people should stop trying to nitpick on these movies. Yeah, hate a movie if an actor sucks, like Nicolas Cage, or if the plot was toobland and boring. If you take time to read a classic novel, then you will realize that movies will never come close to the sort of intimacy that is experiencedwhen reading a novel. Movies are simply commercial in their nature and that is why I don't care about how a movie follows any general story arc, or howwhites dominate the "savior" roles. Movies are scripted to fit the budget and the tastes of the audiences.

So, these movies will only be stopped when the majority of the audience agrees that they're tired of these plots, which obviously won't happen forawhile. If it is selling, Hollywood doesn't care about how lame or unoriginal their plots are. I watched Avatar because it came in 3D and because it washeavily involved in science-fiction and action. I watch movies to see action, drama, or comedy. I read books to find a deeper meaning and an original plotthat movies will never get to. Movies can only copy and rewrite such plots for the tastes of an audience, like say Fight Club (Palahniuk is a great writerhowever).

To conclude, all I'm saying is that the entire article is arguing something that will never be achieved in an instant. Movies are for entertainmentpurposes. Trying to stop the same story arc from being used over and over again is pointless because Hollywood is trying to make profit off the masses, notplease them with originality. I understand that and have accepted it, and that's why I'm not bothered at all with Avatar or District 9's storyplot.

If you're still annoyed by the way Hollywood makes its money, so be it. I'm not trying to change your opinion. It's the last few days of the decadeso lets not get that upset over a movie.

Great article. My favorite parts in bold:

But then they go beyond assimilation and become leaders of the people they once oppressed. This is the essence of the white guilt fantasy, laidbare.It's not just a wish to be absolved of the crimes whites have committed against people of color; it's not just a wish tojoin the side of moral justice in battle. It's a wish to lead people of color from the inside rather than from the (oppressive, white)outside.

Interestingly, Wikus in District 9 learns a very different lesson. He's becoming alien and he can't go back. He has no other choice but tolive in the slums and eat catfood. And guess what? He really hates it. He helps his alien buddy to escape Earth solely because he's hoping the guy willcome back in a few years with a "cure" for his alienness. When whites fantasize about becoming other races, it's only fun if theycan blithely ignore the fundamental experience of being an oppressed racial group. Which is that you are oppressed, and nobody will let you be a leader ofanything.

The $ thing is still a cop out
Even the biggest names in Hollywood still make non-blockbuster 'artsy' low budget independent flicks. If those flicks didn't matter then why arethose same flicks nominated for Oscars and other awards?

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by xxxoverridexxx

Dude..you need a hug or something?

WE ARE WATCHING A MOVIE.

I watched this movie and saw many similarities to what you are saying and then I went to a bathroom and took a dump and moved on with my life.

I think we are done with watching movies and taking them seriously. I dont plan on jumping on your back when you arent watching and making you my *%$%$, taking me to the supermarket and stuff.

Are you ******ed?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Movies, music, television, are all forms of communication which have an impact on our society. With that being said, it is important to analyze everything, you may just want to be entertained, but every song, movie, and show which you come in contact with is trying to convey a message.

This article merely pointed out the stereotypical plot which Avatar reinforced, and what causes the particular story to be so popular in Hollywood.

Zing!!!

B Smooth pretty much summed it up, it they aint gettin it by now then its a lost cause. Let em continue to be blind.

Originally Posted by Rell

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

I don't think most of the people that replied so far have even read the article...

me neither lol but I thought the same thing about District 9. These directors arent stupid, they make these movies with a goal to get a message across (good directors anyway). Avatar and D9 sre perfect examples of social commentary in a movie
i didnt think about that. you really can draw parallels between District 9 and Avatar

They just need to tell the other side of the story some time. It's always an "outsider" coming to rise up the minority. How bout the minorityovercome on their own for once or the minority rising up the majority.

Don't tell me about that Clint Eastwood flick either. Dude stayed a bigot till the end.

Oh and yes we need to make a better variety of flicks ourselves, wheres Singleton been?

Originally Posted by jbone2308

They just need to tell the other side of the story some time. It's always an "outsider" coming to rise up the minority. How bout the minority overcome on their own for once or the minority rising up the majority.

Don't tell me about that Clint Eastwood flick either. Dude stayed a bigot till the end.

Oh and yes we need to make a better variety of flicks ourselves, wheres Singleton been?
Last I heard she was bumping rails in Vegas, to Ben Balder's dismay.

Originally Posted by jbone2308

They just need to tell the other side of the story some time. It's always an "outsider" coming to rise up the minority. How bout the minority overcome on their own for once or the minority rising up the majority.

Then watch Independence Day or War of the Worlds. Roles are reversed even though its difficult to tell the story from the aliens point of view.

Back
Top Bottom