Who cried when they found out Santa wasnt real

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

I think lying to your kids about Santa is one of the dumbest things you can do as a parent. What's the point?

Then when they find out, they're going to wonder why you lied to them. I told my daughters the truth... "I bought those gifts."

13b263f6c36b51ccbbbf1bdfcd4318ae7d6324ea_r.gif

I think lying to your kids about Santa is one of the dumbest things you can do as a parent. What's the point?

Then when they find out, they're going to wonder why you lied to them. I told my daughters the truth... "I bought those gifts."

its instills a sense of mystery, awe and interest while they're still a kid, it facilitates the development of their imagination, curiosity etc. It really does make the holiday more special as opposed to "I bought the gifts that you wanted....you will receive them in the morning." 

Others say it to make the kid behave but thats another story.

Age matters too, after like 8 years old....you're starting to insult their intelligence. But you'd def tell a 3 year old about Santa. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

My guess is that its the same people who cried when they found out god wasn't real.

Santa : Children :: God : Adults

Now why do you even have to go there?
We talking about a innocent fantasy of a gift giver to all the Good Boys & Girls then you start bringing up a religion.

Just stop

What lie were parents telling their children before some dude created Santa?

Originally Posted by iYen

What lie were parents telling their children before some dude created Santa?

I doubt that had another device, Probably was more "this is the day Jesus was born, let us rejoice and be glad in him. Presents? It isn't enough the savior of man kind was born maybe on this day?." Probably corps caught on to the end of the year job gifts/bonus and used Santa Claus to capitalize on the extra spending money.( My theory).

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

My guess is that its the same people who cried when they found out god wasn't real.

Santa : Children :: God : Adults

Now why do you even have to go there?
We talking about a innocent fantasy of a gift giver to all the Good Boys & Girls then you start bringing up a religion.

Just stop

This dude is trying to hard at this point.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

its instills a sense of mystery, awe and interest while they're still a kid, 

Delusion is the more appropriate term. 

It stalls the ability to properly be skeptical of irrational arguments. Its leads them to be more gullible as time passes. Thats inversely useful in a world predicated on separating benevolent from dangerous situations.
it facilitates the development of their imagination, curiosity etc.
You don't have to believe in Santa to be creative. Creativity comes from those that utilize what they know exists in front of them. All inventions are iterations of existing items in new forms. Rarely, if at all, are inventions or nascent ideas spontaneous occurences.
It really does make the holiday more special as opposed to "I bought the gifts that you wanted....you will receive them in the morning." 

Thats all it really is, isn't it? What else is it? There really isn't anything else to it.

Thats all symbolism is, right? 

It probably breaks some of your hearts to learn that tradition is intrinsically empty. Rituals mean nothing. 

Jumping over a broom or wearing a wedding ring doesn't really do anything. The meaning of things is what you add to them. It doesn't stand on its own. 

Washing yourself in the ganges river or kneeling down and reciting some words out of an outdated book means what? NOTHING. 

You can't substitute being a good parent from the get-go. 

If you need mythology (religion included) to calm your child down, all you're doing is putting a band-aid on a growing wound.
Age matters too, after like 8 years old....you're starting to insult their intelligence.
Ironic...why don't you just help them out from the beginning and improve their cognitive ability to reason from the beginning?
eyes.gif

But all of a sudden, on the 8th trip around the sun then it some how means that their intelligence is being tested. But you didn't need all that time to figure that out, did you?
But you'd def tell a 3 year old about Santa.
 Or not. 
You make a distinction that its ok for a 3 year old to believe but an 8 year old to not believe.

Then you say the 8 year old would be insulted.

So is the 3 year old not worth of the same ethical perspective? Is that young and even more impressionable mind not deserving of the same treatment and judgment to existing standards? 

It seems like you're willing to lose crucial time developing cognitive and intellectual abilities for the sake of fitting in socially with the rest of society that doesn't know any better. 

It stalls the ability to properly be skeptical of irrational arguments. Its leads them to be more gullible as time passes. Thats inversely useful in a world predicated on separating benevolent from dangerous situations.
You don't have to believe in Santa to be creative. Creativity comes from those that utilize what they know exists in front of them. All inventions are iterations of existing items in new forms. Rarely, if at all, are inventions or nascent ideas spontaneous occurences.
It really does make the holiday more special as opposed to "I bought the gifts that you wanted....you will receive them in the morning." 

Thats all it really is, isn't it? What else is it? There really isn't anything else to it.

It probably breaks some of your hearts to learn that tradition is intrinsically empty. Rituals mean nothing. 

Jumping over a broom or wearing a wedding ring doesn't really do anything. The meaning of things is what you add to them. It doesn't stand on its own. 

Washing yourself in the ganges river or kneeling down and reciting some words out of an outdated book means what? NOTHING. 

If you need mythology (religion included) to calm your child down, all you're doing is putting a band-aid on a growing wound.
Age matters too, after like 8 years old....you're starting to insult their intelligence.
Ironic...why don't you just help them out from the beginning and improve their cognitive ability to reason from the beginning?
eyes.gif

But all of a sudden, on the 8th trip around the sun then it some how means that their intelligence is being tested. But you didn't need all that time to figure that out, did you?
 Or not. 
You make a distinction that its ok for a 3 year old to believe but an 8 year old to not believe.

So is the 3 year old not worth of the same ethical perspective? Is that young and even more impressionable mind not deserving of the same treatment and judgment to existing standards? 

It seems like you're willing to lose crucial time developing cognitive and intellectual abilities for the sake of fitting in socially with the rest of society that doesn't know any better. 

Too prosaic imo. Let a kid be a kid and enjoy childhood. Kids like hearing stories, fairy tales etc. I can only speak from my own experience but it was was more exciting and enjoyable for me and im glad my parents told me what they did. I found out for myself. No one told me. 
glasses.gif
Perhaps finding out for yourself develops one's "cognitive skills" better than your parents just flat out telling you as soon as u can comprehend their words. "Crucial time developing cognitive and intellectual abilities"....no offense SP but you sounding like that asian dad meme 
laugh.gif
Its not that serious, therefore ima stay trolling my kids. 

sillyputty wrote:
TeamJordan79 wrote:

eyes.gif

Or not. 

Too prosaic imo. Let a kid be a kid and enjoy childhood. Kids like hearing stories, fairy tales etc. I can only speak from my own experience but it was was more exciting and enjoyable for me and im glad my parents told me what they did. I found out for myself. No one told me. 
glasses.gif
Perhaps finding out for yourself develops one's "cognitive skills" better than your parents just flat out telling you as soon as u can comprehend their words. "Crucial time developing cognitive and intellectual abilities"....no offense SP but you sounding like that asian dad meme 
laugh.gif
Its not that serious, therefore ima stay trolling my kids. 

Wrong again and thanks for the inaccurate stereotype.

Look. I'm not going to lie to my kids. But i'm not going to force them to accept anything either.

I want them to figure things out on their own.

If they come home asking me about Santa, i'll tell them that there are people who believe this guy in a red suit flys around delivering presents. I'll ask if they believe it and why. 

I want them to validate their own thoughts. I'm not trying to impose on them. They need to figure it out for themselves.

If my kid asks about christianity or islam, i'll do the same thing. I'll give them the book, tell them what those people believe, and leave them to decide if it makes sense or if they want to believe it. 

Its up to them to decide how they want to accept MYTHOLOGY. 

If my kid comes home and starts talking about santa, i'll ask a couple of questions to make them think but i'm not going to tell them its not real. I'll let them come to that conclusion...but i'm DAMN sure not going to reinforce it either. 

Things that are true tend to be true no matter how much icing you put on the cake or layers you put over it.

Kids will be kids and they will believe all sorts of things, but I REFUSE to reinforce what is patently false.

They will learn to develop a sense of skepticism and rationality based on their own experiences. I want to be as out of the way in that process as I can. The lessons they can learn independently will serve them much greater than I can shielding the world from them or forcing lies on them. 

Remember, you're an adult and they trust you with their lives. Its your responsibility to not take that task lightly. 

I didn't cry, i was more confused. Forget how old i was i think i was 4 or 5, i opened my gift from santa and it had a Fedco price tag on it still 
laugh.gif
(hopefully some of y'all still remember Fedco). I went up to my mom asking if santa stole stuff from stores and she laughed. Pops was the one that wrapped the gift and forgot to take the tag off. 

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

I didn't cry, i was more confused. Forget how old i was i think i was 4 or 5, i opened my gift from santa and it had a Fedco price tag on it still 
laugh.gif
(hopefully some of y'all still remember Fedco). I went up to my mom asking if santa stole stuff from stores and she laughed. Pops was the one that wrapped the gift and forgot to take the tag off. 

This is understandable but if my child is 9, 10, or 11 and still believes those lies I may have to refer them for IQ testing.

Back
Top Bottom