Who really cares if Rose cheated?

Originally Posted by lakersmets49ers

Originally Posted by tmay407

You've gotta be kidding.

So you're saying that just because these kids can go "one and done," the NCAA should just quit caring about upholding its reputation? The NCAA has rules for a reason, it's really not that hard to follow them. I'm sorry, but if you can't get a qualifying SAT score (especially for Conference USA and a school like Memphis), you really don't deserve to be doing anything with your life.

Get out of here with that @!%%.

cosign that 100%

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

morally, it was wrong. but he's getting paid right now. that's all that matters.

You know what's sad about this statement? Is that National Dropout rates are around 45%.

If Derrick Rose god forbid had career ending injury, this dude couldn't even get a job at McDonalds.

How's Lenny Cooke doin?

nerd.gif

what does david stern have to do with all the kids in the US that dont want to take the SAT or cheat on their test, because "look at Derrick Rose, hemade, why cant we do it?"

These allegations, just made the education system look like a joke, and to make matters worse, it'll soon go to football, baseball and other sports, justcause kids dont feel like going to school, thinking that their talent will take them to the big leagues. and the coaches they dont care about these kids,they'll tell them anything they wanna hear

Originally Posted by Al3xis

this stuff is not always the reality of a 'star' recruit. Nor do I think we gota look at all these kids strictly as basketball players. There is more to it at some places and with some kids.

This crap happens at places like Memphis, now Kentucky, Uconn, USC, etc.

we wouldn't see this happen at Carolina, Duke, current UCLA, G'town, etc.

My solution...

Make college a 2 year requirement for these kids or give them the choice to go pro again. 1 year is pointless.

and let's not act like Rose had to do this to get outa the hood either. He was being taken care by this point. He made a poor decision....but even worse are his handlers and Cal that pushed those decisions.

And it's easy to say now, that he was lock to be an NBA player and a star. That's not always the case.

Take John Riek for example....lotto pick 2 years ago..now will we even see him in the NBA? He coulda gone one way and did his academics, found a good school and be on track right now, but instead he got mixed in with the wrong side of the business.

I can't fault the players, it's the AAU coaches/agents/relatives that lead them in the wrong direction. But the kids gota wake up and see that there is more than basketball and that part of life MIGHT be needed at some point.

you know this how?

Rose was a lock and everyone knew it. Why waste the time in college. All he needed was 2.0 to play in the second semester of NCAA action.

He played the game and he won

where is this 2 year logic coming from? when the year to year scholarship is not guaranteed on the players behalf.

why can't you fault the althetle blaming everything on the "handlers". They have to make their school decision in the spring/summer, so by themmany are almost 18 some 19, no one is forcing them to take all this money under the table to go a school....

NCAA is a business. Rose just cashed in

show me an example where a kid was funneled to one of thoses programs like Cal has done.

UNC can hand pick any kid they want right now, and there is a reason they've never been serious players like Mayo and Rose. too much baggage and peoplelookin for handouts. Just think about John Wall.

Renardo Sidney got told to kick rocks by Ben Howland, but Rick Stansbury took him in...wonder why...

It's easy to pick out the dirty coaches and programs.

Two years would make a student athlete be a student athlete. at least a little bit.

The handlers are to blame the most because it starts at a much younger age than 18 or 19.

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

what does david stern have to do with all the kids in the US that dont want to take the SAT or cheat on their test, because "look at Derrick Rose, he made, why cant we do it?"

These allegations, just made the education system look like a joke, and to make matters worse, it'll soon go to football, baseball and other sports, just cause kids dont feel like going to school, thinking that their talent will take them to the big leagues. and the coaches they dont care about these kids, they'll tell them anything they wanna hear

The American Education system IS and has been a joke, all the way down to the elementary education system.

Originally Posted by 6demonbag

what does david stern have to do with all the kids in the US that dont want to take the SAT or cheat on their test, because "look at Derrick Rose, he made, why cant we do it?"

These allegations, just made the education system look like a joke, and to make matters worse, it'll soon go to football, baseball and other sports, just cause kids dont feel like going to school, thinking that their talent will take them to the big leagues. and the coaches they dont care about these kids, they'll tell them anything they wanna hear

The American Education system IS and has been a joke, all the way down to the elementary education system.

yeah, well this just made it even worse. i think the NBA and any league for that matter should have requirements for players to go to the draft, if you draftplayers that can't even take a simple highschool test they dont deserve to be in the league.talent is great, but players like that only cause problems.

making it to the pro's is no difference than getting a real job, so you should have to put requirements, just like businesses do, not just talent orpotential

Thank you Thank you for the nomination for Parent of the Year...yeh you call yourself being sarcastic but I bet my kids and all those in my family and circleall get a degree. If not a degree, then a HS diploma and a whole lot of money.

You all can play by the rules, but my kind gonna do what need to get done all day, every day. We already got enough God given intelligence as it is. If youcan't take the weapons in front of you to win, then I hope you can swim. I feel bad for those of you waiting on a come up rather than having the testicularfortitude to take a chance to make it happen.

I never condoned his actions, but I did say that they made sense and by default, I don't care that Rose may have cheated. I never blamed the system, but Isaid that a young man found a way to beat the system.

people like you are gonna be the downfall of this country, when no one wants to learn or go to school, just cheat and when you find out that you cant do $!++,you're gonna work at the local super market.. just like the rest that thinks they have this so called GOD given talent. and some might do, but rememberkorleone young? i dont have to say much more.. at least he had a highschool diploma. if he didn't cause he was going to the league anyways... well you knowwhat happened to him

yeh Korleone Young flopped, I didn't as a regular working person nor has Derrick Rose, as rookie of the year.

People like me already rule the world...and its not so called God given talent, it is. I took my ACTs cat and did well on them, my sister topped 30 on hers.When I say its God given talent in my family I mean it.

Your response lets me know what type of people you come from. Korleone Young has no business being mentioned in this thread. I think you need a timeout or anap, whichever comes first.

Good evening (or should I say morning) TYG and any other that feels this is such a travesty. Again, I must say how much of a privilege it is to be aroundperfect people.

GOD given talent in your family? hahaha you're funny, not so smart but funny as hell.. what type of people do i come from? you know, people like you thinkthat, just cause they're good at something or they have a talent, that they are above everyone else and that they can bend the rules. it's cool thatyou're smart, or good at sports. but if you really are that what you say you are, why do you need to cheat? you're not better than any of us.

Why hasn't Rose come out and defend himself?

I dont know if the rules have changed, but I took my SAT's in 2002 and you needed a 2 forms of picture ID, so how they did that work out?

What is sad about the situation is that Memphis is going to suffer because Rose is a scumbag, all the talent in the world, but used is athletic ability andname to manipulate the system. Also, wasnt Rose already under investigation because of his brother??

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

I dont know if the rules have changed, but I took my SAT's in 2002 and you needed a 2 forms of picture ID, so how they did that work out?

What is sad about the situation is that Memphis is going to suffer because Rose is a scumbag, all the talent in the world, but used is athletic ability and name to manipulate the system. Also, wasnt Rose already under investigation because of his brother??
Fake ID for the person that took his test?
laugh.gif
smh.gif

GOD given talent in your family? hahaha you're funny, not so smart but funny as hell.. what type of people do i come from? you know, people like you think that, just cause they're good at something or they have a talent, that they are above everyone else and that they can bend the rules. it's cool that you're smart, or good at sports. but if you really are that what you say you are, why do you need to cheat? you're not better than any of us.

TYG, LOL @ you. I'm not going to go back and forth with you over the blessings and talents my family has received. Let's try sticking to the subject.OKAY BUDDY!

I don't know what type of people you come from, and I don't care to know. Please quote me where I said I, or people like me, are better than anyone.When I said that people like me rule the world (a sarcastic statement) I was implying that our leaders are not faultless. No matter how much education or cloutthey have, there is someone that will point out flaws or something they did in their past.

My memory is hazy at times, but I don't think I ever said that or suggested it. What I said was that people that are willing to take risks in life tend todo better IMO.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-31-morrissey-derrick-rose-may31,0,951121.column

chicagotribune.com
Derrick Rose allegations expose a flawed system
Star players put focus on making NBA, not high school, college
Rick Morrissey

In the wake of the news

May 31, 2009

Everything about the way Derrick Rose plays basketball says he cares about the concept of "team." He's unselfish. He's a wonderful passer.He's as far away from having a me-first attitude as a worker ant is.

Everything about the allegations of fraudulent test-taking and grade-changing suggest he or the people around him never really cared about anything beyond hispursuit of an NBA career.

That there's a possibility Rose never knew what a No. 2 pencil was while at Simeon Career Academy shouldn't come as much of a surprise, not in aclimate that gave LeBron James a $90 million shoe contract before he walked on an NBA floor for the first time.

When you're an NBA prospect at 15, you keep your eye on the prize. And the prize is not a date with the captain of the high school cheerleading team.

If the NBA were a realistic goal from early on, how much could Rose's state titles at Simeon and his one year at Memphis have meant to him? That's theproblem with the AAU-dominated world in which we live. There's a toe-tapping impatience all around when it comes to an extremely talented basketballplayer. We're always talking about "the next level," with the clear implication that the current level doesn't mean squat.

High school and college look like numbing, mandatory mile markers on the way to the final destination.

Really, how many memories could Rose have from his September-May marriage to the Memphis Tigers?

And if it were abundantly clear he was an NBA star-in-waiting, held up only by the rule that players have to wait at least one year after high school beforeentering the draft, how much could his prep career have meant to him?

The academic shenanigans that might have occurred in Rose's case only happen if other people have some sort of investment, whether it be monetary oremotional.

The NCAA is investigating an allegedly fraudulent SAT score for a player on the 2007-08 Memphis team that played in the national championship game. That playeris believed to be Rose.

There are also reports of Memphis providing about $2,200 in benefits to Rose's brother and protector, Reggie.

And a source has told the Tribune that someone changed Rose's transcript in the final semester of his senior year at Simeon, raising a D to a C.

Makes you feel warm all over, doesn't it?

It's time we stop pretending and start doing things the way Europe does them. Start leagues in the United States for people who want to playprofessionally, regardless of their age. Jeremy Tyler, a high school junior from San Diego, plans to skip his senior year and play for a pro team in Europenext season.

"Nowadays people look to college for more off-the-court stuff versus being in the gym and getting better," he told the New York Times.

"If you're really focused on getting better, you go play pro somewhere. Pro guys will get you way better than playing against college guys."

He has it right: Why continue with the sham of education when most of these stars would rather be playing for money? As someone who favors the excitement ofthe college game over the all-business NBA, I have a very hard time making that statement. But many of the young standouts just want to play basketball, andunder the current setup, that leads to the kinds of allegations surrounding Rose.

The culture in high school basketball, especially in the Chicago Public League, is centered on getting exposure for players who want to play at the "nextlevel." So why do we pretend otherwise?

Why is an Illinois high school student allowed to drop out at 17, but we get indignant at the thought of a high school-age hoopster playing professionally?

By the time the Rose mess is over, there will be taint, though probably little of it will stick to him.

Is anyone going to look at Simeon's state titles the same way? Probably not, and the sad part is that none of the wrongdoing, if there was any, had to dowith keeping Rose eligible in high school.

There's a chance that Memphis' second-place finish in the NCAA tournament will be wiped off the books. There's also a chance the NCAA will punishthe school's basketball program further.

Too bad for Rose's former teammates, and too bad for the players who came after him.

But Rose is a Chicago Bull now, a pro making lots of money. Wasn't that the idea all along?

Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 2009, Chicago Tribune

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

What is sad about the situation is that Memphis is going to suffer because Rose is a scumbag, all the talent in the world, but used is athletic ability and name to manipulate the system. Also, wasnt Rose already under investigation because of his brother??
Fake ID for the person that took his test?
laugh.gif
smh.gif
No. The proctors who sit at the check in tables are just employees of the school the test is being hosted at. I'm sure in due time we'llfind out who took the test for him and who the proctor(s) was that let him do it.

It's time we stop pretending and start doing things the way Europe does them. Start leagues in the United States for people who want to play professionally, regardless of their age. Jeremy Tyler, a high school junior from San Diego, plans to skip his senior year and play for a pro team in Europe next season.

Anyone ever hear this kid speak? He sounds like a moron.

I've heard it all when college is actually "punishing" to a kid. When are people going to realize that NOT EVERYONE CAN MAKE IT TO THE NBA? Ifanything those leagues mentioned in the article don't improve the situation, it just broadens it and makes it legal.

It's time we stop pretending and start doing things the way Europe does them. Start leagues in the United States for people who want to play professionally, regardless of their age. Jeremy Tyler, a high school junior from San Diego, plans to skip his senior year and play for a pro team in Europe next season.

Anyone ever hear this kid speak? He sounds like IS a moron.

I've heard it all when college is actually "punishing" to a kid. When are people going to realize that NOT EVERYONE CAN MAKE IT TO THE NBA? If anything those leagues mentioned in the article don't improve the situation, it just broadens it and makes it legal.

some parents he has, actually encouraging this, sounds like their just along for the ride.

Originally Posted by heLiumcLinton

so when Rose NBA Career is over what is he going to do?

what exactly can he do as for as job wise?
who cares? he will probably make over $100 million in the NBA

so if he's smart, he can EASILY live off that for the rest of his life. Not to mention to NBA pension.

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

Originally Posted by heLiumcLinton

so when Rose NBA Career is over what is he going to do?

what exactly can he do as for as job wise?
who cares? he will probably make over $100 million in the NBA

so if he's smart, he can EASILY live off that for the rest of his life. Not to mention to NBA pension.
laugh.gif
How many countless athletes have we seen over the yearsgo broke after making tons of money? And once again, what happens if he gets hurt tomorrow and his career is over?

Back
Top Bottom