Who really cares if Rose cheated?

Memphis fans wouldn't care less as long as their team continues going to the Final Four

starbury ,

People cheat , its life . Most of the kids @ the top of my class cheated their way through . I watched kids cheat , its not me . Its just basketball anyway ,it isn't like he was competing to be the President or something (which most have cheated their way into school) .

He's a great basketball player . Like I said , academics isn't for everyone . America loves trying to tell people their path ... his path is basketball& he followed it .

I don't remember taking a damn SAT , & I go to Loyola University . Even if I did take it , I got a good @%+ score & it still doesn't matter inmy life .

and if Memphis is put on probation? Scholarships cut back? Yah who cares if Rose cheated? What backlash?

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Originally Posted by starbury03

Because he didn't cheat physically what he accomplished isn't tainted?
laugh.gif
alien.gif

Taking and passing the SATs by himself would have made him a better player in your opinion? Seriously?

Remember, were talking about BASKETBALL
laugh.gif
. Your SAT score aint gonna make you smarter on the court.

Originally Posted by starbury03

You only see people like Rose only as athletes? Good. Cause NCAA schools and NBA teams only see him as $$$.
I wonder why sports programs around the nation are so *#!*%$ up. Geez...
tired.gif
This shouldnt be news to you or anyone else
Oh yeah that's right I forgot were talking about BASKETBALL. Basketball
laugh.gif
. Passing wouldn't have made a difference on the court..but maybe it wouldhave helped him grow mentally as a person.

And it's not news to me that things like this happen everyday..but that doesen't mean I should sit around and be okay with it
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

I don't remember taking a damn SAT , & I go to Loyola University . Even if I did take it , I got a good @%+ score & it still doesn't matter in my life .
you wouldn't have got a good score.

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

Rose, and many like him, have a gift. Why should society and the educational system hold him back from pursuing his dream?
Nothing should hold him back. But that doesn't mean he has to be on one path to success. I know you know this, but you can be a scholarathlete. Doesn't mean everyone has to be, but athletes need to be pushed in the classroom too.

Chi ILL wrote:
He's a great basketball player . Like I said , academics isn't for everyone . America loves trying to tell people their path ... his path is basketball & he followed it .

That's the thing. I'm sure DRose isn't the only one who had someone sit in for them. He's a big name, that's why he is gettingall this attention and scrutiny. What about all the students who never turned their athletic talent into something substantial? And before people tell me its apersonal decision, you have to remember in modern day sports, these kids have it ingrained at a young age that their ticket in life is to kick, throw, or shootsome sort of ball. Academica world is second (if it is there at all) to their sports world.

That's why there should be more attention focused on Myron Rolle, but we know that ain't happening.

Well I guess in the end this will just expose some "illegal practices" in schools everywhere. But they can't touch Rose regardless.

people think that playing basketball is a right. well, it's not. it's a privilege. they are student/athletes. means that they are students first. notthe other way around. if you cannot perform in the class room you shouldnt be on the court either.

school might not be for everyone, but what happens if a player thinks basketball is all he needs in life, has no highschool diploma and blows out his knee.he'll be working at 7-11, walmart or homeless. just cause he put basketball first and has nothing to fall back on.

i know most of you seen "coach carter". so you think he was wrong for making his players study? i don't. not every player will make it to theleague, everyone has that dream, but for every kobe, lebron, wade etc. there are a million who dont make it. and the ones that dont and dont even have ahighschool degree, they'll work at your local supermarket.

TYG, I used to coach boys basketball (5-8th) for three years. As the coach, I checked on my players behavior and grades. In the end though, I could not controlwhat these kids were doing in the classroom. I could make them run laps all day, but if a kid cheated on a test to make sure he could play, that was out of myhands.

Maybe Calipari knew, maybe he didn't, you need proof. I guess this thread could go on for days but we will all have to agree to disagree on this matter.

Hopefully we can still keep our State and City Titles.

The NCAA and these school systems need to take a long hard look themselves.

Even though I don't agree with what he did he was only 15 back then getting guidance from so called adults.

But I still don't care,he made it out of Englewood alive!

Originally Posted by SouthsideChi773

Hopefully we can still keep our State and City Titles.

The NCAA and these school systems need to take a long hard look themselves.

Even though I don't agree with what he did he was only 15 back then getting guidance from so called adults.

But I still don't care,he made it out of Englewood alive!

QFT
pimp.gif

Joka, you're missing my point.
I think you're clearly the one missing the point, AntBanks.

This incident occured while he was in one profession. Now he's in a completely different profession. We're evaluating and discussing the event thatoccurred within his first profession.

Let me break it down for you:
Profession #1 - STUDENT-athlete
Profession #2 - Professional basketball player

Do you know the differences? Or should I expand?

okay TMAY you don't have to break it down any further, I'm not on the yellow bus. And a student-athlete is not a profession, professionals get paid.

Here is something you may want to expand on for your own purposes....as a student-athlete with a damn certain shot at being a professional basketball player,Rose made a decision for himself to increase the likeliness of that opportunity to play ball professionally.

And as the OP, we aren't discussing the alleged event, we are discussing if we care that he did what he had to do to come closer to a dream come true.

okay TMAY you don't have to break it down any further, I'm not on the yellow bus. And a student-athlete is not a profession, professionals get paid.

Here is something you may want to expand on for your own purposes....as a student-athlete with a damn certain shot at being a professional basketball player, Rose made a decision for himself to increase the likeliness of that opportunity to play ball professionally.

And as the OP, we aren't discussing the alleged event, we are discussing if we care that he did what he had to do to come closer to a dream come true.
there is no such thing as a certain shot... you dont know what might have happened, injuries happen. what he did was cheating, and before you knowit everyone will do it, and half of america will be thinking they can make it to the league and have no highschool degree. homeless and unemployment are notfar off. that can even destroy america's economy, by having more homeless and unemployed people out there

As a senior rated in the top 5 of his class after winning two straight state championships, he had as close to a certain shot as anyone else in the country

If you're taking classes full-time (which Rose was), being a student (or student-athlete in Rose's case) certainly can be considered a"profession."

As a senior rated in the top 5 of his class after winning two straight state championships, he had as close to a certain shot as anyone else in the country

so what? if he tears and ACL or has some other type of injury, what would he have left? you're always taking risks, nothing is certain. wasnt there a postrecently about players who shoulda left college earlier? imagine those players but without a highschool diploma, what do you have then? a very bad economy inthe future

what makes him better than any of us to where he should be allowed to get away with this? if i have to take the test and get in then he should too. justbecause he plays ball doesnt mean he should be able to get away with it. if he was not eligible to play then memphis should be stripped of thoseaccomplishments. plain and simple

kids in the US think that school isnt for them so they dont have to go.. they dont even know how lucky they are to get educated.. kids in africa would gladlyswitch places...being a student athlete is not a profession, because it's not a job to go to school. being an athlete is just something that comes as anextra.

i would've loved to be a student athlete in the US, but coming from a different country they dont even have stuff like that, and now kids are complainingand saying highschool isnt for them? no school, no basketball, plain and simple.

TheYoungestGun wrote:

so what? if he tears and ACL or has some other type of injury, what would he have left? you're always taking risks, nothing is certain. wasnt there a post recently about players who shoulda left college earlier? imagine those players but without a highschool diploma, what do you have then? a very bad economy in the future

If "if" was a fifth, we'd all be drunk. He allegedly had a stand-in on SAT, he played major role in Memphis playing in National Championship, wasdrafted #1 and won ROY. Are there any questions on SAT about all that?

[table][tr][td]
off_line.gif
tmay407[/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][-][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Posted: 05/29/09 8:31 PM
[/td] [td]
If you're taking classes full-time (which Rose was), being a student (or student-athlete in Rose's case) certainly can be considered a "profession."
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
on_line.gif
AntBanks81[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][/table]
No it can't, you're requred by the law to be in school at that age. Basketball, or any sport, is an extracurricular. A professional earns a salary,chop it up like you want to.

[table][tr][td]
on_line.gif
TheYoungestGun[/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][-][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Posted: 05/29/09 8:47 PM
[/td] [td]
kids in the US think that school isnt for them so they dont have to go.. they dont even know how lucky they are to get educated.. kids in africa would gladly switch places...being a student athlete is not a profession, because it's not a job to go to school. being an athlete is just something that comes as an extra.
[/td] [/tr][/table]QFT

outkast9984 wrote:
what makes him better than any of us to where he should be allowed to get away with this? if i have to take the test and get in then he should too. just because he plays ball doesnt mean he should be able to get away with it. if he was not eligible to play then Memphis should be stripped of those accomplishments. plain and simple
I didn't say he, or any star prep, is better than any of us. Although he should be considered wiser than most because he found a glitch in thesystem and made it work. He needed to go to college to further his chances at becoming a professional basketball player.

Really, I believe those of us that take risks to advance fare better than those that play everything by the book.

Back
Top Bottom