Why are people so sure Babe Ruth didnt use steroids?

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by THE GR8

man all i gotta say is....

BASEBALL FTL
smh.gif

Rawlings_baseball.jpg
>
ist2_2056780-finger-pointing.jpg

Co-sign.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Really though, weight lifting and baseball cannot be compared and shared under the same microscope when it comes to steroids. Weight lifters obviously thought it more beneficial to what they did than baseball players. And I'm certain that baseball players didn't get exposed, at least mainstream, to the idea of using steroids/PED's until the 70's. Weight lifting and baseball...Completely different.
I know it's apples to oranges, but the fact remains steroids have been a part of competitive sports foralot longer than people are implying. When the usage and advantages of PED's are known and become widespread in one sport, common sense tells me it wouldtake little for it to transcend that sport and, guess what? It becomes widespred in all of athletics in just a short time

M!ke

What I want to know is why the MLB and Selig bludgeon this crap to death. Think of the NFL, you KNOW that steroids had to run rampant behind the scenes in theNFL, yet they have done a much much better job at keeping the issues hush hush while applying much more stringent testing policies.

Instead of records in the NFL falling with a naturalized wonderment of if that player took roids, you get just another historic performance, whereas inbaseball, it's almost assumed before proven that players with all the home run records and such have taken PED's.

The MLB has been very negligent in handling this and letting too much information out. It would be a much more enjoyable sport had they nipped this in the budyears ago and moved on like you know the NFL is doing. It's no mystery that amidst all this steroid mumbo jumbo the NFL has turned into "America'sgame," whereas the once favorite past time of America, baseball, has been dropping further down the ladder with each positive test.

Instead of records in the NFL falling with a naturalized wonderment of if that player took roids, you get just another historic performance, whereas in baseball, it's almost assumed before proven that players with all the home run records and such have taken PED's.

Think about the average career span of the average big name baseball player compared to the NFL? Employee turnover in MLB is a lot slower which is why we stillhave quite a few lingering players from the height of the steroid era still around.

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

laugh.gif
@ yall keep saying he was fat. Having a slower metabolism coulda been a result of whatever he was taking

BabeRuth.jpg

Doesnt look fat here...

looks like a picture from his Boston days...

Originally Posted by nine point five

There is no way of knowing, and I'm going to say I doubt it because if the incurable optimist in me. The earliest I remember ball players saying Steroids/PED's came around was in the 70's, which is when it started to get pushed into pro sports. Can't say anything about earlier generations.
"In 1954, a physician named John Ziegler attended the World Weightlifting Championships in Vienna, Austria, as the team's doctor. The Soviets dominated the competition that year, easily breaking several world records and winning gold medals in legions of weight classes. According to anecdotal reports, Ziegler invited the Soviet´s team doctor to a bar and the doctor told him that that his lifters had used testosterone injections as part of their training programs. Whether that story is true or not, ultimately, the Americans returned from the World Championships that year and immediately began their efforts to defeat the Soviets using pharmaceutical enhancement."

M!ke

1954 America started to discover performance enhancing drugs? For weighlifting.

Babe Ruth had his best seasons right around 1920....anyone that thinks he was on roids is a moron...they were barely discovering vitamins in the 1920's.

thank you... seriously thank you. people are so blind and ignorant that they can't fathom steroids and other drugs WERE used before the 90's. there's no debating it folks, PED's have been around for decades, the Bash Brothers weren't the first to use em in the League... It's really a shame that today's players have to shoulder all the blame because they've been caught. How bout we just assume that 80% of players used (according to some MLB players) and just move on... *wishful thinking*
Check out this stat to see the sign of times...

In 1948, 9 players hit 30 HRs or more, 2 of those hit 40 or more
In 1958, 11 players hit 30 HRs or more, 3 of those hit 40 or more
In 1968, 7 players hit 30 HRs or more, 1 of those hit 40 or more
In 1978, 11 players hit 30 HRs or more, 2 of those hit 40 or more
In 1988, 5 players hit 30 HRs or more, 1 of those hit 40 or more

Now we move to 1998 and the next four years...

In 1998, 33 players hit 30 HRs or more, 13 of those hit 40 or more
In 1999, 44 players hit 30 HRs or more, 13 of those hit 40 or more
In 2000, 46 players hit 30 HRs or more, 16 of those hit 40 or more
In 2001, 40 players hit 30 HRs or more, 12 of those hit 40 or more

Players in this era shoulder more of the blame because they make millions of dollars, they completely blew up the record books, and collectively they all havepretty much denied ever doing anything which has always made everything worse. Drugs have been around for decades and so has cheating. However the cartoonishpower records really started to pop up during this "era"......and with that comes the heat fair or not.

You do have to laugh though....in 1988 only five total players hit 30 HRs in the entire MLB. Ten short years later (1998) that number was up to 33 players.

When Ruth was playing, he was playing against people who were part time mailmen, milkmen, insurance salesman.

Back
Top Bottom