Why Are They Advertising High Fructose Corn Syrup?

Originally Posted by Shapeshiftah

the first time i saw that commercial of the couple having the picnic, i was just
smh.gif
smh.gif

they made that guy look like an idiot with his, "umm, uhhhh, well..." in his response to her question.

if my girl asked me what's so bad about HFCS, i would have been like, "uhhh, it's linked to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, raises blood cholesterol levels.... need i say more?!" then i would have smacked that damn popsicle outta her hand
pimp.gif

all of you saying its poison do you check all your food for stuff like this or are you just upset about the commercials...
actually i do. the ingredients i've been checkin for the most these past three years have been HFCS, trans fats, saturated fat, and sodium content. been on a healthy eating kick these past few years.

What are your habbits? I've been wanting to make a thread about this lately...

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by Shapeshiftah

the first time i saw that commercial of the couple having the picnic, i was just
smh.gif
smh.gif

they made that guy look like an idiot with his, "umm, uhhhh, well..." in his response to her question.

if my girl asked me what's so bad about HFCS, i would have been like, "uhhh, it's linked to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, raises blood cholesterol levels.... need i say more?!" then i would have smacked that damn popsicle outta her hand
pimp.gif

all of you saying its poison do you check all your food for stuff like this or are you just upset about the commercials...
actually i do. the ingredients i've been checkin for the most these past three years have been HFCS, trans fats, saturated fat, and sodium content. been on a healthy eating kick these past few years.

just gradually made some changes to my eating and exercise habits, really. a few years ago, i read that book "eating for life" by billphillips, the guy who founded the body for life program. i don't follow that program, but his philosophy inspired me to incorporate a few basic principlesinto my daily life:

- eat mostly chicken, turkey, and fish while limiting red meat consumption.
- replace white rice with brown rice.
- replace white pasta, with whole wheat pasta.
- replace white bread with whole wheat, multi grain, or other type of bread.
- eat vegetables and fruit with or in between meals.
- don't OD on carbs at dinner and in the evening hours.
- watch out for salt, high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, and saturated fat.
- limit buying frozen or other processed foods.
- limit deep fried foods to a few times a month.
- limit crazy desserts, junk foods and fatty foods to a few times a month.
- almost eliminate fast foods (after a while, i stopped craving mcdonalds, quiznos, etc.)
- drink mostly water and fruit juice occasionally.
- incorporate exercise into my routine; cardio two or three times a week and perfect pushups three times a week. plus i live in NYC, so i stay walking allover the damn place.

i know it looks like a lot of stuff, but i incorporated these practices over the course of a few months, and now it's like a basic part of my routine. mywife and i used to eat out like 3 to 4 days a week, but we cook in a lot more. when you use fresh ingredients to cook your meals, you end up feeling lessbloated, and a lot more energized. plus we realized we saved a lot more money, too.

Shapeshiftah wrote:

Shapeshiftah wrote:
smh.gif
smh.gif

pimp.gif

you end up feeling less bloated, and a lot more energized. plus we realized we saved a lot more money, too.

cosign on what you said,

Ive let my self go this year bad
embarassed.gif
, when I went back to eating junkmy body literally went into shock, I fell like I was going to have a heart attack or something
sick.gif

corn in general is such a bad food.. wasteful in caloric value and also it sucks up so much water. it SHOULD be banned.

instead we export so much for others and have so much grown for non edible purposes... its just terrible to look at those types of stats.

I have to agree with you guys. I spent time in South America and they use cane sugar for everything there and a can of coke tastes DRAMATICALLY different (Iwas addicted to coke there) not only that but Cane Sugar actually has some benefits that are good for you. HFCS is only used because it's slightly cheaper,it's pure toxic.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Shapeshiftah wrote:

Shapeshiftah wrote:
smh.gif
smh.gif

pimp.gif

you end up feeling less bloated, and a lot more energized. plus we realized we saved a lot more money, too.

cosign on what you said,

Ive let my self go this year bad
embarassed.gif
, when I went back to eating junk my body literally went into shock, I fell like I was going to have a heart attack or something
sick.gif

no question bro, every time i have had mcdonalds (my limit is twice a year
laugh.gif
), i feel like basura afterwards. i say to myself, "damn,that's why i gave up that stuff in the first place." i'll eat a brownie chocolate explosion meltdown w/ice cream at one of the chain spots(applebees, tgi fridays, etc.) once a month or so, and i feel like a slob afterwards.

physical and mental detoxing via exercise and healthy eating for the following week FTW
laugh.gif

corn in general is such a bad food.. wasteful in caloric value and also it sucks up so much water. it SHOULD be banned.
you ain't lyin fam.. corn is damn near useless. that's why when ole girl in the commercial says, "....... that it's made fromcorn????" i'm like, "and that's supposed to be a good thing???"

They have to defend themselves. In my opinion the past two and half years consumers have been rejecting High Fructose and other genetically modified foods waymore than before.
I barely have to buy anything with the organic label on it anymore because more companies are dropping the ingredient.
Reading the ingredients label is a growing habit and should continue as such. As soon as you see High Fr... just put that +%!% back down.

Originally Posted by TkTheGirl

They have to defend themselves. In my opinion the past two and half years consumers have been rejecting High Fructose and other genetically modified foods way more than before.
I barely have to buy anything with the organic label on it anymore because more companies are dropping the ingredient.
Reading the ingredients label is a growing habit and should continue as such. As soon as you see High Fr... just put that +%!% back down.
another thing i noticed these days is that a lot of food products will have a label that reads, "contains no high fructose corn syrup." until last year, i ain't realized how many non-beverage food products (english muffins, bread, even welch's strawberry spread) contain the stuff.

i've started to do that too, starting like this fall...if you read the ingredients you realize how bad some things are for you (like potatochips, frozen food, etc.). i still don't have the greatest eating habits but stocking up with "decent" food health-wise is much better than justwrecklessly grabbing whatever you feel like. I can't remember how many times I was gonna buy something but put it back because of the nutrition facts.

Originally Posted by jackiechizzan

i have a question for you though. why bring up the race card when it really isnt necessary?
not that i dont agree, but if you have a problem with the race card being played, you better brace yourself for the next four years.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

instead we export so much for others and have so much grown for non edible purposes... its just terrible to look at those types of stats.
what stats? a lot of grain is used for livestock feed.

we use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar b/c it cost too much to import sugar from abroad

Originally Posted by The R0yal Family

HFCS gave my dad type II diabetes
indifferent.gif
thats a copout. it may have helped contributed to the condition because he didnt take personal responsibility to care for himself, but it didnt"give" him anything.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Wow. You have GOT to be kidding me, whats next, commercials telling the "benefits" of fluoride in water(oh wait..)? I'm disgusted. Anything for a buck.

What's your beef with fluoride in the water?

Originally Posted by jDOTgDOT

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Wow. You have GOT to be kidding me, whats next, commercials telling the "benefits" of fluoride in water(oh wait..)? I'm disgusted. Anything for a
buck.

What's your beef with fluoride in the water?

Wait. Everyone just wait a minute. I need someone to tell me why you think high fructose corn syrup is a poison.

Among other qualifications, I have a PhD in biochemistry. I run a research lab at one of the top 20 hospitals in the nation (U.S. News & WorldReport). I've been in biochemical and medical research for my entire career. I am a health and nutrition FREAK. I absolutely agree that highfructose corn syrup is 100% worthless. It is nothing but an inexpensive commercial replacement for sugar (cane or beet) that provides nothing butnutritionally empty calories. There is nothing nutritionally redeeming about high fructose corn syrup unless you happen to be a few hours away from death bystarvation. But where does the poison aspect enter the discussion? Because I don't know of any meaningful research (i.e. something not from Youtube orrumors spread by word of mouth) that suggests high fructose corn syrup used in every day products is itself poisonous.

Side comment:
I understand being suspicious and believe you should question everything. Truth will sustain questioning whereas rumors wither away. But it makes me ill thatwhile people distrust "the media", they will conversely accept whatever sciency-sounding bit of bullish that their friends heard, or that a communityleader says is true, or that they're forwarded in an email. Did you know margarine is one molecule away from being plastic? Did you know microwaving meatmakes it a carcinogen? Did you know the government has had the cure for AIDS for years? Did you know vaccines cause Autism? There is a subtle differencebetween being discerning and being the very type of accepting fool you wish to avoid being and distrusting everything that comes from a few particular sourcesis just as ignorant as accepting everything that comes from others.

The difficulty is that this makes YOU responsible for finding information and deciding for yourself. And most people would rather be told what to think.

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

Wait. Everyone just wait a minute. I need someone to tell me why you think high fructose corn syrup is a poison.

Among other qualifications, I have a PhD in biochemistry. I run a research lab at one of the top 20 hospitals in the nation (U.S. News & World Report). I've been in biochemical and medical research for my entire career. I am a health and nutrition FREAK. I absolutely agree that high fructose corn syrup is 100% worthless. It is nothing but an inexpensive commercial replacement for sugar (cane or beet) that provides nothing but nutritionally empty calories. There is nothing nutritionally redeeming about high fructose corn syrup unless you happen to be a few hours away from death by starvation. But where does the poison aspect enter the discussion? Because I don't know of any meaningful research (i.e. something not from Youtube or rumors spread by word of mouth) that suggests high fructose corn syrup used in every day products is itself poisonous.

Side comment:
I understand being suspicious and believe you should question everything. Truth will sustain questioning whereas rumors wither away. But it makes me ill that while people distrust "the media", they will conversely accept whatever sciency-sounding bit of bullish that their friends heard, or that a community leader says is true, or that they're forwarded in an email. Did you know margarine is one molecule away from being plastic? Did you know microwaving meat makes it a carcinogen? Did you know the government has had the cure for AIDS for years? Did you know vaccines cause Autism? There is a subtle difference between being discerning and being the very type of accepting fool you wish to avoid being and distrusting everything that comes from a few particular sources is just as ignorant as accepting everything that comes from others.

The difficulty is that this makes YOU responsible for finding information and deciding for yourself. And most people would rather be told what to think.

Your right, the closest thing would be the traces of mercury found in some products that use HFCS. You know, I thinkit would be really interesting if you made a post talking about some of the things you've come across in your research. Least, I'd be interested. Whatare your thoughts on tap water?

Back
Top Bottom