Why be Moral?

Discussion in 'General' started by al audi, Feb 5, 2016.

1. al audi

al audi

I had a lot typed (wall of text literally) out and this might be waaaaaay to vague but I decided to delete it.

Just want to have a discussion, maybe it can develop and ill throw in what I am getting at.

BTW no I dont mean taking a humans life either or hurting someone. It is def money related though. "If you could you would." maybe....

How many of you feelwe live in a Moral World and followed the path we are taught? Probb a dumb question but many at the upper class of things and higher def arent moral.

I want a discussion to develop just a lot ive been thinking about as of late.....

I guess this is Philosophy

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. AZwildcats

AZwildcats

I have no idea what you are saying man :lol:

But I try to follow my life based on the morals taught by my religion, although I'm no saint by any means

3. master zik

master zik

It's a social contract with each other to form a better functioning society. Not all ppl agree to every single clause in it though.

Very few ppl see things as strictly black or white and subscribe to a Kantian approach to morality; if it's wrong you never do it no matter what.

I feel most ppl are egoists (pursuing their own self interest at all times) and fool themselves in to thinking they're something else; utilitarian, altruistic, etc.

I wouldn't say we live in a moral world but most ppl feel we live in a world that ought to be a moral world and that's probably where the disconnect lies. People pretending it's one way when it isn't instead of striving specifically for the goal (that's where some of the "It's 2016…." stuff doesn't apply).

Ppl start following the moral values they are taught but your experiences and how you process it is what really determines if you are moral. Not to mention amorality is also an option not just moral or immoral.

As far as relating this to money and not more serious hypotheticals. A bank robber drops a bag of hundreds, you take it and keep it is that wrong? Can you rationalize it in to being right because of what you will do with the money also keeping in mind the bank is insured? Does it even matter if it's right or wrong?

4. miketysonthekiller

miketysonthekiller

why live?

also, you question kinda falls on the realm of whether or not we have free will...

hmmmm...

5. 6 rings mj

6 rings mj

[​IMG]

6. ginfante

ginfante

Peace of mind > poor morals + money etc

A lot of the rich probably did shady **** to get where they're at though

7. frankmatthews

frankmatthews

If I beat u in basketball, was i immoral? We did agree to compete, right? I'm supposed to try to win. Or are you talking about cheating?

8. dopeness

dopeness

Just have a balance with the universe. Everyone has a place in the universe. If you have to ask why, then it means you're not being true to yourself.

brolic scholar likes this.
  9. sckid20

sckid20

It just feels better.

10. brolic scholar

brolic scholar

"For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but forfeits his own soul?"

My belief: we are not all "the same". The world is run by those that look like us, but aren't us. They never had a soul to sell. When we start trying to act like them, we lose what make us, us. And no this isn't coded racism.

If we all lean the same way, things become unbalanced as they are now. It's difficult to find opposing behavior to what has become the norm now. I'm moral, because it's who I am. Have I done immoral things? Of course, but I've never strayed too far for too long.

11. dcallamerican

dcallamerican

Morality is such a relative thing man.

Am I immoral for selling drugs if I am unable to get a job but I have starving children at home?

Are boxers/mma dudes immoral because the damage done to their opponents can cause long term brain damage? What about football players?

12. Comparison Ford

Comparison Ford

The question itself is entirely too broad, and I can only speak for myself.

I choose to live morally because I have the ability to put myself in the shoes of others.  It's the reason I chose to work in healthcare.  I know I'd want a good, moral person caring for me if I was ill.  I feel obligated to act in a caring, compassionate way to others because I realize that they are no more or less special/important than I am.

The basis of all morality is empathy...and empathy is guided by reason, not faith.  Morality does not hinge upon religiosity/spirituality/belief in a higher power. 

13. master zik

master zik

What about the ppl that do not believe in souls and that other stuff? Are they the ones that "aren't us"?

I'm trying to figure who is the "them" in this "us" viewpoint you have.

14. yeah

yeah

I don't think we live in a world driven by morals. I believe we live in a world driven by interests, and while it is often in one's best interest to act morally, people will invariably act to preserve their interests... regardless of their moral character.

15. gentrification

gentrification

Case by case

16. zapatohead408

zapatohead408

I just try to be cool.

For example at work, I don't have to worry about layoffs because you don't get laid off as an apprentice, unless you're REALLY bad. But I know that when times slow down, brothers will screw each other over to stay working. That's not right and I will NEVER stoop to that level. I will however do my best to stay on. If the other guy does 500ft of pipe, I'm gonna run 600. If he needs a hand, I will help him.

I gotta be the change I wanna see.

andretti and voidemperor like this.
  17. lionblood

lionblood

Morality evolved for the greater good of the species. If murder were ok, that puts my life in danger. Do you know how anxiety provoking that would be?

18. master zik

master zik

I think he's more concerned on why be moral in the micro sense not the macro sense. Not that the two aren't connected.

19. lionblood

lionblood

In the micro-sense it becomes a cost benefit analysis. The cost of losing your freedom vs. what's to be gained by committing crime.

This is too complex a topic because people have different motives for "immorality". But if we're talking simple stuff like stealing, killing, extortion, etc

Yes they are both connected. 

20. htg designs

htg designs

what did you do OP?