Why did they go to such great lengths to try and destroy the black man?

September 22, 2008 Email This is Your Nation on White Privilege

> This is Your Nation on White Privilege
> By Tim Wise (other essays appear here: www.timwise.org
> 9/13/08
>
> For those who still can't grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.
>
> White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because "every family has challenges," even as black and Latino families with similar "challenges" are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.
>
> White privilege is when you can call yourself a "++*@$*' redneck," like Bristol Palin's boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll "kick their ++*@$*' @%*," and talk about how you like to "shoot %#!%" for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.
>
> White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.
>
> White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don't all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S.
> Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you're "untested."
>
> White privilege is being able to say that you support the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance because "if it was good enough for the founding fathers, it's good enough for me," and not be immediately disqualified from holding office--since, after all, the pledge was written in the late 1800s and the "under God" part wasn't added until the 1950s--while if you're black and believe in reading accused criminals and terrorists their rights (because the Constitution, which you used to teach at a prestigious law school, requires it), you are a dangerous and mushy liberal who isn't fit to safeguard American institutions.
>
> White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.
>
> White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto is "Alaska first," and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she's being disrespectful.
>
> White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they do--like, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child labor--and people think you're being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in college and the fact that she lives close to Russia--you're somehow being mean, or even sexist.
>
> White privilege is being able to convince white women who don't even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your running mate anyway, because suddenly your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a "second look."
>
> White privilege is being able to fire people who didn't support your political campaigns and not be accused of abusing your power or being a typical politician who engages in favoritism, while being black and merely knowing some folks from the old-line political machines in Chicago means you must be corrupt.
>
> White privilege is when you can take nearly twenty-four hours to get to a hospital after beginning to leak amniotic fluid, and still be viewed as a great mom whose commitment to her children is unquestionable, and whose "next door neighbor" qualities make her ready to be VP, while if you're a black candidate for president and you let your children be interviewed for a few seconds on TV, you're irresponsibly exploiting them.
>
> White privilege is being able to give a 36 minute speech in which you talk about lipstick and make fun of your opponent, while laying out no substantive policy positions on any issue at all, and still manage to be considered a legitimate candidate, while a black person who gives an hour speech the week before, in which he lays out specific policy proposals on several issues, is still criticized for being too vague about what he would do if elected.
>
> White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who say the conflict in the Middle East is God's punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you're just a good church-going Christian, but if you're black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S.
> Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you're an extremist who probably hates America.
>
> White privilege is not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is when asked by a reporter, and then people get angry at the reporter for asking you such a "trick question," while being black and merely refusing to give one-word answers to the queries of Bill O'Reilly means you're dodging the question, or trying to seem overly intellectual and nuanced.
>
> White privilege is being able to go to a prestigious prep school, then to Yale and then Harvard Business school, and yet, still be seen as just an average guy (George W. Bush) while being black, going to a prestigious prep school, then Occidental College, then Columbia, and then to Harvard Law, makes you "uppity," and a snob who probably looks down on regular folks.
>
> White privilege is being able to graduate near the bottom of your college class (McCain), or graduate with a C average from Yale (W.) and that's OK, and you're cut out to be president, but if you're black and you graduate near the top of your class from Harvard Law, you can't be trusted to make good decisions in office.
>
> White privilege is being able to dump your first wife after she's disfigured in a car crash so you can take up with a multi-millionaire beauty queen (who you go on to call the c-word in public) and still be thought of as a man of strong family values, while if you're black and married for nearly twenty years to the same woman, your family is viewed as un-American and your gestures of affection for each other are called "terrorist fist bumps."
>
> White privilege is when you can develop a pain-killer addiction, having obtained your drug of choice illegally like Cindy McCain, go on to beat that addiction, and everyone praises you for being so strong, while being a black guy who smoked pot a few times in college and never became an addict means people will wonder if perhaps you still get high, and even ask whether or not you ever sold drugs.
>
> White privilege is being able to sing a song about bombing Iran and still be viewed as a sober and rational statesman, with the maturity to be president, while being black and suggesting that the U.S. should speak with other nations, even when we have disagreements with them, makes you "dangerously naive and immature."
>
> White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being black and experiencing racism and an absent father is apparently among the "lesser adversities" faced by other politicians, as Sarah Palin explained in her convention speech.
>
> And finally, white privilege is the only thing that could possibly allow someone to become president when he has voted with George W. Bush 90 percent of the time, even as unemployment is skyrocketing, people are losing their homes, inflation is rising, and the U.S. is increasingly isolated from world opinion, just because a lot of white voters aren't sure about that whole "change" thing. Ya know, it's just too vague and ill-defined, unlike, say, four more years of the same, which is very concrete and certain.
>
> White privilege is, in short, the problem.
>
>
>

See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life. See Now

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com/http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1678 - Release Date: 9/18/2008 9:01 AM

So answer this question for me, since y'all some racism experts n @$%%...

What came first, racism or slavery?

Think about it.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD

Think about it.
Racism, you can't have slavery without racism.
Which is completely wrong . Whites were slaves also .

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

you can't really see white privilege...especially on the receiving end...

If your referring to me... please let me know what privilege I had in my life from being white? Me and my friends all went to the same school, got the same education, got in the same trouble.... applied for the same jobs, got the same jobs, and didn't get the same jobs.

like i said you can't see it...how people percieve you...how they treat you...little stuff you might not notice but people on the outside looking in will...

ask your non-white friends if they ever felt or someone made them feel as i they didn't belong or if they were treated different in some way...

i was reffering to you and everyone else...

Fam, that works both ways. How is that a privilege? There is always going to be racists from EVERY RACE. You don't think I ever went to the club and gotmean looks because I was a white dude who had the baddest girl in the club with me?? I could HEAR dudes saying "what's she doing with that ********?" or just give me mean looks, or whatever. Is that considered "black privilege"? No it's just dudes being "salty".

And yes I'm from KY like that matters. Louisville ain't New York, but it isn't as country as you might think. So give me facts, please. What youare not understanding is I am 1000% FOR black history being taught more. But, I can't help what "the white man" did before I was born. AndI'll stand 100% by the fact I've personally never gotten anything because I was white.

Think about it.

^ not true...slavery was not new before the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade...the fact that it became motivated by race was...before it was whoever lost thewar/battle/whatever became the winners slaves...

Think about it.
Nothing really to think about if you're referring to American history then it's a fact that slavery came first and then racism came aboutafterward as a means to justify the slavery of black people.

* I AM KNOWLEDGE added to my list of fave NT'rs*

i have the knapsack article opened in another tab...
pimp.gif
Ha Ha, appreciate that. You've been one of the more liked NT'rs since the Getting Juked in the club post.

But bona fide conversation, it's not easy for many white people to acknowledge white privlege for a few reasons.

- They really don't think it exist, and they see the progress made in the civil rights movement as the total removement of equality which isn't true.

- They know that once they acknowledge it exist, if they remain stagnant and continue to ignore the issue, they are as guilty as the outright racist.

What are they made at me for? I've never owned any slaves. During the Civil Rights movement, King and other facilitators relayed that it was Immoraland cowardice to participate in ones own oppression.

With this line of thinking, not speaking out against injustice was ethically wrong. And while some may choose not to acknowledge that White Privilege existin America, the facts can't be denied. Some people hold the thinking that if they never owned or sold slaves, or make individual racist actions, that theydo not contribute to the systematic oppression of minorities. Just as the Civil Rights leaders relayed the point that an injustice anywhere is an injusticeeverywhere, how can one get the message across to the masses that not speaking against social injustice that you indirectly benefit from makes you just asguilty as the individual who directly chooses to oppress?

This is a tough question that many people can not answer. But it's definitely something to ponder.

Chris Rock had a recent stand up special called, "Don't Kill The Messenger." And while Chris Rock is no Marcus Garvey, he and others like himoffer interesting social commentary. While speaking, he talked about his neighborhood in New York. He says, I'm a pretty damn good comedian, and Jay-Zlives in my neighborhood, he's considered the best rapper to ever live. And Mary J Blidge lives in my neighborhood, she's considered to be one of thebest R&B singers ever. Do you all want to know what my white neighbor does for a living? He's a damn dentist. So that means if you are black youhave to be the best in the world at what you do to be able to have what white people get for being average. This is White Privilege.

Think about it.
Sure you can. There are dozens of examples of some cultures enslaving their own race over reasons other than race.

Sex, religion, birthrights, age...lots of things.

Originally Posted by Kneesh

Think about it.
Are you talking about indentured slaves? They were set free and given full citizenship in the colonies after completing their contracts. Idon't know any other cases of white slavery
frown.gif

My parents used to be racist towards blacks
tired.gif

I think it was their environment that influenced them to assume such things about certain races. &they were born in the Philippines.

And yes I'm from KY like that matters. Louisville ain't New York, but it isn't as country as you might think. So give me facts, please. What you are not understanding is I am 1000% FOR black history being taught more. But, I can't help what "the white man" did before I was born. And I'll stand 100% by the fact I've personally never gotten anything because I was white.
Brother, you just don't know that you just stuck your foot into a pile of dog feces.

I've lived in KY for 12 years, and I'm about to graduate from the University of Louisville.

The simple fact that we both live in the same area, yet have 2 different perceptions of the place we live is a testament that life isn't as sweet as youmake it out to be.

You say that you've never personally gotten anything because you were White. Are you able to at least admit that people do get things because they areWhite?

Originally Posted by duerr

Think about it.
Sure you can. There are dozens of examples of some cultures enslaving their own race over reasons other than race.

Sex, religion, birthrights, age...lots of things.
True, never thought of that.

Anyway, black history...it would be tight if it got added to the curriculum. Especially during black history month.

Think about it.
Are you talking about indentured slaves? They were set free and given full citizenship in the colonies after completing their contracts. I don't know any other cases of white slavery
frown.gif
Nah . Some blacks were slaves / indentured servants as well as some whites were slaves / indentured slaves .

It had nothing to do with race back then , it was all based on class .

That is until Bacon's Rebellion ...

That changed everything .

Slavery came first , then racism . (Between Blacks &nd Whites that is ...)

I AM KNOWLEDGE- I'm glad your graduating from UofL. In graduated from there in '02. How does that change anything? Do we ride horses and go to thebathroom in an outhouse? How would me being in Louisville change what I've been thru or seen with my own eyes? I never once said life was sweet. It'ssure not a stroll in the park for me bacause I'm white.

And the "white privilege" stuff you pasted is on some chain e-mail BS propaganda. But, I'm sure I'm just saying that because I'm white.So, don't worry about breaking it down for me.

Think about it.
Are you talking about indentured slaves? They were set free and given full citizenship in the colonies after completing their contracts. I don't know any other cases of white slavery
frown.gif
What about slaves from biblical times and during the Greco-Roman era? Surely they were white and enslaved.

Slavery came first.

Then racism was applied to slavery to make it seem somewhat reasonable, like dude said above.

Black History is more important than White History IMO...

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that when one speaks of White Privilege, one isn't assuming that you are a racist, but that you indirectlybenefit from the effects of systematic racism.

People always talk about how they were never the ones who owned slaves, and that their family integrated over and were able to be successful. So if they can doit, so can anyone else.

That's faulty thinking. Yes, the White Race comes from many different nationalities, but imagine how much easier it was for a White immigrant to assimilateinto American Culture, than a Black Person. The Irish had it rough when they first came to the country, yet if they didn't open there mouth it wasn'talways easy to identify them.

Hell, look how long it took for their to be an Irish President compared to how long it took for their to be a Black President. Oh, is that just because Blackpeople never made a conscientious effort to be a part of the political process? Or are there some other underlying issues going on?

Look, these things have to be discussed if there will ever be healing.

We all have moral responsibility and civic duty, it's just unfortunate that many people choose to ignore that.

^ neither is more important...they all contribute to what we have today and should be treated as such...

Back
Top Bottom