Why did they go to such great lengths to try and destroy the black man?

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

Originally Posted by Thugnificence

Originally Posted by CrAzYFLiPxNyC

Originally Posted by Face82

I feel you. I hate when they try to discredit a black man.

I'm off topic but example...

"Tiger woods isn't black.....he's mixed."

"Obama is half white..not 100% black".

Get the $%$ outa here with that. The latest was the headline of a news paper about the super bowl mvp Santonio Holmes.
It read "From drug dealer to Super Bowl MVP".

I was so pissed man. They will never let you just enjoy your moment. They always have to throw some dirt on top. If I was an articulate brother....I could prolly get a lil deeper and word it a lil better for the readers. Other than that..you get what I'm sayin. You copy?
I don't think its fair to neglect another side of a person's heritage if he's not 100% from a specific culture. This can either come from black people or white people, both who have done their own fair share of times.
in this country if you are half or part black, then you are black. not the other race
You understand that that is a concept that racist white people came up with correct? If we've left this behind why can't you? If a man or woman is of mixed race in today's world, they are of mixed race, not the race with the darker pigment.

Good luck trying to get that to pass on NT. My wife is mixed, she SAYS she is mixed. NT would expect her to disown her white side.
laugh.gif

I think about this a lot.

Like, why did/does the government go out of their way to destroy (cause yall know damn well that's the case) an ENTIRE race of human beings? Is it reallyTHAT serious?

I wish I was better at explaining things 'cause I would really get deep in this thread
laugh.gif

It's a double edged sword....The black man was corrupted by the white man but then the mandoesn't fight back. Nobody is forced to sell drugs, kill, etc etc. They might put the gun, drugs, poison in your hand but it's up to you on what youdo. The system i think is winning

Originally Posted by nelly28

im not white or asian. it shouldnt matter what i am or what you are. the fact is if you sit and complain and try to blame others for your failure at life, something is wrong. be a man and do for yourself set your goals and acomplish them. dont pull the race card cause you're a loser thats just pathetic
but see you dont understand what it's like to be black in our society. and i dont fault you for that, you could never understand unless youexperienced it. But im just going to say this, African Americans started off at the very bottom of society. We started off as less than nothing, we were aboutas important as livestock to the white folk. And now we have lifted ourselves as a people up to be respected members of society as a whole. We still have a tonof work to do for those who have yet to achieve what some of us have, but we are making progress. not quick enough for my liking, but progress nonetheless.Maybe if we all had started off as equal then you statement would hold some validity, but we didnt start off equal.

Not to mention that society is slightly geared against african americans in terms of success, in terms of primary education & in terms of secondaryeducation. Inner city schools are some of the worst run & worst funded in the country, then you could look at the incarceration rate. I dont care whatanybody says when the majority of the prison population is a minority of the nation's overall population then there is a systematic failure in the justicesystem. There is no way that should be happening the way it is now.

Also about the race card part, i do agree that occasionally people do pull the race card unnecessarily. But what you are failing to see is that alot of issuesin this country are racially motivated, whether people choose to admit it or not. But people have had the race card pulled so much that it instantly becomes ajoke when somebody pulls it now. Even if they have a legitimate reason for bringing race into the equation.

sorry for the long response.

Originally Posted by JimHalpert

Originally Posted by early90s

here we go again

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you AREN'T black.
I'll 1+ you and say u need to shut the $%%% up because I am.

But these threads usually don't end well.....

people like you are the reason these dont end well.

You're the one talking. First trying to tell me I'm not black. One thing I know is that I'm not a self-righteous idiot like you who can only think/speak of one race and never
shuts the hell up about it. All you do is $+%*+ and moan about history and past occurrences as if anything ever happened to you. Either your really old or you need to find
somewhere else to live because I doubt you really have anything real to talk about. Fake %%$ dude.

Your an idiot to think that you make a thread about a topic like there aren't other groups and races out there who have gone through rough times in there cultural history. You don't see any other groups of people on NT *****ing about the past like a little baby, what makes you so different. Cus you can sit there an type on a keyboard about how proactive you are?, sike. And most others would jump on the "Hey I'm black and I don't want to look like I don't support my people on an internet forum" bandwagon and tell me I'm wrong which must make your day. You just need to stop b*#@ing about the past and look to the future. I'm not saying that we should forget about the past but I get tired of seeing threads like this every week if not every other day you %@+@!@! clown. Quit living in the past which you weren't even a part of.

And thugnif-whatever, whack %%$ dude. Everyone on this board knows what it's like to be black in today's society. Like you b*&!@in is gonna help. Think about how much worse it was in the past and ask yourself if it's really even worth complaining about. Dudes back then had it way worse then and we have more freedom than ever and it's just not up to your standards. Get over yourself and you think u some kind of thug. Acting like some hoodlum instead of a grown %%$ man only perpetuates to the rest of society that the African American community as a whole is just a bunch trouble-making idiots. That is exactly why I basically have never carried myself in such a way as to not get labeled with some stereotype. And if you do carry yourself in such a fashion outside of this board then that just makes you a whack %%$ E-thug.

PREACH!!

the blackman pretty much destroys himself. its like why complain about the white man keeping you down>? there is no more excuses to blame others as a black man in today's day. that time is over

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's original post. And honestly your whole entire point is flawed.

Get the $%$ outa here with that. The latest was the headline of a news paper about the super bowl mvp Santonio Holmes.

I was so pissed man. They will never let you just enjoy your moment. They always have to throw some dirt on top. If I was an articulate brother....I could prolly get a lil deeper and word it a lil better for the readers. Other than that..you get what I'm sayin. You copy?
I don't think its fair to neglect another side of a person's heritage if he's not 100% from a specific culture. This can either come from black people or white people, both who have done their own fair share of times.

Originally Posted by Mac A Roni

It's a double edged sword....The black man was corrupted by the white man but then the man doesn't fight back. Nobody is forced to sell drugs, kill, etc etc. They might put the gun, drugs, poison in your hand but it's up to you on what you do. The system i think is winning

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

in this country if you are half or part black, then you are black. not the other race
You understand that that is a concept that racist white people came up with correct? If we've left this behind why can't you? If a man or woman is of mixed race in today's world, they are of mixed race, not the race with the darker pigment.

Good luck trying to get that to pass on NT. My wife is mixed, she SAYS she is mixed. NT would expect her to disown her white side.
laugh.gif
there are smart people on NT
and then there are people who are reaching (and IMO they are the real racists)

im not white or asian. it shouldnt matter what i am or what you are. the fact is if you sit and complain and try to blame others for your failure at life, something is wrong. be a man and do for yourself set your goals and acomplish them. dont pull the race card cause you're a loser thats just pathetic
but see you dont understand what it's like to be black in our society. and i dont fault you for that, you could never understand unless you experienced it. But im just going to say this, African Americans started off at the very bottom of society. We started off as less than nothing, we were about as important as livestock to the white folk. And now we have lifted ourselves as a people up to be respected members of society as a whole. We still have a ton of work to do for those who have yet to achieve what some of us have, but we are making progress. not quick enough for my liking, but progress nonetheless. Maybe if we all had started off as equal then you statement would hold some validity, but we didnt start off equal.

Not to mention that society is slightly geared against african americans in terms of success, in terms of primary education & in terms of secondary education. Inner city schools are some of the worst run & worst funded in the country, then you could look at the incarceration rate. I dont care what anybody says when the majority of the prison population is a minority of the nation's overall population then there is a systematic failure in the justice system. There is no way that should be happening the way it is now.

Also about the race card part, i do agree that occasionally people do pull the race card unnecessarily. But what you are failing to see is that alot of issues in this country are racially motivated, whether people choose to admit it or not. But people have had the race card pulled so much that it instantly becomes a joke when somebody pulls it now. Even if they have a legitimate reason for bringing race into the equation.

Originally Posted by manposite

here we go again

You're the one talking. First trying to tell me I'm not black. One thing I know is that I'm not a self-righteous idiot like you who can only think/speak of one race and never
shuts the hell up about it. All you do is $+%*+ and moan about history and past occurrences as if anything ever happened to you. Either your really old or you need to find
somewhere else to live because I doubt you really have anything real to talk about. Fake %%$ dude.

Your an idiot to think that you make a thread about a topic like there aren't other groups and races out there who have gone through rough times in there cultural history. You don't see any other groups of people on NT *****ing about the past like a little baby, what makes you so different. Cus you can sit there an type on a keyboard about how proactive you are?, sike. And most others would jump on the "Hey I'm black and I don't want to look like I don't support my people on an internet forum" bandwagon and tell me I'm wrong which must make your day. You just need to stop b*#@ing about the past and look to the future. I'm not saying that we should forget about the past but I get tired of seeing threads like this every week if not every other day you %@+@!@! clown. Quit living in the past which you weren't even a part of.

And thugnif-whatever, whack %%$ dude. Everyone on this board knows what it's like to be black in today's society. Like you b*&!@in is gonna help. Think about how much worse it was in the past and ask yourself if it's really even worth complaining about. Dudes back then had it way worse then and we have more freedom than ever and it's just not up to your standards. Get over yourself and you think u some kind of thug. Acting like some hoodlum instead of a grown %%$ man only perpetuates to the rest of society that the African American community as a whole is just a bunch trouble-making idiots. That is exactly why I basically have never carried myself in such a way as to not get labeled with some stereotype. And if you do carry yourself in such a fashion outside of this board then that just makes you a whack %%$ E-thug.

PREACH!!

why do you assume that b/c he's on a message board talking about it he isn't being proactive?

Originally Posted by manposite

here we go again

PREACH!!

how exactly are you helping any situation by writing two paragraphs of garbage
indifferent.gif

1st of all. ima resist the urge to lower myself to your level, which seems to be resorting to personal insults when you have nothing legitimate tosay. Since i dont give any legitimacy to anything you said because of the way you started it. Im just going to respond to the personal insults & correctyou in terms of my life.

1. Nobody is *****ing about the way African-Americans are treated. I am stating the fact that you cant understand what it's like to be black, unless youhave experienced it 1st hand.

2. What standards of mine are you speaking of? I dont remember specifying to you the standards i have for myself & African Americans as a whole.

3. What makes you think i am a self-proclaimed thug? My NT screenname, well if you base your assumptions of my personality, then i dont know what to tell youabout that one. But just to let you know i graduated my high school with Honors, & am currently a freshman at the University of Miami. I made thedean's list my first semester & was just asked to join the General Honors Progam for my school. i really dont think that i would be considered a thugby anybody but yourself.

4. You dont know me on this board & you dont know me off this board. So i'd appreciate if you didnt make assumptions about me based off of the 1 postof mine that you saw in this thread.

5. You claim that i am an E-thug, refer to #3

I just wish we could get past this... YES Black history needs to be EQUAL to white history in schools. But, to me they don't need to be separated, theyneed to be combined as 1 ...AMERICAN HISTORY. White people now can't help what some white people did 500, 200, 100, or 50 years ago. So, why did they gothru such lengths to keep the history out?? Good question, when you find out let me know. My guess is that they were just flat out ignorant...... Unlike mostof us in 2009.

I'm white, so your right I don't know the black side of things. But all my friends growing up (and now) were black, my wife is mixed, and I had exactlyZERO extra chances to succeed as them. What people fail to understand is in this day and age, it's not about black or white, it's about rich and poor.

Have you all ever wondered why many people try to disassociate Egypt from the continent of Africa, and try to attach it to the middle east? It's becausethe Ancient Egyptians are responsible for the majority of contemporary Western Ideals. Not only that, but inventions as well. As we all should know theEgyptians were Black. Not black as we've come to define the word Black, but they were black.

This is where the puzzle/problem begins. The Black Man is the original man. People know that, and people fear that. Therefore, the "man" (DominantSystem) has done everything in his power to make people believe that the Black Man is less civilized than others.

The fact that the white man was able to dominate other cultures was not a matter of intellect, but a matter of geographical location. This made it possiblefor them to require Guns and Steel.

The Europeans could not survive without exploiting other people, and today that pattern continues because the White Men who dominate can not continue with hisstandard of living without continuing to exploit others. And a part of the other group is Black Men.

Due to the accumulation of wealth, and the Monopoly on the means of production, many people forget that The White man is the true minority in the world. Yet,they know and acknowledge this. And this is why as soon as anyone attempts to rise up, they will get knocked down.

If you look at the world as a whole and remove the concept of Nation States, the structure is a lot similar to how things were in South Africa before the fallof Apartheid.

A small minority, ruling the majority with the main factor of this structure being race.

There are more reasons why the Black Man gets the blunt end of the stick, but I won't go there because most people on NT can't handle that, and wouldrefuse to even be open minded.

And if any of you knuckle heads feel as if I'm making this all up go and do some research on COINTELPRO. I dare you!

Peace

but see you dont understand what it's like to be black in our society. and i dont fault you for that, you could never understand unless you experienced it. But im just going to say this, African Americans started off at the very bottom of society. We started off as less than nothing, we were about as important as livestock to the white folk. And now we have lifted ourselves as a people up to be respected members of society as a whole. We still have a ton of work to do for those who have yet to achieve what some of us have, but we are making progress. not quick enough for my liking, but progress nonetheless. Maybe if we all had started off as equal then you statement would hold some validity, but we didnt start off equal.

Not to mention that society is slightly geared against african americans in terms of success, in terms of primary education & in terms of secondary education. Inner city schools are some of the worst run & worst funded in the country, then you could look at the incarceration rate. I dont care what anybody says when the majority of the prison population is a minority of the nation's overall population then there is a systematic failure in the justice system. There is no way that should be happening the way it is now.

Also about the race card part, i do agree that occasionally people do pull the race card unnecessarily. But what you are failing to see is that alot of issues in this country are racially motivated, whether people choose to admit it or not. But people have had the race card pulled so much that it instantly becomes a joke when somebody pulls it now. Even if they have a legitimate reason for bringing race into the equation.

Thats everything i wanted to say..... Excellent

if people dont understand that, then their is no hope..

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

you can't really see white privilege...especially on the receiving end...

If your referring to me... please let me know what privilege I had in my life from being white? Me and my friends all went to the same school, got the sameeducation, got in the same trouble.... applied for the same jobs, got the same jobs, and didn't get the same jobs.

Originally Posted by Uptown Roamer

I think about this a lot.

Like, why did/does the government go out of their way to destroy (cause yall know damn well that's the case) an ENTIRE race of human beings? Is it really THAT serious?

I wish I was better at explaining things 'cause I would really get deep in this thread
laugh.gif

Racism. White ppl back then didn't even consider blacks as "human beings".

Since slavery to probably even now, whites still view themselves as superior to other races.

ALSO, blacks aren't even being held back today. There's nobody holding themselves back cept themselves.

If your referring to me... please let me know what privilege I had in my life from being white? Me and my friends all went to the same school, got the same education, got in the same trouble.... applied for the same jobs, got the same jobs, and didn't get the same jobs.
You're viewing the world through Rose Colored Sunglasses. And you live in KY too?

If you're really open to understanding what White Privilege consist of, I'll school you. But if I give you facts, and you still deny it, there'sno point of me even breaking it down for you my man.

If your referring to me... please let me know what privilege I had in my life from being white? Me and my friends all went to the same school, got the same education, got in the same trouble.... applied for the same jobs, got the same jobs, and didn't get the same jobs.

like i said you can't see it...how people percieve you...how they treat you...little stuff you might not notice but people on the outside looking inwill...

ask your non-white friends if they ever felt or someone made them feel as i they didn't belong or if they were treated different in some way...

i was reffering to you and everyone else...

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

You're viewing the world through Rose Colored Sunglasses. And you live in KY too?

If you're really open to understanding what White Privilege consist of, I'll school you. But if I give you facts, and you still deny it, there's no point of me even breaking it down for you my man.
could you b reak it down for me also. i know what white privilege is, but i cant actually explain is truly.

I'm going to post a few documents, they are lengthy. But after I post them, we can discuss the material. Some definite real talk.

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack
"I was taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group"

Peggy McIntosh

Through work to bring materials from women's studies into the rest of the curriculum, I have often noticed men's unwillingness to grant that they are overprivileged, even though they may grant that women are disadvantaged. They may say they will work to women's statues, in the society, the university, or the curriculum, but they can't or won't support the idea of lessening men's. Denials that amount to taboos surround the subject of advantages that men gain from women's disadvantages. These denials protect male privilege from being fully acknowledged, lessened, or ended.

Thinking through unacknowledged male privilege as a phenomenon, I realized that, since hierarchies in our society are interlocking, there are most likely a phenomenon, I realized that, since hierarchies in our society are interlocking, there was most likely a phenomenon of while privilege that was similarly denied and protected. As a white person, I realized I had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage.

I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege. So I have begun in an untutored way to ask what it is like to have white privilege. I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was "meant" to remain oblivious. White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools , and blank checks.

Describing white privilege makes one newly accountable. As we in women's studies work to reveal male privilege and ask men to give up some of their power, so one who writes about having white privilege must ask, "having described it, what will I do to lessen or end it?"

After I realized the extent to which men work from a base of unacknowledged privilege, I understood that much of their oppressiveness was unconscious. Then I remembered the frequent charges from women of color that white women whom they encounter are oppressive. I began to understand why we are just seen as oppressive, even when we don't see ourselves that way. I began to count the ways in which I enjoy unearned skin privilege and have been conditioned into oblivion about its existence.

My schooling gave me no training in seeing myself as an oppressor, as an unfairly advantaged person, or as a participant in a damaged culture. I was taught to see myself as an individual whose moral state depended on her individual moral will. My schooling followed the pattern my colleague Elizabeth Minnich has pointed out: whites are taught to think of their lives as morally neutral, normative, and average, and also ideal, so that when we work to benefit others, this is seen as work that will allow "them" to be more like "us."

Return to the top of the page

http://Daily effects of white privilege

I decided to try to work on myself at least by identifying some of the daily effects of white privilege in my life. I have chosen those conditions that I think in my case attach somewhat more to skin-color privilege than to class, religion, ethnic status, or geographic location, though of course all these other factors are intricately intertwined. As far as I can tell, my African American coworkers, friends, and acquaintances with whom I come into daily or frequent contact in this particular time, place and time of work cannot count on most of these conditions.

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.

12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.

25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.

28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.

29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.

30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.

31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.

32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.

33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.

34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.

36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.

37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.

38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.

39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.

40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.

42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.

43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.

44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.

45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.

46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.

47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.

48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.

49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.

50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.

http://Elusive and fugitive

I repeatedly forgot each of the realizations on this list until I wrote it down. For me white privilege has turned out to be an elusive and fugitive subject. The pressure to avoid it is great, for in facing it I must give up the myth of meritocracy. If these things are true, this is not such a free country; one's life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own.

In unpacking this invisible knapsack of white privilege, I have listed conditions of daily experience that I once took for granted. Nor did I think of any of these perquisites as bad for the holder. I now think that we need a more finely differentiated taxonomy of privilege, for some of these varieties are only what one would want for everyone in a just society, and others give license to be ignorant, oblivious, arrogant, and destructive.

I see a pattern running through the matrix of white privilege, a patter of assumptions that were passed on to me as a white person. There was one main piece of cultural turf; it was my own turn, and I was among those who could control the turf. My skin color was an asset for any move I was educated to want to make. I could think of myself as belonging in major ways and of making social systems work for me. I could freely disparage, fear, neglect, or be oblivious to anything outside of the dominant cultural forms. Being of the main culture, I could also criticize it fairly freely.

In proportion as my racial group was being made confident, comfortable, and oblivious, other groups were likely being made unconfident, uncomfortable, and alienated. Whiteness protected me from many kinds of hostility, distress, and violence, which I was being subtly trained to visit, in turn, upon people of color.

For this reason, the word "privilege" now seems to me misleading. We usually think of privilege as being a favored state, whether earned or conferred by birth or luck. Yet some of the conditions I have described here work systematically to over empower certain groups. Such privilege simply confers dominance because of one's race or sex.

http://Earned strength, unearned power

I want, then, to distinguish between earned strength and unearned power conferred privilege can look like strength when it is in fact permission to escape or to dominate. But not all of the privileges on my list are inevitably damaging. Some, like the expectation that neighbors will be decent to you, or that your race will not count against you in court, should be the norm in a just society. Others, like the privilege to ignore less powerful people, distort the humanity of the holders as well as the ignored groups.

We might at least start by distinguishing between positive advantages, which we can work to spread, and negative types of advantage, which unless rejected will always reinforce our present hierarchies. For example, the feeling that one belongs within the human circle, as Native Americans say, should not be seen as privilege for a few. Ideally it is an unearned entitlement. At present, since only a few have it, it is an unearned advantage for them. This paper results from a process of coming to see that some of the power that I originally say as attendant on being a human being in the United States consisted in unearned advantage and conferred dominance.

I have met very few men who truly distressed about systemic, unearned male advantage and conferred dominance. And so one question for me and others like me is whether we will be like them, or whether we will get truly distressed, even outraged, about unearned race advantage and conferred dominance, and, if so, what we will do to lessen them. In any case, we need to do more work in identifying how they actually affect our daily lives. Many, perhaps most, of our white students in the United States think that racism doesn't affect them because they are not people of color; they do not see "whiteness" as a racial identity. In addition, since race and sex are not the only advantaging systems at work, we need similarly to examine the daily experience of having age advantage, or ethnic advantage, or physical ability, or advantage related to nationality, religion, or sexual orientation.

Difficulties and angers surrounding the task of finding parallels are many. Since racism, sexism, and heterosexism are not the same, the advantages associated with them should not be seen as the same. In addition, it is hard to disentangle aspects of unearned advantage that rest more on social class, economic class, race, religion, sex, and ethnic identity that on other factors. Still, all of the oppressions are interlocking, as the members of the Combahee River Collective pointed out in their "Black Feminist Statement" of 1977.

One factor seems clear about all of the interlocking oppressions. They take both active forms, which we can see, and embedded forms, which as a member of the dominant groups one is taught not to see. In my class and place, I did not see myself as a racist because I was taught to recognize racism only in individual acts of meanness by members of my group, never in invisible systems conferring unsought racial dominance on my group from birth.

Disapproving of the system won't be enough to change them. I was taught to think that racism could end if white individuals changed their attitude. But a "white" skin in the United States opens many doors for whites whether or not we approve of the way dominance has been conferred on us. Individual acts can palliate but cannot end, these problems.

To redesign social systems we need first to acknowledge their colossal unseen dimensions. The silences and denials surrounding privilege are the key political surrounding privilege are the key political tool here. They keep the thinking about equality or equity incomplete, protecting unearned advantage and conferred dominance by making these subject taboo. Most talk by whites about equal opportunity seems to me now to be about equal opportunity to try to get into a position of dominance while denying that systems of dominance exist.

It seems to me that obliviousness about white advantage, like obliviousness about male advantage, is kept strongly inculturated in the United States so as to maintain the myth of meritocracy, the myth that democratic choice is equally available to all. Keeping most people unaware that freedom of confident action is there for just a small number of people props up those in power and serves to keep power in the hands of the same groups that have most of it already.

Although systemic change takes many decades, there are pressing questions for me and, I imagine, for some others like me if we raise our daily consciousness on the perquisites of being light-skinned. What will we do with such knowledge? As we know from watching men, it is an open question whether we will choose to use unearned advantage, and whether we will use any of our arbitrarily awarded power to try to reconstruct power systems on a broader base.

Peggy McIntosh is associate director of the Wellesley Collage Center for Research on Women. This essay is excerpted from Working Paper 189. "White Privilege and Male Privilege: A Personal Account of Coming To See Correspondences through Work in Women's Studies" (1988), by Peggy McIntosh; available for $4.00 from the Wellesley College Center for Research on Women, Wellesley MA 02181 The working paper contains a longer list of privileges.

This excerpted essay is reprinted from the Winter 1990 issue of Independent School.

http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~mcisaac/emc598ge/Unpacking.html#top

* I AM KNOWLEDGE added to my list of fave NT'rs*

i have the knapsack article opened in another tab...
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom