Why do movie studios still green light M.Night movies? After Earth 13% RottenTomatoes

I don't know, the Matrix is all about that tone, change it and the whole film would just not be the same. I am trying to imagine Wills acting in I Am Legend and placing it in place of Keanu and it just doesn't work, not really sure more emotion is needed. I'm just not convinced Will fits in the concept of the Matrix trilogy.
I Am Legend wouldn't be the movie that would come to mind imo. Probably more so I, Robot or the middle part where he's all confused and lost in Enemy of the State before Hackman schools him to what's going on. I feel just trying to plug Will in to Keanu's portrayal of Neo is the wrong way to go about it. I mean he'd be dumbing down if that's the case but if it's just Will Smith the actor as general description of Neo, I'm sure he could fit in to the concept of the Matrix trilogy.

But like I said Will doing it would've made the movie different tone wise than the one we got and I'm not about to get in to speculating whether that would've produced equal or better success but going off his track record and just the general concept of the movie I'm pretty sure the Matrix would've still been highly well regarded had he been Neo.

To be clear though, I don't really think Keanu did anything amazing as Neo. Like it wasn't him that made that movie, he just fit well with what they had the main character do. The movie's premise and action is what sold it. Another actor and the director/writer's would've adjusted. Will's unproven so it's up in the air since all he's shown is potential but damn near any other prominent actor during that time probably would've done a better job.

I get what you are saying but I actually liked the first Matrix film, I liked it a lot and I can't imagine it being better with a different tone, unless it becomes darker and I just do not see that being the case with Will. I think he is just too charismatic for the role, he was very likable in I, Robot (was just watching it last week) and Enemy of the State (was just watching it earlier today), not that it is bad, it just isn't fit for Neo.

I agree that Keanu wasn't amazing by any stretch in the Matrix but he really just fit in with that world. Will is also very energetic, he just has that look, similar to the Rock, where they look like they have to be moving all the time. Keanu has that somber, kind of laid back personality and he doesn't even have to act to get that look.

Movie would have been a success if the tone was different with Wills acting and delivery but I am just not sure I would have liked the film the same way. I wouldn't say the Matrix is a perfect film but there isn't much I would change on it. Keep in mind I am just talking about the first film, there are plenty I would change in the 2 sequels.

Will Smith is the worst actor 
laugh.gif

He is up there with Vin Diesel and Mark wahlberg

No. Will Smith is a great actor, one of the best

Hmm...he needs to pick different roles. All these films are too similar. I don't see the hype behind him as an actor either.

Unbreakable was one of the best movies I saw in my life ...but all his other movies were crappy. I'm going for special effects and plot twist. They're his hook, I bet this movie will be good. 

No white people in it with leading roles which is why the critics are slamming it....
eyes.gif
, no ******g way "The Happening" is scoring higher than After Earth, no ******g way.
Possible candidate for shortest hiatus of all time.

Didn't eem know he directed that movie.

Was iffy before. Now I'm sure I won't be catching this.

Enemy of The State is his best movie.

Independence Day is awful...go back and watch it.

They need to let him finish the last air bender. I don't care if it goes straight to dvd or straight to Netflix. At the end of the day it's a kids movie and my kids found it entertaining as heck.

Unbreakable was one of the best movies I saw in my life ...but all his other movies were crappy. I'm going for special effects and plot twist. They're his hook, I bet this movie will be good. 

No white people in it with leading roles which is why the critics are slamming it....
eyes.gif

, no ******g way "The Happening" is scoring higher than After Earth, no ******g way.
Possible candidate for shortest hiatus of all time.
I think he made that post before that other thread, to be fair.

Last edited:
Will Smith is the worst actor 
laugh.gif

He is up there with Vin Diesel and Mark wahlberg

I want you to watch the episode of fresh prince where his father comes back into his life only to leave again and then make that statement. Very powerful acting at the end from will.

Will smith also said he had interest in doing a biopic of barrack Obama once his presidency is over. Hmmmmmmmmmm....

i think Will Smith is a decent actor but his roles do come off as a bit stale...he's still a huge draw though

this flopped b/c his kid stars in it...jaden and willow are shoved down people's throats like that whip my hair garbage, and jaden being Beibers friend in the media...

when i was growing up, Will seemed cool as ****, how did he end up with such weird *** children?

i think Will Smith is a decent actor but his roles do come off as a bit stale...he's still a huge draw though

this flopped b/c his kid stars in it...jaden and willow are shoved down people's throats like that whip my hair garbage, and jaden being Beibers friend in the media...

when i was growing up, Will seemed cool as ****, how did he end up with such weird *** children?
Didn't grow up like normal people. Pops was Will Smith...
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom