Why do you believe that there is a god?

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

So now those societies are traditionally atheist? Thats another false statement...go hit your MCAT books sucker...you can't define me.

LOL maybe poor choice of words, but "religiously progressive" or nations with a high percentage of atheists and agnostics-you get the point

Originally Posted by OnTheNephs

1. So why are there Woman and Man. Basically you shutdown the idea of all things on earth, by some being tri-gender. What about humans which is essentially what this topic is about. That vid didnt explain anything to me nor did answer anything i said.
2. Matter of fact all it did was reinforce the idea that an original blueprint of Humans was there. It describes that as time goes on original things get differences due to genetic make up of the previous generation. I do not see much difference, ill rephrase ANY difference in humans since the first finding of a human. 

3. Some one earlier posted this picture that said if the human body was so amazing it wouldnt have all these issues, then it went to  name a few things. That picture is faulted because its description is like the human brain can not handle moving at high speeds and being thrown around in a car.. Cars were not around when humans first appeared so granted we wouldn't have that "GENE" in our brain yet why have we not produced it? Why are modern humans not more solidly built with extra padding in the skull to provide safety for us considering we have adapted to a certain way of life.

4. This is what i said in my first post in this thread, you choose to look at yourself in 2011 and believe that humans have rightfully overcame something, the belief in religion, and that you must be correct. That is arrogance considering the history of humans and great achievements by generations that came waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before us.

MAN AND WOMAN homie.. Come on do you guys not see what it means to have 2 identical humans yet they are different. That doesnt trip you out? it doesnt make you think? beyond what a dam scientist can explain????
1. addressed already.

2. LOL that's how evolution works. The things we see in simple animals have been passed down to us as they have evolved into us. That's why you see basic forms of a nervous system in C. elegans.

Differences in humans since the first human was found QUE LOL? Why would there be dramatic differences in one species? Although we do see difference. What color is your skin compared to an Asian, Black, or white person? The +*%+ sapiens, "humans" have only been around for a very little time.  But, seriously............. Look at the entire +*%+ genus and look at the Hominidae family.

floreslineage.jpg
image.jpg

Hominidae.PNG
350px-Mans_Place_in_Nature_Huxley.jpg

3. You have no understanding of how genes work. Just quickly, (this is not the only reason by far) natural selection isn't really happening because human are making the technology to let the "weak" survive. If hitting your head in a car was really a determining factor to our species survival, which it's not, then we would over thousands of year probably have thicker skulls. We as a species have evolved the car into having seat belts and airbags.

4. I just explained that in my last post.... C'mon son read a book.

So now those societies are traditionally atheist? Thats another false statement...go hit your MCAT books sucker...you can't define me.
Seriously look at you ride Western European society, it's disgusting you view your own self and culture as inferior...!$@% outta here
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Are you kidding me, I have ego/supremacy issues there's NOTHING inferior about me
laugh.gif
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Just cause someone doesn't agree with another person's ideas of blackness doesn't mean he thinks European society is superior-I am openly proud of my heritage on NT, stop it
laugh.gif

There are idiots on NT who think believing in evolution and reading books not written by Farrakhan makes you less black
laugh.gif

Yeah your 'openly proud' alright
roll.gif

Didn't you hear about what happened in Norway? There is nothing about those nations that are any less violent than the rest of the world....that goes to show you how you value Western European standards and values when you consider them better when they stole everything they have. 

Don't even try and flip it like that son...I don't reinforce those stereotypes at all....the sad thing is you just did in a lame attempt to be satirical. 

|

V

Originally Posted by vegaBOXEDshoes

On TheNephs.

Well put sir.

I have this conversation a lot with people on other thread and I'll probably be adding to this one.

Props to the OP for making it
Not well put, not well put at all. Shows lack of knowledge actually.

roll.gif

Gay jokes, I rest my case
roll.gif
roll.gif

Oh snap, he reads books about biochemistry and the cosmos-he aint black, do some negro ##$% dunk a basketball man

He is a social liberal who believes gay people should be given equal rights in marriage, that aint black son-go find 8 fat women to impregnate and abandon your kids, you know masculine sh^^$

He thinks Christianity was forced on the Ibo people and if anything Ibos should be worshipping the Gods that are considered Satanist today-That aint black mang, you aint black
grin.gif

ohwell.gif
grin.gif

^^^^^And right there my friends are "religious values"
happy.gif

roll.gif

Didn't you hear about what happened in Norway? There is nothing about those nations that are any less violent than the rest of the world....that goes to show you how you value Western European standards and values when you consider them better when they stole everything they have. 

Don't even try and flip it like that son...I don't reinforce those stereotypes at all....the sad thing is you just did in a lame attempt to be satirical. 

|

V
You right doggie, crime rates and murder rates are the same across all societies
eek.gif
How have I never thought of this? You truly are an expert on sociopolitical topics

Suggest me some books to read so I can be less tolerant of gays
wink.gif

SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE
eek.gif

headache.jpg

Originally Posted by PleasurePhD

Originally Posted by sillyputty

EVERYTHING IS IN PAIRS. WHY?
Why do all things living in this earth reproduce? Why is it Man, and Woman. Why is there an idea of reproduction. Even if the existence of humans is by "Chance", how are we humans?.�

Great you have established that its a big bang theory and somehow magically the stars fell into orbit and we were luckily given �earth, which then luckily produced some sort of organism, which then produced an identical organism, yet with different organs that allowed it to be a pair so that it can reproduce...

I believe in Mans knowledge and will to advance, but I think this idea of not believing is very limiting.�
Not always true. Some species have a three or more genders.
Also, the big bang doesn't say "magic" happened. Its only a theory that asserts that since cosmic entities are rapidly moving apart that they more than likely originated from a singular entity.�

You are asserting things because you THINK that is what is true. If that is the case, back up your thoughts with evidence and proof of your statements. If not, then you have no reason to assert what you're saying other than because you just want to.

Here is a short clip that hopefully can explain some of the things you may not understand about evolution.�

So Sillyputty had a good argument that there are some species with multiple genders. And, to add to that there are many species that have one or no gender. Many living organisms reproduce asexually. You see that in the higher more complex organisms (even though some can still reproduce asexually) they reproduce by sexual means, male and female.

This is because evolution has shown that sexual reproductions allows for an increased amount of genetic variation and therefore increases the speed of evolution and the genetic variety. For example in !+$* sapiens we see a large variety of genetic differences we just call them races. In the overall genomic content it isn't too much of a difference and this is why we are of the same species still, and able to reproduce, but there is a large enough difference that you see dramatic physical and gene expression difference. e.g Black and white. Ever wonder why we see such a variety of different species in one genus? Look at all the different kinds of fish for example. You even see in some species that are less complex all of them look pretty much the same, even non-human primates. But, in human we see a large variety.

Having a large variety of genetic difference also allows us to survive better. On an individual basis as well as the entire species. If we were all genetically exactly the same then one disease could wipe out the entire species. Look up bananas or Tasmanian devils for examples of this. Sexual reproduction with partners who are genetically different  is so great, it is even need. This is why when you have incest the children can come out with genetic diseases and problems.

To discuss the evolution of this, we even see basic forms of "sexual reproduction" in the simplest of organisms. More of genetic exchanging, but still it's a basic form. In E. coli for example they have the genetic ability to produce a pilus which is used in bacterial conjugation (think of conjugal visits). This pilus acts as a well, rudimentary penis passing DNA in the form of plasmids to other "partners". Not all E. coli have this capability. Some forms have evolved to be able to form a pilus.

Evolution of this very basic form into sexual reproduction has made animals today different sexes. It makes sense even logically when you don't take into consideration the genetic and molecular biological aspects. Think of a pregnant woman, and how much harder it is for them to support themselves and the baby (hunting and gathering). How is this woman suppose to survive on her own with no help? Yes, currently with technology she can and has, but it makes more sense that when a woman is pregnant the male does most of the work to support (hunt and gather) the female and his child. It has evolved this way so that all of the proper support for the offspring can be given by the mother's body, and the father then can go hunt and gather.

I just barely scratched the surface. If you want to look into the genetic and molecular aspects there are a lot of genes and proteins that have been passed down, some being exactly identical and others slightly evolved, that have very similar function, if not the same function in reproduction of living organisms. (Notice I didn't just say sexual reproduction)

What do you mean how are we human? The word human and even !+$* sapien is just a man made definition (systematic and logical) for our kind.

LOL at all your other comments. Planets orbit the sun and other stars because of gravity.

Hope this answers your questions. I will be here if you have any others
happy.gif
QFE

I know I'm quoting myself
sick.gif
laugh.gif
But, I think it's really important for people to be informed. I edited it too. Enlarged and recolored.

I won't claim to have all the information or knowledge, and I am not an expert. But, I think this is important for everyone to know. I hope it can answer your questions. I tried my best to fit years of studying and research, into this post and made it as simple as I could. lol so bare with me. I will answer any questions you may have.

France has some of the most violent history in the history of mankind...are you serious? The comfort and luxury they enjoy now is directly connected to a long history of bloody conquest and even internal purging...

son said 'crime rates and murder rates' your such a shallow peon..what about all the people they killed to build their wealth...get the !%$@ outta here....the French had to cut peoples heads off in the streets to get where they are now
30t6p3b.gif

Who was behind both WORLD WARS? Who dropped a nuclear bomb on Japan?

Stay in your lane 'doctor'

SMH @ PleasurePhD having to give a Bio 101 lecture in this thread
30t6p3b.gif

Phd Are you looking at going into teaching? Or research or both? or Not sure?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

30t6p3b.gif

LOL I know, but it's okay cause I kinda like it. I really like to inform people about science topics: 1. cause I think its freaking cool. 
nerd.gif
2.  There is so much false information about science and people who are not informed take it for fact.
frown.gif
sick.gif

Honestly, I don't know yet LOL. I know I should at this point, but I am keeping my options open looking into both post-doc positions and talking with biotech companies. I will do research no matter what, I just don't know which setting I'll be doing it in. I do like teaching, but I love doing research.

France has some of the most violent history in the history of mankind...are you serious? The comfort and luxury they enjoy now is directly connected to a long history of bloody conquest and even internal purging...

son said 'crime rates and murder rates' your such a shallow peon..what about all the people they killed to build their wealth...get the !%$@ outta here....the French had to cut peoples heads off in the streets to get where they are now
30t6p3b.gif

I'm clearly talking about the present, no race is anymore violent than others-heard when I mentioned the "DARK AGES"? I was specifically referring to European societies-You're the one who erroneously drew the conclusion that I was somehow implying that European societies are better
laugh.gif

YOU DREW THAT CONCLUSION, not me
laugh.gif

Now people say God makes societies better, many of the atrocities Europeans committed against other races, cultures were ordained by God himself-That is my point Professor "I hate gays because they white"

That's where making assumptions gets you-
roll.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Looking at it objectively, if a person asserts that religion destroy societies shouldn't that make societies that have a high percentage of Godless people a land of chaos and destruction?

Every society on this planet has blood on its hands, yes even societies that are currently oppressed, the world and history is a never ending cycle of hatred and bloodshed-Japan today is one of the more progressive societies on the planet and one of my favorite nations-A sharp contrast for what Japan stood for a few decades ago-imperialism, genocide, etc

Quit while you're ahead, and do what you do best-Making homophobic comments and saying ignorant $#$% about people's culture-Why don't you talk about how I read so much cause I'm Nigerian, and Nigeria was colonized by the British

30t6p3b.gif

LOL I know, but it's okay cause I kinda like it. I really like to inform people about science topics: 1. cause I think its freaking cool. 
nerd.gif
2.  There is so much false information about science and people who are not informed take it for fact.
frown.gif
sick.gif

Honestly, I don't know yet LOL. I know I should at this point, but I am keeping my options open looking into both post-doc positions and talking with biotech companies. I will do research no matter what, I just don't know which setting I'll be doing it in. I do like teaching, but I love doing research.

lol most professors I know love their research, and only teach cause the university forces them to. There's a lot of money in biotech research, a lot of MD/PhDs do research for biotech and pharmaceutical companies

30t6p3b.gif

nerd.gif
frown.gif
sick.gif

lol most professors I know love their research, and only teach cause the university forces them to. There's a lot of money in biotech research, a lot of MD/PhDs do research for biotech and pharmaceutical companies
Yes, which can be a problem sometimes. If I go that route I think I would like teaching too. I am trying to not let the money sway me, but I am really tired of being a broke *** student.
laugh.gif
frown.gif

nerd.gif
frown.gif
sick.gif

Yes, which can be a problem sometimes. If I go that route I think I would like teaching too. I am trying to not let the money sway me, but I am really tired of being a broke *** student.
laugh.gif
frown.gif

Same here man, gotta love what you do sadly money doesn't motivate me at all-I only say sadly because I feel like it should
sick.gif
Once the reality of having to pay those loans back hits, I'll throw all that passion and "do what you love" nonsense out the window
laugh.gif

The Australian

15312-131755-1629-6
p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif
fp.gif

Search for:

Weather: Sydney 8°C-16°C. Partly cloudy.

[h2]Griffith University[/h2]
[h1]Found! Mankind's missing link[/h1]

• September 09, 20112:32PM

166187-skull.jpg

Dr Andy Harries from La Trobe University who was part of an international team which dated fossilised human bones found last year in South Africa at 1.98 million years old. Source: Supplied

NEW testing on prehistoric skeletons found in South Africa has found they are 2 million years old -- providing compelling evidence the discovery could be mankind's earliest known ancestor.

An international research team determined the age of the primitive human remains using uranium-lead dating and analysis of the flowstone surrounding them at the excavation site.

The age of the skeletons, named Australopithecus sediba -- meaning "natural spring" in the South African language of Sotho -- puts forward a strong case for the hominids being the missing link between man and ape.

The fossils were found in 2008 at the Malapa Cave site -- in an area known as the Cradle of Humankind, west of Johannesburg -- and were brought to the world's attention last year by Professor Paul Dirks from Australia's James Cook University in Townsville and Professor Lee Berger, from the University of Witwatersrand.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

[h3]Related Coverage[/h3]

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Dating of the fossils by an international team including Dr Andy Herries from La Trobe University indicated Australopithecus sediba is a good candidate for being the oldest ancestor of modern man. Their work is being published this week in a series of five papers in the international journal ‘Science’.

Until now fossils dated to 1.9 million years ago, including @!%* habilis and @!%* rudolfensis, were considered ancestors of @!%* erectus, the earliest undisputed human ancestor.

"We are able to say far more definitely that we have a lot of very good evidence that these fossils are older than @!%* erectus," Dirks said.

"Last year, we got a bit of criticism from people who said we weren't certain about the age of the fossils and there was an overlap with the @!%* erectus fossils. But this year, we can be far more definite."

There have now been six skeletons unearthed at the cave -- including what appears to be a family of five with a male adult, a female adult, a juvenile, a small child and a baby.

They found Adam?
nerd.gif

Wow man. I really thought all this wisdom you guys claim to have could answer my simple question of male and woman and yet you guys couldnt. 
All you did was give me info regarding reproduction and gene pools and all types of things. All you did was avoid my question and jump to the immediate next stage of life, reproduction and so on. 

So from evolution and genetic make up and mutations SOMEHOW a woman was made? Come on homie, woman and man's build up is identical yet different. It is hard for me to understand that Man evolved from a single celled organism, and a woman evolved as well.

You want to say man evolved from ape there fore in that kingdom there are male and female, thats cool. But we are taking about origins of creation and there must have been 2 sexes for the human race to evolve. 

Whatever, i know sillyputty will come in here and say where is your proof, anton will be on some this is stupid thinking, and the new dude who posted up first lecture in grade 12 biology will say some stuff.

Not to put you guys down, but this is how i feel you come off. Wisepharo said it best, i will choose to continue to live life thinking im much more complex and with a soul then just some bones and flesh wrapped around.

Wow man. I really thought all this wisdom you guys claim to have could answer my simple question of male and woman and yet you guys couldnt. 
All you did was give me info regarding reproduction and gene pools and all types of things. All you did was avoid my question and jump to the immediate next stage of life, reproduction and so on. 

So from evolution and genetic make up and mutations SOMEHOW a woman was made? Come on homie, woman and man's build up is identical yet different. It is hard for me to understand that Man evolved from a single celled organism, and a woman evolved as well.

You want to say man evolved from ape there fore in that kingdom there are male and female, thats cool. But we are taking about origins of creation and there must have been 2 sexes for the human race to evolve. 

Whatever, i know sillyputty will come in here and say where is your proof, anton will be on some this is stupid thinking, and the new dude who posted up first lecture in grade 12 biology will say some stuff.

Not to put you guys down, but this is how i feel you come off. Wisepharo said it best, i will choose to continue to live life thinking im much more complex and with a soul then just some bones and flesh wrapped around.
Of course it's hard for you to understand. Judging by what you've written about "man and woman", or rather male and female, you have ZERO understanding of basic biology. Not all species reproduce with male and female counterparts, some reproduce asexually. Some of the most basic organisms on the planet (bacteria for instance) reproduce asexually. All life evolved from single-celled organisms and through millions and millions of years, we've gotten to more complicated life forms that now sexually reproduce. "Women" are not unique. 

Understand what? That you guys keep failing to explain how the concept of man and woman works? This is not even my argument for why God exists, I dont need to argue that. I am trying to ask you guys a question and you can not answer it.
Millions and millions of years have gone by hence why humans have woman and man? Come on, what kind of answer is that. The vagina just happened to evolve from a single organism based on the survival of the human race. Thats so wack I cant even believe that you can follow that. 

I know species evolve over a long period and there are bacteria and insect species that have evolved you can use that as a "macrocosm" of the human species if you want. However has there been a mutation/evolution/survival of the fittest where a different gender bearing identical make up has formed? I mean there was one evolution which transformed a single celled organism to etc... now did that same process happen TWICE producing two different genders of the same species? 

If you are quick to answer then how come there has not been any massive evolution of species as that seen of humans. Sharks pre date humans and their genetic features have not given them feet to walk on the earth. Or lungs to breathe outside of water. And I am not even saying why haven't they become humans or why did the apes stop evolving, but why has there been no "EVOLVING" of a new species with likeness to that of humans. Where they have free thought?

IF you feel the need to lecture me about how smart you are and how dumb I am save your answer and keyboard paint because that is not what I am attempting to do here. I do not want to seem smarter then you because of what i say, and neither do I want to hear some condescending words about how you guys are geniuses. 

The idea is, if this makes you happy, by all means man do your thing. I do not know how to say "enjoy" with out putting aside all the blessings that is included in that word. Out of all kingdoms of animals and evolution and genetic survival that has occurred since the earth was formed or species roamed the earth, humans are the only ones with free thought.

If you are quick to answer then how come there has not been any massive evolution of species as that seen of humans. Sharks pre date humans and their genetic features have not given them feet to walk on the earth.

Pfwha? Sharks havent evolved past what they are cause they dont need to! They're adept at surviving the way they are. But if you want to look at how fish have evolved in general, look at frogs. Evolution is brought on by necessity in most cases. Seriously, go brush up on basic biology, please. You'll have any question you've asked answered in full.

And humans are certainly not the only species in the world with 'free thought' (assuming you mean we can think for ourselves).

REALLY BUDDY? So why did apes evolve, matter fact break it all the way down why did the big bang theory happen if it wasnt for necessity?
And if it was necessary for the big bang to happen doesn't that mean we have a purpose? or at least there is a purpose?

If you are quick to answer then how come there has not been any massive evolution of species as that seen of humans. Sharks pre date humans and their genetic features have not given them feet to walk on the earth. Or lungs to breathe outside of water. And I am not even saying why haven't they become humans or why did the apes stop evolving, but why has there been no "EVOLVING" of a new species with likeness to that of humans. Where they have free thought?

It's clear that you do not truly understand the definition of evolution, you seem to think that evolution is aiming towards something, that it is somehow striving to become more like humans. Evolution is just natural selection by a process of surviving -There is no will or thought process involved

-ALL species currently surviving on this planet are just as evolved as we are. A shark is just as perfectly evolved as a human being.

Apes & sharks are still evolving this very second as we type -Every single species on this earth are constantly evolving right now. They have been and will continue to evolve for millions of years.

You complain that people aren't answering your questions -it's not beacause they can't, it's beacause your "questions" are nonsensical and you can't seem to grasp the most basic of scientific phenomena.

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

It's clear that you do not truly understand the definition of evolution, you seem to think that evolution is aiming towards something, that it is somehow striving to become more like humans. Evolution is just natural selection by a process of surviving -There is no will or thought process involved

-ALL species currently surviving on this planet are just as evolved as we are. A shark is just as perfectly evolved as a human being.

Apes & sharks are still evolving this very second as we type -Every single species on this earth are constantly evolving right now. They have been and will continue to evolve for millions of years.

You complain that people aren't answering your questions -it's not beacause they can't, it's beacause your "questions" are nonsensical and you can't seem to grasp the most basic of scientific phenomena.
QFE!!!
YES!

All species as they exist RIGHT NOW are as far evolved as everything else. 

Each "branch" has come as far as every other "branch"

Evolution doesn't get "better" traits change all the time for the better and for the worse. 

30t6p3b.gif

War is war. Modern countries fight just as much as developing ones. We know this.

However there are particular trends that should not be overlooked.

Remember that post with all the graphs I made?

That answers this question but you chose to ignore it. 

It shows that countries that are highly religious and theocratic have lower overall standards of living and GDPs. 

For some reason the USA is the only country that breaks the mold of that statistic, however...there is a clear trend line though. 

Also states that are the "poorest" tend to be the most religious. 

Here is the post http://niketalk.yuku.com/...is-a-god-#reply-11551098

Here are some graphs that clearly show this correlation:

62pgh.png

2275614130_480d8cafda.jpg

secular-graph.gif

religiosity.JPG

sshot11.png

Regionalism%2Band%2BReligiosity.bmp

ztx77iknqkk8tksbouojiw.png

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

QFE, I honestly think there needs to be a separate thread breaking down into layman's terms simple scientific concepts-Some of these questions are
alien.gif

Evolution doesn't happen overnight, if you put aside the erroneous claim that the earth is 3000 years old or whatever the bible says it is you can put this into perspective

To answer that question you also need to understand the PURPOSE of evolution, all living things aren't convergently evolving to become more like humans. Living things evolve GRADUALLY to better adapt to their environment

Bacteria are excellent organisms to study evolution in because their reproductive cycle is rapid
. We are in a constant evolutionary arm race with microbes, we make drugs/vaccines or develop defenses to diseases and the bacteria ADAPT to this by changing their genetic make up to counteract our defenses. It's called the "red queen effect" and it's a perfect example of evolution on a smaller scale.

SMH someone give him the survival of the fittest lecture, i'm tired
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom