Why does it seem like there is more Nat'l pride with US Soccer than US Basketball?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the WC is at a dead time in the sports world for most US sports fans...Last week I think more ppl were talking about the NBA finals than the world cup....

DCAllAmerican, don't bring race into this, look at the Brazilian national soccer team which is majority black, do you think white Brazilians are less supportive of their team because they are not well represented on the squad? Of course not it is simply a non-factor, when Brazil gets eliminated in the World Cup all Brazilians, white and black alike, want to literally commit suicide. White people love basketball in America, I mean have you seen an NBA game lately? Those arenas get filled night after night and you can't tell me that the majority of the people in those stands are black. And you really can't bring the argument that white people don't like certain sports in this country because they're played by mostly blacks when the number sport in the country is football, because unless you're watching the BYU Cougars it's mostly black players out there.

DCAllAmerican, don't bring race into this, look at the Brazilian national soccer team which is majority black, do you think white Brazilians are less supportive of their team because they are not well represented on the squad? Of course not it is simply a non-factor, when Brazil gets eliminated in the World Cup all Brazilians, white and black alike, want to literally commit suicide. White people love basketball in America, I mean have you seen an NBA game lately? Those arenas get filled night after night and you can't tell me that the majority of the people in those stands are black. And you really can't bring the argument that white people don't like certain sports in this country because they're played by mostly blacks when the number sport in the country is football, because unless you're watching the BYU Cougars it's mostly black players out there.

It is because the US team is no longer a joke like it has always been. Many people dont back up losers.

It is because the US team is no longer a joke like it has always been. Many people dont back up losers.

This reminds me of the hockey team at the Olympics. Kinda cool to see everyone get excited but there won't be long lasting effects

This reminds me of the hockey team at the Olympics. Kinda cool to see everyone get excited but there won't be long lasting effects

The World Cup is the premier soccer competition while the Olympic Basketball tournament is behind the NBA Finals in importance.

More Americans follow basketball so with the Olympic team you get more of the "I like Lebron but hate Kobe (or vice versa)" as opposed to rooting for a more faceless mass wearing USA jerseys.

The World Cup is the premier soccer competition while the Olympic Basketball tournament is behind the NBA Finals in importance.

More Americans follow basketball so with the Olympic team you get more of the "I like Lebron but hate Kobe (or vice versa)" as opposed to rooting for a more faceless mass wearing USA jerseys.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Yeah because this only comes 4 years.   NBA is SOOOOOOOOOO  much bigger than the MLS & NHL.  Plus some of the US soccer plays don't even play in the MLS.  
Olympics are always like that tho.  I mean.....when's the last time you talked about Phelps or anyone from them?  It's AMAZING to watch and I watch nearly everything that has to do with the Olympics, but until 2012 we're not really going to talk about it.

When 2014 comes around...USA hockey will be the +@#! again....USA soccer will be too.

Another thing is..... the BEST basketball players are in the NBA...

The BEST soccer players are NOT in the MLS. 

BUT..soccer is bigger than hockey so 

Yeah because this only comes 4 years.   NBA is SOOOOOOOOOO  much bigger than the MLS & NHL.  Plus some of the US soccer plays don't even play in the MLS.  
Olympics are always like that tho.  I mean.....when's the last time you talked about Phelps or anyone from them?  It's AMAZING to watch and I watch nearly everything that has to do with the Olympics, but until 2012 we're not really going to talk about it.

When 2014 comes around...USA hockey will be the +@#! again....USA soccer will be too.

Another thing is..... the BEST basketball players are in the NBA...

The BEST soccer players are NOT in the MLS. 

BUT..soccer is bigger than hockey so 

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the WC is at a dead time in the sports world for most US sports fans...Last week I think more ppl were talking about the NBA finals than the world cup....

Indirect shot at baseball
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

Indirect shot at baseball
smh.gif
laugh.gif

You don't see the similarities?  That's only because the hockey team is white too.  People like white people when they're around for a little while, til they start to get a little to comfortable then they start trying to dance and say, "Yo!" and "What's good, son?"  Nobody wants that.
eyes.gif

The interest in the World Cup has more to do with baseball being the only other sport in action at the moment and the fact that the World Cup is an extremely large one-sport tournament that is getting much more coverage by ESPN, partly due to the fact that the US has showed more promise of late, highlighted by their run in last year's Confederation's Cup.  It's not like the Olympics where there are a lot of other events going on along with basketball, history being made AND that people just expect the US to beat everyone in basketball at this point.

Do you remember the ORIGINAL Dream Team?  A bunch of stars who at least seemed to be in it to win for their country.  Aside from Bird, where there any other white guys on that team?  I remember a ton of people pulling for them and that they were the focus of those Olympics.  Is there more racism now than there was 20 years ago?

If anything, I think you can call it a bandwagon thing because of "success", albeit limited, compared to the past for the US.

You don't see the similarities?  That's only because the hockey team is white too.  People like white people when they're around for a little while, til they start to get a little to comfortable then they start trying to dance and say, "Yo!" and "What's good, son?"  Nobody wants that.
eyes.gif

The interest in the World Cup has more to do with baseball being the only other sport in action at the moment and the fact that the World Cup is an extremely large one-sport tournament that is getting much more coverage by ESPN, partly due to the fact that the US has showed more promise of late, highlighted by their run in last year's Confederation's Cup.  It's not like the Olympics where there are a lot of other events going on along with basketball, history being made AND that people just expect the US to beat everyone in basketball at this point.

Do you remember the ORIGINAL Dream Team?  A bunch of stars who at least seemed to be in it to win for their country.  Aside from Bird, where there any other white guys on that team?  I remember a ton of people pulling for them and that they were the focus of those Olympics.  Is there more racism now than there was 20 years ago?

If anything, I think you can call it a bandwagon thing because of "success", albeit limited, compared to the past for the US.

Originally Posted by REDUCE523

100% agree and I am now a soccer fan.
grin.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted by ddot7

Do you remember the ORIGINAL Dream Team?  A bunch of stars who at least seemed to be in it to win for their country.  Aside from Bird, where there any other white guys on that team? 
John Stockton, Chris Mullin, Christian Laettner

But I get your point.

Originally Posted by ddot7

Do you remember the ORIGINAL Dream Team?  A bunch of stars who at least seemed to be in it to win for their country.  Aside from Bird, where there any other white guys on that team? 
John Stockton, Chris Mullin, Christian Laettner

But I get your point.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

grin.gif
Didn't the team do well in 2002?  I don't even remember anyone talking about them in 2006.  I don't see what the big deal is about the win today.  They won 1 game out of 3.  I don't expect much from this team.
It's the summer right now so a lot of people are just chilling at home watching the games.  facebook is filled with soccer statuses from people that never talk about sports.  

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

grin.gif
Didn't the team do well in 2002?  I don't even remember anyone talking about them in 2006.  I don't see what the big deal is about the win today.  They won 1 game out of 3.  I don't expect much from this team.
It's the summer right now so a lot of people are just chilling at home watching the games.  facebook is filled with soccer statuses from people that never talk about sports.  

they won 2 games, slovenia game had a bad call. and they drew with an elite team in england. alot better than how ur making it seem. also i think the fact we were robbed against slovenia gave us a bigger sense of unity in that WE were robbed and and we had that feeling that something was taken away from us. and one strike changed us from the victim to the team that fought and overcame.

as for the answer the OPs question...i really think you cant just say its one factor. i think everyones bringing up good points and its a combination of them. and yes, even the race one is valid imo.

they won 2 games, slovenia game had a bad call. and they drew with an elite team in england. alot better than how ur making it seem. also i think the fact we were robbed against slovenia gave us a bigger sense of unity in that WE were robbed and and we had that feeling that something was taken away from us. and one strike changed us from the victim to the team that fought and overcame.

as for the answer the OPs question...i really think you cant just say its one factor. i think everyones bringing up good points and its a combination of them. and yes, even the race one is valid imo.

Back
Top Bottom