Why does it seem like there is more Nat'l pride with US Soccer than US Basketball?

^Oh no! I didn't see race coming into this debate!

Typical NT. I expect better arguments out of you DC.

Originally Posted by LakersNation

i think there's definitely some truth behind this....

i think its because in basketball we're ALWAYS the favorite to win it all, but in soccer we're the underdogs. AND most people get happy when the underdog wins.

this

Originally Posted by LakersNation

i think there's definitely some truth behind this....

i think its because in basketball we're ALWAYS the favorite to win it all, but in soccer we're the underdogs. AND most people get happy when the underdog wins.

this

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Look at WHO is representing the US in basketball and look at WHO is representing the US in futbol. Some folks aren't cool with "us" representing them. Hell some don't even care about basketball because it is all about "us."

Also remember, many of US cared about the USA beating Spain, as a nation we might not have cared.

Take it how you want. That reason can't be brushed aside either. 

keep that race card crap in General

Look at WHO is representing the US in basketball and look at WHO is representing the US in futbol. Some folks aren't cool with "us" representing them. Hell some don't even care about basketball because it is all about "us."

Also remember, many of US cared about the USA beating Spain, as a nation we might not have cared.

Take it how you want. That reason can't be brushed aside either. 

keep that race card crap in General

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Better arguments as if that point isn't a factor? Why people continue to dismiss race as an invalid argument is beyond me. But if you want to write it off as a weak argument, be my guest man.

But it can't be ignored.

Basketball is a sport of colored people.
Soccer is not.

I went there.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Better arguments as if that point isn't a factor? Why people continue to dismiss race as an invalid argument is beyond me. But if you want to write it off as a weak argument, be my guest man.

But it can't be ignored.

Basketball is a sport of colored people.
Soccer is not.

I went there.

like everyone else said, the US is expected to dominate basketball.. its usually a surprise when there's another team out there that can even compete with us (Spain).

in soccer, we're always underdogs. its always more fun to get behind an underdog.

like everyone else said, the US is expected to dominate basketball.. its usually a surprise when there's another team out there that can even compete with us (Spain).

in soccer, we're always underdogs. its always more fun to get behind an underdog.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

It's because the World Cup is exponentially bigger than any international basketball competition.

You'd feel a lot more pride if someone in your family won an Oscar than if they won a Source Award.
Indirectly hit on the race issue. Not sure if that was a Freudian Slip
laugh.gif
I was just trying to come up with a lesser award than the Oscar's.

The race possibility is always there, but I think if it is involved it's deeper than just black and white. I think it's more "hood" v. "safe". All the black dudes on USMNT seem fairly square, but the USBB team is a bit more thugged out it seems. I think that's the issue if anything, and it's the motivation for Stern's dress code. He knows that black athletes are very marketable, just not the ones that look like thugs in the eyes of the White American public.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

It's because the World Cup is exponentially bigger than any international basketball competition.

You'd feel a lot more pride if someone in your family won an Oscar than if they won a Source Award.
Indirectly hit on the race issue. Not sure if that was a Freudian Slip
laugh.gif
I was just trying to come up with a lesser award than the Oscar's.

The race possibility is always there, but I think if it is involved it's deeper than just black and white. I think it's more "hood" v. "safe". All the black dudes on USMNT seem fairly square, but the USBB team is a bit more thugged out it seems. I think that's the issue if anything, and it's the motivation for Stern's dress code. He knows that black athletes are very marketable, just not the ones that look like thugs in the eyes of the White American public.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Cause Soccer is the world sport while we dominate in basketball...even if we lose in those FIBA tournaments, everyone knows America is the best at basketball.  And plus there isn't a tournament for basketball like the World Cup that draws this much interest.
This

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I think it only seems like it because the World Cup has it's own stage, whereas the Redeem Team had to share the spotlight with Phelps and all the other American athletes and storylines. Especially since the Finals and Stanley Cup are both finished, there's no other sports, besides June baseball and the NBA Draft, to really steal the spotlight away.

And this

I think it has alot to do with the underdog factor

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Cause Soccer is the world sport while we dominate in basketball...even if we lose in those FIBA tournaments, everyone knows America is the best at basketball.  And plus there isn't a tournament for basketball like the World Cup that draws this much interest.
This

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I think it only seems like it because the World Cup has it's own stage, whereas the Redeem Team had to share the spotlight with Phelps and all the other American athletes and storylines. Especially since the Finals and Stanley Cup are both finished, there's no other sports, besides June baseball and the NBA Draft, to really steal the spotlight away.

And this

I think it has alot to do with the underdog factor

Look at WHO is representing the US in basketball and look at WHO is representing the US in futbol. Some folks aren't cool with "us" representing them. 
Seriously? You honesly believe this? I feel sorry for you.

Look at WHO is representing the US in basketball and look at WHO is representing the US in futbol. Some folks aren't cool with "us" representing them. 
Seriously? You honesly believe this? I feel sorry for you.

I just hate that half of my friends who never even mentioned soccer since I've known them are going crazy over this World Cup +!%!#!*+

Reminds me of the bandwagon Laker fans.
mad.gif

I just hate that half of my friends who never even mentioned soccer since I've known them are going crazy over this World Cup +!%!#!*+

Reminds me of the bandwagon Laker fans.
mad.gif

Man there are so many Facebook statuses about the World Cup from people I didn't even know HAVE ever watched a moment of sports on television. I think some of them are faking. But yea I can't remember if that happened from Redeem Team. I know it happened during Lakers vs. Celtics though. EVERYONE was a Celtics fan last week. Hahaha.

I resemble that...

Man there are so many Facebook statuses about the World Cup from people I didn't even know HAVE ever watched a moment of sports on television. I think some of them are faking. But yea I can't remember if that happened from Redeem Team. I know it happened during Lakers vs. Celtics though. EVERYONE was a Celtics fan last week. Hahaha.

I resemble that...

Americans like to feel cultured. They view footy as the sport played by Europeans, and Americans have an inferiority complex with Europeans. So every 4 years, Americans use footy like a nerd uses a hot girl and hope that it gets them status among their European peers.

Americans like to feel cultured. They view footy as the sport played by Europeans, and Americans have an inferiority complex with Europeans. So every 4 years, Americans use footy like a nerd uses a hot girl and hope that it gets them status among their European peers.

Back
Top Bottom