WHY EVERY PAIR OF GLASSES ON PLANET EARTH IS THE SAME

VID NOT EMBEDABLE, FROM 60 MINUTES

FROM COMPLEX:

60 Minutes aired this piece tonight by Lesley Stahl that profiles Italian eyewear company Luxottica. If you haven't heard of it, you've probably heard of one of the many brands it owns: Oliver Peoples, Persol, Ray-Ban, and Oakley—as well as the countless designer houses it makes frames for like Ralph Lauren, Versace, Burberry, and Brooks Brothers.

What's more, they also have a monopoly on eyewear retailers. Among its subsidiaries are Pearle Vision, Lens Crafters, and Sunglass Hut. To put it simply, they pretty much run the glasses game. How did they become the Nucky Thompson of the optical world? The report delves into how they first started manufacturing glasses for designer houses in an attempt to make frames less nerdy and more fashionable. As a result, they've slowly and literally gobbled up the competition.

Stahl points out that Oakley, a recent acquisition by the company in 2007, at first tried to remain independent of the Italian eyewear giant, who then refused to stock the brand's shades in its stores. As a result, Oakley's stock plummeted before being bought by Luxottica. Yet, despite owning so many brands, retailers, and even eyewear insurance company EyeMed, prices for prescription frames remain as astronomical as ever. Watch the video to find out how consumers are the ones getting slighted by turning a blind eye on this optical monopoly.

i thought its been known, and i think someone mentioned it on here before that one company pretty much makes every single pair of glasses and sunglasses for high and low end brands.

thats why ill never go out and spend $300+ on a pair

Damn they own Eyemed?

No wonder the Versace glasses I bought were so cheap using my insurance. They were getting ALL the money. :lol:

So what happened to monopolies being illegal?

maybe cuz they are foreign based? seems like everything is either ran as a cartel or monopoly nowadays. also more than likely they arent a true monopoly. tho they may be insignificant in regards to market share there has to be some other competition.

Last edited:
So what happened to monopolies being illegal?

maybe cuz they are foreign based? seems like everything is either ran as a monopoly or cartel nowadays.
Yes. There's not much the U.S. courts can do when the monopoly is foreign based.

If they passed sanctions to prevent the companies from doing business in the U.S., it would hurt the jobs here like Oakley who still design and sell the brands here.

I thought this was already known? Ray-Ban and Oakley are the same.

With that being said, they do use better lenses on the higher end brands. After owning 2 pairs of Frogskins, I will never own a "cheap" pair again. They simply do not compare. The lenses Oakley uses are amazing

I am disgusted by the amount we have to pay in America for frames and lenses. I have been living in Korea for two years, and in that time I've replaced the lenses in my glasses . I payed about $18 for new lenses with the anti reflective coating. They didn't even ask if I wanted anti reflective coating, because its just not an option. It's such a ridiculous thing not have have an anti reflective coating. When I first bought my glasses I went with the cheapest lenses they had at around $70(this was the first time I was buying glasses and paying out of pocket). I was shocked later that night when trying to drive home from the mall and all I could see was the triple headlights from oncoming cars in the other lane. I went back the next day and paid +$100 for the lenses.

Needless to say I am stocking up on frames before I leave.

I don't have to wear prescription lenses luckily, so I can shop around a bit when it comes to finding new sunglasses, there's not many companies out there that are still independently owned.

I almost preordered a pair from kickstarter a while back, but missed the deadline to get them at the cheap rate, and think that spending 200 on a pair of sunglasses is a bit much, if they manage to hit their target release date I may pick up a pair later.

The guy from Luxottica they interviewed just seemed like such a DB.

Footlocker

Footaction

Eastbay

HOUSE OF HOOPS

NIKE

If Nike has their way, it's going to be the same thing there, and it's starting with the LeBron James X for two bills plus.

Just watch. 

Footlocker
Footaction
Eastbay

HOUSE OF HOOPS

NIKE

LOLwut? Foot Locker owns Footaction, Eastbay, CCS, & Champs NOT Nike :smh:

Finishline owns Journeys, Hat World, Lids, and Johnston & Murphy. They used to own Man Alive too, but they sold that franchise to Jimmy Jazz.

Nike's assets = Cole Haan (which they're trying to sell), Umbro (same), Converse, & Hurley

Last edited:
Don't care. I buy my eyeglasses from Costco since it's cheap. I haven't bought new sunglasses in years. I watched that story last night on 60 Minutes. Can't be mad at them for expanding and making an empire.

LOLwut? Foot Locker owns Footaction, Eastbay, CCS, & Champs NOT Nike
mean.gif

Finishline owns Journeys, Hat World, Lids, and Johnston & Murphy. They used to own Man Alive too, but they sold that franchise to Jimmy Jazz.
Nike's assets = Cole Haan (which they're trying to sell), Umbro (same), Converse, & Hurley
LOLwut?

This is why people...never mind.

Perhaps you do not understand the current partnership between Nike, Foot Locker and the HOH. They only sell Nike Product. They've also tried to do so with a HOH style running shop, both of which are like Sunglasses Hut.

my friend's father used to be an executive at luxottica. the different brands of eye glasses and sunglasses this kid could get for almost free was astounding. this company is no joke.

Back
Top Bottom