[| -- Why in the hell is LA hosting the 2011 All Star Game? I'm confused -- |]

DYNAMICS

formerly diplomat tdot
They just had it in 2004 and did I just hear the guys on ATH say Toronto gets it in 2012
nerd.gif

Because the proximity of L.A. Live, Staples Center and the LA convention center is something the NBA wants to explore while L.A. Live and the hotels in it are still brand new.

Money%20stacks.jpg

The NBA needs money and LA will bring some revenue next year to the NBA and the City.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Because the proximity of L.A. Live, Staples Center and the LA convention center is something the NBA wants to explore while L.A. Live and the hotels in it are still brand new.

Plus the weather...
pimp.gif

Dip, you really think Toronto will get it?

I'm thinking that the NBA prefers hosting the ASG in warm weather locations.

I also read that the ACC is too small to host the event (not enough locker room for all the All-Stars, rookies+sophomores, other contestants) plus there isn't enough room for the media people, performers, etc.

Maybe they'd have to do it in the Skydome
sick.gif

Anyways, I'd love for it to come here. It would only be fair seeing as how we've been in the league for 15+ years now and we've never hosted it.

Originally Posted by rocathajordans23

Plus the weather...
pimp.gif
minus the damn traffic
sick.gif
wink.gif
. But i will be there
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Dip, you really think Toronto will get it?

I also read that the ACC is too small to host the event (not enough locker room for all the All-Stars, rookies+sophomores, other contestants) plus there isn't enough room for the media people, performers, etc.

Maybe they'd have to do it in the Skydome
sick.gif

Anyways, I'd love for it to come here. It would only be fair seeing as how we've been in the league for 15+ years now and we've never hosted it.

Where's you read that?

I could've sworn Orlando is hosting it in 2012 since they got the new arena coming next season. I think the guy on ATH slipped up and said Toronto instead of Orlando.

Someone was asking me Sunday night about the feasibility of an all-star game in Toronto.

Simple answer?

No.

Yes, the city’s great and has lots of hotel space and conventionfloor space and clubs and restaurants and there’d be every chance it’dbe warmer there than it was in Dallas.

The issue is the Air Canada Centre.

It’s a good building, with good seats for fans in a nice downtown location and most things work well in it.

But it’s too small. No back-of-house space.

Heck, there aren’t even enough dressing rooms for the folks who sing and dance, let alone all the stuff they bring with.

Honestly, the scope of this all-star thing is huge; people,props, stuffed animals, more people and props. The Air Canada Centre,for all its charms, simply doesn’t have the facilities to handleeverything smoothly.

Heck, when the Raptors get into the playoffs, they have to feedthe media in a hallway – single tables stretched out along a wall –because the joint can’t handle the extra people.

I can’t even guess what it’d be like with an all-star game and, if they apply, I bet the league would have some concerns.

Sorry.

Besides, we keep hearing that after Los Angeles next year, thenew arena in Orlando might be a host and so, too, might New Orleans beso you could be looking 2014 at the earliest anyway.

Maybe Maple Leaf Sports applies and gets it for a long-off yearand, who knows, maybe they do the Saturday at the ACC and the game atthe dome but I’d be surprised.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Maybe Toronto hosts it when construction is finished on the condos next to the ACC.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

They lean towards it, but they will host it in cold/mild weather cities:

05 Denver
03 Atlanta (37 right now)
02 Philadelphia
01 Washington DC
98 New York
97 Cleveland
94 Minnesota
93 Utah

And it goes on...

What pacmac said is 100% correct

And Jpz most of them citys you posted will never host a all star game again. It was a one shot thing.

The traffic downtown is gonna be crazy
The streets and freeways are gonna be packed
Not to mention the cover at clubs for regular people gonna be real expensive

I got to try and go this time around.
I missed it last time the ASG were here.

Originally Posted by rocathajordans23

Plus the weather...
pimp.gif

The main issue is that LA just recently hosted one, let another city get a chance.

Damn $tern

Back
Top Bottom