Why is AAVE/Ebonics not respected as a legitimate dialect?

She's a lame for not just telling you that it bothered her though.

She DID :lol: by correcting him earlier on.

He just insists on leaving the "are" out hence this thread.

OP is being just as petty as she is.

Last edited:
She DID :lol: by correcting him earlier on.

He just insists on leaving the "are" out hence this thread.

OP is being just as petty as she is.

Yeah, fair enough :lol:

But to correct him once, and end a conversation over it, before finally taking it to a subtweet on Twitter? She's lame as **** for handling it like that.

But indeed, OP is just looking for validation towards being too lazy to type complete sentences.

It's corny for her to act like that but...

Why is it looked at as a poor or incorrect form of Standard English? Because it is.

Just like it you hear someone with a southern drawl and using southern lingo and saw them text like it, it's improper. It's not an assumption of "ignorance" (improper usage) but just a cultural thing. There are plenty of folks of certain races or from certain areas, etc that make the effort to speak properly. Even though that's what you're focused on because it's relevant to you, it's not just a function of race.

A dialect is not considered a "incorrect form" of the given language. It's recognized as a dialect of standard English.

Ebonics is an incorrect form of English though. Just like there is correct way to write the language, there is a correct way to speak it. Most of the time, I speak completely different than I write but that does not necessarily mean that I am ignorant. It just means that I am incorrect. A boy who just turned two years old can speak English but I would not call his broken sentences a dialect. When you say something like, "We outside waiting for you" everyone knows what you are saying but you are still leaving out words that you need to make that sentence correct.

Edit: Broad still sounds like a snob though.

Last edited:
To the non-black people when you hear someone using AAVE do you automatically assume they're ignorant?

NEVER. Assuming someone is ignorant because of the way they speak is ignorant.
I use a certain dialect because everyone in school spoke the same way. But to think that I am a certain way based off of just that, crazy :lol: That girl you were with sounds pretentious as hell.

AAVE is not respected because it doesn't follow the "status quo" for a professional setting and is improper. To extend a bit further, certain people might have negative associations between AAVE and the black community which is why they might look down on it.

*shrug*

Last edited:
It's one thing to do one or the other...

He sent it in a text AND said it on the phone...so it's understandable why she might think he's an idiot :lol:

but sometimes I don't even notice

If OP doesn't realize when he does it sometimes...how is she suppose to know he can form complete sentences at all ?

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "Perfect English" At it's core, English itself is the mixed slang from a bunch of different cultures that we all kind of agreed on, however we never actually agreed. We don't have an official language. Every time we speak with someone else we enter into a game of context clues, blue to me doesn't mean the same as blue to you, so when we talk about the color blue we are entering into a game to try and decipher what each person means when they speak.

Long story short, the only "perfect English" is whatever you say that can be understood by the person whom you wish to understand it, there is a difference between saying "Reggie Bush" instead of "Berry Sanders" but there is not really a difference if I say "What you doing" as opposed to "What are you doing" ...either way you understood what the **** I meant.

Hate people that text as if they're writing a new bill to pass the senate house. ***** the point of texting is to quickly reply and continue about my day. I refuse to use you/ you're/ your while texting. U Ur FTW.

i cringe at the term aave/ebonics...

with that said, this broad is wack for that. you're better off without her.

Bougie/buji is the incorrect spelling of bourgeoisie. Which is so common it's viewed as slang now.

Last edited:
Meh...

Keep it pumping bruh...

My professional tone and my famb tone aren't that much different... The wording is just mixed around...

So, when talking to yambs, I use the professional wording, yet the TONE is still conversational...

From there, I'll mix in some words as things get more chill (yambs, sup, uoeno)

Now, if she trying to flex on you b/c of the word are, then she really is just looking for reasons to dip...

I'll say this till a die... If a chick likes you... She make excuses to like you...

If a chick doesn't like you... She'll make excuses to not like you...

AAVE is not a damn dialect. It is something bred out of ignorance and that is why it is not/should not be respected.

I'd be the same way too if i was talking to some bird and all that comes out her mouth was dis/dat/da etc.

maybe she was a little quick to judge, but she gave you a chance and you failed. take the L.

AAVE is not a damn dialect. It is something bred out of ignorance and that is why it is not/should not be respected.

I'd be the same way too if i was talking to some bird and all that comes out her mouth was dis/dat/da etc.

maybe she was a little quick to judge, but she gave you a chance and you failed. take the L.
get you some yambs and loosen up some bruh...

Stems from the slave tongue. 

Once you've attained a level of consciousness, you should abandon the slave dialect. Now if you're speaking among friends and family, then of course informal speech may not be frowned upon, but leave the slave **** on the plantation. 

Curious as to what's the difference b/w OP's thread and ol' girl's tweet?

She probably fell back when you called her a ***** on the phone like you'll were cool like that.

Might be unrelated but I work with giving language assessments to children as well as adults through standardized norm-referenced testing and it does allow for AAE to be counted on some tests of articulation.

There are problems however for the differences within AAE based on geographic/regional dialect.

IMHO while I don't subscribe to the idea that SAE should be that "Ohio way of speak", I do believe that in certain contexts there is a need for people in a conversation to balance their own way of saying things and knowing their audience and setting.

Back
Top Bottom