Why is AAVE/Ebonics not respected as a legitimate dialect?

Just don't let her and her friends smoke with you and your homies. Chicks like that never bring any to throw down anyways.

Ignore her till she throw the box at you, catch it like Calvin Johnson, then drop that trick like she's going outta style.

:pimp:

Curious as to what's the difference b/w OP's thread and ol' girl's tweet?

She probably fell back when you called her a ***** on the phone like you'll were cool like that.

This actually initially crossed my mind as the reason she wasn't into the phone convo.

I was thinking he said ____ in his head...and "where you at" is what actually came out his mouth

Last edited:
"what you finna do?" - what are you fixing to do?

"where dey bout be at after the club, doe?" - where will they be at after the club, though?

"wus good kinfoe? uh been out here jus chillin and grindin, mayne" what in your life is well? i have just been out here relaxing and working hard, man.

"come on, dawg.... you ain finna be out here jackin the pill you aint got the banger like that" - come on, teammate. you are not about to continue taking ill advised shots... you dont have the shooting ability .

"she got da butt bro... but she kinda beat in the face... i aineem trippin cuz the wop good, and she dont be all in my ****" - she has a nice butt, brother... but her looks arent that enticing. but its all good and i'm not concerned because she's great at felatio, and isnt too bothersome.

bong.

certain ways of speaking allow for the listener to possibly misinterpret what is being said.

(for instance, in the preceding sentence, because i used the phrase "certain ways of speaking" it is not clear whether i am referring to dialect, pronunciation, cadence, or vocabulary choice. maybe i meant all of them, or maybe i didn't mean any of those and meant something else entirely. if i had communicated more clearly, there would be less chance for misinterpretation.)

how critical is the situation that you are communicating about?

we were on our way to a drinking establishment and had stopped at a red light that had a railroad crossing. GF was in the front passenger seat. all of the sudden she starts yelling "bar! bar! bar!" me and friends thought to ourselves, "yes, that's where we're going. we're going to a bar. hold your horses, jeez." well, it turns out she was trying to let us know that the railroad crossing guard was coming down and was going to hit the hood of the vehicle. how would you describe that thing? she chose the word "bar." too bad that word has more than one meaning. damage to the hood of the car was minimal.

i find slang to be creative and entertaining. but if somebody is communicating something of importance i would hope they would choose a way to communicate that is least likely to be misinterpreted or misunderstood.

This made me start thinking why is African American Vernacular English not respected but instead looked at as a poor or incorrect form of Standard English?

To the black people do you use AAVE in everyday casual conversations?

To the non-black people when you hear someone using AAVE do you automatically assume they're ignorant?

To answer the questions, 1. Because it's from Black People, 2. Yes. Less so when I'm at work (unless I'm talking to other Black folk lol)

Other regions have dialect and slang terminology, but it's not always frowned upon. Hell, the chick tweeted "dudes" and that's not the King's English. People kill me thinking that how one talks in casual conversation is an accurate representation of one's intelligence. I type in generally proper English, but I can speak quite ignantly in the right scenarios :lol:

To answer the questions, 1. Because it's from Black People, 2. Yes. Less so when I'm at work (unless I'm talking to other Black folk lol)

Other regions have dialect and slang terminology, but it's not always frowned upon. Hell, the chick tweeted "dudes" and that's not the King's English. People kill me thinking that how one talks in casual conversation is an accurate representation of one's intelligence. I type in generally proper English, but I can speak quite ignantly in the right scenarios
laugh.gif
but in the right scenario you're on a mental plantation 

Nobody says anything to people from the South when they use their accent, but black people's accent is frowned upon . 

Last edited:
Nobody says anything to people from the South when they use their accent, but black people's accent is frowned upon . 

To establish this as a black people's accent is highly ignorant and offensive to the black race. You think we should be proud of the fact that slaves had to speak broken English in order to be seen as dumb and live or speak proper English and seen as an uppity negro and be killed. The fact that this is STILL prevalent in African American communities is a SHAME.

But again, OP was talking about a txt message at first, so all those rules are thrown out the window, he was just tryin to blow and smash, no need for all those copulas and snarf :lol:

There is no shame in embracing some attributes of your ancestry. Slavery happened, and it impacted African American culture. That isn't going away. I don't believe that slaves spoke in even a similar dialect to that of blacks today. And even if they hypothetically did, wasn't Christianity forced upon the slaves too? Do you have an issue with blacks who practice that?

In short, I think blacks should be proud that they have their own way of speaking English. It might have come from undesirable roots, but the reality is that it is their own. Why not be proud of.it?

That is not an attribute of my ancestry, how dumb is that?

Its almost like saying germans should be proud because they were almost able to eliminate an entire population. What an amazing attribute...

Last edited:
There is no shame in embracing some attributes of your ancestry. Slavery happened, and it impacted African American culture. That isn't going away. I don't believe that slaves spoke in even a similar dialect to that of blacks today. And even if they hypothetically did, wasn't Christianity forced upon the slaves too? Do you have an issue with blacks who practice that?

In short, I think blacks should be proud that they have their own way of speaking English. It might have come from undesirable roots, but the reality is that it is their own. Why not be proud of.it?
Lol does this even work in the real world? lol what fantasy world you livin in op where blacks should embrace slavery dialect?

Lol does this even work in the real world? lol what fantasy world you livin in op where blacks should embrace slavery dialect?

That is not an attribute of my ancestry, how dumb is that?

Its almost like saying germans should be proud because they were almost able to eliminate an entire population. What an amazing attribute...

Are Black people from the Caribbean wrong for embracing and promoting Creole (and its many variations) because of its origins? After all the language is a mash-up of all the different African/European/Native languages mainly used by their enslaved ancestors, and people from the islands recognize it as an integral part of their culture.

To reject Ebonics just because of the circumstances in which it was born is pretty narrow-minded IMO.

AAVE is not a damn dialect. It is something bred out of ignorance and that is why it is not/should not be respected.

I'd be the same way too if i was talking to some bird and all that comes out her mouth was dis/dat/da etc.

maybe she was a little quick to judge, but she gave you a chance and you failed. take the L.

Well according to professional linguist, AAVE is a dialect of the english language, just as chicano and Hawaiian Pidgin. There was a court case to support it as a dialect and not a seperate language in Oakland a few years back. Just because you don't believe it to be a dialect of english, does not mean it isn't a dialect of english.

OP, I reinstalled Windows 3 times and still can't see the pics. I bought a Mac and can't see the pics on here either. Halp.

There is nothing more unprofessional then "Ebonics".

I would never hire someone who spoke like that during work hours.

Not to say its wrong, I'm from NY god knows I don't use proper English, but in the workplace, there needs to be professionalism, whether you're scrubbing toilets , or the CEO of a major corporation.

It shows respect.

This is a great discussion. Some points:

1) Ole girl definitely tried to play you :lol: she super lame for that

2) As someone who works in a area where I represent our corporate headquarters directly, I speak AAVE to those who speak it to me. I work with rail supervisors so everyone is very lax. However, I don't speak like that to the CEO of Metro or any other executive officer or manager. Never will.

3) Does it show a sign of ignorance? No. I speak "proper" english most of the time as it is but I do use ebonics/AAVE when conversing with my peers and people I'm comfortable with and 95% of those people are educated, professional persons.

People fail to understand that da application of

Language is a exercise in self expression ...hasnt

Music, movies, literature taught ya anything?

If language was as rigid as that broad tried to imply

We'd still be yappin that Shakespeare english.

You still got people trying to discredit Graffiti as a

Legit art form...

Last edited:
Off topic, does never having been attracted to your own race show a display of self hatred?

srs question.

Last edited:
Off topic, does never having been attracted to your own race show a display of self hatred?

srs question.

Depends on why. If the people who look like you around your way just aren't your type, then nah. But if you completely dislike every [insert race] woman simply because she is a [insert race], then you got some issues brah.

Back
Top Bottom