Why isnt Demarcus Cousins as hyped as Greg Oden was?

Oden is a model character guy, and also a defensive game changer the way he blocks shots. Oden had also been consistently dominant since he came on the scene as a prospect. Cousins has been inconsistent, an enigma, and a headcase. Offensively, there is no comparison Cousins is more advanced. Oden was touted as the total package as a big man though, the next dominant big man.

Originally Posted by StackJaxx

Originally Posted by Shaq DIESEL 34

Not as Dominant... Oden was said to be NBA-ready since like Junior year in HS.

and number one hyped since sophomore year.
also he isnt THAT dude for UK.
Oden wasnt Dominant like that in college...hell, cousin's stats are similar and he's playing w/ 2 other lottery picks..
Because we've learned our lessons about hyping up young centers.
I hope you're right because all you need is a serviceable center to be a contender.
Most serious basketball heads knew who Greg Oden was when he was in like 7th grade...
and he still hasnt developed 1 offensive move..
And Oden is more athletic than Demarcus.
Oden's athleticism is the more overhyped than him...How the hell can you be athletic, but have no footwork and look mechanical?

Ya dudes are starting to hate a lil' to much on Cousins. Ya not giving the dude any respect right now except High Class smh

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Its just that some are getting too sucked in by the Wall hype to recognize Cousins.
you dont think that's changed recently? I can't count how many times lately I've heard Cousins is more valuable, or playing better.

Whether or not Oden is mechanical offensively, he was a better athlete, hands down.

to the person who said he could block shots in time, find me 1 good shot blocker that wasn't good at it off the bat. Those instincts are not learned.

As far as the title of the thread, why would someone who was inconsistent for his whole career up until recently have received hype like that in the first place? If he was always playing at this level he probably would have a bigger hype machine.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

Oden's athleticism is the more overhyped than him...How the hell can you be athletic, but have no footwork and look mechanical?

Oden ran the court better, was stronger and jumped higher.
ohwell.gif

Oden is without question more athletic

And I mean random dudes...not the college bball thread regulars. I mean, I saw that thread where some were talking about "trading down" for Cousins, like he couldn't go before Turner based on need.

Oden wasnt Dominant like that in college...hell, cousin's stats are similar and he's playing w/ 2 other lottery picks..
I hope you're right because all you need is a serviceable center to be a contender.
Most serious basketball heads knew who Greg Oden was when he was in like 7th grade...

Then what is your reasoning?

You're arguing all these reasons, but yet the fact is that he isn't even close to as hyped as Oden was.

Then what is your reasoning?

You're arguing all these reasons, but yet the fact is that he isn't even close to as hyped as Oden was.
I know, he's not as hyped as Oden was and i'm asking why? the only skill Oden has that's clearly better than Cousins is shot blocking...

Makes me wonder if Cousins was a likeable comedian type guy would he be more praised?

That's a a pretty huge skill though bro. Oden came out and was supposed to be a defensive anchor. The league has more bigmen who can score, than they do big men who are elite defenders.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Cousins has great footwork? since when?
This.

He is also not extremely athletic or explosive.  On the next level he is Brendan Haywood/Erick Dampeir IMO

Oden was a true 7-footer who was also a very, very good athlete.. He was an elite defensive player and rebounder who people thought had the potential to impact the offensive end down the line as well...

I like Cousins a lot more than some people... He doesn't have a great body and he's not very explosive or athletic, and red flags about his personality are still up in the air, but he's got some skill on the offensive end...

Zach Randolph, maybe?

As long as he keeps his head on straight dude should be a good player in the NBA. Cousins has been a beast for Kentucky and I don't think anyone truly expected this kind of impact. He's been just as valuable if not more so than Wall for the Wildcats.

I got Wall, Turner, Cousins, Aminu, and Monroe as my top 5 currently. Greg Monroe showed a lot of heart today against Syracuse fighting for rebounds and attacking the basket. He has a similar game to Pau Gasol IMO. Great passing, solid mid-range game, and doesn't need too many touches to be active.

Turner is a better version of Terrence Williams. Complete all-around game. Scottie Pippen maybe?

Donatas and Favors are next on the list after the five I listed.

Oden was a better athlete than Cousins and its not even close..

oden1.jpg

Oden was also bigger than Cousins and was dominant defensively. Cousins is a great big man, but Oden just had rare tools that the game hadnt seen  in a while.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

You foolin' yourself Mike. Best post moves in college ball.

You don't grab as many rebounds as he does without good footwork and positioning.

co-sign...

and he's only playing like 21 min per night...so damn efficient.
The only post move I've seen out of son is the one where he throws his elbow and hooks the defender.  I guess that is great footwork...*shrugs*

He is a solid rebounder no doubt, but they are the biggest team in college basketball, makes it a lot easier for him.

The real question my friend, is why does Greg Oden suck? & why is he sending females buckneked pictures of himself?

Originally Posted by xR A I N M A Nx

The real question my friend, is why does Greg Oden suck? & why is he sending females buckneked pictures of himself?

roll.gif
yeah i couldnt agree more right now.. I think Cousins has good footwork..  I seen a game i forgot who they played but they tried to double team him and he split the double team with a spin move to the base line and scored the bucket..

cousins lacks great athleticism but he makes up for it with touch and footwork around the basket.

Back
Top Bottom