Why isnt Demarcus Cousins as hyped as Greg Oden was?

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Oden was a better athlete than Cousins and its not even close..

oden1.jpg

Oden was also bigger than Cousins and was dominant defensively. Cousins is a great big man, but Oden just had rare tools that the game hadnt seen  in a while.
Basically. Oden is a physical specimen - 7'0'' tall, a stout 285, with tremendous explosiveness for his size.
smh.gif
If only dude could stay healthy...

Originally Posted by xR A I N M A Nx

The real question my friend, is why does Greg Oden suck? & why is he sending females buckneked pictures of himself?

roll.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Cousins has great footwork? since when?
This.

He is also not extremely athletic or explosive.  On the next level he is Brendan Haywood/Erick Dampeir IMO
I like that comparison..
Honestly though.  Where was Cousins name when he was in  High school?  You look at what Oden did in high school, there is the hype. Add the fact that you look at a 7 footer who has Really good athleticism and is quick up and down the floor.. Tremendous shot blocker, great rebounder.  Lead your team to the college national championship. Add that to your high school hype and you have Greg oden.  Cousins was only a 5 star Big man unknown to those who have yet to watch him, until he played for Kentucky.  People talked more about Favors than Cousins, now it's the other way around.  His hype is coming around now.
I honestly don't see top 5 in him though.. Thats just me. I don't like his attitude though that's why
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Oden was a true 7-footer who was also a very, very good athlete.. He was an elite defensive player and rebounder who people thought had the potential to impact the offensive end down the line as well...

I like Cousins a lot more than some people... He doesn't have a great body and he's not very explosive or athletic, and red flags about his personality are still up in the air, but he's got some skill on the offensive end...

Zach Randolph, maybe?
Solid analysis. Cousins doesn't have nearly the potential Oden had at the same age. Athletically, there is no comparison. His hype has never been that great just because of his inconsistencies, attitude and at times lazy approach. People forget until this year, Cousins was getting his Dirk on all the time, spending more time on the perimeter than in the post. Despite that, just a few months of college ball and he's vaulted into the top 5/10 of the draft. I think he is getting his due.

Oden deserved the hype. He's bigger and undoubtedly more athletic than Cousins, was known to have a good attitude and work ethic, an undeniable defensive presence, and was THE guy for his teams without question. He also still managed to score without any offensive moves. Trust me...I've seen him play since he was a 9th grader at Lawrence North and his offense has remained the same.
laugh.gif

I personally think that the NBA tried to put too much weight on him too fast and his knees couldn't handle it. He was solid before he went down this year. I have faith. He's still a kid.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

Makes me wonder if Cousins was a likeable comedian type guy would he be more praised?
he is that guy...off the court.

img_0563-medium.jpg
cuspink.jpg

1:58 mark:

So what the difference between Oden's athleticism and umm....sam dalembert?
Oden had a basketballball IQ while Dalembert does not...plus he was cordinated which Dalembert isn't either.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

So what the difference between Oden's athleticism and umm....sam dalembert?
Oden had a basketballball IQ while Dalembert does not...plus he was cordinated which Dalembert isn't either.

was is the right word...its gone now..

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

**I love Wall's upside, but Turner is more NBA ready and will have a bigger impact.
i dont even buy that argument after watching DRose take ROY last season when Beasley struggled to transition right away and get big minutes #!*% had me
eek.gif
i thought itd be opposite.

I must admit though, from start to finish in a NCAA season ive RARELY seen a guy develop like Rose did his 1 year at Memphis. Dude stepped on the floor and you could see his
eek.gif
athletisism and signs of potential but dude looked raw as !+## and Memphis was just nice cause of CDR and #!*%, but by the end of the year and the tourny he was consistently Memphis' best player and was shooting better and was FAR more aggressive.

anyway Cousins is nice though, soy i got a little side tracked
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Oden was a true 7-footer who was also a very, very good athlete.. He was an elite defensive player and rebounder who people thought had the potential to impact the offensive end down the line as well...

I like Cousins a lot more than some people... He doesn't have a great body and he's not very explosive or athletic, and red flags about his personality are still up in the air, but he's got some skill on the offensive end...

Zach Randolph, maybe?
no wonder OP made the thread
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Oden was a better athlete than Cousins and its not even close..

oden1.jpg

Oden was also bigger than Cousins and was dominant defensively. Cousins is a great big man, but Oden just had rare tools that the game hadnt seen  in a while.
roll.gif
at the bench reaction...... Thank god he missed the dunk
laugh.gif
saved Jeff Green's career

People are confusing post knee injury Oden with Ohio state Oden, dude was a incredible athlete at 7 feet close to 260.

I think Greg Oden's vertical was measured at 34 inches, close to Dwight Howard and he was bigger and heavier in college.

Plus Oden was playing REALLY well beforehe gotinjured, he was already one of the best rebounders and shot blockers in the NBA.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

People are confusing post knee injury Oden with Ohio state Oden, dude was a incredible athlete at 7 feet close to 260.

Yup. Not even the champion-team Gators could stop Oden in college. He was the definition of an beast.

Originally Posted by 18key

Yup. Not even the champion-team Gators could stop Oden in college. He was the definition of an beast.
QFT...Oden dominated the paint in that title game...

Originally Posted by THE GR8

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

**I love Wall's upside, but Turner is more NBA ready and will have a bigger impact.
i dont even buy that argument after watching DRose take ROY last season when Beasley struggled to transition right away and get big minutes #!*% had me
eek.gif
i thought itd be opposite.

I must admit though, from start to finish in a NCAA season ive RARELY seen a guy develop like Rose did his 1 year at Memphis. Dude stepped on the floor and you could see his
eek.gif
athletisism and signs of potential but dude looked raw as !+## and Memphis was just nice cause of CDR and #!*%, but by the end of the year and the tourny he was consistently Memphis' best player and was shooting better and was FAR more aggressive.

anyway Cousins is nice though, soy i got a little side tracked
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
I'm not even sure what you're getting at by mentioning Beasley here...are you implying that Turner will have a rough transition because Beasley did?  Obviously they play to vastly different positions, but from a maturity/character/b-ball IQ standpoint there is ZERO comparison.  Beasley has a ridiculous skill-set, but if busted his *!! to know his defensive assignments and didn't take being in the NBA for granted there might not have been as many lows for him as we saw last season...

anyways....

We all know that Wall is a tremendous athlete and player, but in Turner, I'm seeing a guy who can have B.Roy type of #'s from the jump.  There may be more of a learning curve with Wall, so you just never know.  I think he's going to be a fantastic NBA player in due time, but I think Turner is the one guy who will probably go in the first 5 picks who will have an immediate impact for whatever team he is on next year. 

Plus Oden was playing REALLY well beforehe got injured, he was already one of the best rebounders and shot blockers in the NBA.
laugh.gif
  we had a LOOONGGG %&^*#! thread about Oden being a bust in the NBA and this dude says this.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Gameover2

Plus Oden was playing REALLY well beforehe got injured, he was already one of the best rebounders and shot blockers in the NBA.
laugh.gif
  we had a LOOONGGG %&^*#! thread about Oden being a bust in the NBA and this dude says this.
roll.gif

Okay? he's just stating what we were starting to see before he got injured again. I wouldn't say he was playing "REALLY" well but he was starting to show off the promise that he was hyped up as
pimp.gif

i'm still not seeing where Greg Oden was a "freak of nature" athletically.

shawn kemp, amare, shaq, dwight howard were freaks of nature.

i never drank the kool aid because he can chin up and dunk.
he was always a stronger emeka okafor. mechanical

Cousins is naturally agile. His footwork is superior to Oden's. Not even close. He has a knack for finishing after getting contact. He has great hands, period.

He does need to spend some time training to chisel that body and develop some more explosiveness. But with his natural gifts he doesn't need to. That is the biggest issue with him. We may never see him at his full potential, physically.

As far as him being a head case, that is all garbage. He is highly competitive, likes to talk smack, and more times than not, he delivers. Anyone saying these things about him would feel very differently if he was playing for their team.

laugh.gif
at Oden playing REALLY well. Wowzers.

I think it's a matter of timing as well. With all of the hype surrounding Oden followed by his "career" and then the same thing with Griffin the media will back off being burned again.
Switching sports for the sake of discussion, I think that this may be the reason Adrian Peterson wasn't nearly as hyped as Bush even though he panned out to be everything Bush was hyped to be.

Back
Top Bottom