Why isn't Ice Cube mentioned among the "GOATs"?

I'm not one to harp on who is the GOAT.  It's all opinion based.  But the lack of mention for Ice Cube in the upper echelon (with the Pac's, BIG's, Nas', and Jay's) of rap has always been puzzling to me.

He has more than one classic album.  He started an entire subgenre of rap music.  His topics were always substantial and diverse.  He spoke for the people and how they were feeling at the time.

And it's just always funny to me that Pac gets so much love for what IMO Cube did first and better.  I'm not gonna turn this into Cube > Pac but I'm sayin...

I lightweight feel you on this. Cube might could work his way into the bottom half of my top 10.

Originally Posted by capuT

probably because he sold out

this...

Not hating on it either. He is making stupid money but most folks can't take you serious any more when you do kids movies...

Pioneer, legend, etc. but how many classic albums does he truly have? he's made a lot of great music in his career (my favs of his being AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted and Death Certificate) but to me at some point you have to continue to get better from album to album, show some progression or evolution, creativity, switch it up a bit and Cube hasn't really done that. He's produced the same solid work but I can't seriously put him up there with Nas as GOAT.

Him selling out plays in to it since it really did take him away from music but just focusing on his music I can't knock him getting money other ways.

Why?

Because Cube never gave a consistent best effort. His newer music is laughable at times because he's become a caricature of himself. I know he still has the edge to him and still seems to be in touch with the culture and streets, but at his age, the stuff he raps about seems corny to me. "I Rep That West"??? So what. Rap about something your older audience can relate to and your younger audience will respect you for touching on.

There's so much he could say and doesn't. Let's not even mention how he could get the best production out there to make a classic and doesn't. He relies too much on pleasing a certain crowd. A true artist takes risks.

GOAT crown not awarded here.

And Cube is truely one of my favorite dudes in hip hop.

Ice is a GOAT. Definitely one of the forerunners in West Coast rap.
Have ya'll not heard

album-amerikkkas-most-wanted.jpg

music-ice-cube-the-predator.jpeg

Yeah.

I give him props for those and Lethal Injection (one of my favorite albums). I even have Amerikkka's and Bow Down on my iPOD. However, when dude became Don Mega and all that, he just got corny.

Cube is in my top 5! He was my favorite rapper before Pac came out.

BTW, just cause you venture into family movies to make more $$ doesn't mean you "sold out". Cube has always kept it real. Yall dudes need to learn the difference between acting and how a dude actually is in real life. Who's to say if Pac was still living, he wouldn't be doing family films by now? 
ohwell.gif

Cube is a Legend & Pioneer, but he went for the PG-13 audience. his newer music was cool but he can't rap about that stuff anymore and make Disney Money

Cube's one of my personal faves, probably the bottom half of my top 15. An angry focused Ice Cube >>>>
Some people may say he hasn't had anything good in awhile, then I'll point you to Laugh Now Cry Later, and
especially Raw Footage. Don't think it's his fault he's 42 (?), mature, a family man, and not fully concentrated on
hip hop.

I would say from 90-92/93, Cube would have to be considered top dog in the game. Two classics (and an ep), and one that is
ohwell.gif
grin.gif
 imo (Predator).

Pointing to his post movie star albums as a reason he isn't a GOAT is asinine to me. He clearly wasn't focused on rap anymore. He took five years off in the 90's after he had just gotten married. He was a family man by then. His whole life changed. He wasn't angry Ice Cube anymore. Judging him for that is like judging Jordan based on the Wizard years.

I think cube talked about the right things at the right time, with the right direction/production team.
which lead to classics.
not the greatest rapper though, or else his latter projects wouldn't have been so horrible.

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

Why?

Because Cube never gave a consistent best effort. His newer music is laughable at times because he's become a caricature of himself. I know he still has the edge to him and still seems to be in touch with the culture and streets, but at his age, the stuff he raps about seems corny to me. "I Rep That West"??? So what. Rap about something your older audience can relate to and your younger audience will respect you for touching on.

There's so much he could say and doesn't. Let's not even mention how he could get the best production out there to make a classic and doesn't. He relies too much on pleasing a certain crowd. A true artist takes risks.
I'm addressing the first bolded part first. The stuff he raps about seems corny to you? Ok, I will take that. But "I Rep That West" addressed your following sentence. Listening
to the song is something his older audience can relate to. He's letting you know what time it is as a 42 year old and at the same time letting the younger audience know what his foundation is, West Coast gangsta rap music.

Addressing the second bolded part- There's so much he could say and doesn't? What? Ice Cube has said EVERYTHING throughout his career. What more do you want him to say?
The man is old. He's not going to be in his Kill At Will/Death Certificate mode anymore. Wanting him to be like that after 20 years is unfair and not reasonable. No flame but come on
homey. Ice Cube is one of the GOATS and to even question that is mind blowin'. Just appreciate his past work and chill. Cube was/is/always will be a G.

*Plays My Summer Vacation*

Back
Top Bottom