Why ride fixed? Vol. Bike Parties

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by k0betw0

Originally Posted by calibeebee

To put it in simple terms
1. It's extremely fun.
2. It can be cheaper to build a fixie than a traditional single speed
3. It looks more aesthetically pleasing (less crap like brake levers and shifters and cables etc.)
4. They go faster

Do you have any specific questions? also there is a huge thread in general

" It can be cheaper to build a fixie than a traditional single speed"
WHAT THE %@%+ ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? It's cheaper to build a fixed gear? Why? Because it costs a whopping $20-50 bucks to buy a brake and a brake lever with some cable? Honestly, if your ability between cheap and expensive is under $50, go find another hobby.

"They go faster"
Again, what the hell are you talking about? How in the world is a fixed gear faster then a road bike? That is about the most asinine answer I've EVER heard. First, you don't even know what gear ratio you, him, me or anybody is running so you can't make a generalization that you'd be "faster." You wanna see who's faster on a 10% incline that's a mile long with your 48x16 gear ratio fixed gear vs my 20 speed road bike?

Aside from reason #3, your reasons are absolutely horrible.

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,
1. Because you cannot coast on a fixed gear, you understand the translation of your pedaling to the power you exert on a bike. If you're into cars, it's similar to base horsepower vs wheel horsepower.
2. It's a cleaner look (People like the look of simplicity)
3. It's cheaper to maintain. Less parts = less things that break = less things to fix. This was the original reason why many people would ride fixed. Because it can be cheaper than a ROAD bike due to less parts which was integral for bicycle messengers (who kind of started the whole fixed gear scene way back when).

Honestly, I ride both, know plenty of people who ride both, and after riding fixed for 3 years, I HATE riding my fixed bike compared to my road
roll.gif
Snob

People like you take the fun out of riding a bike.
that's ridiculous. I have more respect for him than any of you dudes who are locked into fixie mode. He obviously has a fixed gear bike, and a road bike, and understands the limitations of both. Use the best bike for the situation. Nothing wrong with any kind of bike be it fixed, road, mtb. Theyre all fun.

enjoy your kilo or pista.

1. It's extremely fun.
3. It looks more aesthetically pleasing (less crap like brake levers and shifters and cables etc.)
4. They go faster

WHAT THE %@%+ ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? It's cheaper to build a fixed gear? Why? Because it costs a whopping $20-50 bucks to buy a brake and a brake lever with some cable? Honestly, if your ability between cheap and expensive is under $50, go find another hobby.

"They go faster"
Again, what the hell are you talking about? How in the world is a fixed gear faster then a road bike? That is about the most asinine answer I've EVER heard. First, you don't even know what gear ratio you, him, me or anybody is running so you can't make a generalization that you'd be "faster." You wanna see who's faster on a 10% incline that's a mile long with your 48x16 gear ratio fixed gear vs my 20 speed road bike?

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,
1. Because you cannot coast on a fixed gear, you understand the translation of your pedaling to the power you exert on a bike. If you're into cars, it's similar to base horsepower vs wheel horsepower.
3. It's cheaper to maintain. Less parts = less things that break = less things to fix. This was the original reason why many people would ride fixed. Because it can be cheaper than a ROAD bike due to less parts which was integral for bicycle messengers (who kind of started the whole fixed gear scene way back when).

Honestly, I ride both, know plenty of people who ride both, and after riding fixed for 3 years, I HATE riding my fixed bike compared to my road
roll.gif
Snob

U just sound salty because I tell it how it is. Sorry, but I know plenty of people who ride fixed. In fact, I know more fixed then more road bikes. I started riding fixed and swore off road bikes up until a year ago. I bought my first road bike 1 month ago. I honestly have a LOT to thank to the fixed gear community for teaching me about bicycle awareness, the benefits of riding, and taking my narrow point of view and making me see things in a much different light. You just salty because your bike looks worse then mine and I ride NJS. It's coo dude, I started with a Kilo TT too. Don't believe me? BikesDirect copied my paint job

This was my first fixed gear from early 2008....
pm.JPG

just remember that whenever you see a purple mercier kilo tt, this was the bike that started it all...

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

"They go faster"

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,

roll.gif
Snob

U just sound salty because I tell it how it is. Sorry, but I know plenty of people who ride fixed. In fact, I know more fixed then more road bikes. I started riding fixed and swore off road bikes up until a year ago. I bought my first road bike 1 month ago. I honestly have a LOT to thank to the fixed gear community for teaching me about bicycle awareness, the benefits of riding, and taking my narrow point of view and making me see things in a much different light. You just salty because your bike looks worse then mine and I ride NJS. It's coo dude, I started with a Kilo TT too. Don't believe me? BikesDirect copied my paint job

This was my first fixed gear from early 2008....
pm.JPG

just remember that whenever you see a purple mercier kilo tt, this was the bike that started it all...

Originally Posted by itz rOLLi

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

"They go faster"

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,

roll.gif
Snob

that's ridiculous. I have more respect for him than any of you dudes who are locked into fixie mode. He obviously has a fixed gear bike, and a road bike, and understands the limitations of both. Use the best bike for the situation. Nothing wrong with any kind of bike be it fixed, road, mtb. Theyre all fun.

That's fine, and I completely agree. They are all fun.

He could have said all that without the shtty tone of voice, caps lock, and overall condescension. How you gonna be a forum admin and talk to people like that? No better than iss if that's the case. THAT'S the snobbish part.

Dude's points aren't even completely wrong. No. 2 is almost exactly what that other guy said in the first place about it being cheaper, albeit 50 bucks, and a whole lot cheaper than a road bike. Cheaper is cheaper. No 1 and 4 are debatable and depend on the rider, and No 3 is spot on.... hardly enough reason to go off on the dude.

And by "you dudes" I KNOW you're not talking directly to me, because you don't know me from a hole in the wall. I'll let that pass.

And for the record, I know GRIPS of people who have just as much fun on their "Pista or Kilo" as you dudes do on your Panasonic NJS frames and 300 drivetrains, myself included. Who are you to tell them otherwise?

You just salty because your bike looks worse then mine and I ride NJS. It's coo dude, I started with a Kilo TT too. Don't believe me? BikesDirect copied my paint

snobbery

...and by the way, you've got some nice bikes. I mean it.

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

"They go faster"

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,

roll.gif
Snob

He could have said all that without the shtty tone of voice, caps lock, and overall condescension. How you gonna be a forum admin and talk to people like that? No better than iss if that's the case. THAT'S the snobbish part.

Dude's points aren't even completely wrong. No. 2 is almost exactly what that other guy said in the first place about it being cheaper, albeit 50 bucks, and a whole lot cheaper than a road bike. Cheaper is cheaper. No 1 and 4 are debatable and depend on the rider, and No 3 is spot on.... hardly enough reason to go off on the dude.

And by "you dudes" I KNOW you're not talking directly to me, because you don't know me from a hole in the wall. I'll let that pass.

And for the record, I know GRIPS of people who have just as much fun on their "Pista or Kilo" as you dudes do on your Panasonic NJS frames and 300 drivetrains, myself included. Who are you to tell them otherwise?

You just salty because your bike looks worse then mine and I ride NJS. It's coo dude, I started with a Kilo TT too. Don't believe me? BikesDirect copied my paint

snobbery

...and by the way, you've got some nice bikes. I mean it.

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

"They go faster"

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,

roll.gif
Snob

I WILL NEVER TRASH dudes who ride a "less" bike. To be perfectly honest, I absolutely love seeing someone ride A bike. ANY BIKE (unless its a singlespeed and ur trying to front as a fixed) and I could care less if anyone is riding a Pista, Kilo, a Leader, or a conversion. Frankly, I could even less if I see another dude that rides NJS, Colnagos, Cinellis, or Waterfords. A bike is a bike and at the end of the day, I think society is better off riding one every once in awhile. Only reason I "went off" on the guy is because he's misinforming the original poster. The whole "cheaper is cheaper" isn't valid whatsoever. If something is 1 cent cheaper, it's truly cheaper. That dude was trying to contend that he would be saving money like he could go buy a pair of nike SBs. Going from singlespeed to fixed and saving money is a pretty dumb idea. Going from road to fixed to save money makes perfect sense (as I explained earlier). My overall condescension is towards the guy who's misinforming someone who might be looking into riding fixed gear. You don't let someone constantly go off talking about how his fake kicks are dope and SMU without stopping them and correcting the dude's "knowledge" do you? You don't go around letting someone misinform someone do you? If you don't, that's cool, but I make it a point that if I see some pretty blatant misinformation being spread, I try to drop a little knowledge if I know any. If that sounds condescending, so be it. I see it as spreading knowledge.

Seriously, I know rolli knows people that ride pretty seriously and I know a few myself. At the end of the day, ride because it's fun, but know what you're getting yourself into and if you don't know, learn a few things before you open your yap (you as a collective, not you as a specific).

Ride hard and be safe.

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

"They go faster"

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,

roll.gif
Snob

I WILL NEVER TRASH dudes who ride a "less" bike. To be perfectly honest, I absolutely love seeing someone ride A bike. ANY BIKE (unless its a singlespeed and ur trying to front as a fixed) and I could care less if anyone is riding a Pista, Kilo, a Leader, or a conversion. Frankly, I could even less if I see another dude that rides NJS, Colnagos, Cinellis, or Waterfords. A bike is a bike and at the end of the day, I think society is better off riding one every once in awhile. Only reason I "went off" on the guy is because he's misinforming the original poster. The whole "cheaper is cheaper" isn't valid whatsoever. If something is 1 cent cheaper, it's truly cheaper. That dude was trying to contend that he would be saving money like he could go buy a pair of nike SBs. Going from singlespeed to fixed and saving money is a pretty dumb idea. Going from road to fixed to save money makes perfect sense (as I explained earlier). My overall condescension is towards the guy who's misinforming someone who might be looking into riding fixed gear. You don't let someone constantly go off talking about how his fake kicks are dope and SMU without stopping them and correcting the dude's "knowledge" do you? You don't go around letting someone misinform someone do you? If you don't, that's cool, but I make it a point that if I see some pretty blatant misinformation being spread, I try to drop a little knowledge if I know any. If that sounds condescending, so be it. I see it as spreading knowledge.

Seriously, I know rolli knows people that ride pretty seriously and I know a few myself. At the end of the day, ride because it's fun, but know what you're getting yourself into and if you don't know, learn a few things before you open your yap (you as a collective, not you as a specific).

Ride hard and be safe.

actually K2theAblaM, it's not snobbery. bikesdirect blatantly copied my paint job. they started to sell that same color at the end of 2008 (it's actually the reason why i ordered the panasonic). me callin you salty is me just being a #@+%. not snobbery
smile.gif

actually K2theAblaM, it's not snobbery. bikesdirect blatantly copied my paint job. they started to sell that same color at the end of 2008 (it's actually the reason why i ordered the panasonic). me callin you salty is me just being a #@+%. not snobbery
smile.gif

The number one reason why I ride fixed and always will have a fixed gear bike is that it is quite simply the best for city riding.

The ability to control the speed with your legs in traffic is a godsend. I also ride fixed with two brakes, the ability to stop on a dime allows you more control over the bike and because of that be faster. And skidding is stupid, my tires are way too expensive for that nonsense. I also ride fat tires, because not having to worry about crappy roads pinch flatting me also allows me to ride a bit more reckless
laugh.gif

The number one reason why I ride fixed and always will have a fixed gear bike is that it is quite simply the best for city riding.

The ability to control the speed with your legs in traffic is a godsend. I also ride fixed with two brakes, the ability to stop on a dime allows you more control over the bike and because of that be faster. And skidding is stupid, my tires are way too expensive for that nonsense. I also ride fat tires, because not having to worry about crappy roads pinch flatting me also allows me to ride a bit more reckless
laugh.gif

yeah but you ride city rolli. i live in the suburbs and i don tneed to worry with city traffic like how you do in sf (if memory serves me right, u live in sf right?). i just ride mtb clipless on my road and just spin out. im thinkin of undusting the fixed though...

yeah but you ride city rolli. i live in the suburbs and i don tneed to worry with city traffic like how you do in sf (if memory serves me right, u live in sf right?). i just ride mtb clipless on my road and just spin out. im thinkin of undusting the fixed though...

actually K2theAblaM, it's not snobbery. bikesdirect blatantly copied my paint job. they started to sell that same color at the end of 2008 (it's actually the reason why i ordered the panasonic). [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]me callin you salty is me just being a #@+%. not snobbery [/color]
smile.gif
Toe-may-toe, Toe-mah-toe

Ride hard and be safe.
I can definitely get down with this. Peace.

actually K2theAblaM, it's not snobbery. bikesdirect blatantly copied my paint job. they started to sell that same color at the end of 2008 (it's actually the reason why i ordered the panasonic). [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]me callin you salty is me just being a #@+%. not snobbery [/color]
smile.gif
Toe-may-toe, Toe-mah-toe

Ride hard and be safe.
I can definitely get down with this. Peace.

I actually grew up an avid bmx racer. Then I got into road bikes. I used a road bike for about 4 years. Rode to work, rode around town yada yada. I found that I was only using about 2 gears though and so it just got boring. Other than the couple of races I did, I wasn't really having fun on my road bike. I got into mtb a little but too dirty for me lol. But anyways Just found fixed gears more fun I guess. The reasons that I gave earlier were very basic reasons why some people get into fixed gears. I'm not trying to preach obviously. Also I'm not going to be ******ed and try and argue drag coefficient or some crap like that.

But you do have others that get into fixed gear riding because they saw some hipster that looked cool so they wanted to look cool too. To each his own I guess. The moral of the story is, do what you like, not what others like.

I actually grew up an avid bmx racer. Then I got into road bikes. I used a road bike for about 4 years. Rode to work, rode around town yada yada. I found that I was only using about 2 gears though and so it just got boring. Other than the couple of races I did, I wasn't really having fun on my road bike. I got into mtb a little but too dirty for me lol. But anyways Just found fixed gears more fun I guess. The reasons that I gave earlier were very basic reasons why some people get into fixed gears. I'm not trying to preach obviously. Also I'm not going to be ******ed and try and argue drag coefficient or some crap like that.

But you do have others that get into fixed gear riding because they saw some hipster that looked cool so they wanted to look cool too. To each his own I guess. The moral of the story is, do what you like, not what others like.

Back
Top Bottom