Why ride fixed? Vol. Bike Parties

Originally Posted by calibeebee

I actually grew up an avid bmx racer. Then I got into road bikes. I used a road bike for about 4 years. Rode to work, rode around town yada yada. I found that I was only using about 2 gears though and so it just got boring. Other than the couple of races I did, I wasn't really having fun on my road bike. I got into mtb a little but too dirty for me lol. But anyways Just found fixed gears more fun I guess. The reasons that I gave earlier were very basic reasons why some people get into fixed gears. I'm not trying to preach obviously. Also I'm not going to be ******ed and try and argue drag coefficient or some crap like that.

But you do have others that get into fixed gear riding because they saw some hipster that looked cool so they wanted to look cool too. To each his own I guess. The moral of the story is, do what you like, not what others like.
BEST THING THAT COULD POSSIBLY HAVE BEEN SAID IN THIS THREAD

Originally Posted by calibeebee

I actually grew up an avid bmx racer. Then I got into road bikes. I used a road bike for about 4 years. Rode to work, rode around town yada yada. I found that I was only using about 2 gears though and so it just got boring. Other than the couple of races I did, I wasn't really having fun on my road bike. I got into mtb a little but too dirty for me lol. But anyways Just found fixed gears more fun I guess. The reasons that I gave earlier were very basic reasons why some people get into fixed gears. I'm not trying to preach obviously. Also I'm not going to be ******ed and try and argue drag coefficient or some crap like that.

But you do have others that get into fixed gear riding because they saw some hipster that looked cool so they wanted to look cool too. To each his own I guess. The moral of the story is, do what you like, not what others like.
BEST THING THAT COULD POSSIBLY HAVE BEEN SAID IN THIS THREAD

Downhill > Fixed Gear
tongue.gif

I live in the middle of downtown Calgary and ride my POS Specialized Big Hit everywhere...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Teymur85

i will never comprehend how anyone can ride without breaks. i dont care how great of a rider you are, some things are out of your control. If a car runs a stop sign, or if another biker is turning the corner, or if a pedestrian doesnt see you, you have to have breaks.

It is incredibly stupid. I rode fixed for a 18 months or until a while back and I always had a front "brake". It's just dumb to say that you can stop as quickly by skidding - it's simple physics that you can't.

What's worse is that there a couple of kids around here who ride freestyle bmx bikes with no brakes - and a freewheel. Their only method of slowing down is to rub the sole of their shoe on the tyre or drag their feet on the ground. It's pretty hilly around me and I've seen them come pretty close a bunch of times - just going straight across junctions because they couldn't do anything else.

Originally Posted by Teymur85

i will never comprehend how anyone can ride without breaks. i dont care how great of a rider you are, some things are out of your control. If a car runs a stop sign, or if another biker is turning the corner, or if a pedestrian doesnt see you, you have to have breaks.

It is incredibly stupid. I rode fixed for a 18 months or until a while back and I always had a front "brake". It's just dumb to say that you can stop as quickly by skidding - it's simple physics that you can't.

What's worse is that there a couple of kids around here who ride freestyle bmx bikes with no brakes - and a freewheel. Their only method of slowing down is to rub the sole of their shoe on the tyre or drag their feet on the ground. It's pretty hilly around me and I've seen them come pretty close a bunch of times - just going straight across junctions because they couldn't do anything else.

fixies have recently been gaining popularity in my area, mainly due to hype of having one.
as for myself I thought it was stupid, rode my cousins and like it more than a road bike
We have bike parties every month and A LOT of people go out for that.

fixies have recently been gaining popularity in my area, mainly due to hype of having one.
as for myself I thought it was stupid, rode my cousins and like it more than a road bike
We have bike parties every month and A LOT of people go out for that.

Back
Top Bottom