Why the sneaker game will never be the same.

When we got info today about the Cool Grey's and there 175 price tag I started to think about how things are changing/have changed in just a few short years. 
This is going to be a little bit of a mini rant, so before you post "cool story bro" or "IBTL" or what ever is the trendy new saying here. You guys can stop here. This is nosot a complaint about quality or materials so lets please not go there. 

As an older head I still remember when the 100 dollars we had to scrape up to get the newest Jordan shoe, and how it was a big deal to have them. Now we have kids getting mom and dad to camp out all night and readily charge the 175 plus tax to there credit card. 

We also see everything so damn early does anyone else remember going to the shoe store to see what the newest Jordan looked like or getting the eastbay in the mail and geeking out over the new shoe on the cover? How about the feeling you got the first time you saw the Jordan V, I swear me and my brother thought Nike went into the future and brought back the future of basketball shoes with the clear sole, the lace lock, and the awesome mesh on the side panel. and then going and begging my mom if she could get them for me. When she said no, my brother and me started thinking about how many lawns we were gonna have to mow to get our shoes. and we mowed lawns and raked leaves til we could get them. 

Stories like these will never happen again, with all of the hypebeasts, and seeing everything 6 months before it comes out. Not to sound like an elitist, but I dont really see the draw to Jordan brand for all of these kids that never even saw Mike play or if they did he was in a Wizards uni. Good God almighty I cant wait for the Jordan fad to pass. With all this said, Ill still probably end up with the Cool Grey's, but Ill either have to camp out for them, get lucky on the internet, or pay reseller prices. All the mean while some 15 year old kid in his skinny Jeans will camp out. Or some guy will drop 2 grand and resell everything he gets. The Sneaker game is in a sad state. Post here if you agree.

When we got info today about the Cool Grey's and there 175 price tag I started to think about how things are changing/have changed in just a few short years. 
This is going to be a little bit of a mini rant, so before you post "cool story bro" or "IBTL" or what ever is the trendy new saying here. You guys can stop here. This is nosot a complaint about quality or materials so lets please not go there. 

As an older head I still remember when the 100 dollars we had to scrape up to get the newest Jordan shoe, and how it was a big deal to have them. Now we have kids getting mom and dad to camp out all night and readily charge the 175 plus tax to there credit card. 

We also see everything so damn early does anyone else remember going to the shoe store to see what the newest Jordan looked like or getting the eastbay in the mail and geeking out over the new shoe on the cover? How about the feeling you got the first time you saw the Jordan V, I swear me and my brother thought Nike went into the future and brought back the future of basketball shoes with the clear sole, the lace lock, and the awesome mesh on the side panel. and then going and begging my mom if she could get them for me. When she said no, my brother and me started thinking about how many lawns we were gonna have to mow to get our shoes. and we mowed lawns and raked leaves til we could get them. 

Stories like these will never happen again, with all of the hypebeasts, and seeing everything 6 months before it comes out. Not to sound like an elitist, but I dont really see the draw to Jordan brand for all of these kids that never even saw Mike play or if they did he was in a Wizards uni. Good God almighty I cant wait for the Jordan fad to pass. With all this said, Ill still probably end up with the Cool Grey's, but Ill either have to camp out for them, get lucky on the internet, or pay reseller prices. All the mean while some 15 year old kid in his skinny Jeans will camp out. Or some guy will drop 2 grand and resell everything he gets. The Sneaker game is in a sad state. Post here if you agree.

i totally agree i mean im only 19 but i started collecting seriously when i was 14 my dad has been since 91 so i got it from him and as i was a kid i watched him in his later years on the bulls and i used to be obsessed with him(no #%+% fo rthe ppl who take it that way) i had his collegne lol and every card i still do and i was in his newest releases all the time and i still collect alot of originals i apreciate jordan s for wha they are not cuz i see the cool kid in school wearing them and i ask my mom and dad to buy them i actually have 4 jobs so i can buy them if i want but lately im very dis plkeased with alot of the stuff they are producing

i totally agree i mean im only 19 but i started collecting seriously when i was 14 my dad has been since 91 so i got it from him and as i was a kid i watched him in his later years on the bulls and i used to be obsessed with him(no #%+% fo rthe ppl who take it that way) i had his collegne lol and every card i still do and i was in his newest releases all the time and i still collect alot of originals i apreciate jordan s for wha they are not cuz i see the cool kid in school wearing them and i ask my mom and dad to buy them i actually have 4 jobs so i can buy them if i want but lately im very dis plkeased with alot of the stuff they are producing

It chagnes coming up I would come on niketalk to see the leak of the lebrons and thought it was the best thing ever. Some people are in it cause of hype others are in it cause they love it. The past couple of years hype has had me questioning myself and Ive been loving shoes since i was in kindergarten! (im talking when my jawns use to light up.)lol! But I think now you have to put more thought into what you wear. Because back in the 90's when I was in the 3rd grade if you had on a pair of jordan 13s you where the man nuff said. Now its if you have a certain quickstirke or hot release (RETROS) thats the stuff now. I think if you take your time to do your history as to why you fell in love with sneakers the hype want bother you as much. But like my mother would say when she could'nt buy me a a pair I really felt I need it "At the end of the day there just shoes"lol!

It chagnes coming up I would come on niketalk to see the leak of the lebrons and thought it was the best thing ever. Some people are in it cause of hype others are in it cause they love it. The past couple of years hype has had me questioning myself and Ive been loving shoes since i was in kindergarten! (im talking when my jawns use to light up.)lol! But I think now you have to put more thought into what you wear. Because back in the 90's when I was in the 3rd grade if you had on a pair of jordan 13s you where the man nuff said. Now its if you have a certain quickstirke or hot release (RETROS) thats the stuff now. I think if you take your time to do your history as to why you fell in love with sneakers the hype want bother you as much. But like my mother would say when she could'nt buy me a a pair I really felt I need it "At the end of the day there just shoes"lol!

I absolutely agree with you my man...
126426832684.gif

young kids had their moms stand in line and cop back in the day too, this is no new phenomenon.

And kids still beg their moms to buy them shoes.

Inflation has made the price go up, we get paid more than we used to also.

young kids had their moms stand in line and cop back in the day too, this is no new phenomenon.

And kids still beg their moms to buy them shoes.

Inflation has made the price go up, we get paid more than we used to also.

TheAdiMac wrote: 
How about the feeling you got the first time you saw the Jordan V, I swear me and my brother thought Nike went into the future and brought back the future of basketball shoes with the clear sole, the lace lock, and the awesome mesh on the side panel. and then going and begging my mom if she could get them for me. When she said no, my brother and me started thinking about how many lawns we were gonna have to mow to get our shoes. and we mowed lawns and raked leaves til we could get them. 

Stories like these will never happen again, 

It will never be the same my friend, and the nostalgia of Jordan is slowly dying as I get older.  
tired.gif

TheAdiMac wrote: 
How about the feeling you got the first time you saw the Jordan V, I swear me and my brother thought Nike went into the future and brought back the future of basketball shoes with the clear sole, the lace lock, and the awesome mesh on the side panel. and then going and begging my mom if she could get them for me. When she said no, my brother and me started thinking about how many lawns we were gonna have to mow to get our shoes. and we mowed lawns and raked leaves til we could get them. 

It will never be the same my friend, and the nostalgia of Jordan is slowly dying as I get older.  
tired.gif

another reason is because everyone is a "shoe-head"
If you haven't been collecting kicks 7 + years, you've jumped on the bandwagon
100 times more sneakerheads in just a short amount of time
indifferent.gif

another reason is because everyone is a "shoe-head"
If you haven't been collecting kicks 7 + years, you've jumped on the bandwagon
100 times more sneakerheads in just a short amount of time
indifferent.gif

The sad thing about the sneaker game today is the influence people all over the world...or a forum can influence the decision of certain people as to whether a shoe is hot or not. They may think that some shoes are awesome but since 80% of the opinions they see are "this is trash, this sucks, this shoe is not OG" then he will most likely not pick it up. It makes the possibility for the creation of new material for jordan sneakers into trash because they ain't OG. And I also believe that a true sneakerhead will go through a lot of $!+* just to obtain his pairs, not only asking his mom or dad for cash. He'd work odd jobs, mow lawns, sell his old shirts, ...and the like. They'd treasure their hard earned pairs and either rock them to death or store them and pray to them at night.

The sad thing about the sneaker game today is the influence people all over the world...or a forum can influence the decision of certain people as to whether a shoe is hot or not. They may think that some shoes are awesome but since 80% of the opinions they see are "this is trash, this sucks, this shoe is not OG" then he will most likely not pick it up. It makes the possibility for the creation of new material for jordan sneakers into trash because they ain't OG. And I also believe that a true sneakerhead will go through a lot of $!+* just to obtain his pairs, not only asking his mom or dad for cash. He'd work odd jobs, mow lawns, sell his old shirts, ...and the like. They'd treasure their hard earned pairs and either rock them to death or store them and pray to them at night.

I've been alive for all release (and before
frown.gif
) and I can honestly say, "no".  It used to be about the shoes, but now it's all about the image.  New designs are uninspired and of poor quality.  Retro's are just a way to bring back some of that nostalgia with an inflated price and abysmal quality.

I've been alive for all release (and before
frown.gif
) and I can honestly say, "no".  It used to be about the shoes, but now it's all about the image.  New designs are uninspired and of poor quality.  Retro's are just a way to bring back some of that nostalgia with an inflated price and abysmal quality.

Originally Posted by nanbeezy

TheAdiMac wrote: 

tired.gif

Sad but true.

Back
Top Bottom