Why the sneaker game will never be the same.

Originally Posted by nanbeezy

TheAdiMac wrote: 
How about the feeling you got the first time you saw the Jordan V, I swear me and my brother thought Nike went into the future and brought back the future of basketball shoes with the clear sole, the lace lock, and the awesome mesh on the side panel. and then going and begging my mom if she could get them for me. When she said no, my brother and me started thinking about how many lawns we were gonna have to mow to get our shoes. and we mowed lawns and raked leaves til we could get them. 

Stories like these will never happen again, 

It will never be the same my friend, and the nostalgia of Jordan is slowly dying as I get older.  
tired.gif

Sad but true.

Originally Posted by Chief Ediri

Originally Posted by swishasweets

Ahh the bi weekly "sneaker game" complain thread

QFT.

You guys are bitter, its a new generation.  Things are bound to change.
I dont think it's about being "bitter". Older collectors understand that it's a "new generation", but the idea is to carry on the legacy, not to tarnish it or completely destroy it.

To the OP: there are still some kids who have to hustle for what they want...given, parents buying shoes of that value may be the "norm" now, but every kid doesn't have things handed to them on a silver platter. Some have jobs, allowance, or just a "get up and go" mentality and scrape the change together.

As far as the "decline" goes, this didn't happen overnight. JB can only take so much blame for it, as the vast majority of it is to be "blamed" on the consumer. Nike/JB has taken the slogan "if you build it, they will come" to all new heights, as we've taken in everything they've dished out: LS, Quickstrikes, "Rare Air", Collezione packs, etc...they set these products/lines up to see how far they can go, and they've had success every time. So, who's really to blame: them for making it, or us for purchasing it? 

On the reselling thing: That's a never-ending debate with no right or wrong answer. I've been reselling before reselling became "the thing to do". For me, it was a way to earn quick cash, and to pay for my own pair(s)...why the hell would I pass up on that? People on here will knock the next person for doing it, but if we're in a diff.city, how is what I'm doing affecting YOU?! The only thing I can say is, get there early (which is something I've ALWAYS had to do, even in the 90's), and try to form relationships with employees/managers. There should be no way a reseller walks out with 20+ pairs and you can't get one. Personally, some people despise what I do cause they think I took a pair from them, and some love me cause without me, they wouldn't have had that pair in the first place. All depends on which way you want to look at it.

Also, this "Jordan fad" isn't going anywhere, so the only thing I can say is get used to it. This discussion has gone on numerous times, and people have predicted the downfall/loss of popularity with JB since '03, and they've had record-breaking profits every year...this year being one of them.

Originally Posted by Chief Ediri

QFT.

You guys are bitter, its a new generation.  Things are bound to change.
I dont think it's about being "bitter". Older collectors understand that it's a "new generation", but the idea is to carry on the legacy, not to tarnish it or completely destroy it.

To the OP: there are still some kids who have to hustle for what they want...given, parents buying shoes of that value may be the "norm" now, but every kid doesn't have things handed to them on a silver platter. Some have jobs, allowance, or just a "get up and go" mentality and scrape the change together.

As far as the "decline" goes, this didn't happen overnight. JB can only take so much blame for it, as the vast majority of it is to be "blamed" on the consumer. Nike/JB has taken the slogan "if you build it, they will come" to all new heights, as we've taken in everything they've dished out: LS, Quickstrikes, "Rare Air", Collezione packs, etc...they set these products/lines up to see how far they can go, and they've had success every time. So, who's really to blame: them for making it, or us for purchasing it? 

On the reselling thing: That's a never-ending debate with no right or wrong answer. I've been reselling before reselling became "the thing to do". For me, it was a way to earn quick cash, and to pay for my own pair(s)...why the hell would I pass up on that? People on here will knock the next person for doing it, but if we're in a diff.city, how is what I'm doing affecting YOU?! The only thing I can say is, get there early (which is something I've ALWAYS had to do, even in the 90's), and try to form relationships with employees/managers. There should be no way a reseller walks out with 20+ pairs and you can't get one. Personally, some people despise what I do cause they think I took a pair from them, and some love me cause without me, they wouldn't have had that pair in the first place. All depends on which way you want to look at it.

Also, this "Jordan fad" isn't going anywhere, so the only thing I can say is get used to it. This discussion has gone on numerous times, and people have predicted the downfall/loss of popularity with JB since '03, and they've had record-breaking profits every year...this year being one of them.

OP I feel where ya coming from. I'm 26 and I grew up during the golden age of shoe game. It has changed, and for the worst in my opinion. Not just hypebeasts killed the game, but Nike/JB can divide the blame as well.

I just buy what I like nowadays.

OP I feel where ya coming from. I'm 26 and I grew up during the golden age of shoe game. It has changed, and for the worst in my opinion. Not just hypebeasts killed the game, but Nike/JB can divide the blame as well.

roll.gif
roll.gif
 Word just appreciate them while they are still around Im happy jordans are still around for me to cop for my daughter

roll.gif
roll.gif
 Word just appreciate them while they are still around Im happy jordans are still around for me to cop for my daughter

Funny thing is Fusions are a big deal to the consumer. They cop those without hesitation.

Funny thing is Fusions are a big deal to the consumer. They cop those without hesitation.

Originally Posted by Steve212

That's cause we think that the world's opinion should revolve around this board.

That's cause we think that the world's opinion should revolve around this board.

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

You mean it doesn't?  I read in the rules when signing up here that it would. 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

You mean it doesn't?  I read in the rules when signing up here that it would. 
roll.gif

I agree 100% as a older head myself who grew up in the CHI watching the man himself play. Watching when he pulled out new pair for the playoffs etc. I always had a FTL connect growing up but the problem was not having the cash for those lower prices back then. I remember having a movado watch that i found which back in the days was worth alot more than a pair of Jays. I had to have the Playoff XIIs so i traded it off to my connect and had my XIIs to rock for my HS Stay. Rocked them hard too. I remember when we used to walk in sports authority with beaters on try on the Jays and put the old pair in the box and walk out. Yeah that was back in the days when they used to be on the shelf for you to grab yourself. Kids nowadays cop early for ridiculous prices and dont even wear the shoes. Me myself love my Jays and understand the price of inflation, but got damn. Jays will forever be apart of me and no matter where JB heads imma always cop me something.

I agree 100% as a older head myself who grew up in the CHI watching the man himself play. Watching when he pulled out new pair for the playoffs etc. I always had a FTL connect growing up but the problem was not having the cash for those lower prices back then. I remember having a movado watch that i found which back in the days was worth alot more than a pair of Jays. I had to have the Playoff XIIs so i traded it off to my connect and had my XIIs to rock for my HS Stay. Rocked them hard too. I remember when we used to walk in sports authority with beaters on try on the Jays and put the old pair in the box and walk out. Yeah that was back in the days when they used to be on the shelf for you to grab yourself. Kids nowadays cop early for ridiculous prices and dont even wear the shoes. Me myself love my Jays and understand the price of inflation, but got damn. Jays will forever be apart of me and no matter where JB heads imma always cop me something.

But you know what it has died down, it's only a handful of shoes now that really garner the waiting in line business anymore. As long as there's an XI on the box it will always be impossible to get but past that unless it's a quickstrike or limited these days, any Jordan release is pretty darn easy to get. I mean look at the Carolina IX's. This is the first time ever retroed and for years I've seen people on here asking for it and it finally comes out and there was no reason to wait in line as it stayed online at Eastbay and Finishline for a few weeks. Even look at the white/red VI's. Granted they're not "infared" like the originals but they're still pretty darn close and those are still everywhere in store and online. But put that shoe out three years ago and you have a frenzy and it's gone first day with internet sites crashing. JB successfully flooded the market with so many fusions and look-a-likes that pretty much any shoe these days is an easy cop.

But I do feel you in that the fun of getting a new pair is gone because back in the 90's only a handful of shoes came out every year and it was just one shoe in different colors and all those colors meant something. Now you get 10 plus releases a month and they're all whatever. So in that respect that's what I think killed it for me. I will still buy a few retros here and there, like the Cement III's next year definitely, but for me I've slowed down a lot. The last Jordan release I got was the Space Jams and I'm not waiting in line like that again. So now if it's something I really want and I can't get it relatively easy it's just not worth it. I'm too old for this.

But you know what it has died down, it's only a handful of shoes now that really garner the waiting in line business anymore. As long as there's an XI on the box it will always be impossible to get but past that unless it's a quickstrike or limited these days, any Jordan release is pretty darn easy to get. I mean look at the Carolina IX's. This is the first time ever retroed and for years I've seen people on here asking for it and it finally comes out and there was no reason to wait in line as it stayed online at Eastbay and Finishline for a few weeks. Even look at the white/red VI's. Granted they're not "infared" like the originals but they're still pretty darn close and those are still everywhere in store and online. But put that shoe out three years ago and you have a frenzy and it's gone first day with internet sites crashing. JB successfully flooded the market with so many fusions and look-a-likes that pretty much any shoe these days is an easy cop.

But I do feel you in that the fun of getting a new pair is gone because back in the 90's only a handful of shoes came out every year and it was just one shoe in different colors and all those colors meant something. Now you get 10 plus releases a month and they're all whatever. So in that respect that's what I think killed it for me. I will still buy a few retros here and there, like the Cement III's next year definitely, but for me I've slowed down a lot. The last Jordan release I got was the Space Jams and I'm not waiting in line like that again. So now if it's something I really want and I can't get it relatively easy it's just not worth it. I'm too old for this.

Originally Posted by TheAdiMac

When we got info today about the Cool Grey's and there 175 price tag I started to think about how things are changing/have changed in just a few short years. 
This is going to be a little bit of a mini rant, so before you post "cool story bro" or "IBTL" or what ever is the trendy new saying here. You guys can stop here. This is nosot a complaint about quality or materials so lets please not go there. 

As an older head I still remember when the 100 dollars we had to scrape up to get the newest Jordan shoe, and how it was a big deal to have them. Now we have kids getting mom and dad to camp out all night and readily charge the 175 plus tax to there credit card. 

We also see everything so damn early does anyone else remember going to the shoe store to see what the newest Jordan looked like or getting the eastbay in the mail and geeking out over the new shoe on the cover? How about the feeling you got the first time you saw the Jordan V, I swear me and my brother thought Nike went into the future and brought back the future of basketball shoes with the clear sole, the lace lock, and the awesome mesh on the side panel. and then going and begging my mom if she could get them for me. When she said no, my brother and me started thinking about how many lawns we were gonna have to mow to get our shoes. and we mowed lawns and raked leaves til we could get them. 

Stories like these will never happen again, with all of the hypebeasts, and seeing everything 6 months before it comes out. Not to sound like an elitist, but I dont really see the draw to Jordan brand for all of these kids that never even saw Mike play or if they did he was in a Wizards uni. Good God almighty I cant wait for the Jordan fad to pass. With all this said, Ill still probably end up with the Cool Grey's, but Ill either have to camp out for them, get lucky on the internet, or pay reseller prices. All the mean while some 15 year old kid in his skinny Jeans will camp out. Or some guy will drop 2 grand and resell everything he gets. The Sneaker game is in a sad state. Post here if you agree.
this is called the internet, welcome to the era of the computer, it has made the world a much smaller place, so small that you dont have to wait for eastbay to come in the mail you can hop on jordans website and look it up.

Originally Posted by TheAdiMac

When we got info today about the Cool Grey's and there 175 price tag I started to think about how things are changing/have changed in just a few short years. 
This is going to be a little bit of a mini rant, so before you post "cool story bro" or "IBTL" or what ever is the trendy new saying here. You guys can stop here. This is nosot a complaint about quality or materials so lets please not go there. 

As an older head I still remember when the 100 dollars we had to scrape up to get the newest Jordan shoe, and how it was a big deal to have them. Now we have kids getting mom and dad to camp out all night and readily charge the 175 plus tax to there credit card. 

We also see everything so damn early does anyone else remember going to the shoe store to see what the newest Jordan looked like or getting the eastbay in the mail and geeking out over the new shoe on the cover? How about the feeling you got the first time you saw the Jordan V, I swear me and my brother thought Nike went into the future and brought back the future of basketball shoes with the clear sole, the lace lock, and the awesome mesh on the side panel. and then going and begging my mom if she could get them for me. When she said no, my brother and me started thinking about how many lawns we were gonna have to mow to get our shoes. and we mowed lawns and raked leaves til we could get them. 

Stories like these will never happen again, with all of the hypebeasts, and seeing everything 6 months before it comes out. Not to sound like an elitist, but I dont really see the draw to Jordan brand for all of these kids that never even saw Mike play or if they did he was in a Wizards uni. Good God almighty I cant wait for the Jordan fad to pass. With all this said, Ill still probably end up with the Cool Grey's, but Ill either have to camp out for them, get lucky on the internet, or pay reseller prices. All the mean while some 15 year old kid in his skinny Jeans will camp out. Or some guy will drop 2 grand and resell everything he gets. The Sneaker game is in a sad state. Post here if you agree.
this is called the internet, welcome to the era of the computer, it has made the world a much smaller place, so small that you dont have to wait for eastbay to come in the mail you can hop on jordans website and look it up.

Back
Top Bottom