Why the sneaker game will never be the same.

the high number of filipinos/asian wearing skinny jeans, showing off their space jams,, re selling at rape prices, and adding hype only makes things worse

smh

the high number of filipinos/asian wearing skinny jeans, showing off their space jams,, re selling at rape prices, and adding hype only makes things worse

smh

i used to think that retros should be cheaper because of the old technology,
but that is not the case...so...specifically about the 11s - they were $125 in
1995/96 so why would they still be, how much was a car in 1995 compared to now?
prices go up

some similiarities w/ the baseball card boom that occured in the late '80s on
everybody all of a sudden thought they could buy cards new and save them
and they'd be worth something, but oversaturation nixed that
no one back in the 1980s bought multiple pairs of the same shoe, one to stock,
one to rock, etc...cause if they did...there would be a lot of ds ogs out there
there aren't and that's why the ogs that remain are worth so much
the 2009 space jam for example won't be worth anything even compared to the '00
some older collectors can take some comfort it that

i be honest, i personally have an obsession with sneakers, i have for over 20 years
and i don't see how anybody could spend this kind of money without honestly admitting
they are a little obssessed

was talking to my neighbor who is around 23, and he's going on and on about his sneaker
collection and how so many of them "are worth more than $500" - and I start talking - and
he says "wow, you really know your sneakers!" I guess what I'm saying is that I miss the days
when I could have an engaging conversation about kicks with someone who knows what
they are talking about. This dude claims to spend mad loot and didn't even know his
transformer air trainers were not an og colorway
i'll stop short now before my 2 cents turns into more and bores the crap out of everyone

i used to think that retros should be cheaper because of the old technology,
but that is not the case...so...specifically about the 11s - they were $125 in
1995/96 so why would they still be, how much was a car in 1995 compared to now?
prices go up

some similiarities w/ the baseball card boom that occured in the late '80s on
everybody all of a sudden thought they could buy cards new and save them
and they'd be worth something, but oversaturation nixed that
no one back in the 1980s bought multiple pairs of the same shoe, one to stock,
one to rock, etc...cause if they did...there would be a lot of ds ogs out there
there aren't and that's why the ogs that remain are worth so much
the 2009 space jam for example won't be worth anything even compared to the '00
some older collectors can take some comfort it that

i be honest, i personally have an obsession with sneakers, i have for over 20 years
and i don't see how anybody could spend this kind of money without honestly admitting
they are a little obssessed

was talking to my neighbor who is around 23, and he's going on and on about his sneaker
collection and how so many of them "are worth more than $500" - and I start talking - and
he says "wow, you really know your sneakers!" I guess what I'm saying is that I miss the days
when I could have an engaging conversation about kicks with someone who knows what
they are talking about. This dude claims to spend mad loot and didn't even know his
i'll stop short now before my 2 cents turns into more and bores the crap out of everyone

It's a marketing tactic that works. Hype=profit. There's no going around that. Now as for today's younger, teenage demographic that flaunt shoes as a badge of prestige; the media is partly to blame for that. Sneakerheads in general (to an extent of course) as well. They've had a profound effect on friends/ relatives who see their obsession with shoes, and well, young people tend to take an existing idea and tweak it a bit to claim as their own. I think that's a portion of the entire Jordan fiasco that we have going on today.

It's a marketing tactic that works. Hype=profit. There's no going around that. Now as for today's younger, teenage demographic that flaunt shoes as a badge of prestige; the media is partly to blame for that. Sneakerheads in general (to an extent of course) as well. They've had a profound effect on friends/ relatives who see their obsession with shoes, and well, young people tend to take an existing idea and tweak it a bit to claim as their own. I think that's a portion of the entire Jordan fiasco that we have going on today.

Originally Posted by green rhino123

I think this is what i miss.  I used to like camping for shoes.  Its was an opportunity to meet people with the same interest and talk about things we both have a passion for. 

But the last shoe i camped for was the spacejams.  The kid who was first in line had been there for 3 hours (i was second in line) said to me "yo i got them spacejams in red too".  And i just looked at him like why are you spending so much money on something you don't know anything about. 

My passion for jordans is fading any way but i think this is a contributing factor

Originally Posted by green rhino123

I think this is what i miss.  I used to like camping for shoes.  Its was an opportunity to meet people with the same interest and talk about things we both have a passion for. 

But the last shoe i camped for was the spacejams.  The kid who was first in line had been there for 3 hours (i was second in line) said to me "yo i got them spacejams in red too".  And i just looked at him like why are you spending so much money on something you don't know anything about. 

My passion for jordans is fading any way but i think this is a contributing factor

Originally Posted by TheAdiMac

Not to sound like an elitist, but I dont really see the draw to Jordan brand for all of these kids that never even saw Mike play or if they did he was in a Wizards uni.
Half us didn't hear or see MLK give speeches, or preach but yet we still love what he did for us.
Why can't it be the same with MJ?
It's not our fault that our parent's didn't want to have sex during the late 80's or early 90's?!
Yet, you "older sneakerheads" look down on us like we are inferior to ya'.
I can careless if someone watched him play in person, on T.V., or on Youtube.
It's not about when they watched him, just the fact they went out of there way to learn about a man who doesn't even play anymore.
I'm 17, I was born in 1992, the year he & the Dream Team went to Barcelona & brought home the gold to U.S.A.
Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen, Chris Mullin, Clyde Drexler, John Stockton, Christian Laettner all of those 12 men brought home the gold.
Yet I know nothing, & I should stick to letting others treat me as if I know nothing just because they are old & saw MJ play.. smh
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by TheAdiMac

Not to sound like an elitist, but I dont really see the draw to Jordan brand for all of these kids that never even saw Mike play or if they did he was in a Wizards uni.
Half us didn't hear or see MLK give speeches, or preach but yet we still love what he did for us.
Why can't it be the same with MJ?
It's not our fault that our parent's didn't want to have sex during the late 80's or early 90's?!
Yet, you "older sneakerheads" look down on us like we are inferior to ya'.
I can careless if someone watched him play in person, on T.V., or on Youtube.
It's not about when they watched him, just the fact they went out of there way to learn about a man who doesn't even play anymore.
I'm 17, I was born in 1992, the year he & the Dream Team went to Barcelona & brought home the gold to U.S.A.
Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen, Chris Mullin, Clyde Drexler, John Stockton, Christian Laettner all of those 12 men brought home the gold.
Yet I know nothing, & I should stick to letting others treat me as if I know nothing just because they are old & saw MJ play.. smh
indifferent.gif

^nah man, it's good to see some younger people really interested in the same fashion
as us older collectors...i wish i saw more of that...

another example if i may - my father's first car was a '55 Buick, real heat back then believe it or not
and i love cars, but i am not gonna pretend for a second that my perspective is as complete as my fathers
he can talk for hours about vintage cars and how he was obsessed with them in the '40s as kid and the '50s
story after story, i can't have the same connection, its impossible
but on the flip side - i know more about baseball from its origins-1960s than most people twice my age
who lived during it but either weren't interested or haven't done as much homework as myself
so don't get all bent about older collectors, some don't know their stuff either, i said it, there you go
but some have a connection you will never have
(and by the way - Jordan lost his high-flying dunking skills in the early '90s, so anybody who didn't see him in
the 1980s didn't see what made us all buy the shoes to begin with)

^nah man, it's good to see some younger people really interested in the same fashion
as us older collectors...i wish i saw more of that...

another example if i may - my father's first car was a '55 Buick, real heat back then believe it or not
and i love cars, but i am not gonna pretend for a second that my perspective is as complete as my fathers
he can talk for hours about vintage cars and how he was obsessed with them in the '40s as kid and the '50s
story after story, i can't have the same connection, its impossible
but on the flip side - i know more about baseball from its origins-1960s than most people twice my age
who lived during it but either weren't interested or haven't done as much homework as myself
so don't get all bent about older collectors, some don't know their stuff either, i said it, there you go
but some have a connection you will never have
(and by the way - Jordan lost his high-flying dunking skills in the early '90s, so anybody who didn't see him in
the 1980s didn't see what made us all buy the shoes to begin with)

Originally Posted by RL Treyce

Originally Posted by nanbeezy

TheAdiMac wrote: 
How about the feeling you got the first time you saw the Jordan V, I swear me and my brother thought Nike went into the future and brought back the future of basketball shoes with the clear sole, the lace lock, and the awesome mesh on the side panel. and then going and begging my mom if she could get them for me. When she said no, my brother and me started thinking about how many lawns we were gonna have to mow to get our shoes. and we mowed lawns and raked leaves til we could get them. 

Stories like these will never happen again, 

It will never be the same my friend, and the nostalgia of Jordan is slowly dying as I get older.  
tired.gif

Sad but true.
I agree...I'm not the "oldest" Head in the game by any means. But I do remember those feelings of awe and amazement that the newest AJ brought out in you. While those feelings are dwindling as I get older...I still think that there are certain J's that are so Iconic that I will feel some sort of passion for the shoe no matter what. I.E; The AJ Infrared VI...Yes, the 2010 Pack! I was sour on the idea of those...Once I coped them though, I pretty much fell in love. And I'm still on them joints like they are an '01 or prior retro. I will say, I wear them with less care than previous J's, but hey...I like the shoe, so whatever! I'm tired of worrying about what other folks think about my shoes. I know that the majority of Sneakerheads (The passers by that you see anyway) know what you got on your feet...be it AJ's, AM1's or Yeezy's and would rather hate on you for whatever heat you're rocking anyway. So step off! Truth be told...You probably aint got the heat that I got...so I ain't even trippin! 

Originally Posted by RL Treyce

Originally Posted by nanbeezy

TheAdiMac wrote: 
How about the feeling you got the first time you saw the Jordan V, I swear me and my brother thought Nike went into the future and brought back the future of basketball shoes with the clear sole, the lace lock, and the awesome mesh on the side panel. and then going and begging my mom if she could get them for me. When she said no, my brother and me started thinking about how many lawns we were gonna have to mow to get our shoes. and we mowed lawns and raked leaves til we could get them. 

Stories like these will never happen again, 

It will never be the same my friend, and the nostalgia of Jordan is slowly dying as I get older.  
tired.gif

Sad but true.
I agree...I'm not the "oldest" Head in the game by any means. But I do remember those feelings of awe and amazement that the newest AJ brought out in you. While those feelings are dwindling as I get older...I still think that there are certain J's that are so Iconic that I will feel some sort of passion for the shoe no matter what. I.E; The AJ Infrared VI...Yes, the 2010 Pack! I was sour on the idea of those...Once I coped them though, I pretty much fell in love. And I'm still on them joints like they are an '01 or prior retro. I will say, I wear them with less care than previous J's, but hey...I like the shoe, so whatever! I'm tired of worrying about what other folks think about my shoes. I know that the majority of Sneakerheads (The passers by that you see anyway) know what you got on your feet...be it AJ's, AM1's or Yeezy's and would rather hate on you for whatever heat you're rocking anyway. So step off! Truth be told...You probably aint got the heat that I got...so I ain't even trippin! 

Darkwing Duck wrote:
young kids had their moms stand in line and cop back in the day too, this is no new phenomenon.

And kids still beg their moms to buy them shoes.

Inflation has made the price go up, we get paid more than we used to also.
Lines didnt exist "back in the day",  if its my back in the day, which was being 9 when the III's came out.  Of course they were bought for me.  But I remember absolutely having to beg and beg to get them.  I dont care about the raise in the price.  It is what it is, you think theyre too much dont buy them then.  Its about nostalgia to me more than anything.....

Darkwing Duck wrote:
young kids had their moms stand in line and cop back in the day too, this is no new phenomenon.

And kids still beg their moms to buy them shoes.

Inflation has made the price go up, we get paid more than we used to also.
Lines didnt exist "back in the day",  if its my back in the day, which was being 9 when the III's came out.  Of course they were bought for me.  But I remember absolutely having to beg and beg to get them.  I dont care about the raise in the price.  It is what it is, you think theyre too much dont buy them then.  Its about nostalgia to me more than anything.....

Everytime I get on the Jordan Forum I see on the front page, "Why the game isn't the same," "Sneaker game is dead," etc.... I understand your frustration, but It's not JB's fault and the posts are getting repetitive.
The game is clearly not "dead" it's just different. Internet has provided an outlet to make reselling a business and JB has found out that they can get away with murder (releasing VR's and then Infrared's) because there are a billion lame skinny jean wearing dudes that will buy anything that has any hype surrounding it. 

And as far as the whole "the technology makes the shoe worth $175." No, it doesn't. The demand for this product makes the shoe worth that. JB is a company that wants to maximize profits, everyone ate up the space jams, people probably still would have copped for $200. JB knows this, and that is the problem.

Everytime I get on the Jordan Forum I see on the front page, "Why the game isn't the same," "Sneaker game is dead," etc.... I understand your frustration, but It's not JB's fault and the posts are getting repetitive.
The game is clearly not "dead" it's just different. Internet has provided an outlet to make reselling a business and JB has found out that they can get away with murder (releasing VR's and then Infrared's) because there are a billion lame skinny jean wearing dudes that will buy anything that has any hype surrounding it. 

And as far as the whole "the technology makes the shoe worth $175." No, it doesn't. The demand for this product makes the shoe worth that. JB is a company that wants to maximize profits, everyone ate up the space jams, people probably still would have copped for $200. JB knows this, and that is the problem.

I think that it's all about collecting now rather then just having a sick sneaker game. The Infrared pack was released purely for collecting purposes that's why they put out the varsity reds pretty much the same time.
I always smile when I see a young kid with a sick pair of kicks beat up and not matching what he is wearing, that reminds me of my childhood & youth.

I think that it's all about collecting now rather then just having a sick sneaker game. The Infrared pack was released purely for collecting purposes that's why they put out the varsity reds pretty much the same time.
I always smile when I see a young kid with a sick pair of kicks beat up and not matching what he is wearing, that reminds me of my childhood & youth.

If I could turn back time.......

The nostalgia is not at all present when I see today's "Retros"

Open up a fresh pair of Retros Pre-2005, and you'll be as giddy as a kid at Chuck E Cheese.

If I could turn back time.......

The nostalgia is not at all present when I see today's "Retros"

Open up a fresh pair of Retros Pre-2005, and you'll be as giddy as a kid at Chuck E Cheese.

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

Originally Posted by Steve212

Funny thing is Fusions are a big deal to the consumer. They cop those without hesitation.

That's cause we think that the world's opinion should revolve around this board.
haha true true

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

Originally Posted by Steve212

Funny thing is Fusions are a big deal to the consumer. They cop those without hesitation.

That's cause we think that the world's opinion should revolve around this board.
haha true true

for those who are complaining about the 175$ price tag are just jb haters. jordan 17z in 2001 released for 200$ and still they were sold out.. its 2010 now! we cant afford 175$ shoes? cmon

Back
Top Bottom