Will Yao Ming be in the Hall of Fame?

Originally Posted by blakmn89

yao shud be a hof simply 4 da fact he paved da way 4 azn ballers in da nba. also somewhat helped x-nba stars hv a career continue in china due 2 him makin it a popular 4 da country imo

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by blakmn89

yao shud be a hof simply 4 da fact he paved da way 4 azn ballers in da nba. also somewhat helped x-nba stars hv a career continue in china due 2 him makin it a popular 4 da country imo

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by kash55

A side from impact....what has he accomplished in his international career?
Some of you guys really just don't get it.

It's not about his international career. It's about his impact on the game at a global level. The Basketball Hall of Fame recognizes that. The NBA recognizes it. Half a billion people watch his games. That's half a billion fans the NBA didn't have before him. And he played at a high enough level (when healthy) where the interest and praise he received was warranted. He was an ambassador to the sport, and he WILL be in the Hall.

The Basketball Hall has college coaches, women, high school coaches, etc. It's an all-encompassing recognition of the sport. I agree there should be an NBA Hall of Fame...but until somebody builds it, stop nitpicking at dumb reasons why people shouldn't be in the hall.

Originally Posted by kash55

A side from impact....what has he accomplished in his international career?
Some of you guys really just don't get it.

It's not about his international career. It's about his impact on the game at a global level. The Basketball Hall of Fame recognizes that. The NBA recognizes it. Half a billion people watch his games. That's half a billion fans the NBA didn't have before him. And he played at a high enough level (when healthy) where the interest and praise he received was warranted. He was an ambassador to the sport, and he WILL be in the Hall.

The Basketball Hall has college coaches, women, high school coaches, etc. It's an all-encompassing recognition of the sport. I agree there should be an NBA Hall of Fame...but until somebody builds it, stop nitpicking at dumb reasons why people shouldn't be in the hall.

k what's more prestigious?

BHOF or NBAHOF?

or are they even 2 different distinct entities?

k what's more prestigious?

BHOF or NBAHOF?

or are they even 2 different distinct entities?

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

The same way Kobe and Shaq will be HOFers? No.

This sounds like one of those inductions based off of other things not just pertaining to basketball but what he's done for the NBA. It's not like the basketball HOF makes it a point to be looking up players accomplishments overseas in other leagues.

I'm not trying to offend anybody here, but you all are basically arguing that he should make it because he's Chinese. I can understand people making it into the HOF for contributions outside of the NBA or off the court (Vitale as an announcer, somebody like Dikembe for his charitable work in addition to a great playing career), but unless I missed something, Yao never did anything quite on that level. He just played in the NBA and internationally and Chinese people liked him because he was Chinese. I can see why Stern and the rest of the NBA would be appreciative of that, but I don't think he deserves special recognition or the honor of being in the Hall of Fame because of it. I don't really see how playing in the NBA and being Chinese is any different than playing in the NBA and being German like Dirk is, other than the fact that China is far more populous and Yao gets a ton of support. But to me that's not an accomplishment. 
I think Yao was a great player and if not for injury would have easily been a HOF center; he's never been my favorite player or anything but I feel terribly for him because I know he works hard and he wan't just a big stiff; he was a highly skilled big man. So I do feel sympathy for the way his career has gone. Still though, that has happened to many players and I don't think Yao's career is HOF worthy. 

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

The same way Kobe and Shaq will be HOFers? No.

This sounds like one of those inductions based off of other things not just pertaining to basketball but what he's done for the NBA. It's not like the basketball HOF makes it a point to be looking up players accomplishments overseas in other leagues.

I'm not trying to offend anybody here, but you all are basically arguing that he should make it because he's Chinese. I can understand people making it into the HOF for contributions outside of the NBA or off the court (Vitale as an announcer, somebody like Dikembe for his charitable work in addition to a great playing career), but unless I missed something, Yao never did anything quite on that level. He just played in the NBA and internationally and Chinese people liked him because he was Chinese. I can see why Stern and the rest of the NBA would be appreciative of that, but I don't think he deserves special recognition or the honor of being in the Hall of Fame because of it. I don't really see how playing in the NBA and being Chinese is any different than playing in the NBA and being German like Dirk is, other than the fact that China is far more populous and Yao gets a ton of support. But to me that's not an accomplishment. 
I think Yao was a great player and if not for injury would have easily been a HOF center; he's never been my favorite player or anything but I feel terribly for him because I know he works hard and he wan't just a big stiff; he was a highly skilled big man. So I do feel sympathy for the way his career has gone. Still though, that has happened to many players and I don't think Yao's career is HOF worthy. 

That's basically what ppl are saying. Very good (potential to be great) Chinese player brings Chinese viewers to NBA and because of that impact ppl think he deserves to be in the HOF because of it.

If there's some category in the HOF for that sure then.

That's basically what ppl are saying. Very good (potential to be great) Chinese player brings Chinese viewers to NBA and because of that impact ppl think he deserves to be in the HOF because of it.

If there's some category in the HOF for that sure then.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Yes.

While his NBA accomplishments wouldn't warrant it, especially given the time he's missed, his international impact will get him in.

Agreed, but he is still one of the top ten Centers ever.
indifferent.gif

How old are you, 12?

Yes.

While his NBA accomplishments wouldn't warrant it, especially given the time he's missed, his international impact will get him in.

indifferent.gif

How old are you, 12?

Originally Posted by zube42

Yes.

indifferent.gif

How old are you, 12?
Name ten centers better than yao.

Yes.

indifferent.gif

How old are you, 12?

Originally Posted by you go boy

if he makes it then you might as well include penny and grant also

If Yao is a HOF.. Robert Horry must make it too.. all of his rings + super clutch..

If Yao is a HOF.. Robert Horry must make it too.. all of his rings + super clutch..

Originally Posted by caleekicks

Grant Hill has to get in. What he's done with his career after all of his surgeries is simply amazing. 

Word.

Grant Hill has to get in. What he's done with his career after all of his surgeries is simply amazing. 

Word.

Originally Posted by TonyReali

Yes.

indifferent.gif

How old are you, 12?
Off the top of my head in no order whatsoever:
Kareem, Shaq, Ewing, Hakeen, Wilt, Russell, Malone, Hayes, Gilmore, Parish, Lanier, Robinson

Originally Posted by TonyReali

Yes.

indifferent.gif

How old are you, 12?
Off the top of my head in no order whatsoever:
Kareem, Shaq, Ewing, Hakeen, Wilt, Russell, Malone, Hayes, Gilmore, Parish, Lanier, Robinson

i didn't follow his career at duke, but wouldn't he get voted in based on his college career?  do players who had great college careers get voted in?  i don't know much about the basketball of fame which is why i'm asking.

Back
Top Bottom