Work @ Facebook or Twitter?

Discussion in 'General' started by king milaac, Oct 19, 2015.

1. king milaac

king milaac

Thankful  to receive an offer to work in finance at either Facebook or Twitter, exactly same role (finance accounting manager) at each one. Trying to think through each opportunity and could use another opinion. 

FB - Incredible success in monthly active user growth, reach/relevance/engagement and monetization of its platform to date. FB outlook is strong investments in both its product and business model. 

Twitter - Struggling with stagnant user growth, re-defining it's core value as a product, and lots of flux at the exec level. Many wonder whether Twitter has reached it's natural revenue ceiling, might struggle to refocus on growth, leaving it exposed to the fast pace change of tech where some other phenomenal idea will shift the paradigm and change the social platform. 

Based on the above, from purely a Company outlook, stock based comp perspective, FB is a no brainer. However, assuming all other variables are the same (base comp, benefits,) as well as professional development and learning opportunities, other considerations I had were:

-Commute- Twitter is in SF. 10 minute walk. Can sell my car. Reinvest 3 hours of my life everyday into something more meaningful than commuting. FB would be a 3 hr round trip commute. 

-Team - FB is huge. 9k employees. TWTR - 4k employees. The finance team is somewhat proportional. I would have a larger footprint at TWTR. 

-Culture- Because of all of the appealing things about FB thatI listed out above, there are a lot of young, alpha type A people at FB. Very smart people that I'm sure I can learn from, but also very competitive. I can imagine a lot of politics coming into play in order to get opportunities and visibility. While TWTR also has a lot of smart folks on the team, I get a feeling it's less competitive and cut throat, which I would prefer. 

Basically, I think I would have a much better work life balance at TWTR, at a time in my life (early 30's) where I need more of that. 

Both Companies have changed the world, have distinct purposes, and still have the potential to change the world. Despite everything I said about TWTR above, I still believe that they can make some bold decisions and grow to its fullest potential. 

Appreciate some advice NT. 

2. launchpadmcquack

launchpadmcquack Banned

I just read Twitter laid off a few folks
    I would go with fb
    I think they will expand more than Twitter

3. dragon

dragon

facebook and dont look back.

4. 1c3m4m

1c3m4m

Twitter, looking at all options, it looks like twitter will be better on your livelihood

5. luckyluchiano

luckyluchiano

Id do neither long term, FB seems to be stronger for the now though,but neither are going to be stable long term as they have a hard time trying to figure out how to monetize their business model.

Id do facebook for 5 yrs then bounce to something more stable in a higher position.

6. kevenmayne

kevenmayne

Sounds like you'll be happier at Twitter...
    The commute, less cut throat, bigger footprint, I would go for that. Yes, it's not as big as Facebook, but it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    richiecotite likes this.
  7. beezygotsole

beezygotsole

Twitter just laid off 8% of its company. If you were to go with Twitter make sure you save up an emergency fund asap.

IMO that is the only downfall when comparing the two Twitter comes out on top.

You will save so my money by walking to work. have a bigger footprint at the company, and possibly less competitive. From what you have said Twitter seems like the better choice for you. I wouldn't recommend staying at Twitter longterm.

8. johnnyredstorm

johnnyredstorm

Twitter is going to be bought out eventually and who knows if they downsize staff. Go to Facebook.

9. oidreez

oidreez

Is it possible for you to move closer to where facebook is or no?

10. eracism

eracism

???

trunks206 likes this.
  11. alp

alp Banned

Fb is better, but if you want to have no work commute then go with twitter

12. nazdrowie

nazdrowie

wouldnt surprise me if Facebook pulled a Google, and went all Aphabet on everything in the not too distant future, so I'd go there

13. johnnyredstorm

johnnyredstorm

They're going to in some capacity. Can't forget about Oculus Rift and it's implications. FB's figured out a way to monetize unlike a lot of its peers, I'd put more faith and trust in Zuckerberg than whoever is running Twitter.

14. luckyluchiano

luckyluchiano

This, eventually we will have another tech bubble burst as all these app companies are overvauled and dont make money. You need to have a 5 yr plan imo so i would not invest too much as you have to be able to make a move as you dont know what the future holds for these companies.

15. johnnyredstorm

johnnyredstorm

Facebook actually makes money though.

For a quick look at their progress the past 2 years:
    http://cmlviz.com/cmld3b/lite.php?ticker=fb&app=rc&referral=home

16. beezygotsole

beezygotsole

Yup I definitely wouldn't sell my car if I were him, unless the cost difference is very significant. If the car is paid off keep it.

17. launchpadmcquack

launchpadmcquack Banned

G

18. luckyluchiano

luckyluchiano

They make money but i believe they are still considered overvauled ie. Their revenue doesnt match what analyst feel they should be bringing in, and FB hasnt figured out how to truly monetize their huge user base.

19. launchpadmcquack

launchpadmcquack Banned

I wonder how long before this social media thing is over

20. Meangene45

Meangene45

When the computers takeover.