Work @ Facebook or Twitter?

Y'all cats don't even know.
mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif

You don't NEED facebook and Twitter to survive in this world.

Some of Y'all are a slave to technology.
mean.gif

If it's feasible, I would find a way to move closer to FB HQ, and work for them.

A short commute has tons of value. If you stay in your current location, Twitter is the choice.

You can always land another job if another round of layoffs happen, you'll never get the wasted time on a commute. Never.

I've never lived more than 30 minutes from my job, with traffic. Anything more than that, sounds dreadful.

You know what, if you get stock options, I'd consider Twitter. They're getting taken over one day and it might work out well enough for you if you can cash in on that before you get laid off.

How do startups make money? They're usually funded by some big wig, right? What are they looking to profit from with that investment? Explain to me how this works because it seems like a Monopoly money to me.

How do startups make money? They're usually funded by some big wig, right? What are they looking to profit from with that investment? Explain to me how this works because it seems like a Monopoly money to me.

they are hoping to get bought out by the bigger companies

twtr will be lucky to survive on its own if this whole bubble bursts

Last edited:
There's not 1 answer because all startups are different .  Some founders are looking to continue growing it while some have an exit strategy hoping it'll be acquired.  

Sounds like FB is better but there can't possibly be much growth in FB either. Everyone has one or they're deleting their accounts now.

The commute sounds brutal though.

Twitter just laid off 8% of its company. If you were to go with Twitter make sure you save up an emergency fund asap.

IMO that is the only downfall when comparing the two Twitter comes out on top.

You will save so my money by walking to work. have a bigger footprint at the company, and possibly less competitive. From what you have said Twitter seems like the better choice for you. I wouldn't recommend staying at Twitter longterm.
The layoff was a big question for me. The department I'm working in wasn't impacted, it was mainly in engineering. I was more concerned about morale in my group. In terms of the layoffs itself, I saw it as a positive as an outsider looking in, TWTR is struggling to find itself and it's operating expenses were bloated, they need to make bold decisions to turn things around. 
If it's feasible, I would find a way to move closer to FB HQ, and work for them.

A short commute has tons of value. If you stay in your current location, Twitter is the choice.

You can always land another job if another round of layoffs happen, you'll never get the wasted time on a commute. Never.

I've never lived more than 30 minutes from my job, with traffic. Anything more than that, sounds dreadful.
I think my career perspective is working to live, not living to work. I spent years of my life grinding it out and having my life revolve around work, and I value those years, and I respect people who grind, but right now, at my age, looking for more balance. With that being said, I LOVE living in SF. FB is in Menlo Park, close to Stanford/Palo Alto. I spent years living in the south bay, and it's a different lifestyle. I'm enjoying myself in SF and not willing to move back down south in the peninsula. 
I'd imagine the work culture at Twitter isn't as simplistic as you think. Out of those two options, Twitter doesn't seem to be the pick that will be around for a great deal longer. I'd imagine that causes employees to be very cutthroat, as they are worrying about their own positions, and ensuring their options elsewhere. I could be completely wrong, though.

Sidebar: I just watched that SF2.0 HBO special and apparently your kind is destroying their town; they don't want you there.
laugh.gif

I'm black if that matters.
Very good point about the culture being impacted by paranoia. Didn't think of that. 

Regarding your sidebar comment on the SF 2.0 HBO Special, I 100% agree with the concern about techies implants  and the social conditions living in the city 
roll.gif
. However, as a bay area native, having lived here my entire life, unlike the techies who have flown in from all over the country, getting paid upwards of $200k/yr out of college with no intention of staying in the bay area or investing in the community long term, only to get rich and get out, I was actually born and raise in this area and plan to live here for the rest of my life. I have no shame in living in the city. 
You know what, if you get stock options, I'd consider Twitter. They're getting taken over one day and it might work out well enough for you if you can cash in on that before you get laid off.
This would potentially be a great outcome a couple years from now 
pimp.gif

I know tons of people that use FB for communication purposes.

Don't ever post anything but they get in contact via FB. So you can say it's demo is getting older.

The social media drama crowd is heavy on Twitter right now.

All of these are amazing forms of communication, unfortunately the masses tend to crap on these in no time.

5 years is very long term in this tech field in this town. Most people stay 1-2 years at a company and move to the next one.

Those tend to be developers/engineers and they tend to hop around to smaller start ups and get higher positions or start their own company. OP is in Finance so that would not be beneficial to him. I think 5 yrs of good experience with the FB brand could land him in a higher position with more money at another company/smaller company just with having FB on his resume would make him attractive to recruiters elsewhere.

Those tend to be developers/engineers and they tend to hop around to smaller start ups and get higher positions or start their own company. OP is in Finance so that would not be beneficial to him. I think 5 yrs of good experience with the FB brand could land him in a higher position with more money at another company/smaller company just with having FB on his resume would make him attractive to recruiters elsewhere.
5 years is pretty long even for finance. I know what you mean though. I have more confidence in FB in the long term for sure. In terms of the near term, in finance, Twitter and FB are pretty much the same kind of experience. A bigger issue would be if I was considering to go to a company in a completely different industry, outside of tech, like working for Gap Finance or something. From a market perspective, if I'm looking at candidates in finance, similar experience in Twitter and/or FB would be the same to me. Engineering? Definitely different. But on a back end, finace/accounting type role, very similar. To your point though, more confidence in outlook beyond 2 or 3 years @ FB. 

IMO Twitter & Facebook are both great brands to have on your resume.

Have you checked the reviews on glassdoor for finance positions?

Last edited:
5 years is pretty long even for finance. I know what you mean though. I have more confidence in FB in the long term for sure. In terms of the near term, in finance, Twitter and FB are pretty much the same kind of experience. A bigger issue would be if I was considering to go to a company in a completely different industry, outside of tech, like working for Gap Finance or something. From a market perspective, if I'm looking at candidates in finance, similar experience in Twitter and/or FB would be the same to me. Engineering? Definitely different. But on a back end, finace/accounting type role, very similar. To your point though, more confidence in outlook beyond 2 or 3 years @ FB. 

I always say every 3 to 5 yrs do a self assesment on where you are in the company and if you see growth realistically happening if it hasnt already. I may have missed how much experience you have, 5 yrs of relevent experience is pretty much the standard to leave a company and do a vertical move elsewhere, while 3 yrs of experience would probably yield a small pay bump if you go elsewhere but a lateral position move.

Twitter is tremendous for news. Best place to be kept up to date on manners. Your experience really comes down to who you follow. Facebook is still great for communication though, don't see that changing any time soon.

Facebook would be a no brainer in my opinion. But like someone else said, not for your whole life. Facebook will look better on a resume for an even bigger opportunity.

It's going to take you 1.5 hours to get from sf to menlo park?
FB has buses from SF to Menlo Park. It'll take around 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes each way, so about 2 hours round trip. 

Oh yea those tech shuttles. Thought you were going to drive since you mentioned you have a car. Well in that case you're not spending money on gas so it wouldn't be a huge deal but walking 10min away isn't bad also. I'd go with FB but this is coming from someone who doesn't know about the environment or job security of either company.

FB has buses from SF to Menlo Park. It'll take around 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes each way, so about 2 hours round trip. 
That's not bad since you aren't using your car. Have you looked up glassdoor reviews of each company for finance positions?

Can be helpful to hear current/prior employee's insight.

my neighbors who moved in recently works for google. i can hear them wake up at 6a to catch the tech buses and they usually get back around 9p when it's all said and done. what's the point in living in the city when all you do is spend time commuting/working >D they got 4 to an apt paying ridiculous rent that my landlord charges. good thing i got that rent control

Id do neither long term, FB seems to be stronger for the now though,but neither are going to be stable long term as they have a hard time trying to figure out how to monetize their business model.

Id do facebook for 5 yrs then bounce to something more stable in a higher position.
Not sure if serious...

A good friend of mine recently got a job working for FB on Oculus Rift. From what he says, they treat their employees well (He hasn't spent a dime on groceries since he worked there  
laugh.gif
)  But I see that mentioned about having a balance of work/life. Employees practically live on the FB campus, so take that for what its worth

Great opportunity nonetheless

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom