[::WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD: 2 Weeks Away From Pre-Season::]

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

i wonder where adam's gonna go...
I hope he knows how to speak German.
laugh.gif

As for the team, I'd like them to get younger and more athletic. The team (particularly the bench) isn't quite explosive as it was two or three years ago. Got to get some guys off the bench that can turn relieve the starters. Just be smart with who they spend the money on.

You guys need to learn how the economics work in the NBA. We can't sign Tracy McGrady, Brad Miller, Mike Miller, JJ Redick, and Steve Blake.

We have the MLE which is worth a little over $5 mil that COULD be split between multiple players (but I doubt any of those guys are going to take less than $5 mil). A source from the Lakers already said that they don't want to use the full MLE this summer.

We don't have the LLE because it can only be used once every two years and we used it last year to sign Shannon Brown.

That leaves us with the veteran minimum to sign players, and the maximum for that is $1.3 mil for a player that has played 10+ seasons (and it's worth less money for guys with less experience). NO ONE is going to take that contract unless it's someone close to retirement or a 12th man type of player, which none of the above free agents are.

So, realistically, that leaves us with the ability to sign probably ONE of those guys (which I think will most likely be a point guard like Steve Blake, or Mike Miller) with the MLE, and anyone else using veteran minimums, which could be someone like Kurt Thomas or Raja Bell who is getting close to retirement.

I think realistically we could probably get Steve Blake with about 4 of the MLE and either T-mac or Raja for the minimum.

I think T-Mac is close to hanging them up, why not take that vet minimum or Raja Bell.

I like the idea of a big man. Brad Miller?

Can't believe some people actually want Steve Blake.

No to T-mac. He isn't a winner, and as much as I like him he doesn't look like a good fit for the Lakers. Last thing we need is another injury prone player trying to get one before he retires. Reminds me too much of the Malone incident.

Phil loves bigger point guards, so assuming he stays I'm sure he'll have a huge input on who he wants to get considering what we have to offer.

Some dudes should have no problem taking the MLE if they really want to win, if not, keep walking.

this is what needs to be done being realistic about it

Out: Farmar, Mbenga, Morrison, Powell,
In: T-mac and/or Mike Miller, Brad Miller

Reason for Tmac comign over, he would be able to make our bench top notch... he would start anywhere in the league, but coming off the bench he would be that scoring threat we lack, also people forget Tmac is a good rebounder and passer, and not a "terrible" defender. he would be perfect IMO for the bench, and if he is willing to take less than the MLE, its low risk high reward.

Mike Miller, also perfect fit, great 3 point shooter, can handle the ball, and play decent defense, he would knock down alot of those open shots that Ron, Farmar, and Shannon miss... plus Sasha and Mike miller together would be lethal for 3 point shooting.

Brad Miller because he is a vet, he is a good rebounder, and a decent mid range shooter.... also his passing is under rated... i think in a limited role he could produce well.

I really like the T mac idea... people sleeping on Mac, if he is 100% healthy again, he will be a force.... he will never be the 30 ppg scorer he was, but a 15 ppg scorer off the bench would be ideal role for him.

i dont like any of the free agent PG's available.... Watson, Ridnour, Blake, they are not THAT much of an upgrade.... and HELL NO to Raja Bell.... you want to bring in a 33 year old over achiever, over rated defender? dude thrived in the system (phoenix) ala Boris Diaw... and look at Diaw now. and only reason he got the title of "top defender" was because the Suns played the Lakers alot, and he gave Kobe a "struggle" to score 35 points.... No way to Raja Bell.

Tmac or Mike Miller 1st option

A healthy T-Mac would fit well in the triangle given his size and skills. The problem is, he looked DONE in New York this past season. Unless he agrees to sign for the absolute minimum, would common sense tell you to sign a 31 year old swingman with a history of back problems and underwent microfracture two years?

Anybody seen or have the link  to the official pictures of the Lakers with the trophy (back stage after the game).

Originally Posted by Infyrno23

this is what needs to be done being realistic about it

Out: Farmar, Mbenga, Morrison, Powell,
In: Mike Miller, Brad Miller

Reason for Tmac comign over, he would be able to make our bench top notch... he would start anywhere in the league, but coming off the bench he would be that scoring threat we lack, also people forget Tmac is a good rebounder and passer, and not a "terrible" defender. he would be perfect IMO for the bench, and if he is willing to take less than the MLE, its low risk high reward.

Mike Miller, also perfect fit, great 3 point shooter, can handle the ball, and play decent defense, he would knock down alot of those open shots that Ron, Farmar, and Shannon miss... plus Sasha and Mike miller together would be lethal for 3 point shooting.

Brad Miller because he is a vet, he is a good rebounder, and a decent mid range shooter.... also his passing is under rated... i think in a limited role he could produce well.

I really like the T mac idea... people sleeping on Mac, if he is 100% healthy again, he will be a force.... he will never be the 30 ppg scorer he was, but a 15 ppg scorer off the bench would be ideal role for him.

i dont like any of the free agent PG's available.... Watson, Ridnour, Blake, they are not THAT much of an upgrade.... and HELL NO to Raja Bell.... you want to bring in a 33 year old over achiever, over rated defender? dude thrived in the system (phoenix) ala Boris Diaw... and look at Diaw now. and only reason he got the title of "top defender" was because the Suns played the Lakers alot, and he gave Kobe a "struggle" to score 35 points.... No way to Raja Bell.

Tmac or Mike Miller 1st option
Mike miller easily over Tmac. Tmac like said earlier looked finished in NY i just cant see him being what we need, we need a spark off the bench like what Farmar did in game 6 but someone who can do that constantly

Although id rather have mike miller, I don't see why the tmac idea is getting that much negative feedback..............if you think about it, dude would only be asked to give us 8-12mins a game coming off the bench, its not like last years situation where we're looking for a starting SF

Mike and Brad Miller are perfect for this team. Can we get both? I don't know.

As far as PG's go I think we will be fine. I don't have any names in mind because I don't care. We have gotten by just fine with fish/farmar/brown so if you bring 2 of those 3 back and insert somebody we will be fine. A back up center is what we need and Brad Miller is perfect for that IMO.

T-mac would be cool. I would buy the jersey but I don't know if it would really work. It's just one of those things that sounds cool because of his name. Same with Shaq. The name and the memories makes it sound good. But do you really think Shaq would take that back up role? Do you really think Shaq and Kobe could just get over everything that has happened? IF they could it could work out and be perfect because were not asking much out of shaq. Just play well when Drew is tired, in foul trouble or (hate to say this) hurt.

Honestly the title is ours to loose. We have so much in place all we need are MINOR tweeks and we will have much more then a 3 peat run. I think we can honestly get 5 chips out of this run but so much would have to go right. Phil HAS to come back for any of this to happen though.

I really think Phil has atleast 1 or maybe 2 years left in him..

Maybe if he comes back this season, he can just coach at staples and let BShaw takeover for road games..so then he'll be well rested for the playoffs
laugh.gif

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Jackson 'leaning towards retiring'[/h2]

By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson used it as a running joke this season when asked if he was leaning one way or another regarding his coaching future. "I'm leaning against the wall," Jackson said in a tunnel in Oklahoma City and later, "I'm leaning against the podium," before a playoff game at Staples Center.

30012.jpg

Jackson

He dropped the joke and got serious about his decision Wednesday.

"I'm leaning towards retiring but I have not made up my mind," Jackson said.

The 64 year old coach told Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss that he planned on completing the medical tests and evaluations that will completed by Thursday. He will then drive out to his Lake House in Montana on Friday, spend a week checking in on the results of those tests and make his final decision a week from Friday.

[h4]ROAD TO REPEAT[/h4]
lal.gif

ESPNLosAngeles.com chronicled the Lakers during the NBA playoffs with photos and game coverage. http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5320083#/espn.go.com/los-angeles/gallery/?id=5185206">http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/gall...dth=1100,height=700,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">The gallery »

"I'll take a week after the medical tests are done," Jackson said. "Some of it's about health, some of it's about that's the way I feel right now. I've had vacillating feelings about it. It's hard not to feel like coming back when you're speaking to these players and have an opportunity to coach a team that's this good. But, it's what I feel like right now and what I feel like in the process that's gone through. It's just something I'm going to sit with and feel out and after I'm through talking about all the rest of it with the doctors, then I'll make the final decision."

Jackson, who has won five titles with the Lakers and six titles with the Chicago Bulls, has flirted with retirement in recent years. He has been open throughout the season about the toll the NBA schedule takes on him physically.

Jackson was a no-show at the parade on Monday celebrating the Lakers win over the Boston Celtics in seven games. A Lakers spokesperson said Jackson was undergoing medical tests.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Phil will be back, everybody relax.  Let the man take a vacation, recharge the batteries, he'll be back. 

Fish needs to talk with Farmar.  When Fish came into the league he had to sit on the bench, play 8 minutes a game, and let old vets like Ron Harper and B Shaw run the show for a bit.  By the end of the 3 peat, they had moved onto retirement, and Fish was the starting point guard for the LA Lakers. 

Farmar has that opportunity.  Fish won't play forever.  And soon Farmar will be the starting PG, but he has to give it time. 

If dude would honestly rather be a PG for the Pacers, or the Grizz or ......(hey, that's not that bad of a fit, Nas????)  or whereever rather then the LA Lakers, then that dude is clueless anyways and we don't need him.  I like that he wants to play more.  I like that.  Good, you should want that.  But you have to look at what you do have right now.  If he played better, Phil would give him more time.  He needs to keep working, ALOT like what D Fish did.  I hope Farmar sees the light. 

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

Can't believe some people actually want Steve Blake.

Phil loves bigger point guards,
Huh?

Steve Blake is a great fit. He's a 40% shooter from 3-pt range. That fulfills the first pre-requisite.

Second, he's a good ball handler and decent defender. Overall, he is just a heady player. I can't think of a better fit within the budget.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Phil will be back, everybody relax.  Let the man take a vacation, recharge the batteries, he'll be back. 

Fish needs to talk with Farmar.  When Fish came into the league he had to sit on the bench, play 8 minutes a game, and let old vets like Ron Harper and B Shaw run the show for a bit.  By the end of the 3 peat, they had moved onto retirement, and Fish was the starting point guard for the LA Lakers. 

Farmar has that opportunity.  Fish won't play forever.  And soon Farmar will be the starting PG, but he has to give it time. 

If dude would honestly rather be a PG for the Pacers, or the Grizz or ......(hey, that's not that bad of a fit, Nas????)  or whereever rather then the LA Lakers, then that dude is clueless anyways and we don't need him.  I like that he wants to play more.  I like that.  Good, you should want that.  But you have to look at what you do have right now.  If he played better, Phil would give him more time.  He needs to keep working, ALOT like what D Fish did.  I hope Farmar sees the light. 
I think the Pacers would be the ideal fit. He can just jack up shots and play no defense just like that entire team does. Not a fit under the Grizz, unless he wants to be a backup. Coach Hollins seems intent on giving Conley the reigns.

Don't see Farmar coming back in the long term. At best, he signs a one year deal like Nate Robinson did.

In other news 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Vanessa Bryant ‘Hates’ Khloe Kardashian?[/h2]Hooped Up| June 23, 2010

They say that winning cures everything on a sports team, but maybe that only extends as far as the players and not their wives because according to In Touch Weekly. Vanessa Bryant and Khloe Kardashian — no likey each other.

Khloe Kardashian is feeling unloved–not because of her husband, Lamar Odom, but because of one of his Lakers teammates’ wives. According to an insider, Kobe Bryant’s wife, Vanessa, “hates

Back
Top Bottom