[::WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD: 2 Weeks Away From Pre-Season::]

After going to the parade this week, the championship is really starting to set in, so I thought I'd pop in here for a few thoughts.

Out of the five championships for which I've been alive, I think this is the sweetest. I was a Laker fan but not a huge basketball fan for the 2000-01 titles. Last year's was great because we got to see Kobe and Fish climb back to the top, Phil make history, and players like Lamar and Pau get their first ring, but they never really faced a memorable challenge aside from the Nuggets (I don't count the Rockets). But this year was tough, and to overcome everything that was stacked against them made the ultimate payoff that much more enjoyable.

Someone said that the word to describe this year's team was perseverance, which I think is perfect. They overcame nagging injuries to Kobe, more knee problems with Bynum, struggles with Ron and the offense, an inconsistent bench, Lamar's moonlighting on Keeping Up With the Kardashians, a terrible dunk contest performance from Shannon Brown, the threats of Cleveland in the East, a young and hungry Thunder team in the first round, a focused Suns team in the WCF, an aggressive Celtics defense in the Finals, a record-setting night from Ray Allen, a 3-2 deficit, one of Kobe's worst offensive showings of his career, and a 13-point hole in Game 7. Seeing them claw back into the second half of the deciding game was thrilling, but not completely unexpected, and it was a fitting way to win the title.

It was really moving to see Pau and Fish shed tears, Ron and Lamar jump around like kids, and Kobe unable to hold back that big grin. The emotions seemed to be running higher than last year. Perhaps it was being in front of the raucous home crowd, which certainly made things sweeter for me as a viewer.

It's even more rewarding when I think back to a lot of the great memories from this season, especially all those buzzer beaters from Kobe. It was an amazing year from the start, perfectly capped by an emotional championship. They took out the brightest star in the playoffs (the Thunder, at least in my opinion) and went on a revenge tour against Phoenix and the Celtics, taking care of whatever demons were still leftover.

My only disappointment is that we didn't get to see more shots and hear more stories of the disappointed Celtics players after Game 7. I at least wanted to see something from Paul Pierce and KG for all the talk that they were spitting through the previous two weeks.

[h2]Celtics Target Brad Miller[/h2]
Jun 27, 2010 7:17 PM EST

bos_40.gif
The Celtics have targeted Brad Miller in free agency, according to sources.

Miller joins Ray Allen as the other top priority of Boston.

The Celtics have their midlevel exception available to sign the 34-year-old Miller.

Miller is expected to be pursued by other teams, but the Celtics have definite appeal.

Via Yahoo! Sports

Boston Celtics

Read the Full StoryDiscussSend FeedbackBuy Tickets

DAMN!!! I wanted miller.

IF the issue isn't money, and it came to us and the celtics.......id imagine we'd be the clear favorites to get him.......................but with the recent picks we made in the draft, I assume PG is gonna be our main priority in free agencey

As for Brown, the 6-4 reserve guard will opt out of the final year ofhis two-year, $4.139-million contract by the June 30 deadline, hisagent, Mark Bartelstein, said Sunday.

"My guess is he's probably going to become a free agent," Bartelstein said.

Brown signed the two-year, "biannual exception" last year with theLakers. He made $1.990 million last season and was due to make $2.149million next season.

The Lakers own his "early bird" rights and could sign him for up tofive years and as high as the mid-level exception; the currentmid-level exception pays $5.8 million in the first year.
I dont see him coming back

How do you guys like Keyon Dooling?

He's a big PG, that can handle the ball, he's long, and his defense is okay. He's been injury prone before though.

^ not a good shooter.

Lakers need guys who can shoot so they can spread the floor which makes Pau and Andrew effective down low

Breezy is cool, but he ain't worth the mid level exception...DON'T DO IT MITCH!!

3997317938_b2315bb67b.jpg

Pros: 6'4 210 lb. Combo guard...27 years old...Career 37% 3PT...Can score in bunches...Good fit in triangle offense.
Cons: Inconsistent...Somewhat injury prone...Might be too expensive...Career 42% FG...Questionable defense.

I would re-sign Brown for $3 mil MAX.

If he goes, our bench is really going to take a hit. He and Farmar would be gone which means Fisher would be our only player capable of playing point, assuming he re-signs. Sasha, Luke, and Lamar would be the only bench players left unless we re-sign Powell and Mbenga, but it's already been said that that's unlikely. We only have the MLE and veteran minimums to sign players, which isn't much at all. We could sign our two draft picks but neither of those guys are backcourt players.

It'll be interesting to see what management does.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Pros: 6'4 210 lb. Combo guard...27 years old...Career 37% 3PT...Can score in bunches...Good fit in triangle offense.
Cons: Inconsistent...Somewhat injury prone...Might be too expensive...Career 42% FG...Questionable defense.
I would be VERY happy IF we can get Foye.
eek.gif
pimp.gif

I've been a fan since his 'Nova days. I loved his toughness back then.

Obviously, his career hasn't been as good as I expected, but i think he'd fit perfect in the Triangle.

Originally Posted by mogzz04

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

I would be VERY happy IF we can get Foye.
eek.gif
pimp.gif

I've been a fan since his 'Nova days. I loved his toughness back then.

Obviously, his career hasn't been as good as I expected, but i think he'd fit perfect in the Triangle.
Would be a good fit, but like stated b4 he is inconsistent. I thought he would transition over from Nova pretty easy. I guess not. i hope Breezy signs, nice size guard, can defend and attacks the basket

[h2]Celtics Expected To Court Mike Miller[/h2]
Jun 28, 2010 7:39 AM EST

bos_40.gif
The Celtics are expected to target Mike Miller in free agency.

Miller played for coach Doc Rivers earlier in his career.

The Celtics have their mid-level exception to use in free agency, which begins on Thursday at midnight.

Damn they want the other Miller too!!!

With Rasheed Wallace retiring, that team is disintegrating slowly, they only have a few players under contract, so they are gonna be major players in the free agency market.

LAKERS interested in MATT BARNES?

"I'm out in L.A. and I've heard that the Lakers are definitely interested. But who knows?" Barnes told the Sentinel by phone from Los Angeles, where the former UCLA forward attended John Wooden's memorial service and the BET Awards and is also planning his wedding.

http://articles.orlandose...neral-manager-otis-smith

Originally Posted by NIMO007

LAKERS interested in MATT BARNES?

"I'm out in L.A. and I've heard that the Lakers are definitely interested. But who knows?" Barnes told the Sentinel by phone from Los Angeles, where the former UCLA forward attended John Wooden's memorial service and the BET Awards and is also planning his wedding.

http://articles.orlandose...neral-manager-otis-smith

Barnes + Foye as our bench players 
pimp.gif

I wouldn't mind barnes at all
pimp.gif

Quick question, with B.Shaw seemingly about to take the cavs job, do y'all see B.Scott joining the staff even IF phil comes back?

IMO we need Matt Barnes off the bench... He provides everything that we need.

He's an athletic slasher that knows how to hustle. And he isn't a bad shooter either

So if its true that Shaw will be the next coach of the Cavs I wonder if he knows that Phil is coming back already or do we already have somebody ready to replace Phil if he does leave. Hmmm....I wonder.

So if its true that Shaw will be the next coach of the Cavs I wonder if he knows that Phil is coming back already or do we already have somebody ready to replace Phil if he does leave. Hmmm....I wonder.

Back
Top Bottom