Wrestling Thread 4/30-5/6 | 5/3 Extreme Rules PPV Prediction Contest Results Posted! p84

20120420largerawcenabro.jpg

It was a very quiet week in WWE as they had been overseas in Europe for nearly two weeks. �Usually, we get at least a few crazy stories from trips like that, but really nothing of note. �The crew flew back after yesterday's shows straight to Detroit where we will have a live, three hour Raw tonight.

Tonight's show was at one point earmarked for the draft. �There are rumblings of the draft being on the three-hour show on 6/11 from Hartford but anything that far out is subject to change. There was talk last week about not even bothering with a draft, given that everyone is on Raw every week anyway and guys like McIntyre, Del Rio, Kane and Show have switched brands back and forth. There is the feeling that some wrestlers need a change of scenery, with Ziggler’s and Orton’s name being mentioned, but the Smackdown house shows need Orton unless they move Punk to Smackdown and make him the star of the show, but then you get the title situation as Punk would have to lose, but if he lost and switched, that would end the Jericho program and that program has life left in it.

Anyway, back to tonight's non-draft edition of Raw, it is the go home show for Extreme Rules. �The only thing currently announced is the contract signing between John Cena and Brock Lesnar for their "Extreme Rules" match. �We know how contract signings usually end up. �Hopefully it's as good as their pull apart brawl two weeks ago on Raw. �And if Brock talks tonight, hopefully it's half as good as his pretaped interview last week where he called out John Cena. �That was the best, most realistic, believable promo we've seen in perhaps 10 years in WWE. �It felt like something straight out of a UFC Countdown Special or HBO's 24/7. �It didn't feel scripted. �It didn't have goofy jokes. �It didn't have him playing a character he isn't. �It was just Brock talking about how he was going to murder John Cena, and you believed every word of it. �Here it is if you missed it.

There's a lot to be said about having Lesnar face Cena in his very first match back with little build, but I'll wait until after tonight's Raw to make my final decision on the match.

Lord Tensai beat John Cena in an Extreme Rules match with the help of David Otunga to close Raw last week. �Tensai has not been clicking with the audience, and personally I think both his character and in ring style are terrible, but by giving him the win over Cena, it's clear WWE is still strongly behind him. �Right now, there is nothing scheduled for him at Extreme Rules. �Unless he gets involved in the main event (which is a strong possibility), I would have him in a handicap match where they can continue to build him as a monster by dominating two guys at once.

The biggest story of Raw last week (from London) was the YES chants. �We've seen very different crowds since WrestleMania. �The crowd two weeks ago in Washington, DC couldn't care less about Daniel Bryan. �The night after Mania and the London crowd loved him. �It's hard to predict what we'll see and hear in Detroit tonight. �It is of course a Supershow, so we should see all the main Smackdown guys tonight including Bryan, Sheamus, Cody, Show, Orton, Kane, DEL RIO (who was traded this past week), and possibly the soon to return Christian.

CM Punk will defend his WWE Title against Chris Jericho in a Chicago Street Fight at Extreme Rules. �I would love to see the rule variations between street fights in different cities. �I also think it's hilarious how many different ways WWE can name the same type of match (Chicago Street Fight, Extreme Rules, No Holds Barred, etc, etc). �Last week Jericho said he earned this title shot by what he's done to Punk. �What? �By losing clean at WrestleMania and then sneak attacking him? �I guess it doesn't really matter. �A small thing to nitpick in an otherwise strong promo. �I'm sure these two will have another good segment tonight.

And with three hours, you can be sure we'll get plenty of goofy matches and segments involved Santino, Brodus, Ziggler, Swagger, Teddy, Otunga, Laurinaitis, Hornswoggle, Truth, and others. �Great.

wp11280.jpg

The Great Debate - Sting

We had a very good discussion following WrestleMania around how Sting would draw for WWE in 2013, and if he is a Hall of Fame level performer (a legit Hall of Fame, not WWE).  I'm going to respond to some posts from that thread. However, I want to start with the disclaimer that I was always a WWF fan growing up. I did not watch NWA or WCW before the mid 90's when Hogan and other stars began to jump ship. I casually watched WCW Saturday Night and Clash of the Champions, but I never ordered a WCW PPV. I did not begin to closely follow WCW until the Nitro era began.

Originally Posted by gunnascott

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

i disagree with rock/brock as the biggest match ever.

that was hogan/rock, even hogan/warrior

taker/sting would be even bigger than rock/brock, but it wont happen
30t6p3b.gif

If you want to argue those Hogan matches, fine. But Sting/Taker? Stop. It's not a dream match. WWE fans wouldn't give a damn about Sting and most wouldn't even know who he is.
But, Rock/Brock will do a bigger live gate and better buyrate than any match, so it's hard to argue that it is not the biggest match of all time.
I don't think so.
1. Nothing will be bigger than Andre/Hogan or Austin/Rock at 17 comes close
2.The Rock barely affected ratings post WM27 not to mention the Survivor Series buyrate
3.You guys are crazy if you think Cena or Punkwon't somehow be involved in the main event at WM
4.Since WWE owns all of WCW's footage and archive it would be very easy to educate the peopleon who Sting and the older fans would pop crazyregardless

To GHIMS - I'll start here because this is the easiest argument. As I said previously, the current WWE audience will not care about Sting no matter how they try to promote him. Most of WWE's audience will not even know who Sting is. Sting would be an outsider, and WWE has a tremendous track record of completely failing with outsider angles. Also, Sting is an old man. No one is going to buy that a 50+ year old non-WWE creation is going to come in and beat The Undertaker. We've also repeatedly seen how WWE treats wrestlers that they didn't "create". Lastly, Sting and Undertaker have no connection to each other. A six week build with no historical connection is not going to do business.

To Gunna - Gates get larger every year. WM 29 in the NY market will be the largest live gate. The Rock brought in the largest buy rate in WM history this year with a relatively weak build. If they do a proper build for Rock/Brock (and that's a big if), it could easily reach 1.5 million buys. Cena and Punk can be involved in one of the many "main events" but it won't be the real main event. And as for WWE showing old WCW footage, this is just something they don't do. When is the last time you saw classic WWF footage on anything other than a WWE DVD? WWE wants to distance themselves from old school pro wrestling.

Originally Posted by casekicks

Sorry 4w but I disagree..Sting/Taker is a dream match..Sting/Austin is a dream match..Sting/Rock is a dream match..Sting/HBK is a dream match..Pretty much anyone Sting could wrestle in WWE is a dream match due to who he is..And I think you're dead wrong about the fans not giving a damn and not knowing who he is..I mean he was pretty much the face of a hugely successful wrestling promotion for well over a decade and is a major face of the #2 promotion in North America..
Just because Sting never wrestled these guys do NOT make them dream matches. It may be a match you want to see, but for the WWE audience (and I repeat that all of these arguments are based with the WWE audience in mind), they won't care to see Sting in any of these matches. Sting is just an old guy to them.

Sting is one of the faces of TNA, but while saying they are the #2 promotion in North America is true, they do a fraction of the business of WWE. This isn't WWF vs WCW in 1998. This is WWF vs WCW in 2001, only TNA is much smaller than WCW was.

In regards to being the face of WCW for over a decade, ok. He and Flair were probably the faces of WCW/NWA. However, from the about 1991 to 1995, WCW was trash, so I don't consider being the face of the company a plus. Things began to turn around in 1996. In 1997 when WCW really took off, Sting sat out the entire year. He won the title at Starrcade that year, but by the time we got into 1998, Goldberg was clearly the top face of the company. And after 1998, we know what happened to WCW.

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

People are really #!*#!$*% on "The Icon" Sting?

Listen, if Sting couldn't get the job done Vince wouldn't have attempted to sign him for last years Mania.

Here's the thing about Sting.

STING STILL IS AN ICON. Icon's don't die. That's what makes you an icon. You can't stop being an icon. I can't even believe I'm debating the fact but a lot of posts in here are just silly. Let me just make a few points here.

First of all..

Meltzer's the authority on professional wrestling among insiders since when? Meltzer's shunned by insiders within in the industry and they still use his dirt sheet to promote agendas by giving him false rumors. He gets good info from some leaky wheels and while his info is fun to read, I hold his Hall of Fame in no higher regard than I do the WWE's. So the fact that Sting isn't in the WO HOF means nothing.

2ndly. Let's talk money.

I don't know who was the highest paid WCW wrestler during the wars but I will tell you what Kevin Nash said about Sting was during the "Legends of Wrestling Roundtable" talks. He said it was a reference known in the wrestling world back then as "Sting Money". Everyone's goal was to make Sting money. Nash said you were paid based on how well you drew and your expectations. He also personally said that Hogan was not paid more than Sting in those days. That's a small indication as to how big Sting was.

Do you guys think the NWO was the single handed reason the WCW beat out the WWF in the ratings for 83 consecutive weeks? Hell no. Was the NWO's main target and feud not Sting for that long time period? The full focus was on Sting.

The question on everyone's mind was would Sting join the NWO. That was the target and the basis of that era drawing as much as it did. That was Sting. He was the focal point of a major feud/angle for almost 3 years w/Hogan and the NWO. That feud drew BIG money. Hogan knew the only person he could draw huge money in that feud at that time as Sting. I'm not saying the Sting drew Hogan/Stone Cold money, but he did draw, and he did have a company build their brand around him. You know how people say"Warrior never drew a dime"...not true...at the time he was on top EVERY SINGLE STAR in the WWE wanted to work with him. Why? Because knew thats where the money was and they'd draw the most by working with him.

Meltzer and a few others show the numbers when Sting got his first title reign and they were way down to the point that his run was considered a flop and they had to put the belt back on Flair. So, there's partial proof that he didn't draw well. I'll admit that. But, on the flipside I think Sting had more drawing power than people want to give him credit for. It takes two to tango so to give his opponents all the credit for drawing in buys is BS. I will also say that for a good chunk of the 90s the entire industry (stateside) was in a downturn. Do you take that in to account when gauging the drawing ability of any wrestler that had their ascension during that period? Nobody drew great and consistently until the NWO and Attitude Era.

Now, just like Triple H/Taker (Which I wasalwayssold on but I know initially people wern't) I know that many people would buy into Taker/Sting. It would be perfect for Sting. Same with Taker. Look at how amazing he looked Sunday. Give them limited dates and we know they would make a great match happen.

Given the promotion/video packages that we all know the WWE is capable of, they could easily generate TONS of interest in this match as only ONE of the featured matches @ WM. Taker is the draw and Sting could provide a great entertaining challenge for the streak that people would be into.

Sting wouldn't create any interest as Takers opponent? Really? You guys kill me sometimes.

Hulk Hogan is a far bigger icon than Sting ever was, and Hogan no longer draws, and hasn't drawn in a long time. "The Icon, Sting" was a WCW nickname. Yes, Sting is a legend. He was an important player in WCW's history. But that doesn't make him a Hall of Famer, nor does it make him a draw in 2013.

We've already debated about Meltzer. If you subscribed to his site, you would change your mind. And to say the Observer HOF is no higher than the WWE HOF is a foolish statement.

I'm not doubting you quoting what Nash said, but I don't necessarily believe him. First, WCW was throwing money around like it was on fire. So if one guy was making more money than another, I don't take that to mean anything in regards to drawing power. Second, I really doubt Sting was making more money than Hogan. Hogan and Bischoff were best buddies. Maybe Sting had a higher $ figure on his written contract, but between merchandise cuts, PPV %'s, and other perks, there is no way Sting was making more than Hogan. Bret Hart also signed for $2.5 million a year. I really find it hard to believe Sting had a bigger deal than this.

Sting sat out all of 1997, so don't tell me he's the reason WCW was winning the ratings. He was an important part of the build towards Starrcard at the end of 97, but you will never convince me that a guy who didn't wrestle was the reason WCW was on top. And once he did come back, as I said before, Goldberg was the focus in 1998, and WCW lost their ratings dominance as 1998 went on.

And in WWE, you cannot compare HHH to Sting. Not in WWE.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Sting = Bret Hart. Yea he was great as a top star when others were around to share that spotlight with but when he was the #1 dude, nah no thankyou.

I don't think Sting is relevant enough to be able to have folks caring about him. He is old, he is washed up, he is past his time. And most importantly, he is a NWA/WCW dude. WWE fans won't care about him (if they know who he is). So no, Sting doesn't need to be anywhere WWE related.

Are they talking about signing him or something? Why are we even talking about him?
DC you don't know about anything wrestling related past 99, though.

laugh.gif
But DC is right. Sting did not draw as well with Flair as other guys did. Same goes for his program with Vader.

laugh.gif

But none of that matters because Sting is a nobody. He is barely someone in TNA why the hell would anyone think he would be a semi-decent draw in WWF?

Because you're not looking at the big picture. Re-Read what I wrote in my prior post. Sting doesn't need to be the draw. Was Triple H/HBK the draw this year? Nope. But they added a key match that people loved watching. The same element could be implemented if Sting were ever to sign a one off with the WWE to work Mania with Taker.
Sting has become a great talker in his time in TNA, better than he has ever been in his career. But he's 53 years old. HHH is a better worker than Sting in 2012/2013. Plus, the story of Taker/HHH was far more compelling the past two years than anything they could do with Sting. I'll keep saying it. Sting is an old, outsider. Vince will not make this work, nor would WWE fans care.

Because you're not looking at the big picture. Re-Read what I wrote in my prior post. Sting doesn't need to be the draw. Was Triple H/HBK the draw this year? Nope. But they added a key match that people loved watching. The same element could be implemented if Sting were ever to sign a one off with the WWE to work Mania with Taker.

Why bring him in and have to pay him to be the 3rd main event? You have people currently employed already that can do that. That can be a better story than Sting. Not even worth the storywriting to put him into the mix.
How am I not seeing the bigger picture? What is the big picture that I am not seeing? The perks of bringing in a 50 year older to be a half/part-time performer? For what? Seriously why? What would be the point?

I just don't see the point and I don't see how it helps WWF.
Really? For entertainments sake.. Who currently employed could already do that?

Please, let's not get into perks of bringing in half time performers. It's clearly a strategy that's working for the WWE. One could argue why do that but the numbers don't lie. That's why Rock/Brock are back.
Please don't compare Sting to Rock or Brock. There is no comparison. Rock and Brock are both GLOBAL household names. Sting is nowhere near this.

Originally Posted by YardFather

Starrcade 97 did the highest buyrate of any WCW PPV ever, so how is it fair to say Sting never drew money?
Quoting self for emphasis.
Come on dude, he was wrestling the biggest villan in the business. Let's not credit Sting for all of that. Not to mention he was hyped up and didn't really wrestle for however long he was playing that "In the Rafters" nonsense. Plus it was Starrcade. The Grand Daddy of them all. He had every reason to draw that night.
It was a great build, no denying this. They took it slow, built it for a year. The biggestvillainagainst the "savior" of WCW. It all worked in combination. It wasn't just Sting. It wasn't just Hogan.

4w-Quit with the Meltzer salad tossing..Dude is a jerk and isn't nearly as respected in the industry as you want him to be..For every one person you can find in the business who thinks he's great, I can find one who thinks he's a petty, no talent, hack "journalist"..So lets just quit with the Meltzer talk, besides he's no Apter anyway..

And what's with you guys and all your Sting hate?..The man is a legend thats been in the business for almost 30 years and has the respect and admiration of some of the greatest of all time..If he is so overrated then why does Hogan, Flair, Rude, Nash, Hall, Vader, Race, Windam, Simmons, Luger, Austin, Anderson, Savage all have nothing but praise for the man and his ability in the ring and his professionalism outside of it?..If he's just a total turd like yall are making him out to be then why has he been given the World title over a dozen times and asked to carry the ball for the company and be the face of 2 major organizations..Why is it that Vince McMahon himself has said several times that he always wished he'd been able to do business with Sting and that Sting is the "One that got away" and has tried to get him to come up north everytime his contract is up?..If my boy is so horrible then how's come Undertaker has said for well over a decade that Sting is his top choice for "Person you never got to work with that you always wished you could"?..

Enought said..Argument over..Sting would be a huge WM event, but at the end of the day we all know it'll never happen..
Just as you think I'm bashing Sting, I think you are highly overrating him. Sting doesn't seem to have many enemies in the business. He was a likable guy that is friends with a lot of people, so that is big reason people speak highly of him. However, as I wrote above, he was the face of WCW during not the best of times, and being the face of TNA, a company that draws 8,000 buys on PPV is nothing to brag about on your resume.

I personally have never heard Undertaker say he wanted to work with Sting. I believe you that he has, I've just never heard it.

Quoting self for emphasis.

Come on dude, he was wrestling the biggest villan in the business. Let's not credit Sting for all of that. Not to mention he was hyped up and didn't really wrestle for however long he was playing that "In the Rafters" nonsense. Plus it was Starrcade. The Grand Daddy of them all. He had every reason to draw that night.

Hogan had been a villain for over a year and had headlined multiple PPVs against the likes of Piper, Flair, Savage, etc before Starrcade and wasn't drawing those numbers. Hogan doesn't deserve all the credit for the huge buyrate. People were paying to see Sting wrestle. Numbers don't lie:

[table]1996[tr][td]Pay Per View[/td][td]Datum[/td][td]Buyrate[/td][/tr][tr][td]Hog Wild '96 - Hogan vs Giant
[/td][td]10.08.1996[/td][td]0.62[/td][/tr][tr][td]Halloween Havoc '96 - Hogan vs Savage
[/td][td]27.10.1996[/td][td]0.70[/td][/tr][tr][td]Starrcade '96 - Hogan vs Piper
[/td][td]29.12.1996[/td][td]0.95[/td][/tr][/table]
[table]1997[tr][td]Pay Per View[/td][td]Datum[/td][td]Buyrate[/td][/tr][tr][td]Souled Out '97 - Hogan vs Giant
[/td][td]25.01.1997[/td][td]0.47[/td][/tr][tr][td]SuperBrawl VII - Hogan vs Piper
[/td][td]23.02.1997[/td][td]0.75[/td][/tr][tr][td]Uncensored '97 - Team NWO vs Team WCW vs Team Piper
[/td][td]16.03.1997[/td][td]0.89[/td][/tr][tr][td]Bash at the Beach '97 - The Giant & Lex Luger vs Hollywood Hogan & Dennis Rodman[/td][td]13.07.1997[/td][td]0.89[/td][/tr][tr][td]Road Wild '97 - Hogan vs Luger
[/td][td]10.08.1997[/td][td]0.65[/td][/tr][tr][td]Halloween Havoc '97 - Hogan vs Piper
[/td][td]26.10.1997[/td][td]1.10[/td][/tr][tr][td]Starrcade '97 - Sting vs Hogan
[/td][td]28.12.1997[/td][td]1.80[/td][/tr][/table]

There is no denying the buy rate like I said before. But the build was taking place for the entire year. Piper, Flair, Savage, etc, they were all just guys on the way to the match that people actually wanted to see. Plus, WCW was becoming a better company as the year went on as well. There are many factors that lead to that giant buyrate. Not just Hogan, not just Sting.

Why does it have to be HATE? Why is it you can't say anything non-positive about someone without being labeled as a hater? So since I know that he is irrelevant means I am a hater? Really? Come on man don't resort to that defense mechanism. Sting isn't important. You have folks in here claiming Undertaker/Sting > Brock/Rock. Come on now. If that I am doing is hating then that is the extreme opposite. We are simply saying Sting has no place in today's WWE vs. Taker @ WM. Doesn't mean we hate him nor does it mean that we don't know how much of a legend he is.

Nobody called him overrated. We simply said that when he was the #1 dude in the organization that the organization had some of their darker days. That is fact. Sting is Scottie Pippen. He is a great individual talent that has seen his better days in a supporting role. That isn't saying that when he was the #1 he was a bum but his BEST days are when he is co-featured. Sting vs. Flair. Sting vs. Hogan.

And yes we all wish Sting would have came over to WWE, but guess what? He never did. ANd NOW is not the time. That is all that we are saying. Not sure what you are reading when you claim people are disrespecting his CAREER. Nobody has done such a thing. We are simply saying he is nothing now. Point blank.
@YardFather, again Sting and Hogan (together) are what made that PPV such a success. If Sting vs. Piper, Nash, or anyone else that was hot at the time would not have made that much money. So to credit Sting with all of that $$$ made isn't right at all. Not once did I say Hogan deserved all of the credit. The combination of THEM is what made it such a hyped show. One without the other = garbage. Everyone wanted to see that MATCHUP.
I do consider DC a troll a lot of the time on NT, but I think he's a very good wrestling historian, better than I am. I agree with everything he said here.

As I mentioned before, Sting was always a great supporting cast member. Fan favorite yes. Super babyface. But when has he shown that he could be the #1 man? He never really got a chance to do so honestly.
vs. Flair (Horseman)
vs. Vader
vs. Hogan (NWO)

He was never THEE guy, he was always in the supporting role in all of his major feuds. I called him Scottie Pippen. Great talent, great supporting talent but not the dude.
Again, I agree with DC.

At the end of the day we all aren't going to agree and thats what makes this the best thread on NT..But I think most of will agree that a Rock/Brock Mania will be off the charts huge..And I think all of us (DC you don't count..lol) can agree that a Sting/Taker match would have been huge too..It's a shame it never got to happen, but so is Sting/HBK or Magnum/Hall or NWO/D-X..They'll all just have to remain dream match ups that won't happen..

Word.

I couldn't find it, but I also know some took offense when I said that Sting was out of shape for the Starrcade 97 match. Here is a direct quote from Eric Bischoff about that:

The infamous Starrcade 1997 Hogan vs. Sting main event was brought up next. Bischoff agrees that it was disappointing much like most people do. Bischoff said that there were backstage politics involved in what happened, but he also says that he has a tremendous amount of respect for Steve Borden but also mentions that when he showed up to Starrcade that night, he looked out of shape and not deserving of the crowning moment that was booked for him: I was disappointed for him because I didn't get the impression that he was taking and seizing this moment for what it could have been, and I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

I apologize if I missed anyone else's arguments/debates from the previous threads, but let's start the discussion again. I think it's a great debate.

I'm going to close with two pieces of audio.

This is Dave Meltzer, Bryan Alvarez, and Bruce Mitchell talking about Sting potentially going into the Observer Hall of Fame before the results were in (Oct 5, 2011). Feel free to listen to the whole show if you like, but if you want to skip to the Sting discussion, it begins at 45:47.

And here is the Oct 20, 2011 audio discussing the 2011 Observer Hall of Fame Class. Again, a great audio show with tons of history, but if you want to skip right to the Sting discussion, it begins at 1:12:12

Don't just bash Meltzer before listening. I'd much rather debate the points with you rather than you just saying "I don't like Meltzer, he's an idiot".

Like Case said, debates like this are what make the NTWT great.

Gotta work tonight 
ohwell.gif
Feels Batman

Hopefully something tonight adds a spark to Extreme Rules because Im just not feeling it.
eyes.gif

Thanks for posting that Brock vid, didnt catch it last week. I agree with you regarding them just letting him be him and how that is appreciated.

I also still crack up when he kicks his hat out of the ring.

After dropping money on the crappy UFC card this past weekend, I may pass on this upcoming weekend's PPV event. Perhaps tonigh's RAW will sway me.

Watched the Austin special last night. The segment on the SC/Bret Hart fued was awesome. Good watch.

DVR set for tonight. Last week was the first Raw I've missed in a while.

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

just set dvr.. I wonder how the WWE is going to fill the 3 hours timeslot.. 

With a bunch of %@##%!++ probably. [4W]3 hour long shows are always terrible[/4W]

With a bunch of %@##%!++ probably. [4W]3 hour long shows are always terrible[/4W]
Even when there is good stuff on the show, they drag so badly with meaningless and/or stupid filler, it makes them a real chore to sit through watching live.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Even when there is good stuff on the show, they drag so badly with meaningless and/or stupid filler, it makes them a real chore to sit through watching live.

According to WWE.com the contract signing is gonna open the show which I am all for, I hate having to wait for the closing moment just to see them "sign" a paper.

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Pictures from Hulk Hogan's sex tape..

IMG_12481.jpg

IMG_12451.jpg

I'm glad you posted this before me
laugh.gif
 That second pic
roll.gif
Thankfully the pics are very grainy

Back
Top Bottom