WU TANG CLAN APPRECIATION vol. G.O.A.T.

Interview delivered
pimp.gif

Been listening to 36 chambers and Forever the past few weeks. Best group of all time. Listened to Clan in the Front with my godson in the whip. 2 year old has been walking around saying "Wu, wu, wu, wu" for the past week. Can't wait to see these guys in January. RIP ODB.

Been listening to 36 chambers and Forever the past few weeks. Best group of all time. Listened to Clan in the Front with my godson in the whip. 2 year old has been walking around saying "Wu, wu, wu, wu" for the past week. Can't wait to see these guys in January. RIP ODB.

It's hard to explain to the younger generation just how big and influential WTC became. In an era before social media and even the popularization of the internet itself they ruled over the genre in a way that may have never been duplicated. And, they did all kind of firsts and peaked a little bit too soon to become the Jay-Zs and Puffys on the mogul level - not necessarily even saying they wanted to. But, what I am saying is that if the industry was in the place it was years later and the same types of marketing tools and technology were available - something like Wu Wear could have blown up bigger than any hip-hop-persona developed clothing line ever did. Nobody ever reached the level of hip hop cultural domination that Wu did at their highest height.

One of the most genius moves they did was RZA's instruction that the group sign to one label but the individual artists sign their solo deals at different labels - at all different labels. This made the entire hip hop industry invested in Wu Tang's success because everybody was at least bought on a little piece. He united the labels with a common interest the same way the group itself was formed for the common interest.

It's hard to explain to the younger generation just how big and influential WTC became. In an era before social media and even the popularization of the internet itself they ruled over the genre in a way that may have never been duplicated. And, they did all kind of firsts and peaked a little bit too soon to become the Jay-Zs and Puffys on the mogul level - not necessarily even saying they wanted to. But, what I am saying is that if the industry was in the place it was years later and the same types of marketing tools and technology were available - something like Wu Wear could have blown up bigger than any hip-hop-persona developed clothing line ever did. Nobody ever reached the level of hip hop cultural domination that Wu did at their highest height.

One of the most genius moves they did was RZA's instruction that the group sign to one label but the individual artists sign their solo deals at different labels - at all different labels. This made the entire hip hop industry invested in Wu Tang's success because everybody was at least bought on a little piece. He united the labels with a common interest the same way the group itself was formed for the common interest.

Back
Top Bottom