Your Next Vacation Destination.....?

Been looking into going to Tokyo Summer 2020 for the Olympics. Anybody doing the same? Anybody know anything about getting tickets to events? I can't find any solid info.

Heading out to Barcelona for my honeymoon on Monday for 5 days before the Maldives. Anyone have Barcelona recs?

Trying to decide on Thailand for Christmas and New Years, but I’ve got a few questions.

1) If I’m looking to party on NYE, should I stay in Bangkok or Phuket?
2) how do the natives respond to African Americans?
3) is it practical to fly to Bangkok, stay for 2 days, fly to Phuket for 2 days, and then head back to Bangkok for the remainder of the trip?
4) as far as currency conversions, how much US dollars would you recommend traveling with?
5) would you recommend this for a solo trip or would you suggest inviting a companion?

My plan is to leave the US either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, and return on Jan 2. I’d like to start in Bangkok, then head down to Phuket for a few days, then return to Bangkok to ring in 2019.

School me NT. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Trying to decide on Thailand for Christmas and New Years, but I’ve got a few questions.

1) If I’m looking to party on NYE, should I’ve in Bangkok or Phuket?
2) how do the natives respond to African Americans?
3) is it practical to fly to Bangkok, stay for 2 days, fly to Phuket for 2 days, and then head back to Bangkok for the remainder of the trip?
4) as far as currency conversions, how much US dollars would you recommend traveling with?
5) would you recommend this for a solo trip or would you suggest inviting a companion?

My plan is to leave the US either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, and return on Jan 2. I’d like to start in Bangkok, then head down to Phuket for a few days, then return to Bangkok to ring in 2019.

School me NT. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The US $ is very strong to the Thai baht.
It should go a long way.

Not too sure about Bangkok’s party scene but Phuket has nice beaches but it’s not like south beach at all . Bangla walking street is similar to bourbon street.

If you really want to party I suggest spending time on Phi Phi island.

Lots of backpackers travel alone through the southern Asian islands so you shouldn’t feel odd , but it’s always fun to have a companion

We flew in to Bangkok, then down to Phuket -phi phi - krabi then flew back up to Bangkok

^^^^^^I do. I just came back from Denver last week and going to Portland this week. My wife and I signed up for a companion pass this year with Southwest so it's pretty much buy one get one free. Sort of makes weekend trips manageable as long as it is close to California. I wouldn't do a weekend trip in say New York just cause the flight itself would be a pain.

^^^^^^I do. I just came back from Denver last week and going to Portland this week. My wife and I signed up for a companion pass this year with Southwest so it's pretty much buy one get one free. Sort of makes weekend trips manageable as long as it is close to California. I wouldn't do a weekend trip in say New York just cause the flight itself would be a pain.

How do you sign up for a companion pass? :nerd:

Do people in here just take weekend trips like 3 day trips often?

That’s all my life is.

Heading to Booston now, driving to Vermont and then Maine and then back to Booston. 2 weddings in 10 days so took a few days off in between.

I don’t think you can just simply sign up. You’d need to spend enough to have 110k Southwest Miles in a year to be eligible to get the Companion Pass

Also has anybody been to Milwaukee? Thinking of taking a trip out there in December to catch a Packers game. Gonna have a day or two in between the game to explore the city since I’m not planning on being in Green Bay at all other than for the game

Honestly my wife did it at the beginning of the year. Someone sent it to her on Facebook and there was like a month window to do it. Not sure if there was some sort of exception to signing up but she travels a lot for work and even leisure so maybe she was qualified to apply. The ironic thing is we hardly used it this year to really take advantage. All these short trips are fine but if you wanted to save real money, we would have gone on an international trip. We still have a window to do so but it's closing up pretty fast.

I’ll be going to:

-Vegas in December

-Puerto Vallarta in January. First time going. I’m open to any suggestions on things to do/see or places to eat. Not doing an all inclusive, so finding good spots to eat is at the top of my list lol.

Also, has anyone done Uber in Puerto Vallarta? I’m thinking about using Uber instead of a Taxi. Just wanna make sure it’s a safe option.

Looking at Costa Rica in early 2019 for our next trip. Anyone been? Want a mix of rain forest/nature, beaches, and some nightlife.

I went to turtle bay in Hawaii back in April for 12 days and fell in love over there .
nice I'm gonna look it up. what were some things to do around the resort and is it far from the city?
been to Oahu before but not that area. was thinking Maui could be an option

nice I'm gonna look it up. what were some things to do around the resort and is it far from the city?

I did 1 week in Maui earlier this year. 2nd time going, but first time as an adult. Place is beautiful and plenty of things to do everyday. Island is small enough to drive around and explore everywhere. I would recommend more than a 5 day stay, but wouldn’t turn down the opportunity if I only had 5 days to visit.

I’ll be going to:

-Vegas in December

-Puerto Vallarta in January. First time going. I’m open to any suggestions on things to do/see or places to eat. Not doing an all inclusive, so finding good spots to eat is at the top of my list lol.

Also, has anyone done Uber in Puerto Vallarta? I’m thinking about using Uber instead of a Taxi. Just wanna make sure it’s a safe option.

There is a Zoo at PV where you can touch and take pics of tiger and lion cubs as well as monkeys. There is also a dolphin meet and greet too.

Other than that, I had tacos on the streets and they were good but nothing you can't find in California. I think food in general there was okay....not great.

It was great it’s all inclusive so you really don’t have to leave the resort at all . There was , golfing , scooter tours, horseback riding , helicopter , surfing , about 4 really good places to eat , spas and the beach is the backyard . Only bad part it was on the opposite end of island so it was like a 30-40 min drive to the city . Whenever I go again I’ll book there again.

I’m tryna head to Cancun next week , anyone know the best place that’s all inclusive ? I’m looking to spend 3k plan on being there 4 days total

Back
Top Bottom