YOUR TOP 10 BEST NBA PLAYERS OF THE DECADE!...vol. no kelly

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

Can't believe no one posted this from the very informative Kelly Dwyer
laugh.gif
. He got most of the players right, but the order is just atrocious, especially Shaq.

[h2]http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...NBA-players-of-the-last-decade?urn=nba,194287[/h2]
[h2]The 10 best NBA players of the last decade[/h2]
By Kelly Dwyer

ept_sports_nba_experts-477008373-1254837157.jpg

OK, we know the first decade of the 21st century doesn't really end until 2011. We think. But we also know there have been 10 full NBA seasons played since the phrase "Y2K" was on all of our lips (1999-2000), and here at Ball Don't Lie we've decided to use this as an offseason excuse to rank some of the best and not-so-brightest of the 10 campaigns in question. The result? Why, top 10 lists!

Let's just skip to what people have been asking for since the beginning. The 10 best players.

Times have changed. You can't just figure out who goes where on a list after a series of spirited arm-wrestling tournaments, as was all the rage in the '80s. Magic won, by the way.

With that in place, if you don't mind, let's set a few ground rules. This is a team game, but this is a list of individual players. No player was awarded a higher or lower ranking because they got to play with better or nastier teammates. Defense is half the game, and if you are going to score, you better do it efficiently. Somehow, Flip Murray(notes) missed the cut.

So, here we are, finally. The 10 best players of the last decade. Read on.
http://
ept_sports_nba_experts-676554927-1254837192.jpg

10. Allen Iverson(notes)

There's a fair bit to criticize, but Iverson did score quite a lot and create shots for teams that truly needed him to score and create shots. And he's played for the duration of the decade in question, despite heaps of injuries.

And if this comes off as begrudging, it's because it is. I have a hard time selecting Iverson over people like Elton Brand(notes) or Chris Paul(notes) or even Vince Carter(notes), players who don't score as much, but contribute a great deal in all other areas of the game and score way, way more efficiently than Iverson ever did.

ept_sports_nba_experts-871838287-1254837217.jpg

9. Tracy McGrady(notes)

T-Mac was the best perimeter player in this league during 2002-03, better than who you think was the best perimeter player in this league, and he was only 23 at the time. Injuries took over from there, though McGrady has been a fine contributor, he's averaged only 55 games a season in his last four years, and the production has tailed off considerably from his peak with the Magic.

Still a terrific all-around player, though, and well-deserving of placement on this list.

ept_sports_nba_experts-595064221-1254837234.jpg

8. Dwyane Wade(notes)

Wade could run away with the MVP this year and work as this league's best player. He was at that level last season, among a couple of others, and the same went for 2005-06.

In between then, he missed 62 games over two years and only entered the league in 2003-04. So, despite the ring, that takes him down a peg in comparison to the players who were going at it for the entire 10-year run.

ept_sports_nba_experts-413781328-1254837254.jpg

7. Jason Kidd(notes)

He can't guard anyone, anymore, and though Kidd has sussed out that whole "jump shot" thing with the Mavericks (he's nearly hitting in the mid-40s from behind the arc over 110 contests with Dallas), that wasn't the case for a good chunk of the decade. And he was probably overrated, quite a bit, for a good chunk of the term.

He also defended like mad for most of the run, was an expert passer, scored, rebounded, led teams and worked as the best point man of the decade. Kidd might not be all-world anymore, but he was for long enough to throw up here.

ept_sports_nba_experts-418621020-1254837271.jpg

6. Shaquille O'Neal(notes)

Shaquille O'Neal, man among men, is only sixth on this list. It's been a pretty good decade.

Shaq turned in one of the great seasons of all time in 1999-00, but he's only averaged about 65 contests a season since then, he's been out of shape for a few of those years and ultimately disappointed a bit to these eyes.

He also was a beast down low, won four championships, produced some poorly rated summertime TV fare, Tweeted like a fiend, picked several lame fights and contributed to several playoff teams. Big man, big noise, big production.

ept_sports_nba_experts-588187716-1254837289.jpg

5. LeBron James(notes)

He's the game's finest player, but there is a quibble with the fact that LeBron didn't play a minute of NBA basketball from 1999 to 2003, while the others on this list were contributing at an MVP level and/or leading their teams to great things.

James is the real deal, though. He somehow exceeded the hype he was met with upon his arrival in the NBA, he contributed in every conceivable area, he led a truly awful Cavalier team to the Finals in 2007 and he seems poised to do other-worldly things for the next 15 years or so.

ept_sports_nba_experts-649338262-1254837311.jpg

4. Dirk Nowitzki(notes)

Dirk's second season was 1999-2000, and though his stats were relatively modest (17.5 points, 6.5 rebounds) compared to his eventual averages, the run did inform us that he was no bust worth fretting over. Sure, the non-busto signs were there from time to time during the lockout year, but 1999-00 is where we start to count.

And Dirk's been hotter than hell ever since. Scores at an efficient rate, rebounds, never turns the ball over, improved on defense considerably and he won games.

ept_sports_nba_experts-286360522-1254837326.jpg

3. Kobe Bryant(notes)

With the scoring titles and four rings (with several, possibly, left to come), Kobe has the finest trading card resume of any player on this list. But defense matters, and because he isn't a big guy, Bryant just can't compare to those who score nearly as much, but also change games defensively while pulling in twice as many rebounds.

For a guard, though, this man's accomplishments are sublime. He scores, he leads, he works, he yells, he frets, he complains when others don't seem to share his obsession with the game, and I can relate to that. A fine decade for Kobe Bean.

ept_sports_nba_experts-537935141-1254837348.jpg

2. Kevin Garnett(notes)

KG takes the cake over Kobe by a hair due to his defense, an area that isn't always accurately documented by statistics.

His stats, though, are pretty awesome. Garnett averaged over 20 points, 10 rebounds and five assists for six years. Only Larry Bird has come close to that, and you know damn well Bird wasn't defending or blocking and stealing (combined, usually more than three blocks/steals per game) like KG. Pity it took Garnett until he was 31 to get a team worth shouting about.

ept_sports_nba_experts-535054771-1254837375.jpg

1. Tim Duncan(notes)

Tim Duncan has led his team to four championships, three during the decade in question. He scores efficiently on either block, is a monster defender, rebounds like few others, draws huge amounts of attention when he has the ball offensively (something Kobe and KG, for all their gifts and for all the double-teams sent their way, just can't compare to), and he wins games.

Has he had great teams around him? Sure. But he's been better than everyone else.

If you really think about it, if you really deal with the game on the level it deserves, you know he's been the best. Really, it shouldn't even be a question. Tim Duncan's been the best player of the last decade.

Aint NO WAY KG should be above Kobe.

Dirk AND Lebron over O'Neal?
eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

The same O'Neal who won all those championships and was THE MOST DOMINATING player in the league for damn near half this decade.

AI should not be that low especially below D-Wade.

That list is pure basura

Who the hell is making these clown $## lists, they should be fired...

who in their right damn mind would put KG in front of Kobe?

Duncan, Shaq and Kobe should be the undisputed top 3. And LeBron should not be ahead of Dirk, Kidd, or AI.

10- D'Wayne Wade

ept_sports_nba_experts-595064221-1254837234.jpg

9- Steve Nash

27nash-600.jpg

8- Dirk Nowitzki

ept_sports_nba_experts-649338262-1254837311.jpg

7- Allen Iverson

ept_sports_nba_experts-676554927-1254837192.jpg

6- LeBron James

ept_sports_nba_experts-588187716-1254837289.jpg

5- Jason Kidd

ept_sports_nba_experts-413781328-1254837254.jpg

4- Kevin Garnett

ept_sports_nba_experts-537935141-1254837348.jpg

3- Kobe Bryant

ept_sports_nba_experts-286360522-1254837326.jpg

2- Shaquille O'Neal

ept_sports_nba_experts-418621020-1254837271.jpg

1- Tim Duncan

ept_sports_nba_experts-535054771-1254837375.jpg

KG and Timmy were considered 1 and 2 for the better part of the decade so I'm not surprised at the list. I don't necessarily agree with it though
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nyzMaGiciAn

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

1a. Kobe (has been dominant the entire decade: 4 rings)

1b. Duncan (same as Kobe: 3 rings)

3. Shaq (unstoppable from 2000-2003; then tailed off except for '06 in Miami, had a lull, but seems to have a little left in the tank: 4 rings)

4. KG (can't stand the guy, but he carried Minny for so long and finally got the chip with Boston
mad.gif
mad.gif
1 ring)

5. AI (best little man scorer in history, MVP, taking bunch of scrubs to the Finals)

6. Kidd (walking triple double, one of the best PGs of all time)

7. Dirk (MVP, took Mavs to Finals, consistent the entire decade)

8. Nash (2-time MVP
smh.gif
, ran one of the most exciting offenses in recent memory)

9. Bron (MVP, gonna definitely be at the top of the list for the next decade)

10. Wade (Finals MVP and performance for the ages even if it was with the help of the striped shirts: 1 ring)
Sounds about right.
smokin.gif

Sorry, Nash ain't making my list either.

No order:

Shaq
Bron
AI
Wade
Kidd
Duncan
KG
Dirk
Hiss

Vince/Pierce/T-Mac would battle it out for that last spot with Pierce probably getting the edge for winning a chip over the other two (even though that's amore team-oriented accomplishment).

Can't believe no one mentioned Pierce.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

01- Whooped by the Bucks in 4, averaged about 33/6/8, but they still lost, plus 41% from the field. The team they lost to was one of the better ones, with Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson, Sam Cassell, Tim THomas, Lindsey Hunter. The Magic had Tracy, Darrell, Pat Garrity, Bo Outlaw, Mike Miller and a bunch of other dudes with not too much significance.

02- Lose in 4 again to the Hornets, averaging 30/6/5, and lost again. Not a terrible team, they had Ewing at the end of his career!
laugh.gif
, but also had Darrell Armstrong,Troy Hudson, Mike Miller, and Pat Garrity, yeah they got destroyed.
laugh.gif
Thing is they lost to Baron, David Wesley, Elden Campbell, Magloire, PJ Brown, and Stacey Augmon, Tracy could do better than that.

03- A little better team this year, had Drew Gooden who was realyl good for them, averaging 14/13 in the Playoffs, they had Vaughn, Giricek, and Shawn Kemp too, Tracy averaged 32 7 and 5, but still lost to some guys named the Pistons.
laugh.gif
. Took em to seven, but choked it away, losing three straight. After going 2-1, Tracy shot about 35% for the rest of the 4 games in that series.
do you realize that stating McGrady's massive playoff numbers and then stating his team still managed to lose doesnt help your argument?

a star player can only do so much.
Vaughn, Giricek, and Shawn Kemp too,
i mean you're saying should have won a series because they had jacques vaughn, gordon giricek, and a POST CAVS SHAWN KEMP.
laugh.gif

A certain star player carried the damn SIXERS to the FINALS. He's had his chance to get out of the first round, and he failed, on multipleoccasions. You go to 3 game sevens and you can't close out any of those times.

The players I listed were not that great, but they sure helped more than the scrubs that were on the rest of the teams. Were they good talent? No not really,but even when Tracy HAD some players around him, like when he had Vince, or when he had Battier/Yao healthy, still came up short. Not to mention you win in thefirst round WITHOUT him? That doesn't sit well in my stomach.

Averaging 30/5/5 but shooting 40% is going to lead you no where fast. No those aren't his exact numbers, but when it matters, that's about right. Giveme someone who can win a series over someone who puts up good stats, anyday.

There is not a chance in hell I can put Tracy over someone like Nash, or Billups, and honestly I was iffy on Iverson. Hell someone like Shawn Marion puts upnumbers like 36/20, 32/19, 20/15, 39/9, 19/19, 24/13 in a postseason where their team wins, that's a lot more impressive to me than saying I got 30/5/5 andshot 40% and my team lost.

Any of the players listed could at least carry a bare-boned team to at least the second round, Tracy didn't do that, despite numerous efforts. He'salso been injury-prone most of the decade. So does Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway deserve to be Top-10 of the 90s? I wouldn't put them on there. Could they havebeen? Sure, but they both were on crutches most of their career.

Nash is phenomenal in the post-season, so he hasn't made it to the Finals, big deal. They just couldn't get past the Spurs. He went from being anabove-average PG in Dallas to being an elite PG in Phoenix. But he ALWAYS shot well, he ALWAYS passed well, those Phoenix teams just had tons of successbecause there were athletes. Nash put his team on his back in 05 to beat Dallas after being 2-2, and int he prior game put up a phenomenal 48. The next twogames he closed out with 34/12/13 and 39/12/9 to destroy the Mavericks. If McGrady was on that level, he should be able to put his team on his back for a gameor two to close-out a series.

He's in that second-tier, 11-20 group, he has no business being in top 10 for ZERO playoff success and being oft injured.

And SHUGHES, PP is probably 11 for me on my list, I'd take Iverson off and put PP in probably.

My 11-15 would probably consist of Webber, PP, Vince, Tracy, Chauncey. If I put more thought into it I could pound out five more names to fill out a top 20,but I just can't think of anyone who comes to mind, TP? Manu? Shawn Marion? JO? I don't know, probably TP, Manu, Marion, maybe Yao and Carmelo maybe.I'm sure I'm missing an obvious choice that was good in the early 2000s, maybe sneak in a Steve Francis in there somewhere.

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

3. Shaq (unstoppable from 2000-2003; then tailed off except for '06 in Miami, had a lull, but seems to have a little left in the tank: 4 rings)

4. KG (can't stand the guy, but he carried Minny for so long and finally got the chip with Boston
mad.gif
mad.gif
1 ring)

5. AI (best little man scorer in history, MVP, taking bunch of scrubs to the Finals)

8. Nash (2-time MVP
smh.gif

10. Wade (Finals MVP and performance for the ages even if it was with the help of the striped shirts: 1 ring)
Sounds about right.
smokin.gif
I agree with this post.

Originally Posted by BangDak

bron and wade personally would be on the very bottom, if even making it.
steve francis had potential to be on this list at the beg of this decade, but we all know hwo that turned out.

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by iLL Since 92

Your list is null & void if T-Mac is not included. Period.
sick.gif

Tracy is a glorified stat @$%#* who can't put it together when it matters.

You can say oh well he still plays well.

Yeah, he's played well for 8 or 9 postseasons, not once has he made it out of the first round.

00- Young buck back then, whooped by the Knicks. 17/7/3, but their team was decent, had VC, Tracy, Doug Christie, Charles Oakley, and Antonio Davis, with Dell Curry, Kevin willis and Muggsy too.

01- Whooped by the Bucks in 4, averaged about 33/6/8, but they still lost, plus 41% from the field. The team they lost to was one of the better ones, with Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson, Sam Cassell, Tim THomas, Lindsey Hunter. The Magic had Tracy, Darrell, Pat Garrity, Bo Outlaw, Mike Miller and a bunch of other dudes with not too much significance.

02- Lose in 4 again to the Hornets, averaging 30/6/5, and lost again. Not a terrible team, they had Ewing at the end of his career!
laugh.gif
, but also had Darrell Armstrong,Troy Hudson, Mike Miller, and Pat Garrity, yeah they got destroyed.
laugh.gif
Thing is they lost to Baron, David Wesley, Elden Campbell, Magloire, PJ Brown, and Stacey Augmon, Tracy could do better than that.

03- A little better team this year, had Drew Gooden who was realyl good for them, averaging 14/13 in the Playoffs, they had Vaughn, Giricek, and Shawn Kemp too, Tracy averaged 32 7 and 5, but still lost to some guys named the Pistons.
laugh.gif
. Took em to seven, but choked it away, losing three straight. After going 2-1, Tracy shot about 35% for the rest of the 4 games in that series.

04- The team sucked, they didn't make it to the Playoffs. For what it's worth (not much), he had a good statistical year with 28/6/5.

05- New team, new attitude, still can't put together a playoff series. Starting to run low on excuses when you have Yao. It's not like the Dallas team was stacked either... Marquis, Stackhouse, Terry, Finley, Nowitzki, a raw Howard, and Dampier.
laugh.gif
Lost in 7, shooting sub-40% for a game 7, how familiar.

06- 24/6/5 for Tracy, but an injury filled one, didn't make the playoffs, and made a HUGE upgrade in talent for the following year.

07- Alright, another seven game series... against playing the Jazz, a much better team with Shane Battier, Hayes, Alston, Head, and both Yao and Tracy healthy against Deron Williams, Okur, Boozer, and AK47? Oh they lost again.. to Tracy's credit, he shot 48% in game 7, but averaged 39% for the series.
sick.gif

08- They add Landry, Scola, Yao's out, but they also have Brooks and Head, Tracy plays MUCH better in a close-out, they still lose. In three of their four losses, he shoots 33%, 40%, and 36%. Lose again to the Jazz in 7.

09- THEY MAKE IT TO THE PROMISE LAND! HORRAY FOR THE SECOND ROUND!! Oh wait what? Tracy didn't play? Give me a break.

A career 43% from the field player is heralded as a great perimeter player, but 43% don't sound too good to me. He can put up the numbers, he's very talented don't get me wrong, he has the entire repetroire, but he just can't put it together, for that, not top 10 matieral.

wasting too much time on tmac. move on b/c tmac is def top 10 and your opinions don't count . that's for sure

Originally Posted by Frank 7he T4nk

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

mad.gif
mad.gif
1 ring)

8. Nash (2-time MVP
smh.gif

Sounds about right.
smokin.gif
I agree with this post.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ KOBE BEING NO.1... 1 FINALS MVP SUMS IT UP. HE'S AROUND NO.3 OR 4.
ANYTHING HIGHER YOU'RE A HOMER INDEF!

steve francis had potential to be on this list at the beg of this decade, but we all know hwo that turned out.

indifferent.gif

He's right neither deserve to be higher than 7.

Originally Posted by PRETTYPLAYA

Originally Posted by iLL Since 92

Your list is null & void if T-Mac is not included. Period.
sick.gif

Tracy is a glorified stat @$%#* who can't put it together when it matters.

You can say oh well he still plays well.

Yeah, he's played well for 8 or 9 postseasons, not once has he made it out of the first round.

00- Young buck back then, whooped by the Knicks. 17/7/3, but their team was decent, had VC, Tracy, Doug Christie, Charles Oakley, and Antonio Davis, with Dell Curry, Kevin willis and Muggsy too.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

04- The team sucked, they didn't make it to the Playoffs. For what it's worth (not much), he had a good statistical year with 28/6/5.

05- New team, new attitude, still can't put together a playoff series. Starting to run low on excuses when you have Yao. It's not like the Dallas team was stacked either... Marquis, Stackhouse, Terry, Finley, Nowitzki, a raw Howard, and Dampier.
laugh.gif
Lost in 7, shooting sub-40% for a game 7, how familiar.

06- 24/6/5 for Tracy, but an injury filled one, didn't make the playoffs, and made a HUGE upgrade in talent for the following year.

07- Alright, another seven game series... against playing the Jazz, a much better team with Shane Battier, Hayes, Alston, Head, and both Yao and Tracy healthy against Deron Williams, Okur, Boozer, and AK47? Oh they lost again.. to Tracy's credit, he shot 48% in game 7, but averaged 39% for the series.
sick.gif

08- They add Landry, Scola, Yao's out, but they also have Brooks and Head, Tracy plays MUCH better in a close-out, they still lose. In three of their four losses, he shoots 33%, 40%, and 36%. Lose again to the Jazz in 7.

09- THEY MAKE IT TO THE PROMISE LAND! HORRAY FOR THE SECOND ROUND!! Oh wait what? Tracy didn't play? Give me a break.

A career 43% from the field player is heralded as a great perimeter player, but 43% don't sound too good to me. He can put up the numbers, he's very talented don't get me wrong, he has the entire repetroire, but he just can't put it together, for that, not top 10 matieral.
wasting too much time on tmac. move on b/c tmac is def top 10 and your opinions don't count . that's for sure
Oh sorry sir, please enlighten me with the truth.
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif

Instead of being ignorant and saying, "you're wrong your opinion doesn't count," try showing how he deserves to be in that top-10.

He'd be the only player on that list not to make it out of the first round. The only other guys who have don't have MVP trophies, carried their teamsto the Finals. I am sorry but I'm not taking an injury prone talented player over someone who's either an MVP, a Finals MVP, or hell even Vince Carteror Paul Pierce when it's all said and done.

Since we have guys with 6-7 years in here, can I ask why Paul can't be on the list?

Certainly, he's had better seasons then another guy I know. He just didn't get fake trophies for them.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by JsindaA

indifferent.gif

Very bottom implies 9 and 10. Wade and particularly Lebron has done enough to be in higher that.

I'm still not understanding how people are putting Kobe at #1 over Timmy. Lots of homerism going on here. Kobe should be at most #2

Originally Posted by JsindaA

indifferent.gif

Very bottom implies 9 and 10. Wade and particularly Lebron has done enough to be in higher that.

And I'd put them right there....however an argument can certainly be made over Nash and maybe Dirk for Wade hence 7. Bron hasn't done anything more tobe considered higher than Wade at this point besides being more popular.

Back
Top Bottom