2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were down 0-2 to the Pistons and came back and won the series? The pistons were a #1 seeded eastern team?

Did you even watch that series?! If so, how was that a "insanely easy" series? :smh:

The Pistons were the only team they played that even belonged in the playoffs. And they weren't a great team by any means... The decline had already begun.

That was their only challenge on the way to the finals.

they were getting 6 blocks a game from their front court.  THAT is elite.
Clarify that stat please? Six BPG over 82 games? The playoffs? Finals? In this case you have to specify. I can't remember if they average 6 BPG in the finals against the Lakers. Either way, they were outmatched in the finals.

Ok ok, I mispoke, I just remembered that that 6'ers traded Ratliff for Mutumbo

I don't give a damn what hate you wanna spew on them. That team was led by one of the greatest scorers in NBA history's best year, Larry Brown's best coaching job and AWESOME role players. Mutombo, Geiger, Snow, Mckie, Tyrone Hill, Lynch, Jermaine Jones, Ollie and Buford weren't anything special individually but they were a hell of a team the way they played together and played their role perfectly next to Iverson. They had some straight up goons on that squad. That team had heart.

I can't think of another team that swept the awards like that either. Even Croce won Executive of the Year that year too. I guess Pepe Sanchez had to win ROY for them to be considered a decent team though.....

That was a well-put together team that doesn't get enough credit. That was my favorite team to watch because they were gritty.

Shaq was just too dominant for the sixers though.

I don't think this was posted:

NBA All-Star 2014: Pharrell Williams, Janelle Monae, Kendrick Lamar Among Performers

The NBA has unveiled the list of headlining musical artists at its All-Star Weekend in New Orleans later this month, with Pharrell Williams continuing his hot streak by headlining the Entertainment Series presented by Sean John at Macy's. The NBA All-Star Game will take place at New Orleans Arena on Feb. 16.

Pharrell, whose solo hit "Happy" enters the Top 10 of the Hot 100 this week, will perform during the player introductions, and will be bringing out some special guests. The producer scored two of last summer's biggest hits with Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" and Daft Punk's "Get Lucky," and has also been confirmed to perform "Happy" at the upcoming Academy Awards.

Meanwhile, the NBA All-Star Game halftime show will consist of a New Orleans-influenced collaboration between Earth, Wind & Fire; Janelle Monae; Dr. John; Gary Clark Jr.; and city native Trombone Shorty with his band Orleans Avenue. Shorty and Orleans Avenue recently performed alongside Macklemore & Ryan Lewis at the GRAMMY Awards, while Monae was honored as Billboard's Rising Star at last year's Women In Music event.

Kendrick Lamar has been tapped to headline the Saturday night (Feb. 15) of NBA All-Star weekend, with a performance prior to Sprite Slam Dunk. Finally, Clark Jr. and Serena Ryder have been confirmed to perform the U.S. national anthem and Canadian national anthem, respectively, at the NBA All-Star Game on Sunday.

Performers will be announced shortly for the Sprint Pregame Concert before the NBA All-Star Game, which will air live on TNT at 8:00 pm ET. Last year's NBA All-Star Weekend included performances from Alicia Keys, Fall Out Boy, Ne-Yo and Phillip Phillips.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...l-williams-janelle-monae-kendrick-lamar-among

Adam Silver's choice in music >>>

Clarify that stat please? Six BPG over 82 games? The playoffs? Finals? In this case you have to specify. I can't remember if they average 6 BPG in the finals against the Lakers. Either way, they were outmatched in the finals.
For some reason, I forgot that too 
laugh.gif

As far as Lebron's early Cavs teams, they were severely overrated. He's such a good team player, he really did mask how garbage a lot of his supporting cast was. Prior to Miami, the best he ever had in his career was Carlos "Black Ice" Boozer. Then Cleveland let him walk. I been saying for years if I was Lebron, I would have bounced after that. They showed no effort to give him help.

I don't give a damn what hate you wanna spew on them. That team was led by one of the greatest scorers in NBA history's best year, Larry Brown's best coaching job and AWESOME role players. Mutombo, Geiger, Snow, Mckie, Tyrone Hill, Lynch, Jermaine Jones, Ollie and Buford weren't anything special individually but they were a hell of a team the way they played together and played their role perfectly next to Iverson. They had some straight up goons on that squad. That team had heart.

I can't think of another team that swept the awards like that either. Even Croce won Executive of the Year that year too. I guess Pepe Sanchez had to win ROY for them to be considered a decent team though.....
how were they better than any finals team other than the cavs and nets?

they exceeded expectations but they were not a great team. goons and heart =/= talent and it showed when they finally played a real team in the finals

there's a reason that was the only year they made the conference finals let alone the finals, its not every year you get to play a bunch of subpar teams

regular season awards dont mean anything in the playoffs

The '01 Sixers were on fumes by the time they got to the finals. There were 19 possible games leading up to the finals, the Sixers played 18. The Lakers meanwhile played 12, one more than the minimum 11. That's not saying the Sixers would've won but they sure as hell had it a lot longer road. I was surprised they even won Game 1.

Lakers had only played 11.

3-0
4-0
4-0

First round back then was best of five, LA was undefeated heading into the Finals.

They were down 0-2 to the Pistons and came back and won the series? The pistons were a #1 seeded eastern team?

Did you even watch that series?! If so, how was that a "insanely easy" series? :smh:

The Pistons were the only team they played that even belonged in the playoffs. And they weren't a great team by any means... The decline had already begun.

That was their only challenge on the way to the finals.

How were they on the decline when they came right back and won more games than any other Western Conference team and made it too the ECF?

I don't think this was posted:

NBA All-Star 2014: Pharrell Williams, Janelle Monae, Kendrick Lamar Among Performers

The NBA has unveiled the list of headlining musical artists at its All-Star Weekend in New Orleans later this month, with Pharrell Williams continuing his hot streak by headlining the Entertainment Series presented by Sean John at Macy's. The NBA All-Star Game will take place at New Orleans Arena on Feb. 16.

Pharrell, whose solo hit "Happy" enters the Top 10 of the Hot 100 this week, will perform during the player introductions, and will be bringing out some special guests. The producer scored two of last summer's biggest hits with Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" and Daft Punk's "Get Lucky," and has also been confirmed to perform "Happy" at the upcoming Academy Awards.

Meanwhile, the NBA All-Star Game halftime show will consist of a New Orleans-influenced collaboration between Earth, Wind & Fire; Janelle Monae; Dr. John; Gary Clark Jr.; and city native Trombone Shorty with his band Orleans Avenue. Shorty and Orleans Avenue recently performed alongside Macklemore & Ryan Lewis at the GRAMMY Awards, while Monae was honored as Billboard's Rising Star at last year's Women In Music event.

Kendrick Lamar has been tapped to headline the Saturday night (Feb. 15) of NBA All-Star weekend, with a performance prior to Sprite Slam Dunk. Finally, Clark Jr. and Serena Ryder have been confirmed to perform the U.S. national anthem and Canadian national anthem, respectively, at the NBA All-Star Game on Sunday.

Performers will be announced shortly for the Sprint Pregame Concert before the NBA All-Star Game, which will air live on TNT at 8:00 pm ET. Last year's NBA All-Star Weekend included performances from Alicia Keys, Fall Out Boy, Ne-Yo and Phillip Phillips.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...l-williams-janelle-monae-kendrick-lamar-among

Adam Silver's choice in music >>>

OK adam :pimp:

That series LeBron vs Detroit was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in sports. Since that series, nothing but respect for his game.

Happy Janelle Monae is getting shine.

No idea why John Wall is in the dunk contest.

And to my Oreo lovers in here. Cookie Doigh Oreos taste like coffee and the marshmallow are incredible.

A lot of stuff happens in this thread that I don't see coming, but a multi-page discussion in 2014 about how good the '01 Sixers really were is right at the top of the list.

For some reason, I forgot that too 
laugh.gif

As far as Lebron's early Cavs teams, they were severely overrated. He's such a good team player, he really did mask how garbage a lot of his supporting cast was. Prior to Miami, the best he ever had in his career was Carlos "Black Ice" Boozer. Then Cleveland let him walk. I been saying for years if I was Lebron, I would have bounced after that. They showed no effort to give him help.
I feel like this is overblown, that year Lebron was giving them 27, 6.7 and 6, and was by far their best player, but they had some solid players on that squad

Larry Hughes gave them 15, 4, 4 and 1.3 steals

Big Z game them 12, 8 and 1.3 blocks

Gooden gave them 11 and 8.5

with 4 other players averaging between 6.6-10 ppg

thats a solid team imo

Kyrie is definitely gone. Mike Brown is definitely gone. Dan Gilbert is gonna clean house.

Bynum isn't gonna hold up during the second half of the season. Pacers signing was useless.

KD has definitely been 1.b to LeBreezy's 1.a for being the best player in the world.

Looks like Rondo has been getting his timing back. Two wins in a row, let's go Celtics! [emoji]127808[/emoji]

Mike Brown has no backbone as a coach

Yeah true

blazers pacers tonight 
pimp.gif

6ers get their shot at the undefeated 4 man lakers squad

kyrie vs wall

melo vs his old team

clippers raptors dunk off

klove vs AD

How were they on the decline when they came right back and won more games than any other Western Conference team and made it too the ECF?

Making the ECF in that era is meaningless. They never did anything significant again before falling apart.

You originally said "And they weren't a great team by any means... The decline had already begun." They came back and won 59 games, 6 more games than they won the previous season. They had more wins than any other team in the West that year. How is that declining?

The Pistons went to the ECF 6 times in that era, you can't discredit that as meaningless. Even when the West had it's down years, what team accomplished anything close to that?

Last edited:
That series LeBron vs Detroit was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in sports. Since that series, nothing but respect for his game.

Happy Janelle Monae is getting shine.

No idea why John Wall is in the dunk contest.

And to my Oreo lovers in here. Cookie Doigh Oreos taste like coffee and the marshmallow are incredible.

Maybe you should actually watch him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom