2015 NEW YORK YANKEES OFFSEASON THREAD VOL. Baseball is in the air

And with another season on the horizon where we probably won't make the playoffs and or certainly won't win a ring...why not have Sevarino, Bird, Judge, Williams on the main roster from the get go. Sure up the bench and let the young kids get a taste of what will hopefully be their permanent jobs next year!!!!!!!! It's baffling to me. I hate how young players are treated in baseball. From the stupid eligibility and contract nonsense to not wanting to pay them to being scared they won't product yadda yadda yadda. Sick of it.

At this point, of not making the playoffs multiple times over the last decade, WHY NOT TAKE A NEW APPROACH TO HOW THINGS ARE DONE.

Oh wait...because this is baseball and changing things is sacrilegious.........

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:lol:

dog u need to calm down, it's wayyy too early :lol:

Headly flashin some leather already :smokin

I'm just frustrated. You'd think after a few bad years we would kinda...you know...care about changing it up. But noooooooooooope

:lol:

we'll be aight ... just hurts to not see #2 out there . that's gonna take alot of gettin used to ...

yo Headly is money at third, perfect throw home on one knee :smokin

Arod just went to play catch with that first baseman glove :lol:

already losing :smh:

all jokes aside I like our youth, I think we got something for real. if stephen drew can remember how to catch our infield is gonna be money :smokin

Arod looked fine, just gonna have to deal with hittin fastballs cause it looks like thats all they wanna throw him right now. once he does that he might be able to put on a show :smokin

hopefully ...

I think what the Yankees are trying to do is get back to the 90s teams. That's why this offseason was almost entirely about getting young talent. Trim the fat, the best we could.

I don't agree with us letting D-Rob go, but it was to net us a compensatory 1st Round Pick after we got a replacement.

Where they screwed the pooch, was not getting Moncada.. Should have just put up with the extra money, because it wasn't spending on some 29 year old 2B, he's still a teenager.

Last edited:
Cash needs to stop showing us his chest hair. every year he tries to get tougher and tougher, relax homie ...

if someone deserves it so be it. I don't think it should be right away but we'll know. take it easy Costanza ...

and yeah, I wanted Moncada, we ****** up there :smh:

yanks playin now :smokin

Gardner's gonna have a BIG year, I feel it, he's the one :smokin

Arod 1st AB got the cheapest ground rule double ever :lol:

It is a new age for the Yankees -- and by the way, Jason Heyward is a free agent this winter

TAMPA -- The star power in the Yankees clubhouse used to overwhelm: An icon here, a Hall of Famer there, a legend in the corner. Walking in this year, you’re struck by the youth and anonymity -- with a few lingering exceptions, it’s a bunch of guys trying to make it, just like everywhere else.

This first post-Jeter year represents a true and deep change for the franchise, a turn toward youth and athleticism, and away from bloated contracts. Not only is the Core Four gone, but there is no Max Scherzer or Jon Lester or Troy Tulowitzki to replace their celebrity.

Nathan Eovaldi, the 25-year-old power pitcher who excelled in Monday’s game and cost Brian Cashman veteran Martin Prado, is one example of the new way. And we’ve just turned up a move that did not happen, but provides a peek into the GM’s methods and priorities, as he reshapes an organization.

According to two major league sources, the Yankees and Atlanta Braves were talking more than we knew over the winter, in addition to swapping Manny Banuelos and David Carpenter. The Yanks were interested in what would have been a blockbuster acquisition of outfielder Jason Heyward and shortstop Andrelton Simmons.

On Monday, Cashman would not confirm his offseason interest -- it is rare for a GM to publicly discuss players belonging to other teams -- but here is what we were able to gather elsewhere: Before the Yanks acquired shortstop Didi Gregorius, they asked Atlanta about Heyward and Simmons. It is not clear what the Braves would have wanted in return, and it is possible that talks never progressed to the concrete offer phase.

Atlanta was obviously willing to move Heyward, because they later traded him to St. Louis. As for Simmons, perhaps the best defensive shortstop in baseball? The way I heard it from a source, the Braves receive frequent inquiries, always listen, but are not inclined to deal him.

Had the Yankees acquired Heyward, my understanding is that they would have made Carlos Beltran the primary designated hitter (a position where Alex Rodriguez will also see some time), and would not have acquired Garrett Jones.

Although these talks are obviously long dead, we can glean from them a few insights about the way forward for the Yankees, who finally have a sizable group of legitimate prospects.

First, the GM is constantly exploring trades, more actively now than free agents. He has become skilled at keeping quiet while working; the media did not catch a sniff of the five-player deal in December that that sent Prado and David Phelps to Miami for Eovaldi and Jones.

We are learning of this Heyward/Simmons idea months after it was possible. The takeaway is that you should always assume Cashman is eyeing and discussing interesting trades that we have not yet imagined.

Asked how often he is working on moves that go undetected, the GM said, “Every day. You do your job every day.”

Heyward and Simmons are excellent players, but they are a different breed of star than than who the Yankees have pursued in recent years: Young, athletic, still relatively inexpensive. It is hard to imagine the team pursuing 30-something free agents like Beltran, Jacoby Ellsbury and Brian McCann any time soon.

Oh, but speaking of free agency? Heyward will be one this winter, at age 26, unless he signs an extension with the Cardinals first (and that seems unlikely). And if the Yankees liked him once…

Whoever the Yanks acquire, it is clearer now than ever before that the franchise is entering a fresh era, where sustainability might even approach the importance of win-now. So out with the old -- and keep your eye on that stealthy GM.

There was also a report that no one has even been close to Hamels because Philly wants too much. Yankees might have been closest but they were still far away.

Back
Top Bottom