2016 Academy Awards/Oscars - Nominees Announced Today - February 28th

not in my opinion. i thought he did great. was very believable and i felt invested to see him succeed. dialogue isn't the only gauge of performance and i think physically, he excelled as well. you wanna know who won an oscar for a performance i thought was terrible? al pacino - scent of a woman. overblown bag of gas. hammed up that role to the point of parody.

not in my opinion. i thought he did great. was very believable and i felt invested to see him succeed. dialogue isn't the only gauge of performance and i think physically, he excelled as well. you wanna know who won an oscar for a performance i thought was terrible? al pacino - scent of a woman. overblown bag of gas. hammed up that role to the point of parody.

Agreed. I get why he won tho. He was overdue. But Denzel shoulda won that year

HU AHH!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

I still really liked that movie :pimp:

Agreed. I get why he won tho. He was overdue. But Denzel shoulda won that year
And that's why Denzel won years later for Training Day where I'm sure there's a group of ppl that felt somebody else in that category got robbed that year.

That's where I can actually see some Academy corruption. Things probably started off fine, the best actor or actress won for that year but Hollywood bs, buying nominations and favoritism along the way probably caused ppl to not win when they should've. Probably as early as the 40s. Then even worse ppl who should've won but never did die so they can't even win one in a year they probably shouldn't have. So now you got them panicking looking at other aging greats and giving them Oscars while knowing they gotta give Oscars to the ppl they've snubbed years down the line while maintaining the appearance of integrity and awarding really good performances at the least not to look too transparent and corrupt.

If that fails you get bs like "honorary" Oscars and your rare posthumous awards.

Last edited:
And that's why Denzel won years later for Training Day where I'm sure there's a group of ppl that felt somebody else in that category got robbed that year.
true. as much as i love training day, i don't think he deserved the oscar for that performance. macy gray was almost as good as denzel in that movie and she only had like 2 lines :lol:

Idris Elba getting blessed twice by his peers at the SAG awards :pimp: :smokin

Got one for playing Luther and Commandant in Beasts of No Nation.

Leo gets best male lead again. All signs pointing to Oscar :smokin

SAG awards felt much better

shoutout to that speech from Orange is The New Black "look at this stage, this is diversity" :smokin

true. as much as i love training day, i don't think he deserved the oscar for that performance. macy gray was almost as good as denzel in that movie and she only had like 2 lines :lol:

Denzel's performance was like Lebron getting the 07 Cavs to the Finals.

It's one of the greatest pure movie star performance I've seen. :smokin

The only reason that film works is because of Denzels awesome charisma and star power, he makes you want to like him at every moment and you expect the film to redeem him at some point and it hurts when it never happens. Denzel provides the entertainment AND the emotional complexity.

Anton Fuqua entire filmography is filled with garbage, he's the damon jones of this analogy. :lol:

I be trying to root for Fuqua too :smh:

He's not even a bad director it's just a good deal of the stories he chooses to make don't turn out their best or weren't that good to begin with.

Speaking of nominations getting you better gigs you'd think he'd get one just for directing Denzel in to an Oscar winning performance.

Last edited:
Leonardo DiCaprio takes home the SAG Award for Male Actor in a Leading Role

giphy-56329f60-cfe7-43dc-87ef-8eeb6de5c823.gif

DiCaprio’s SAG win could be a good sign for his Oscar chances: Over the last 10 years, the SAG best actor winner has gone on to win in the same category at the Oscars 100 percent of the time.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/30/sag-awards-2016-leonardo-dicaprio

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scr...Performance_by_a_Male_Actor_in_a_Leading_Role

I just can't see the Academy letting Leo win, hopefully I'm wrong.

Why not?

This the same category that awarded Matthew McCon for god's sake :lol: not saying he's a bad actor, but he was an actor that did rom-coms for most of his career until a few years ago when he started taking serious roles. Leo on the other hand has consistently been in good movies so I don't find it hard to believe that he'll finally be rewarded. For all the "Academy hates Leo" cliche, he's actually been nominated 6 times, a lot more than a lot of other respected actors could say

Just wanted to add in that McConaughey didn't start out doing rom-coms. He was in great films prior to the rom-com period, which he admitted was just to make $$$.

Now he's one of the most sought after actors and can basically pick any role he wants.

Just wanted to add in that McConaughey didn't start out doing rom-coms. He was in great films prior to the rom-com period, which he admitted was just to make $$$.

Now he's one of the most sought after actors and can basically pick any role he wants.

True. He had some serious roles before that rom-com phase. But that's what most people remember him for, was that rom-com guy :lol: I know I did

McCon is the man tho

Last edited:

True. He had some serious roles before that rom-com phase. But that's what most people remember him for, was that rom-com guy
laugh.gif
I know I did

McCon is the man tho
Agreed, it took him some time to rid himself of that "stigma."

But he's made a return to form and can afford to do any film he wants.

I just can't see the Academy letting Leo win, hopefully I'm wrong.

I think the Academy likes to do make up calls.

I don't think Training Day was close to Denzel's best role.

Leo has had better roles, and I think they know that he could have one already. This is also a pretty weak year. His main competition is Michael Fassbender.

When has an actor one for best lead role at the GGs, Critic's Choice, and SAGs then not win the academy award?

Going off that SAG stat about best male lead winning that wins the Oscar 100% of the time I guess the answer to my above questions is that it's never happened.

So if the academy doesn't give it to Leo that would be a historic FU :lol: :smh: I doubt they do it.

When has an actor one for best lead role at the GGs, Critic's Choice, and SAGs then not win the academy award?

Going off that SAG stat about best male lead winning that wins the Oscar 100% of the time I guess the answer to my above questions is that it's never happened.

So if the academy doesn't give it to Leo that would be a historic FU
laugh.gif
mean.gif
I doubt they do it.
Is there any reason why he hasn't won an Oscar yet?

Did he smash someone and they're still bitter?

I can't make sense of it.

Like I said some times they're making up for years where they didn't give another actor that deserved an Oscar. Then there's times where somebody else was just better. The rest of the time I can't call it.

It's really only been a joke maybe the past decade about Leo never winning and that's only come up cuz ppl have felt he should've won one already. I don't think they have a vendetta or problem with him :lol: It's just been a good running joke. Leo is only 40 I think, it'd be different if he was 50 and had 20 years of remarkable performances with no Oscars.

^ I felt they pulled the same thing with Scorsese when he finally won a Best Director Oscar for The Departed.

A lot of people felt it was a long time coming and was more so an "hey, here's an Oscar for your entire career."

I think it's just bad luck. The years he was nominated, the competition was stacked and be lost to equally deserving actors. I have a problem with his nomination snubs though. I can think of 3 movies off the top of my head he shoulda been nominated for but didn't. Catch Me If You Can, Django, Titanic

Back
Top Bottom