Acute back pain or Sciatica or both?? Need help. Fit people chime in

I've had episodes of lower back pains growing up. I believe its mainly from bad posture when I was younger, I used to be heavy set, a bad mattress, and standing in flat shoes for 7 hours for 2 years at my previous job. Recently I got this pain around my hip, I thought it was a herniated disk because it happened following the day I worked the inner outer thigh area in the gym. My back was in pain and I couldn't sit without squirming around due to my leg aching or tingling. I visited a chiropractor, and the x-ray showed degenerative something in my l4 and l5 verterbrae and was told I can make a 90% recovery due to my age and what he saw from the tests he ran on me. Fast forward 2 weeks and I still got pains in the morning but they aren't as bad as they were 2 weeks ago because I did the doctor recommended stretching, icing treatment, and avoiding sitting too long. Now, I still really can't bend over fully. Walking and jogging doesn't seem to bother me though, in fact it feels like it helps. I've been recommended to work on strengthening my core now, but before that I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

I believed I had sciatica, to piroformis syndrome, to acute back pains :nerd: which is it? The chiropractor was too vague, and suggested I go to a spine doctor. I know most of you guys would probably suggest getting an MRI but before doing so what are some things I can do to determine if my condition is really bad and probably wont get any better unless I go? I can walk/jogg just fine. Sitting isn't so bad (anymore), I still get tingling in my left leg, I can still just about normal every day activities with little agitation, nothing real physical yet though. Help famb! Its a pain in the ***, literally.

Last edited:
I have a bad lower back that I havent gotten an xray for or anything yet, it isnt terrible but it sucks getting up in the am sometimes, I think its just soreness from deadlifting but who knows...

I have a bad lower back that I havent gotten an xray for or anything yet, it isnt terrible but it sucks getting up in the am sometimes, I think its just soreness from deadlifting but who knows...
is it pains just in your lower back? I don't really feel my lower back pains but it feels more nerve related. Like I get a pinch in my left leg in the mornings or calf tightness. It feels like a cramp. And does yours go away throughout the day?

Last edited:
Go get an mri of your lumbar spine if you feel pain there. You don't need to get it done with contrast.

The chiropractor was too vague, and suggested I go to a spine doctor.

Well, going to a real doctor is certainly better than going to a chiropractor lol

Anyway, I've dealt with recurring bouts of sciatica over the last year. It was never debilitating, but the burning sensation in my leg got bad enough to the point I went in to see a doctor. He gave me a stretching guide and told me to focus on changing my sleeping positions (something I've been dealing with my whole adult life). He also said to quit with the crunches at the gym (which is how I got there in the first place). Anything that keeps your back as straight as possible the better. Sitting for long periods of time puts more stress on your back than you think. Running and jogging obviously do as well. Walking puts the least amount of stress on your back. If you do a proper lower back stretches and walk 45 minutes every day (or, hell, every other day), you'll be in much better shape.

Just those little things turned it all around for me. I get flare ups from time to time, but they're so weak I'd hardly even classify them as mild.

Also, lose some weight if you need to. Even losing ten pounds (I was around 200 back then), made a huge difference.

Well, going to a real doctor is certainly better than going to a chiropractor lol

Anyway, I've dealt with recurring bouts of sciatica over the last year. It was never debilitating, but the burning sensation in my leg got bad enough to the point I went in to see a doctor. He gave me a stretching guide and told me to focus on changing my sleeping positions (something I've been dealing with my whole adult life). He also said to quit with the crunches at the gym (which is how I got there in the first place). Anything that keeps your back as straight as possible the better. Sitting for long periods of time puts more stress on your back than you think. Running and jogging obviously do as well. Walking puts the least amount of stress on your back. If you do a proper lower back stretches and walk 45 minutes every day (or, hell, every other day), you'll be in much better shape.

Just those little things turned it all around for me. I get flare ups from time to time, but they're so weak I'd hardly even classify them as mild.

Also, lose some weight if you need to. Even losing ten pounds (I was around 200 back then), made a huge difference.
I used to be 220lbs when I was in my early 20s. I lost all that weight and weigh 165 currently, I know a real doctor would help but at this point I don't see much they can do if surgery isn't required besides maybe an injection. My pain has decreased substantially from the first chiropractor visit 2 weeks ago so I was wondering if anyone else just had acute back probs and actually rehabilitated themselves by exercises. When I google stuff I just come across people who suffer from it for years and years and it worries me but I don't think mine is that extreme. I only feel like sometimes my nerve is being irritated and it makes it hard to sit sometimes and in the mornings I have an ache in my left leg. Thanks for the advice I've definitely been stretching a lot and it feels really good.

Have you tried Yoga?

How much sitting do you do?

How often do you stretch?

At my new job I sit maybe 2 hours at the longest but I actually get up when I feel tired from sitting and can walk around and stretch my legs if needed. I'm also in college so the longest amount of times I'll be sitting without getting up is approx 1-2 hours. I now stretch every chance I can get. I've been doing these and found they help alleviate the pains the most so far View media item 1704267 I haven't tried yoga but I've tried some advanced stretching poses like the king pigeon when i first visited had the back/leg pains and man it was tough. I was so stiff, its gotten better. This is the 3rd week so far. Before I had back pains with no leg/nerve pains but since I developed a weird nerve pain thats what started worrying me.

I never really had any back pain. It was almost exclusively in my left leg.

I never really had any back pain. It was almost exclusively in my left leg.
was it just one leg or both leg and did it feel nerve related? I actually jogged for about 10 mins last night and did some core strengthening exercises. Still got pains this morning but actually slept a little better. just slightly though.

I'm a huge advocate of natural healing and can praise numerous methods that have helped me over the years. Majority of my pain and stiffness lie in my lower back as well. I have scoliosis, which unfortunately is only corrected by surgery (which i'm not willing to do at this point). However, to keep the pain at bay without using medication, I use a cold compress. After i do any exercises that cause a tweak in my back, I put a cold compress on it. Cold is by far the number one best natural remedy for pain! Also, focus on your posture. That is really important. I agree that yoga helps a lot. I suggest getting an xray and mri. I dealt with the pain for years before knowing it was scoliosis. Wish you all the best.

Also stop putting your wallet in your back pocket if you do. That lends to a lit of sitting crooked over the years.

sciatica is usually a sharp pain and you would feel it in your booty cheek, its usually not both cheeks

anytime you pinch a nerve it feels like a sharp pain

I'm a huge advocate of natural healing and can praise numerous methods that have helped me over the years. Majority of my pain and stiffness lie in my lower back as well. I have scoliosis, which unfortunately is only corrected by surgery (which i'm not willing to do at this point). However, to keep the pain at bay without using medication, I use a cold compress. After i do any exercises that cause a tweak in my back, I put a cold compress on it. Cold is by far the number one best natural remedy for pain! Also, focus on your posture. That is really important. I agree that yoga helps a lot. I suggest getting an xray and mri. I dealt with the pain for years before knowing it was scoliosis. Wish you all the best.

You shouldn't get back surgery unless your back problems are affecting motor functions. A pinched nerve can be relieved by simply getting more exercise and stretching.

A common test for sciatica is the straight leg raise. It's not definitive, but if you can re-create the pain with this test then sciatica is likely your problem, or at least 1 part your problem.

View media item 1813244
Back pain is a killer. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hope you feel better.

Last edited:
sciatica is usually a sharp pain and you would feel it in your booty cheek, its usually not both cheeks

The sharp pain is the easy part to deal with. It's the burning sensation that radiates up and down your leg that is the worst. Had problems sleeping with that going on.

good thread.  I have flare ups from Degenerative Disc Disease from time to time, can barely get out of bed some when it's really bad

i used a tens unit and some heat.

The sharp pain is the easy part to deal with. It's the burning sensation that radiates up and down your leg that is the worst. Had problems sleeping with that going on.
You must've had a pretty serious situation, mine was pretty bad but I never had a burning sensation

**** like laying down, getting up, walking up and down stairs, driving,all caused serious pain when I pinched mine especially if I didn't take any anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers, but I never felt a burning sensation going up and down my leg, it was sharp and cold when I would do the stretches posted above

You must've had a pretty serious situation, mine was pretty bad but I never had a burning sensation

**** like laying down, getting up, walking up and down stairs, driving,all caused serious pain when I pinched mine especially if I didn't take any anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers, but I never felt a burning sensation going up and down my leg, it was sharp and cold when I would do the stretches posted above

It wasn't that bad. It was never debilitating and I had full motion and everything. It was just a burning sensation that was exacerbated when I'd lie down. It would only last for a little while, then go away eventually. But I couldn't fall asleep until it went away.

Back
Top Bottom