American Sniper

Cooper was fantastic. The movie as a whole was okay.

the more i think about it the more my feelings about the film are pretty much what you said. its a solid film. but far from eastwood's best work. maybe it was the source material. idk, but cooper's acting was more moving than the film itself. the whole film's pace was fast to me idk, but more importantly, it was more an action flick and less a movie that delved deeper into character development.

this is why hanks and speilberg won with saving private ryan and especially band of brothers. the direction and writing never glorified the war, and it wasn't stylized. i mean action scenes were great..but they weren't emphasized. i don't know how else to describe it, but man you can see the difference.

black hawk down is a perfect example of that. movie was set in a civil war, but really it was just bullets bullets, rpg, gore, miniguns, and a whole lot of black people dying. you never got the sense you were in a civil war setting or even that the intention was to use american forces to prevent further violence, the latter of which, the US failed.

but if u look at say...tears of the sun, at the very least it illustrated the atrocities of which the movie is set in.

idk..im rambling, but i just think there are like two different types of war movies..glorifying it, and just telling it. american sniper really glorified it.

Just saw the movie, great movie and Cooper did an excellent job! Might check out the book next.

Read that Michael Moore thinks snipers are cowards... smh.

I homeboys are calling this a propaganda piece. :lol:

Is the "Hell yeah Murica" rhetoric really that strong in the movie brahs?

Last edited:
This movie is the most blatant display of pro-war propaganda since Patton.

Patton had some beautiful cinematography though. Come on Clint, you're better than this.

This movie is the most blatant display of pro-war propaganda since Patton.

Patton had some beautiful cinematography though. Come on Clint, you're better than this.

Reminded me of Inglorious Basterds. On top of the fact that Chris Kyle was a known liar and racist. There was probably more life lessons learned in Wedding Ringer than there was in this film.

I agree that Snipers are cowards. Especially when they try to quickscope me.
mean.gif

Read that Michael Moore thinks snipers are cowards... smh.

He's not the only one. There is a reason why they place bounties on the heads of snipers and why they are given cyanide capsules.

Last edited:
I didn't like the movie. If you're going to make a movie based on a true story, don't make the main plot line totally false. The real Kyle never encountered the sniper that the movie Kyle spent 4 tours trying to kill. The real Kyle had an interesting enough story, no need to add the BS plot lines. The depiction of the Iraqi sniper is hilarious as well. Dude always wore a black bandanna, and had Assassin's Creed like ability to jump between buildings. Eastwood turned a war story into a Western. The Iraqi sniper became Johnny Ringo. Also, the whole idea of Kyle going back to war three times to kill one person makes him seem like a petulant child. It's hard to be behind his revenge lust when you know he has kids and a wife at home.

I didn't like the movie. If you're going to make a movie based on a true story, don't make the main plot line totally false. The real Kyle never encountered the sniper that the movie Kyle spent 4 tours trying to kill. The real Kyle had an interesting enough story, no need to add the BS plot lines. The depiction of the Iraqi sniper is hilarious as well. Dude always wore a black bandanna, and had Assassin's Creed like ability to jump between buildings. Eastwood turned a war story into a Western. The Iraqi sniper became Johnny Ringo. Also, the whole idea of Kyle going back to war three times to kill one person makes him seem like a petulant child. It's hard to be behind his revenge lust when you know he has kids and a wife at home.

Lol what how did you get he went back to kill that sniper from the movie. Dude clearly explains why he went back he only wanted revenge once the sniper killed his boy.

I know that my post is going to be controversial, but I feel that a lot of these war movies along with Lone Survivor and such are nothing but pro-war propaganda. And yes I watched Lone Survivor on HBO, but after watching it if you don't see the movie for what it is then you aren't looking hard enough.I have deep respect for the people who serve as I have plenty of friends who did their time as both officers and just regular old enlisted. Hell, a few are planning to be in the military for the long haul. But I've also seen the destruction that their time has done to them as individuals from personal experiences and from the stories that their parents and significant others have told me.

Now while their actions are valorous, the level of praise that soldiers receive in the US is way out of line IMO. They are nothing but puppets for special interest groups if nothing more but fail to realize it. Why are we sending all these kids out for these pointless wars? We had a lot of people who did very badly after the Vietnam war (I have an uncle and met some of his friends who went through this), and it's not going to be any different now with this generation, actually it'll be worse.

Lol what how did you get he went back to kill that sniper from the movie. Dude clearly explains why he went back he only wanted revenge once the sniper killed his boy.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. He spent the entirety of the movie pursuing the sniper though and returns to kill him.

Yea...I'm gonna pass
Add another one to the collection:

No race/ethnicity/religion comes close to how negatively Arabs/Muslims are portrayed in movies and media in general. I remember when Siskel & Ebert dedicated an entire segment to accusing Spike Lee of anti semitism when he made Mo' Better Blues, but Arabs to this day are constantly portrayed in the same manner that Jews were in Nazi propaganda movies of the 1930s and there's apparently nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom